• 340 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 4345 Players Online
  • 4005 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Not Planned Less toxic community? Points system?

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by cracking, Feb 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mineplex toxic? Nah....try biggest Java server...now that’s toxic

Posted Feb 16, 2021
  2. I would have to disagree. I personally like Mineplex a LOT more than other servers but still find Mineplex to be more toxic.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Feb 16, 2021,
    Last edited Feb 16, 2021
  3. dear god... you said the word *hides from admins*

Posted Feb 16, 2021
  4. I don't know what you're talking about?

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Feb 16, 2021
  5. You’re allowed to say Hypixel as long you don’t advertise it and stuff. Also, mineplex does have a toxic side but I wouldn’t say it’s more toxic than its competitors.

Posted Feb 16, 2021
  6. I've never met toxic people on Hypixel in a LONG time.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Feb 16, 2021
  7. Oh, I definitely have and compared to Mineplex, Mineplex probably has more of a friendly interface and the filter also cleans out toxic words.

Posted Feb 16, 2021
    maevestarbaby and Paladise like this.
  8. perhaps if they just switched the easy mode taunt for something less toxic

Posted Feb 16, 2021
    Carebear likes this.
  9. giving people points to pretend to be nice probably isn't the best idea

Posted Feb 16, 2021
    affinity0, anna., Dopa and 3 others like this.
  10. @FreakingNICK

Posted Feb 16, 2021
    FluteVegetables likes this.
  11. Personally I don't see this working, but it seems like it would be an interesting concept...

Posted Feb 16, 2021
  12. Honestly 99% of the time I don't even notice the taunt, learn to ignore them and focus on the game - it makes it so much easier for everybody. Just don't let it tilt you @[email protected] It can take some practice but at some point you just stop caring all together.

Posted Feb 16, 2021
    Grant138 likes this.
  13. While I do see where you are coming from, I simply don't agree with this idea. Adding a 'points' system is simply not necessary and if you come across somebody who is being toxic/or breaking the rules then please /report them and they will be handled accordingly. This points system wouldn't really make players less toxic as they already know they may be muted/punished if they break the rules so this doesn't really change too much. Additionally, there are higher priority issues that need development work and our staff team is able to handle these players just fine.

- Lucas

Posted Feb 16, 2021
  14. i just simply do not see this happening

Posted Feb 16, 2021
    Grant138 and FluteVegetables like this.
  15. From my experience, trying to deal with toxicity in any case is incredibly difficult and in most cases, impossible to combat. Toxicity comes from normally the lesser mature but still older members of the network (age-wise not playtime-wise) and is ignited by the games Mineplex has. Most games on the network are competitive, and it's that competitivity that makes people impulsive with their thought process, and the more immature people will start trash talking anybody in their vicinity.

In my opinion, it is not possible to stop toxicity unless you ban almost your entire community or dumb-down the gamemodes so they're not competitive which entirely defeats the objective of most of Mineplex's games. Toxicity is all over the place, Overwatch, Hypixel, even in real life when some random 12 year old starts trash talking you in the street randomly (might be a British thing) and it's caused by many micro-instigators and in some cases, Mineplex unknowingly contributes to it. Micro-instigators can be all sorts including:
    • Players saying basically anything even if its unrelated after they've beaten another player
    • Another player having a play-style different to another
    • Players being involved in a large competitive community (sometimes unknowingly)
    • Any competitive gamemode which includes skill being used against other people
    • Literally walking anywhere near a dead body or shifting
    I find some communities on Mineplex more toxic than a lot of others to be fair, and I think that's down to Mineplex's age range. Mineplex doesn't really fit children anymore, rather the playerbase is more minimally-preteen, teenager and post-teenager. Given mental changes and stresses at about these age ranges, it can give us a possible reason as to why people on Mineplex may seem a little bit more toxic and have a shorter temper than other places, because they're not taking these micro-instigators very well. Mineplex does one thing in particular that other servers don't normally do (although some games do it like Fortnite) which I don't agree with for when it comes to trying not to generate toxicity, and that's taunts. Taunts in my opinion have no use but to provoke negative responses to make fun of other people and this has been highlighted by multiple other people in ideas threads such as here, here and here. They're there because they provide a monetisation opportunity and an easy-to-make cosmetic that sets different ranks and players apart from others, but they harm the community in the way that they're almost deliberately made to antagonise people and provoke rule breaking responses. Removing taunts at this stage would be a very bad idea, but I think having the ability to turn them off is probably a good idea (hence the 3rd suggestion).

