• 283 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 8721 Players Online
  • 8438 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Laurel or Yanny?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dan1el, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Yep, I'm bringing up the Laurel and Yanny thing. I just want to see how many people who hear Laurel, and how many who hear Yanny.

Is there a reason why some hear Laurel and some hear Yanny? What makes us hear either Laurel or Yanny?

Comment down below!

Excited to see all the comments :)

Posted Sep 20, 2019
  2. Posted Sep 20, 2019
  3. OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 20, 2019
  4. Heyo!

Personally, I've usually always heard Laurel, but most of the videos out there are fake, so I can't really say much. I know there have been some official videos explaining this mystery, but I don't know what to believe anymore. I've heard it's based on the pitch of the voice, the way different people hear it, and even that it had to do with the type of headphones/earbuds you use (if any).

Overall, I usually hear Laurel, but it can be any at this point. Hopefully this contributed to your debate!

Posted Sep 20, 2019
    gzen likes this.
  5. I also hear Laurel. And yeah, there's a lot of videoes explaining why we hear Laurel and someone Yanny, but I still don't understand :P

The point with this thread is to see if people hear Laurel more than Yanny

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 21, 2019
  6. This is an interesting experiment I've seen months ago. Personally, I'm one of the few people that hears "Yanny" instead of "Laurel." I recall hearing "Laurel" months ago but apparently that has changed I suppose.

Posted Sep 21, 2019
  7. Interesting. I can only hear "Yanny" with a low pitch, but other than that, I only hear Laurel. It's so wierd

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 21, 2019
  8. With psychology we learned that Laurel and Yanny form an auditory illusion. In this case, I think it's due to the frequency in both words. Laurel being shaped by a lower frequency? Other experiments have been done where the same word is said, but the lips move differently. And because the lips move differently, you hear syllables that aren't even pronounced. I think a similar situation might be the case with this instance. It might be that we don't perceive individual syllables as the syllables they actually are. Which would explain how you can hear two different words from the same sound. It could be that perception of pronunciations rely on different senses? That last part was just speculation though...

Posted Sep 21, 2019
  9. When the Laurel and Yanny thing was being talked about it actually interested me a great deal. I watched a load of videos that explained why some people hear Laurel and some people hear Yanny. Basically the voice is saying both words at the same time but Yanny is being said at a higher frequency and Laurel at a lower one (I’m pretty sure, I haven’t watched the video in a while). Basically if you focus on a certain frequency you can actually choose what word you want to hear. It’s pretty cool how our brain does this.

Posted Sep 21, 2019
  10. To be honest with you I've also heard Laurel. I'm not really sure how it works but possibly our brains are programmed to think of a word that your most common with so the sound that's coming out will sound like Laurel or Yanny, not really sure to be honest.

Posted Sep 21, 2019
  11. Holaaaa

To me this is such a throw back and I think I get the concept of it. For days a was hearing Yang and then one day I listened to it again and I heard laurel which was crazy to me. I think it just depends what state your brain is in because I’ve heard both listening is different situations.

Posted Sep 21, 2019
  12. I've only ever heard Laurel once. Every other time I hear Yanny, which is funny because out of all my friends I'm the only one who hears Yanny (and I get called weird for that xD)

I also remember the massive disagreement over 'the dress' as well. I honestly enjoy debating over what I hear/see and comparing my results with other people.

Posted Sep 22, 2019
  13. I hear both if I think about the opposite one.

Posted Sep 22, 2019
    Segwat likes this.
  14. When the whole thing was a trend, I personally heard both, however Laurel was more prominent between the two. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with frequencies and whether you hear higher or lower ones.

Which one do you (OP) hear?

Posted Sep 22, 2019
  15. I honestly only heard Laurel. I still don't understand how someone could possibly hear yanny.

But it's funny how trends like this and the dress go viral and everyone around the world knows about them.

Posted Sep 22, 2019
    michqlle likes this.
  16. I hear Yanny

Posted Sep 25, 2019
  17. I agree. Most of the time is Laurel, its only on the exaggerated or fake videos where its clearly forcing you to hear yanni that I hear that name. It still very interesting tho

Posted Sep 25, 2019
    TooMuchXMas4You likes this.
  18. Oh my god are we really still doing this

Either way I hear Laurel but I remember we actually talked about this in school and there was a webpage explaining it as well as a slider that would bring more Yanny or Laurel. I thought it was funny but it was also pretty cool.

Posted Sep 25, 2019
  19. i’ve only ever been able to hear laurel lol

Posted Sep 25, 2019
  20. At first, I've heard Yanny and I was not able to understand how one can hear Laurel. However, a few days later I started hearing Laurel as well, and realized I was able to switch between the two. It looks like I am still able to switch back and forth if I concentrate, despite the debate being relevant over a year ago. Anyway, it's pretty cool to know that I am still able to hear both and I didn't know that a lot of people here only hear Laurel.

Posted Sep 25, 2019