• 2890 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 6138 Players Online
  • 3248 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Level-based queuing in games

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by cxtra, Aug 2, 2020.

?

Do you agree that the option to play with those in your level group should be available?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Unsure

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Hi everyone,

One of the most annoying things on Mineplex is playing games such as Cake Wars, only to have to play with several extremely high-levelled players who crush you within a couple of minutes. Therefore, I am making the following suggestion: create an option to play only with those in your level group.

The feature would band levels into groups, 0-20 (grey), 20-40 (blue), 40-60 (green), 60-80 (orange), and 80-100 (red). The option to play with all levels (the current standard gamemode for all Mineplex games) would remain available.

This feature would be useful for two groups of players:
    • High levelled players: These players can play with other similarly levelled players for a genuinely challenging game, rather than having to face people significantly lower-levelled than them.
    • Low levelled players: These players can play with similar levelled players without being crushed by high levelled players, allowing them to have an enjoyable experience.
    Please let me know of your thoughts on this!
    - cxtra

Posted Aug 2, 2020
    Worpp, Ikanai Misako and Legend998 like this.
  2. Hey

I understand your perspective and your reasoning behind this idea. Pub-stomping is indeed an issue and tends to be demotivating for newer, less-skilled players that simply want to play for the sake of their entertainment. On top of that, it creates a difficult atmosphere for those newer players to grow better at the game and earn wins. Those two together are a very demotivating combination that cause the same cycle of competitive players to play with a new batch of inexperienced people, the latter losing frequently and perhaps not willing to play more. It's one issue that in my opinion, prevents Mineplex from gaining some potential new players.

On a bigger network, with a larger player-base to support these semi-categories for certain games, I'd be more inclined to think that this would benefit the server. However, though 2-3k isn't a small amount by any means, five queuing options for games would slow the process of searching for a game significantly (not to mention how the player-count will be affected by the beginning of school). It isn't a realistic picture for any Mineplex game, considering the number of players online at any given time; it would be difficult to join full-games, or a single game at all, and would take away from the experience of players on the server. This time, though, it would be demotivating for not only newer people, but the competitive side as well.

One foreseeable issue with the idea, if it were to be implemented, is that it separates the community from playing with each other. My best experiences on Mineplex are from being with my online-friends, that I likely met from Mineplex. The addition of this level separation system would be discouraging for me to play with my friends of higher or lower levels, and could possibly restrict new friendships from forming altogether. It would be unlikely for for alts to be able to play with their friends from their main account, too.

I also fear that the lower-level category of games would be flooded with various hackers and teams of very good alts. Not all higher levels might want to play long-lasting, challenging games, especially those who have raised their level from other places on the network and have just began playing this particular game.

Overall, I can see that this might be a semi positive change to the server, but I don't think the pros outweigh the cons.

Posted Aug 2, 2020,
    Last edited Aug 2, 2020
  3. Hi Lila, I think some of your points are very valid. I can see how this feature might create segregation between players, but I did mention in my original post that the option to play with all levels would still be available. Nonetheless, your points still stand, and the one you said about friendships not being to form really hit home given that I've made several friends significantly higher/lower levelled than me throughout my time at Mineplex.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Aug 2, 2020
    Ikanai Misako likes this.