• 2201 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 4780 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion informing when muted

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by lelwhy I:, Jan 18, 2020.

1. so, when you msg someone who is muted, it tells you that they're muted, no time or reason, just that they're muted
    but I believe when you message someone who is muted, it'll tell you that they're muted, and how long, so you know when they're unmuted, if its impossible to message them on an app, for example discord

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted Jan 18, 2020
  2. Hey!
    Personally I don't see any issue with this being implemented. I think if we added this it would at least give someones friend some knowledge about how long their friend is muted so they know when they can expect a response. I feel like this would be beneficial as well because like you mentioned if someone didn't have their friend added on discord they would have no way to communicate with them and even ask how long their friends mute it. If implemented I think it has it's positives, however I feel like this shouldn't be near the top of the list for things to implement. Overall nice QoL idea and I think it can benefit the server a decent amount.

Posted Jan 18, 2020
    IMrBacon likes this.
  3. Yo!
    I'm personally against this idea as it could be viewed as an invasion of privacy. Some people feel guilt over being punished and don't want others to know about it so I don't think a majority of people would want their punishment length to be "public". You could always see if they are on the forums and contact them from there or just message them daily to see. I do understand the purpose behind this idea, say a friend is muted but overall I don't think it's a good idea.

Posted Jan 18, 2020
  4. I don't think players need to know how long other players are muted for. I think it breaches the privacy of the player who is muted. You message them and see that they're muted. You see them on again at another time and decide to message them and see they're still muted. You see them again and message them and they're unmuted and that's that. Because it's in-game and you both have to be online and punishment times can be days I don't think this would be useful either. -1

Posted Jan 18, 2020
    Fallen™ and nolawn like this.
  5. I support this idea as long as you can choose to have it on or off. (The default setting would be off.)
    If players are able to choose whether to have it on or not, it isn’t breaching anything as they are choosing to have it known publicly how long they’re muted for.

Posted Jan 19, 2020
    BasicT and Wulfo like this.
  6. Hey!

I'm against the primary concept as often players do not like to publicise the fact that they are muted and can often be embarrassed as to the reasons behind it. I'm aware that you said the message wouldn't disclose the reason, however, if others are curious they are going to question them about it. I don't think that anyone should feel under pressure to provide an explanation for why they are muted when they may not want to discuss it. If you are close friends with this person, or talk to them regularly, you would probably already know from a quick message on the forums or on Discord. Plus, if you are friends with them and they're not responding to you then it should be pretty self-explanatory.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about it being an option in settings. I don't feel there would be much attention paid to it as most regular players are not repeated offenders, so there would be no point in having limited Developers working on it. Also, players should not feel as if they are under pressure to enable the setting when they are muted, as the reasons for not wanting to broadcast it still stand.

There are many ideas out there that would be well suited, however there is nothing we can do about having limited Developers so unfortunately we have to narrow it down and see what ones should be prioritised. I like your thinking but I don't think that it needs further consideration to ensure it's at the top of the list.

Posted Jan 19, 2020
  7. I believe this would be a nice idea to be implemented. Apon messaging a muted player, something along the lines of "Sorry, but this player is muted so you cannot message them!" could be sent to the sender just to notify them. No length would be included though. It wouldn't take much development time either and it's a solid idea.

+1

Posted Jan 19, 2020
  8. Hey there!

I understand where you are coming from with this; not knowing how long a friend of yours will be muted can be frustrating, but as other people have said, this would most likely be an invasion of privacy. Players, whether they are your friend or not, may want to share their time with you, but that is completely up to them. If a player doesn't want it to be known, however, and they have public messaging on, or are on your friend list, then they would not want you to be able to find out by merely sending them a message. If a friend wants you to know, they have other means of telling you but otherwise this shouldn't be a thing because it is not fair to the player if they are embarrassed by the mute, or for some other reason that they may have.

You can try messaging the player on Discord, the forums, or even figuring out some sort of communication system through jumping or crouching in-game to count the amount of days (that's something I used to do with my friends years ago haha).

Anyways, I won't be supporting this due to those reasons, have a good day!

Posted Jan 19, 2020
    BasicT likes this.
  9. I also am against this idea. If someone’s muted, they’re muted. If other people knew, they may feel bad. Most people wouldn’t want to publicize it. But, it’s a good suggestion!

