• 301 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 5344 Players Online
  • 5043 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Is No Spectating Really Better For UHC?

Discussion in 'Combat Games' started by Omegza, Aug 28, 2020.

?

Would you like to see spectating return?

1. Yes, for sure!

15 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. No, It's not necessary.

12 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. So as most of you know, the return of UHC came with a couple changes; one of these being no spectating after your team dies. While I get the point of it is to prevent ghosting, is this really better for the game itself? There are a couple reasons why I would like to see spectating come back to UHC:
    -See who ends up winning the game
    -Watch players and learn their strategy
    -Spectate a friend
    -Talk with some alive players (I know some times when players are either just talking to me or heckling me that it makes the game more enjoyable)
    -among more
    While no-spectating servers a purpose, personally I think I would like to see spectating return to UHC.

Posted Aug 28, 2020
    jis, JAKE/// and Anna. like this.
  2. I personally would like to see this return. I too had asked why it wasn't an option- and where I understand the answer, "To prevent ghosting," comes from, it confuses me. Because, if someone is going to ghost in a game, they would just go to any other game. So really, to prevent ghosting they'd have to get rid of spectating on all games, which is never going to pass.

To add onto this, technically you still can ghost in UHC. Its simple, if you die while your teammate is alive you can simply fly around looking for players, and then tell everyone where they are. Obviously its harder this way, but if someone is determined to ghost in UHC and not any other games for whatever reason, then they will do it lol

Also, when trying to join a game of UHC if you read the description, its something along the lines of "Join a uhc game while you wait for a new one to be ready, find a friend in the lobby, and even learn some new strategies!" I forget the actual wording but it should be something like this. Please correct me if I'm wrong :)

But you can't really learn new strategies if you don't have a compass, especially if you can't even join the game
    Sure, you can take my ghosting example and just fly around when you die, but I guarantee you can't learn many new strategies at all doing that.

However I will mention that one of your reasons,
    wouldn't work even if spectating was added back in, since all chat for alive players is In team chat. I doubt they will change that due to spam of the chat
    Overall, everything else I agree with!

Thanks for the suggestion, +1 from me! ^w^

Posted Aug 28, 2020
    Omegza likes this.
  3. Hi!

UHC is much more different than the other games, of course. The game utilizes a LOT of different skills getting in good shape early game, pvp skill, etc. Ghosting is the main issue as to why spectating is not allowed because players who actually have a 'ghoster' recieve MUCH bigger advantage as apposed to ghosting in an SG or skywars game. People ghosting give away where ores are, if there are players at the enchantment buildings are, where players are in general... Its a lot that gives the players an advantage as apposed to in a regular game where its just where the players are.

I'm gonna give the idea of adding spectator mode a -1 because as i'm summing up my points, UHC has far more 'tools' and opportunities for ghosters then other games and its much more competitive too.

Thanks for reading!

Posted Aug 28, 2020
    jis likes this.
  4. Hello!

You were given some really good points above, but I would like to add on. UHC is still in beta so we're still finding issues and taking feedback for the game, however, I don't really think being able to spectate UHC games is the best idea. Ghosting is obviously a huge problem with UHC games, as players can tell others where ores are, where other players are, where the border is, or even what the surrounding environment is like. Ghosting in UHC would create a completely unfair advantage unlike other games because of all the different components that go into it. UHC is obviously a lot different from your typical games, such as Survival Games and Cake Wars, because the game is full of strategy. UHC games can take up to an hour or even more and players have to thoroughly think out their plan to maintain their health. It would be really unfair to have a game this long and strategic be ruined by something like ghosting. Overall, I'm going to have to give this idea a -1 as ghosting is a very crucial reason spectating is disabled in UHC, and if this were allowed it would create a huge problem. I commend you for your idea and appreciate you for sharing. I hope you have a good day! :)

Posted Aug 28, 2020
    scarlet likes this.
  5. Ghosting was a major problem back when UHC was originally a game on the network. People would find players and harassment/targeting became a major issue. Because UHC is such a slow paced game with a considerable amount of time investment, it's a much bigger deal if someone ghosts. You can play many games of SG or Skywars or any number of other games in the time it takes to complete one game of UHC. I'm not opposed to allowing spectating at the very end of the game, but prior to that I'm not really a fan.

Posted Sep 3, 2020
  6. New patch supposedly allows for spectating in first person which seems optimal to me. Allows you to watch your friends but severely limits ghosting potential.

Posted Sep 3, 2020
  7. I do agree with some of the points that you mentioned above. However, I strongly believe that ghosting is a really big problem already in other minigames and it affects UHC a lot more because its games are really long and people would strongly dislike it if they lost hour-long progress to somebody who was told by their dead teammate where the opponent was.

Again, it would be really nice to tell who won the game or spectate a "friend" but, being able to talk in chat with alive people and learning others' strategies could just allow for people to abuse these privileges and just get them taken away because of ghosting.

Posted Sep 19, 2020
    Rey likes this.