So what can the staff do? It's very difficult. Staff can only punish or try to divert subjects if a rule is being broken or about to be broken, and players well-acquainted with the rules know the loopholes to avoid getting punished, but get their targets punished instead. If I imagine, in the staff procedures, there is no "I didn't mute PlayerA for telling PlayerB to 'shut up' because PlayerB was antagonising him deliberately to say it", PlayerA broke a rule because their boundaries were tested by PlayerB deliberately. You may now be thinking 'just punish PlayerB for toxicity', there is 2 issues with that:
    1. Toxicity is not against the rules (apart from insanely severe cases)
    2. Toxicity can be masked (say a player has just killed another after an intense fight and said "imagine bow-spamming" for example, if it was taken in a court of law, it would be argued that the statement wasn't directed, but is still provoking a response because it insinuates it's been targeted at someone, meaning nothing can be done)
    As for dealing with it, it's not viably possible, and I don't think adding a point system would be too great either, it'd just be seen as something that exists that nobody really cares about, they just get points they can spend in 60 seconds. For example it's taken me 7 years to find out what Hypixel karma is and I've only found out from this thread, I thought it was just something you got from playing games. Giving points when games end isn't a great idea as if you were looking for either 'gg' or 'loser' for both positive and negative rewards respectively, both of the following would be picked up incorrectly:
    • "Lol he's so bad he didn't even say gg" (Rewards positively because player said 'gg')
    • "I was already the loser in that fight from the start because you're too good lol" (Rewards negatively because player said 'loser')
    If the points system were to be implemented, what type of cosmetics would you receive from it, particle effects? chests? or taunts making it counter-productive? If I haven't made it obvious already, I don't think there's a way to alleviate or at least calm it down feasibly, but you can contain it. Don't get me wrong, containing people in demographics to keep the community healthy shouldn't be something you have to do, but in Mineplex's case it's working. The toxic side of the clans community who threaten to dox or DoS/DDoS anybody who kills them, the toxic side of the cakewars community who gang on players they don't like to pressure the rest of the community to attack or push them off the network etc. They all stay in their own places which is good, if Mineplex started trying to get people out there into more games more than it currently does, that's when I feel there would be issues starting to appear.

In conclusion your honour, I think the only way of getting through it is by letting it happen. If you try to forcibly block it, by /ignore or asking the player to be quiet, it may get worse. The only thing you can do is let it appear in your chat window and leave the server to find another game (once your current game has finished obviously). In a lot of cases, reporting may not work, but if you feel a player is intentionally being rude to provoke a response out of you, you're always free to report it through /report or here. Just be calm and collective and don't give people who intentionally try to annoy you any attention, they'll bring you down to their level with their stupidity and beat you with experience.

Posted Feb 16, 2021
    Fusafez, chrvssy, WowCaleb and 2 others like this.
  16. There’s already a punishment for toxicity, and it’s called severity 1 “ general rudeness “. After a while, GR warnings turn into mutes with NO warning. Player’s can’t be toxic too much because of that. As for “ L “ and “ Ez “ well, there’s not much that can be done about that. Sometimes people say those things to their friends in a jesting sense- other times people show their true colors. I think this might just be something we have to live with.

Posted Feb 19, 2021
  17. While I can see the thought process behind this, I have a few main issues with your proposal. First, this "points system" you're suggesting would essentially be a popularity contest and would breed toxicity. Moreover, by adding punishments for certain score thresholds, you're putting punishments and moderation in the hands of the common player. Mineplex has a well-trained team of Forums Managers and Forums Management Assistants, all of whom do their jobs well and with greater judgment than common players.

As many people have already noted, a comprehensive rulebook on forum conduct already exists and there are no shortage of ways to either report violators or contact appropriate Forums Management officilals.

If you find a post somehow violating the standards for conduct outlined in the rulebook, or you somehow find a post otherwise bothersome, I urge you to open the drop-down menu (typically towards the bottom left corner of the post) and report it so it can be reviewed by the apprioriate Forums Management officials.

Please feel free to reach out to myself or anyone else responding to this thread with further questions or concerns.

Posted Feb 19, 2021
  18. I don't think mineplex is toxic at all. The only reason hypixel seems less toxic is because of the way they filter your messages

Posted Feb 19, 2021
  19. you phrase this message like hypixel has more censorship than mineplex lol.

Posted Feb 19, 2021
  20. Hypixel has a lot less censorship than Mineplex, if you mean how they censor certain words -- they also give you the option to turn off the chat filter. I think the reason Hypixel is less toxic is because it's a way larger community -- on Mineplex you might see lots of people you know in games, and it's really easy to build a certain reputation for yourself here than it is on Hypixel.

In regards to the OP, sorry, but there's no solution to this problem. The more Mineplex tries to censor chat/gamplay (whether it be censoring "ez" or removing taunts) will simply drive more players away from the server. Like others have said, literally any game that exists will have some form of toxicity. Overwatch, COD, other MC servers, Counterstrike, whatever game it is, you name it. I'm new to the forums and don't know if this is where I should post it. Please move this if this is the incorrect forum location. It's really easy to say you want a less toxic community, but Mineplex itself can't really do anything to fix this. It has to come from the players themselves, and sadly, no one really wants to make that change. Even if a points system was added (which I don't think it should be, many people already gave valid reasons for why it shouldn't be), I highly doubt anyone would really care about the system at all (if I was more active, I probably wouldn't to be honest).

The only solution I can think of is one I have said before in the past, which most people probably won't agree with me on. Mineplex currently rules with an iron fist, in my opinion, and way too many words are censored that shouldn't be censored. If people hold in all of this aggression or whatever you wanna call it, it will come out eventually, in the terms of filter bypass, general rudeness, etc. I'm not too sure if the reason that Mineplex has these strict rules is because of their partnership with Mojang or if it's of their own volition, but I think the first step to making Mineplex less toxic is to ease up on the rules and punishments.

Yeah, children play on this server, but children play on every single game. Should kids not be allowed to be in COD lobbies because of the toxicity? Same idea applies.

Posted Feb 23, 2021
    Fusafez likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.