• 204 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 5614 Players Online
  • 5410 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Not Planned Less toxic community? Points system?

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by cracking, Feb 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm new to the forums and don't know if this is where I should post it. Please move this if this is the incorrect forum location.
    I think Mineplex should have a less toxic community. After playing the server for over six years, the community hasn't changed much; instead gotten worse; I think that things should finally change, and maybe staff/bots could reward players for saying nice things to each other.
    You may ask yourself, "In what way could the staff reward players?" I have a decent idea, I think "Points" should be added, with points you can buy many cosmetics that you cannot buy with any other method. Think of "Points" like "Karma" from Hypixel; when you say "GG" or "gg" or any other form of "good game," you get rewarded 1 point, for example, if you say the letter "L," "loser," etc. within about 2 minutes of the match ending you lose two-points. If you get more than -50 negative points (for example), you might receive a temporary mute, and if you keep on losing points, it might eventually lead to a temp-ban. I don't care who's toxic to me or not. What I do care about is other people who might be affected by this toxicity.

Please Note: This is just a suggestion. And yes, I know that it's trash talk, but remember that children play this server.

Anyways, that wraps it up. Please leave feedback down below.

Posted Feb 15, 2021
    Jet Starglaze, Zyta, Labiss and 4 others like this.
  2. I like this idea a lot, right now I feel like we actually get rewarded by saying mean things to each other. Personally, I love flexing my 80 day mutes, sharing my ph, and so on. It is very exciting seeing a slot get filled each time I break a rule. With that said, giving points for being nice will probably work the same way. But I think I will stick to breaking the rules and being toxic since it is more than enough fun for me.

Posted Feb 15, 2021,
    Last edited Feb 15, 2021
    bivh, mab8400, asfhjjsnx782$e and 4 others like this.
  3. Honestly I feel if you you keep making updates similar to features in hypixel everybody is going to say "Mineplex is a copy cat!!" But good Idea though!

Posted Feb 15, 2021
    cracking and Grant138 like this.
  4. Unfortunately you can't just turn around an entire group of people and stop them from being toxic. Players will always find workarounds around these types of things. However positivity should be encouraged more.

Some similar form or karma system has been suggested before but it has been swept under the rug so I'm not sure if it has been officially denied or not. I think it would be interesting for sure and a simple thing to set up, although the cosmetics would take some time to make and I feel like once a player has unlocked the cosmetics they can easily go back to being toxic again. Maybe some form or karma leader boards could be interesting.

I don't think temporary mutes should be given out through the points system, though, just because staff members wouldn't have any control over who is getting these mutes and wouldn't be able to log it all. A player could receive 50 of those mutes and nobody would know unless a staff member stumbled upon their punishment history at some point and saw it. Therefore, I believe moderating should be left to the mods and the mods only as many issues could arise with automatic ones, even if it's just a small part of a big system.

Posted Feb 15, 2021
    rilau, Fusafez, KiKiLover and 3 others like this.
  5. Lol, no. Mineplex players are too sensitive. The rules are too harsh for toxicity infact.

Posted Feb 15, 2021
    cernsie and Grant138 like this.
  6. You do know that kids play this server, right? Of course, people will be sensitive either way, but I think we should be more mature about it and lessen it a little.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Feb 15, 2021
    Grant138 likes this.
  7. I can somewhat agree with the temporary mute, but in some way, toxicity should be decreased.

OP OP
    maevestarbaby likes this.
  8. Thanks for the positive feedback. Although karma is completely useless, and Mineplex is more fun to me IMO.

OP OP
  9. kids dont know what java mineplex is, only people who started playing in the good days of mineplex

Posted Feb 15, 2021
  10. Thread Moved ➪ General Idea Discussion

· ┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ꕥ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈ ·

Considering this is a suggestion to implement a new system to our in-game network, this fits better under our Ideas Section rather than server discussion.

