• 310 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 8748 Players Online
  • 8438 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion Location Command

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by Valses, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Hello!

I think that Mineplex should add a command that would broadcast your coordinates to all the teammates on your team. Why? This is because in games such as Team Survival Games, Bridges, or even Cake Wars, you sometimes need a way to quickly communicate your location to your teammates. Adding a command that could do this would allow for better teamwork and coordination. It also makes it less of a hassle to describe the area that you are in or to manually write your coordinates. Some examples of when this could be necessary are in a game, if your teammate was on the other side of the map needing help, they could simply type in the command, and you would know exactly where they are.
    Just to clarify, this command would only broadcast your location in your team's chat. You would not be able to see another teammate's location with this command unless they specifically ran the command.

Thank you for reading my thread.

Posted Sep 21, 2019,
    Last edited Sep 22, 2019
    Wiz_Techno and qdf like this.
  2. Hey there!

This is a nice idea but don’t think it would be useful; if you type a hashtag before your message, you would be able to access the team message where you can as a team communicate and to check your coordinates, simply press f3 and you’ll see it on the left hand side.

I’ll have to give this idea a -1 as I think it wouldn’t be as efficient as our current system of having a private team chat.

Code:
     # Hello
    This would display Hello as a team message that can be viewed by all your teammates.

Posted Sep 21, 2019
  3. It can be a bit of a hassle to open f3 and then look at the coordinates and also having to type it in chat. Typing a simple command like this would automatically broadcast your coordinates in team chat. Especially if you are running from someone, you might not have time to check your coordinates and type it in team chat. Having a command like this, you can just type the command in while you are running.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 21, 2019
  4. Hey! I definitely think there's precedence for an idea like this, and it currently exists in Mineplex's Clans game-mode. When you type /c, or /c <ally's name> you can see the coordinates of your team mates and allies. In Survival Games, this wouldn't work, though, obviously. The next best thing I can imagine is a command to locate your team members, for example "/coords" which parses and lists your team members and their coordinates. This would be applicable to games such as Team Survival Games, The Bridges, and more.

However, with convenience comes a drawback which @THELichCA has indirectly stated. You lower your skill cap by reducing the NEED for communication between team members. If you don't have to ask, and all you have to do is type /coords to get someone's location, it cuts away from communication, which believe it or not is a huge skill, especially if you take it up to the competitive levels.

So, it's a +0 from me. (Or -0 if you're a glass half zero kind of guy)

Posted Sep 21, 2019
    Wiz_Techno likes this.
  5. I can understand where you're coming from, however in competitive scrims, this could be extremely helpful and make communication between teammates more efficient as well as also enhancing coordination. This is because it takes less time to communicate the player's location, therefore allowing teammates to act more quickly.

OP OP
  6. Although this would be slightly convenient, I feel like it’s not totally necessary. I can see where this can be useful in games with large maps such as Bridges and Survival games but I don’t see it having that much use in Cake Wars, Super Smash Mobs, or other games on the network. It takes about the same amount of steps to check your coordinates and to type in it chat compared to typing /location and broadcasting it to your teammates. Either way, you’re going to be taking the steps to type something and for the same purpose. Since the coordinates in F3 already give you the location and you can just type it in team chat, this suggestion will be a -1 from me. Thank you for your suggestion though.

Posted Sep 21, 2019
    THELichCA likes this.
  7. Thanks for your input, however with this command, it could be shortened to /lc, so you would only really have to push 3 keys. If you had to do it the other way, you would have to open F3, check the coords, and then write them in chat, which could take a longer time than just typing /lc.

OP OP
  8. No, that's exactly my point. Communication is a skill REQUIRED for competitive game-play which would be eroded by a command like this, as it removes the need for communication. This isn't what we want, as communication is what's supposed to separate the good individual players from an amazing team.

Hope I could clarify!

Posted Sep 21, 2019
  9. Thanks for responding! In competitive scrims, communication is done mainly through calls, and having a command like this can be helpful to clarify as sometimes it can be hard to hear exact things that people are saying via mic. Also, relating to what you said about asking, this command will tell your location to your teammates upon running the command, if you run the command, it will not show your teammate's location. Teammates can still ask for your location, however instead of having to type the coordinates out, you could just type this command.

