• 1560 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 4139 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Mage Rework:

Discussion in 'Champions' started by Bossitiveplays, Nov 30, 2019.

?

Do you also believe that the Mage class should focus generally on support/defense?

Poll closed Dec 7, 2019.
  1. Yes, and your ideas would with the rework.

20.0%
  2. Yes

20.0%
  3. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, Mage should stay the way it is, able to preform many roles, but never able to really exceed.

60.0%
  1. Lately as you are all aware there has been many imbalances with the classes in Champions, this post is to not discuss changes on those but rather a rework on a certain favored class of mine, the gold armor "Mage" class. Describing mage is simple; Mage is a jack-of-all-trades, master of none and this is very true because in terms of roles it fills on the battlefield it is a generalist which fills many roles but it doesn't focus on one. Let's face it, Mage's main focus should be support and defense.

For starters, mage does horrible on offense, pretending that all players have equal skill, if you put a mage that has an offensive build against offensive classes the mage will almost certainly lose. Mage shouldn't have the capability of being on offense and should focus more on helping their allies or defending with their allies rather than being on the front lines. I find this very important because there are not really classes that specialize primarily in support/defense. Brute is mainly offense, Knight is offense/defense, and Assassin is offense. Ranger is an interesting topic because like mage it can take on many roles. A healer because of it's healing arrow, defensive, or offensive because of the many abilities that class has. What makes Ranger different from Mage however is it's dependence on arrows. I want mage to be the support/defense kit, the "elements" of the skills currently in place are very important to the class. Each of these elements have their own attributes which make it what it is. Fire: Speed and damage, consistent damage. Ice: Slowness, resistance, and barriers. Earth: Knockback, slowness, healing, barriers, damage. Lightning: Damage, shock, slow. A part of mage that is very important is the variety of moves that apply status effects to those hit by the skills. Lightning Orb will shock opponents, inferno will burn targets, fissure will slow enemies. Mage is a very complex kit because it relies on magic skills and tactical strategies to be effective in battle.

Posted Nov 30, 2019
  2. Hey,

When you said, this "mage does horribly on offence, pretending that all players have equal skill." A mage can be used for Defense and Offence in many ways. Like perhaps if a player was using Immolate and they have a variety of good builds that they can use to defend themselves. Mages are technically a unique class, in my opinion, because I use it a lot, and I'm usually just supporting life bonds. Still, fighting with Mage, I've won many battles only using Immolate since I'm given strength to compete with. "Brute is mainly offence, Knight is offence/defence, and Assassin is an offence." I would agree with this because I mainly see everyone using Brute as in my opinion Knight and Brute are technically the same thing (in my opinion.) I do agree assassin is an offence 100%. I also half-way agree that Ranger is an exciting topic for most clans players. A mage can be used for both roles. I've seen in clans all my opponents use mage since they say, "It's the best kit." According to them. But either way, I think Mage can be supported both ways of Defence/Offense.

I'll be saying no to this because Mage shouldn't be changed since it can handle many roles. It also depends on how you are contributing to using the kit and abilities.

Posted Nov 30, 2019
    Bossitiveplays and SpitefulNick like this.
  3. Okay,

For starters, I noticed in your reply you interpreted some things wrong. I am aware that mage can be used for defense and offense. What I'm trying to tell everyone who reads this is that Mage should focus on support/defense and not offense because offense is not it's strongest asset which is why I introduced a scenario of why mage wouldn't win in an even skilled fight.

Secondly, I'm glad you said "in your opinion" for your thought on knight because knight is not like brute... Feel free to tell me your thoughts on how they are the same. I'd like to see another perspective on that.

Thirdly, I don't know how you introduced clans for the ranger class. I did notice that you said your opponents always use mage. I'm not sure what server you are on, as far as I know all of the clan servers (At least the competetive ones) tend to run Assassin and occasionally other classes. Mage definitely is not the best kit because it is so easy to destroy. Mages almost always get dropped by Assassins. I always drop mages if I'm an Assassin and if I'm a mage I get dropped by an Assasin. Now if you put Mage against other classes, the outcome is determined by who has the better setup. For instance, if you fight a knight that is not running hold position or defensive stance and use void ice prison mage, unless the mage is bad, the mage will always win that fight. And that even goes for fighting Assassins to, but the Assassin will usually still win (Especially if they are good).

All I'm trying to say is, the way Mage is now, it's offensive ability is bad while it's supportive role isn't. Instead of making Mage the only jack-of-all-trades class, give Mage a use on the Battlefiel; make the class it's own thing.

Lastly, I just want to thank you for taking the time to reply to this thread even if you don't agree with me. I did see that we saw eye-to-eye on some things.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Nov 30, 2019
    Cheatrr likes this.