Posted Jan 19, 2020
  10. Honestly this is an interesting one. I’ve often seen people who are muted having to walk around with a friend or have a pet out saying that they are muted. I could definitely see this having a big positive impact to the server in terms of QoL as players don’t have to worry about the disadvantages about not being able to respond to someone if they are messaging them in the chat. I have seen many instances when one is unable to say “good game” simply because of the punishment and the other players could find it offensive or something along those lines. If this idea is implemented then it will notify the players that were offend that they are simply unable to speak.
    I've seen that others have said something like along the lines of:

Code:
    Others may not want to reveal that they are punished as they
    may feel guilty that they got the punished and don’t want to
    elaborate on what happened and why they got punished.
    I see where you are coming from. Some may not want to reveal that they are punished and don’t want to be reminded/want to explain how they got punished. However, here’s where my idea of this comes in. If we have a feature on /preferences (commonly known as /prefs) then we could maybe have something that allows someone to disable the feature. This gives a win-win to the players as they can choose what they want to show/reflect in them and time and anywhere they want. Also, in addition to that, we could have it so when someone is muted that they are notified about the preference option so they can choose if they want to disable it or not. If they missed the message, we could also have it shown on /ph (shows your punishment history) when you hover over the mute that is in your history.
    I feel that this idea would improve the QoL in a fantastic way so I’m gonna give this a +1 for now.
    (This was typed on my phone so I apologize if there are any grammatical errors and whatnot)

Posted Jan 19, 2020,
    Last edited Jan 26, 2020
    Grandmaster and saltyfishhy like this.
  11. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ their fault for saying crap which leads to mutes

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 20, 2020
  12. Hihi

I’m also not /all/ that here for the idea but I can see where you’re coming from.

As Staff members, we aren’t allowed to disclose when a player has been punished or (if someone already knows they have been) what for or for how long. This is to protect the player’s privacy. While yes, they shouldn’t have said the things they said and it is usually their fault, it’s not fair to shame people like that. Whilst it would be helpful if people who the player is friend’s with could see if they were muted or not, there’s just no way to bypass the fact that everyone might figure it out. Thus humiliating the player who was punished (if they do indeed feel guilty about it) and making their experience even less enjoyable. And that’s not what we want.

I say this though, but then I read @BasicT ’s suggestion surrounding /prefs. I think that this preference would actually be a good thing to implement. It would allow players who want their friends to know about their punishment to also be aware and it would also make sure the players who want to keep it on the down-low can do so if they wish.

If we were to somehow implement BasicT’s idea into the suggestion then I would give it a +1, but for now it will be staying as a -1. I just don’t feel like it’d be fair to the players who don’t want people to know.

Posted Jan 20, 2020
    OnceSpoken and BasicT like this.
  13. Pretty sure there's already a preference to inform others if you're muted already. The only difference is that this would show how long they're muted for. I personally disagree with the need to see how long they're muted for, as that's an thing even staff members aren't supposed to give out. Unless the player really wants to tell you, I would just come up with some other way to communicate or just like message them and ask them to nod their head in-game if they understand or something. But honestly, the current preference you can enable in /prefs that's similar is sufficient for me and I don't see a need for this really.

Posted Jan 22, 2020
    BasicT likes this.
  14. Whilst I agree with how useful this idea can be for muted players that want to inform players/friends that message them how long their mute is, I personally think this shouldn't be implemented; the staff team is not allowed to give information regarding a player's punishment to another player, even if it's about the duration of the punishment. There are quick methods of communication when it comes to telling other players the duration of their mute such as simply messaging them on Discord for instance. I honestly don't see this as a feature that'll be toggleable through /prefs as well, as with our limited development time, it can take a bit longer to configure a setting to disable and enable this feature upon request and I can see problem emerging if this was added where players would only want certain players from their friends list to see the duration of the punishment.

Overall, I don't think this idea would be beneficial as other methods of communication are applicable where the muted player can message the player they want to inform regarding how long their mute is. It's a -1 from me.

Posted Jan 23, 2020
  15. HI there!

I agree with the idea that a lot of players would probably support this idea but some players when they get muted are not proud of what they did and would like to keep things private, as neo said as staff members we're not allowed to disclose anything about anyone's punishments. I believe that it is soulfully up to the player to tell you how long there mute is. Overall it's a -1 from me. Thanks for hearing me out!

Good luck on the rest of your suggestions!

Posted Jan 23, 2020
  16. Personally, I understand where you are coming from with the whole invasion of privacy idea but I don't see how being able to see someone else's punishment time will make them feel uncomfortable. It's not like you are able to see the reason of their punishment. I will give this suggestion a +1 just because it sounds good overall.

Posted Jan 26, 2020
  17. I do see where you are coming from in terms of it being beneficial for the sender to know these details, it's a bit of a privacy invasion. Maybe the recipient doesn't want others to know about the background of their punishment. Additionally, punishment details are, from what I know, confidential, so I doubt this would be implemented.

I do like @BasicT 's suggestion though, it would be a good idea to have this as a preference so that players who don't want to discuss their punishment can disable the message sent to the message sender.

Overall, it's a -1 from me, but I think the preferences suggestion might raise the chances of this being implemented.

Posted Jan 26, 2020
    BasicT likes this.