OP OP
    ClansGI likes this.
  10. With that added bit in mind, while I will always be a more analog-kinda-guy, I do think this has some place in the game and could potentially work. Here's food for thought. We currently use the emoji system (i.e :shrug:) for emojis. What if I could say. "#yo, meet me at :coords:" and my coords are parsed into the message. Ye or Nay?

Posted Sep 21, 2019
    Wiz_Techno and Valses like this.
  11. That could work as well and sounds like an interesting idea. Maybe the two could be combined somehow.

OP OP
    ClansGI likes this.
  12. Hey!

I understand what you're trying to say with this idea and I do like it. It would be helpful (in some games) to find out where your teammates are so you won't get lost and have a better chance of winning the game. I do agree with the fact that you could easily just press f3 and look at your coordinates and then tell your teammates, though that would take a little longer to do. But, it basically does exactly what you said so there isn't really a reason to add it. Also I have another way that this could be added:

Instead of showing the coordinates, you should be given a map that shows all of the map. It would show where your teammate is and where you are. But, this would only really work out in some games like Survival Games and Skywars. If this way were to be added, it would be easier and quicker to find your teammate and go to them. All you have to do is look at a map. Though, not sure how this would really work out. But just something similar to that.

Overall, I don't really see why this is needed because there is a way that you can do this but it just takes a little longer. But, I'll give it a 0 right now because I'm not totally against it but not with it either. I would like to see other posts on this idea and see what they think. I might change my mind later. Thank you for suggesting this though!

Posted Sep 22, 2019
  13. Thanks for your reply! As for the map, I've played Team Survival Games before and it has the map; I think it gets in the way a little because it's a little big and partially obstructs your view, which can distract you if something happens. As with the F3, I find it a little confusing as there's so many different things being shown there once you press it, so I think that it is more simple and also more easy to just have a command, also this can't be done very quickly if you are getting chased and need help.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 22, 2019
  14. Personally I’ve never really used coordinates in Minecraft or most likely in Survival games. I find it too much of a hassle to keep looking up at the coords in f3 and figure out if I’m going the right way. Usually when a supply drop comes I just look in the sky for the bright beacon. A decent amount of players usually stay with their teammate for the whole game or text to each other in chat or voice call to find out their location. It does sound like a cool concept but I doubt that it would be that useful.

Posted Sep 22, 2019
    Valses likes this.
  15. I can understand why you’d want something like this added because it can be really annoying trying to find your team mates but I’m not sure whether this will be a good idea.

Some people don't know how to follow coordinates. I know this may be the minority, but this genuinely wouldn’t help people that don’t understand how to read coordinates or how to see the coordinates page (F3). I would hate to see Mineplex invest into implementing this idea and then seeing nobody know how to use it.

I have a different idea as to how team mates can be found in-game, I think that everyone should start with a separate compass that constantly shows the location of the teammate, that way you can just follow it if you ever get lost. I think it would be much easier to understand for newer or inexperienced players than coordinates.

Overall, the idea is good but I feel as if a more universal method needs to be implemented instead.

Posted Sep 22, 2019
  16. For those who don't know how to follow coordinates, this is null anyways because the argument "they could just press f3 and say their coordinates" is invalid.

Posted Sep 22, 2019
  17. I have no idea how to use coordinates to be honest. But, I do believe that this command would help people that do. And to respond to what other people said: Yes you can just ask the person for their coordinates but it would just be easier to have a command.

This isn't a very crucial or necessary update that needs to be implemented into game modes but I believe that it would be helpful.

+1

Posted Sep 22, 2019
  18. It could be useful if you were separated from your teammate. As mentioned earlier, it could also be useful in Bridges, not just Survival Games. Thanks for your response!
    --- Post updated ---
    Although this could be true, personally, I like knowing the exact location of my teammate instead of having a compass that is leading me to where my teammate is.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 22, 2019
  19. I can understand where you are coming from and I agree that being able to find your teammates more quickly would be nice in a lot of situations. I'm not sure a command with your coordinates is the best way to go about that. Mainly, there is a flaw with giving your coordinates if say you were being chased by another team and needed assistance. By the time you provide the coordinates and your teammate arrives there, you are probably long gone at that point. I think if something were to be implemented to track teammates, a teammate tracking compass or something that appears on the scoreboard would be more efficient. They would be able to update as your character moves and prevent you from having to type in coordinates multiple times.

Posted Sep 24, 2019
    ClansGI likes this.