• 1416 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 7238 Players Online
  • 5822 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

LGBTQ+ Erasure in Chat

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by MrMcPeanuts, May 23, 2020.

?

Do you believe LGBTQ+-related words should be said in chat?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello,

As a follow up to a thread from earlier that has since been locked, I just wanted to provide my input on the censoring of any words LGBTQ+-related on Mineplex. The two arguments I have seen presented by staff supporting the censoring of these type of words -- which include "homophobic," "gay," "lesbian," and even "LGBT" -- includes: (1) not exposing the younger players to the idea of ***uality; and (2) preventing harassment toward members of the LGBTQ+ community. While I completely understand the intention of second of these two arguments, the first in its entirety feels inherently homophobic. I understand that Mineplex and its moderators believe they are doing its due diligence to seemingly "protect" their younger audience, but I think that the censoring of these words can feel very insulting and degrading towards members of the LGBTQ+ community. As stated in the previous thread, the user was trying to communicate toward someone else that they were a part of the LGBTQ+ community but faced many obstacles, including a warning from a staff member, to get the message across. The intention of this message was not to insult anyone, merely to communicate to another player a large part of their identity. By censoring these words, many LGBTQ+ players have to face unnecessary roadblocks and, in some cases, once again hide a part of themselves that can be difficult for some to accept -- effectively a slap in the face to these LGBTQ+ members trying to live their authentic truths. Minecraft, and by extension Mineplex, can serve as a space for new online friendships to blossom. With starting a new friendship, oftentimes the two involved parties try to learn about one another. If one of the parties tries to communicate in the Mineplex chat that they are part of the LGBTQ+ community, they must, once again, jump through hoops and think of alternative ways to say so, which I think is blasphemous.

I certainly do not support imposing one's beliefs upon other people, but I think the discussion of ***uality should be open and free. Anyone who signs up for a Minecraft account and is under the age of 13 must have their parent's approval before doing so, per Mojang's rules regarding accounts under the age of 13. With this fact in mind, it should be noted that parents would likely understand that their child is playing on an internet-connected game with chats that provide for the freedom of expression. Additionally, they would also likely understand the risks involved with their child playing, so I think worrying about exposing a "young audience" -- which technically cannot consist of players under 13 unless they had their parents permission -- is an invalid argument.

To provide some commentary on the second half of your argument, which involves preventing harassment toward members of the LGBTQ+ community, I think the intention of this argument is one that I admire. Despite this, I believe that this is partly a lazy, secondhand excuse to justify the censorship found on Mineplex. In an ideal world, no one would use such words in a derogatory context; however, that is not the world in which we live. With Mineplex's many staff members, I believe a system could be worked out to identify harassment involving LGBTQ+-related words. While not all instances of harassment involving these words would be identified, I think many of them could be if a system was worked out.

With the above said, I'm asking the Mineplex staff to not disregard this letter. I would really like for a discussion to be held among the Mineplex staff to figure out a way to allow for these words to be said (only in a positive context) in chat. I think there can be a way to compromise on this matter. Additionally, please do not lock this thread once a staff member responds. I think a discussion among other compassionate Mineplex players should be held in this thread as a way to see the differing opinions regarding this matter.

Posted May 23, 2020
    zlxr (Suspici0us) and PROSTONE like this.
  2. Hey there!

There have been many threads made around this topic, with he same concerns you have presented in a very detailed manner. As you have mentioned, Mineplex does it to protect the young players who are apart of the Mineplex Community. They also do it so players do not use the words inappropriately, such as saying "ur mom's gay" or "that play was homophobic". I agree with you that these words should be unfiltered, however I worry that if these words do get filtered for the sake of the LGBTQ+ community, then it would be abused, and staff would have much more to handle.

For now, I will stay at neutral. I do not want to be for or appose either side. I applaud you for bringing this forward along with your concerns, but I'm not sure if Mineplex will allow the use of these words for the LGBTQ+. Have a great day!

Posted May 23, 2020
  3. Hello!!!

As a member of the LGBTQ+ community I appreciate you for bringing this up. I however would not like to see the server unfilter these words. This is for the sake of kids using these words not knowing the meaning behind them. If these words became unfiltered we all know trolls would takeover and begin using these as discriminatory ways that offend multiple people. I do not see this being added.

Receiving hate is a normal thing for people who identify in LGBTQ+ community. I find mineplex to be a relaxed environment where for the most part nobody can even bring up the topic, therefore no hate can be received. I love this, and appreciate it because I cannot receive hate nor see someone using these terms inappropriately.

Posted May 24, 2020
    Glummes, christxqn, Hxmza and 2 others like this.
  4. I have mixed opinions about this. There are points to be on on both sides of the argument. I like what you said about the age rule, that parents are consenting to 13+ content. I think enough protection of the LGBTQ community can be accomplished by simply punishing discriminatory and offensive actions without the filter in place. There are instances where the words are used offensively and other contexts where LGBTQ words are used entirely innocently. Overall, I’m leaning towards removing the filter, but I dont feel strongly about either side of the argument. It’s a complicated subject.

Posted May 24, 2020
  5. I'll respond to the main points that you raised across your thread:

I completely understand why people within this community feel that they were degraded on through the censoring of these words, however, as you mentioned, we censor them to disallow players from insulting the LGBTQ community. It's the sad reality but people still use these terms in an insulting and degrading way, by censoring those words, we prevent people from using these words in this way and to any of those that use it in an insulting way, they will be punished accordingly. You mention that the previous player that created a thread discussing this topic was punished for expressing who he is, I can tell you that if they were punished for expressing who they are, it would've been a false punishment, they should appeal their punishment and us Forum Ninjas can deal with this situation accordingly. The staff team is told explicitly to be lenient when someone is expressing who they are, this means that we don't punish for players that openly say "I'm gay" or express who they are, however, we punish players for using this word in an abusive way such as "you're gay".

Generally speaking, this topic is not appropriate for a Minecraft server, I'll raise this up again later on when you talk about this in-depth but as I mentioned, we allow players to express who they are through chat even if they bypass the filter and staff won't punish for this.

I have to fully disagree with this, you are correct when you say that the minimum age to sign up for Minecraft is 13, however, it's a fact that Minecraft generally has players from young ages and the game is rated 7+ (depending on the version fo the game), parents that buy this game for their kids expect this game to be friendly and not contain a discussion of this topic. We are also a family-friendly server here on Mineplex regardless and quite frankly discussion about this topic isn't suitable for children.

There have been several discussions in regards to this topic within the staff team, internally and we won't be changing this anytime soon, by filtering those words we are preventing people from being harassed and many players that are members of the LBGTQ community would rather keep it filtered as it protects them from harassment and we are preventing the topic of this discussion in-game which is not suitable for children to see.

I'll be locking this thread as this general discussion wouldn't be suitable on the forums, if you want to continue this discussion, please head over to our discord server and feel free to continue in the #rule-discussion channel.

Posted May 24, 2020
    Mathuu, Klobby and Im_Ken like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.