• 345 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 8783 Players Online
  • 8438 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Low fps please help

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by Lopp_, Oct 12, 2019 at 5:59 PM.

1. Hey
    My low fps started about a week ago. I was fine the day before and I had been fine 5 years ago but when I logged into Mineplex that day I had unplayable fps out of nowhere. I hoped that things would be better the next day but it continued. I went on an EU server however and that was fine but then on any US server I played I would have about 1-20fps. I'm aware that my 6 year old i5 processor windows 10 laptop is very budget but it was actually quite good until now. I never even had optifine because it wouldn't install when I clicked it. I still can't run optifine with Minecraft but now I feel like I need it whereas I didn't need it back then.

The lag usually happens near particles and I have particles on minimum also I used to be able to play with particles set to "all" without lag. I feel as though most replies will tell me that I need a better/newer pc but I'm not getting a new one anytime soon so does anyone know how I can resolve this low fps issue without optifine or is optifine essential to have? This fps makes me unable to play my favorite games so this might mean that I quit the server.

Posted Oct 12, 2019 at 5:59 PM
  2. Hey, I got a new PC yesterday and I'm also having some issues with optimizing the game. It would be really great if you could tell us if you are experiencing low FPS on Mineplex / multiplayer only or if it's also the case on a singleplayer world, because that would help determine the cause of this issue.

For now, I am going to assume that you have low FPS on Minecraft in general. Seeing as Optifine can enhance the performance in many ways, it would be great if you could invest some time in trying to get Optifine to work, but if it's not an option, there are still other things you can do. Since you're using Windows, you can right click on your desktop and open the graphics card settings. Once there, look for a setting called vSync and disable it (also do so in your Minecraft settings), and if it's possible, adjust any setting that provides better performance. Secondly, within Minecraft itself, change settings in order to optimize performance by setting e.g. clouds off, particles minimal, etc. - there are numerous articles on the internet that should contain the best set of video settings options if you haven't touched them a lot. There is also the option to increase the amount of RAM allocated to Minecraft by editing configuration settings of the game in the Minecraft launcher. If you click on "more options", on the right you should see a bunch of text that starts with something along the lines of "Xmx=2G". If the number is low (e.g. 1G) then try changing it to about 75% of your RAM. Finally, try defragmenting your PC, deleting junk files if they're taking up too much space, physically cleaning your laptop and checking for malware as last resorts.

Hopefully you'll find some of this helpful. Good luck, hope to see you back on the server soon!

Posted Oct 12, 2019 at 6:33 PM
    Xion likes this.
  3. kinda not giving a ton of information. does this happen in servers besides mineplex? does it happen in all games or just mc? have you noticed your laptop slowing down as a whole or is it just in games? you seem to get fps confused with ping at some point
    the way you phrase this is... confusing, to say the least. can you give us more info? it's really hard to help when "my laptop was fine but now i get low fps" is all we get

Posted Oct 12, 2019 at 6:42 PM
  4. I'm sorry to hear that you're encountering low FPS in-game, I agree with @Thenorn above that trying to get Optifine to work would boost your FPS tremendously. Make sure that you have Java installed on your computer because Optifine will not open without it. Playing on an EU or US server shouldn't affect your in-game FPS as that will only affect your ping which isn't related to FPS. Also as stated above, try allowing Minecraft to have access to more RAM, but make sure to check to see how much your computer has in total because setting it too high could cause you to encounter some problems. Also, have you recently installed any mods? I notice you said you've only recently starting encountering this issue and any mods you've installed could be messing with your FPS. If you have, try uninstalling them and try again. If not, maybe try re-installing Minecraft as a whole? Hopefully any of these answers provided you with a solution.

Posted Oct 12, 2019 at 6:44 PM
  5. Completely skip trying to install Optifine, and just install Badlion Client instead. It installs optifine for you and it also proves a wicked 10-30 fps boost!!

But when I look at this
    It sounds like what you mean by "fps" is actually just your internet acting up..

