• 0 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • Players Online
  • 0 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Lower the cost of arrows

Discussion in 'Cake Wars' started by iUseIntel, Nov 21, 2018.

?

Do you think the arrow price should change?

1. I agree, the arrow price should be lowered.

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  2. I disagree, the arrow price is fine where it is.

11 vote(s)
    55.0%
  1. iUseIntel

iUseIntel

Not really much explanation needed here, I just think the arrow price is too high for just three. If I had the choice, the arrow price would be 6 bricks for 3 arrows, let me know if you guys agree with me or if you think the arrow price is fine where it is!

Posted Nov 21, 2018
    FreezaSama likes this.
  2. Considering how much a single arrow can do... no. I don't think the price of arrows should be lowered. They're not generally used to deal damage. They're generally used for their knockback. Judging by the enchantments they can come with on spawned islands, that's why they were implemented into the game.
    Then again, I do play on Bedrock edition, so maybe there's something I don't know about Java edition Cake Wars that I'm not factoring in.

Posted Nov 21, 2018,
    Last edited Nov 21, 2018
  3. iUseIntel

iUseIntel

Right I play the Java server, and while arrows certainly aren't used for damage, obviously, I still think they're too expensive. Aside from archer kit, they are completely worthless except in late game when everyone's generators are crazy powerful. Side anecdote that kind of relates to this topic, many a time have I accidentally bought arrows instead of something else, and that's 12 whole bricks down the drain, in the early game. It's really annoying, especially when there's an archer kit on the other team and you can't do anything because you spent all of your bricks on things like a pickaxe, armor, a sword, etc..

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Nov 21, 2018
  4. 12 bricks? I didn't know it was that much on Java.
    That is the worse! It's not just with arrows, either. Oftentimes, I'll find myself with platforms instead of regular wool when I'm trying to cover my cake or make a decently long bridge. I think they need to rethink the shop GUI.

Posted Nov 21, 2018
  5. coralines

coralines

We have already discussed this topic in General GI not too long ago, but most people agreed with keeping arrows at 18 bricks (the idea was to lower the price to something like 12-15 bricks).
    Edit: apparently the arrow price decreased to 12, but no changelog can be found on the matter... weird stuff but that’s already a big decrease.

As to why this change was rejected, it’s mainly because of how overpowered arrows can be, especially early game. Just think of last year and how “broken” Archer was, when your spawn with a bow and arrows, and deaths would be flying around over the first minute of the game. That specific gameplay isn’t greatly looked upon, considering people still wanna be able to bridge around without dying every time they make an attempt.

Now, I know this kind of defeats the purpose of using a bow or the archer kit overall, hence why changes are being worked on currently to make the kit more appealing to others.

If you have any suggestions on the matter, please feel free to drop them here on the forums or in the General GI discord to furtherly discuss your ideas. In my opinion, the current system is fine, although I do have to admit sometimes I find myself buying something I didn’t mean to buy (like shears instead of obsidian). So feel free to bring up any new disposition you might have in mind for the shop(s).

One last thing on the matter. If you find yourself in a similar scenario, you can easily win a fight by outsmarting the archer person. Here you have a few examples to do so:
    1. Buy pearls and pearl behind their back, so you can throw them into the void before they even realize you’re there.
    2. Use the new chicken portal to TP to the other base.
    3. Use deploying platforms to increase your path/bridge and make it wider, with less chances to get thrown in the void.
    4. Make a bridge that goes upwards instead of just straight towards a player or base.

Posted Nov 22, 2018,
    Last edited Nov 22, 2018
  6. PeytonSam

PeytonSam

Lowering the price of arrows isn't needed, it was already lowered once. Plus, In my opinion it would render the archer kit less meaningful.

Posted Nov 22, 2018
    Evence likes this.
  7. I'm still trying to figure out how Discord works, unfortunately. It looks... messy, and I don't know where to post anything.
    I guess I can suggest something on the forums when I come up with a more fleshed out idea.

Posted Nov 22, 2018
    coralines likes this.
  8. coralines

coralines

That works too, absolutely. Feel free to drop it either here in the Cake Wars section or in the Game Alterations one, and we will bring it up in our General Game Insights discord. The more detailed, the better of course.

Posted Nov 23, 2018
  9. Pancake_7

Pancake_7

Heyo!
    As a cake wars addict, I can understand where you're coming from. At first thought, I entirely agreed with this - but on second, I changed my mind completely. When cake wars first came out (and months after), each player started with a bow and the archers were given arrows. It was really OP because whenever people bridged to middle in the beginning, an archer could easily knock them off. This was changed and now you have to buy a bow and arrow instead of originally spawning with a bow. If the arrow costs were lowered to six, I feel as if it would once again become OP, although hardly not as OP as it has been. Additionally, if the arrow price were to change, the archer kit wouldn't be as good as it is right now and I think archer kit is at the right place in terms of the kit's power.
    If there is to be any change at all, I personally believe that the price of the arrows should stay the same, but the amount of arrows given when a player buys the arrows should change.
    Have a great day!

Posted Nov 23, 2018
  10. A lot of testing has gone into the economy of Cake Wars. The arrow price is good where it's at, any lower and you could have a lot of arrow spammers and such and that doesn't make for fun gameplay.

Posted Nov 23, 2018
  11. I cant agree with lowering the amount of arrows, I know for a fact that arrows are a very valuable asset in combat where you dont want the enemy to get close. I have had situations where people spam arrows from a block away just to keep me from hitting them, I do not like this so them having more would make it even less of a fun experience.

Posted Dec 6, 2018
  12. iUseIntel

iUseIntel

Hey everyone, thanks for replying to the thread! I really appreciate the ideas, and they've certainly given me some things to consider. Something I've seen in a lot of replies is that the archer kit would become less meaningful. Not really, since almost no one uses the archer kit anyways. Also, even when you use the archer kit, you still have to spend a lot of bricks for the early game on buying a bow everytime you die. So, to combat this, maybe an archer could spawn with a permanent bow? In order to balance that, we could just lower the rate that the archer gets arrows. Addressing coraline,
    Right, but the chicken portal costs 20 emeralds, which defeats the purpose of countering arrows, which cost 12 bricks. Not saying that the chicken portal price should be lowered, that's fine where it's at, but still, the economics of it, say, 20 bricks to an emerald, according to the shop, you're losing a lot of bricks just to take out a bow spammer. I do like the idea of ender pearling, but the issue with that solution is that in the early game, which is what I'm discussing, is that emerald beacons are claimed and reclaimed all the time, which doesn't provide a lot of time to build up a substantial amount of emeralds. Deploy platforms, though they reduce the risk of getting knocked off, the knockback on Mineplex is weird, sometimes I take almost nothing, sometimes I get thrown into orbit by a single hit. I don't see what you mean when you say making a bridge upwards would stop this? Bows have a lot of range, and by the time you get out of bow range, you probably will be too high to drop down and do anything to a team without dying of fall damage.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Dec 6, 2018
  13. CourierID

CourierID

Cake wars doesn't really have too many forms of long ranged knock back. I feel like having the price so high is actually a good thing. If it was really low no one would ever pick the archer class. Aside from the archer class, having the price high also helps with spam. One team with good aim could just snipe every person coming onto a bridge immediately if the arrow price was too low. With it being higher, they would need to prioritize other things like capturing points. Overall I like the price just where it is.

Posted Dec 6, 2018