Personally, while I think the idea in itself is good to an extent, I don't think it'd make a huge difference nor encourage an existing community to completely change its ways. It won't stop comments like the ones you mention. If people are being excessively toxic, you can do /report or make a forums report, which are current solutions for users who are causing serious problems.

As for giving people mutes for points from long-term separate offenses maybe a little too harsh when at times it is a genuine joke between friends, which is why we don't punish people for saying "ez"/"L" once or twice. That in itself already causes conflict but the rule most likely won't change [as stated before by RC/Rules Committee]. When you're doing it over a long time sure it can pile up to overall toxicity, but as you said, this is a family-friendly server and that includes kids. Kids do things like this and I don't think it'd be very fair when there are already ways you can report excessive toxicity, small comments like "ez" once or twice generally don't do a lot of damage and while they can rile people up, you are free to /ignore them or generally just take no notice. Sure that isn't great but if you think there's a genuine issue, there are ways to report it. You can even message a staff member about it if you're growing very concerned about a particular user.

I definitely don't agree with bans for chat offences like general rudeness [which is what a vast majority of these toxic comments fall under]. Those are reserved for gameplay and hacking for a reason- if they do no harm in-game but do so in chat, we shouldn't just kick them out but stop the action itself. If they bypass, only then would a ban be necessary, but that's a different story.

I agree this attitude is 100% frustrating, but kids are kids and people are people. I don't think this system would truly deter this and I wouldn't like to see a system that punishes people in a way that can't be observed properly [basically this:]
    I do think there should be a way to encourage more positivity and I think the leaderboards @maevestarbaby described could help out. Possibly if you get above 1k points you get a mythical chest or something small. I know realistically we shouldn't have to "award" people to be more kind, but people learn through rewards and positive praise. It truly wouldn't change people in the long run, and I am 100% against punishing people through this system, but it might encourage a more positive environment, especially for newer players.

To conclude, I do agree with implementing some form of point system which rewards little comments like gg/gf and gives rewards as well as take away points for negative ones, but I do not agree with having that same system punish people.

Posted Feb 15, 2021
    Fusafez and Calgate like this.
  11. The "EZ," L," things were just examples.
    EDIT: I thought about it, and punishments through that system are quite stupid, actually.

OP OP
  12. If you're referring to me, I'm not a "kid"; I'm a "teen," and secondly, I started playing Mineplex in 2014.

OP OP
  13. how did you come to such conclusion

Posted Feb 15, 2021
    cracking likes this.
  14. Then why did you make this thread? For likes? Probably since you are clearly an extrinsically motivated person.

Posted Feb 15, 2021
    asfhjjsnx782$e and chungalunga like this.
  15. I think the community has been toxic for too long. I don't personally care if others are toxic to me, although, others do.

OP OP
    Lightsaberrlx likes this.
  16. Eh, I mean I don’t think people would say GG to be nice, but would probably say it to get those free points you mention. But, I don’t think they’ll add a new currency since there’s only shards, gems and immortal points. But, it would be cool to get a couple of shards or gems from saying GG or make it something worth getting. But, karma points aren’t much useful on other servers so it probably wouldn’t be needed here though.

Posted Feb 15, 2021
    chungalunga and Grant138 like this.
  17. Thanks for your input. I think your view on this topic is swell.

OP OP
    Care likes this.
  18. Not big on this idea. Hypixel karma has devalued "gg" to the point that there are mods that will do it for you at the end of games. It's less than genuine, impersonal, and in no way improves the atmosphere of the community. Adding a points system to incentivize people to be nice is not a good idea, and there's not a good way of measuring such things either. If someone's being problematically toxic, you can get them muted, and that should be enough.

Posted Feb 15, 2021
    asfhjjsnx782$e and Grant138 like this.
  19. I just want some way for the community to change.

OP OP
  20. I find it's more effective to be genuinely nice, and report the people who are over the top toxicity wise.

Posted Feb 15, 2021
    rilau, SpitefulNick and Grant138 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.