• 1374 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 9812 Players Online
  • 8438 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

It takes ages to join a game

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by OllyWolly, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Hi,

I'm relately new to the newer additions to Mineplex. I have been a player on the server ever since 2013, but had a long break from Minecraft until now. A lot seems to same, and ye a lot has changed like the lobby mechanics. Whenever I click to join a game, it takes ages (like a lot of minutes) until I can join as the counter keeps going. Any game I figured and some refuse to work with me. Is it because I am 1.14.2? Is it because the eu server? I don't have that crazy amount of lag and other players have spoken of this issue as well.
    Please, moderators or any admin on this, can you please check this? Is it because the game is over crowded all the time per usual? Because I can't be waiting for the exact right time zone to join (just in case)... I just want to play again.

Thank you.

Posted Jul 17, 2019
  2. I'm not a moderator or admin, but I think I can give you some info.

The mechanic for joining games is different from the 2013 version of Mineplex, and is referred to as the butch system, if I'm correct. Basically, instead of having users roaming from lobby to lobby with a server selection gui, as was the situation in 2013, the server allocates players itself and places them all in one lobby together. This is faster and more efficient than ever before.

As far as your concerns about the wait time, that's because of the EU servers themselves. There's simply not enough players in certain games, meaning that you will be waiting for minutes on end to start a game. What I suggest you do to prevent too much waiting time is to keep in mind the player counter at the bottom of the screen, above your hot bar. It basically gives you a report on all the players qued to play that game. If there is not a growing number of players for a few minutes, then just assume that you're not going to be getting a server going any time soon, and leave the que.

Hope this helps, I guess.

Posted Jul 17, 2019
    AppleFTW likes this.
  3. @Hestong basically said all needed but I won't mind adding.

The old days of Mineplex are seemed as the golden ones, but nevertheless changes have happened. Nothing is to do with your version, that is completely unrelated. However, what is relevant is the "butch update." This update not only brought the downfall of some classic games (Sneaky Assassins, Wither Assault), but also turned the lobby mechanic most people know and hate of today.

Your wait time is most likely due to being on the EU server. The server has been complained about and protests to shut it down have been sprouted up in the past due to its abandoned player count, however it does have higher FPS/less lag, and other reasons to leave it open left it untouched.

In general, the butch update has been heavily hated upon, yet it is undoubtedly a bit more efficient than the previous methods the Devs of the past left us with. It may take a lot longer, but at the same time it's also faster.

Posted Jul 17, 2019
  4. The Butch system has contributed a lot to minimizing waiting time for games to start, with the exception of Mixed Arcade which is, per the staff team, being reworked at the moment. The main reason your waiting time is suboptimal is that you're playing on the EU, which has, due to the shrinkage of the playerbase, become pretty much abandoned. If playing on the US server isn't an option due to lag, the good news is that there are still some players on EU, but not nearly as many. You'll still get to play the more popular minigames like Cake Wars on there.

P.S. Mineplex has gone through a lot of visual changes (5 lobbies in the recent 4 years), but in January the lobby reverted back to the 2015 tree lobby, with a few tweaks of course. As I had been rooting for it to come back for a long time, I hope it made you feel welcome back on Mineplex!

Posted Jul 17, 2019
    Sakeusi likes this.
  5. I kind of had that clue but I didn't want to join the US cos it was overcrowded. I figured the EU server had less lag, but I could try and see if I can get in a lot better then. And I prefer the 2015 lobby. It's memorable to the 2013 for me. It did made me feel nostalgic which is awesome though.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 17, 2019