Posted Oct 12, 2019 at 6:47 PM
  6. Can you share what specs you have on your pc? In other words, what parts are put together to create your pc, eg cpu's and gpu's, ram etc. If you are running on an old computer, the hardware will eventually wear out and you'll need to upgrade your parts. Running minecraft off a GPU always increases your fps, I use a GTX 1060 6Gb, which is mid-range and good quality! Taking the stress off your CPU will optimise your fps to the best performance!

Posted Oct 12, 2019 at 6:47 PM
  7. completely ignoring the fact that op has a laptop so almost all of your advice doesn't apply...

OP says he has an older laptop so a GPU is probably out of the question, probably just running off of their cpu's integrated graphics. i'm also gonna go ahead and assume that if their laptop is 5+ years old, they have a mid-end broadwell-skew i5 and either 4 or 8gb of ram. not prime conditions for gaming, but definitely playable.

eh... not necessarily. a large majority of pc upgrades are made because the user isn't satisfied with the performance of their parts compared to what's now available (new releases and generations), not because they actually "wore out". hell, i have a dell optiplex in my closet somewhere that hasn't been turned on since the bush administration and it probably still runs fine. worst-case scenario i'd have to do a little dusting.

this is just straight up not true. an apu like a ryzen 5 2400g is going to give anything at the level of a gt 1030 or similar spec from older lineups a run for its money. a discrete gpu will almost always be more powerful than just a cpu, yes, but you can definitely game with an apu or even a high-end cpu with integrated graphics.

also not entirely true. most games are either cpu or gpu-bound. minecraft is cpu bound, which is why the processor you have will always have more of an impact than your gpu, because comparatively, it's not doing nearly as much work due to the way the engine works, optimization, the graphics, etc. a lot of the time, it's not really "taking stress off the cpu" - it's just giving the game something much, MUCH more powerful to draw from for its purposes.

Posted Oct 12, 2019 at 9:59 PM
  8. I might want to recommend turning mip map levels off as I feel as if I have improved fps doing that. Sure it may look bad, but at least its playable. You might also want to reboot wifi, or log out of minecraft itself and back in.

Posted Oct 12, 2019 at 10:12 PM
  9. I used to have this problem as well, you can minimize lag just with standard settings in minecraft but installing optifine is the only way to completely remove particle lag as far as I know. Hope this helps!

Posted Oct 12, 2019 at 10:29 PM
  10. Sorry that I haven't explained enough I will try to say now. In single player I'm fine and in most EU servers I'm also fine however when I go into any US server I get low fps. This to me doesn't make much sense because I don't get connection lag it's all fps lag. In my video settings I have everything in there to reduce lag for example, clouds are off, graphics are on fast, vSync is off, smooth lighting is off, entity shadows are off... And you get the picture.

Now let's talk about optifine, I have it on my desktop but when I right clicked it "run with Java" was not an option so I clicked "find other apps to open with" and I looked in my downloads folder. I found Java(TM) platform binary in there from years ago which I know is Minecraft. I selected that and then it said "do you want optifine to make changes to your device?". I then clicked "yes" and then "unable to install Java" came up on my screen. I tried multiple times with it not working. Im also not an expert on PCs because I have been on consoles for the past 2 years. Minecraft is the only game I have used it for so I can't test other games for fps. I did install fortnite a long time ago which is when my Minecraft was fine but my budget laptop could not run fortnite well so I deleted it.
    If I'm still unclear, please tell me and you can criticize me for anything stupid that I have done/said. Thank you.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Oct 13, 2019 at 5:14 AM
  11. In this case, try looking for factors that cause lag. By that I mean, if you experience low FPS near particles or in certain games, while elsewhere you do not, it might be crucial information. Anyhow, if you find the server related cause(s), it would be of great help if you could fill a bug report here.

As for Optifine, I had this problem as well, and I couldn't run it properly. What I did was reinstall Java, and after that I could open it with the program without any issues. If you still cannot run it after doing so, please let me know. :)

Posted Oct 13, 2019 at 10:27 AM