• 250 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 6009 Players Online
  • 5759 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Immortal map voting preference

Discussion in 'Super Smash Mobs' started by Chpinkles, Aug 18, 2020.

1. I knew Immortal already had map preference, but i didnt know that their votes count as 2.01 votes which means it takes 3 players without immortal to vote for the same map in order to get it chosen.

This wouldnt be that bad in games with high player counts since multiple players vote. However, SSM has a player cap of 5 and a game start requirement of 4. Which means it is far more unlikely for a player with the immortal rank to not get their map choice whenever its an option.

This would be fine in a game like gladiators (ik it doesnt exist anymore, just an example) where maps dont make a big difference in terms of gameplay and are mainly there for aethetic. But in ssm, maps make a huge difference, and can sometimes manipulate the final result of the match. Different maps cater to different kits. For example, skylands is a really good map for kits like spider and wolf, because of the extra space where they can use their mobility. Unless you use a ranged kit, it can be quite difficult to chase wolf and spider on skylands. Everyone who plays ssm likely has a favorite and least favorite map, and its usually based on their kit main or their playstyle. However, their favorite maps dont always get voted, therefore they will have to adapt to a new playstyle for different maps or maybe pick up a different kit sometimes. This makes the game a lot more skill based in my opinion. However, if you were to have the immortal rank, you almost always get your map choice and you dont have to adapt to new maps nearly as often.

Ideas:

Make the voting preference 1.01 for ssm. This wont make the game completely fair, but it will decrease the chance of immortal users getting their map choice. Basically, if the map vote results in a tie between 2 or more maps (which probably happens a lot), and one vote was from an immortal, their map will be selected.

Idea 2: Remove voting preference for ssm

This will make it so everyone has an equal chance to get the map they want.

Idea 3: Make maps completely random

Im honestly not sure about this idea. While it would make the game take a lot more skill, it could also be seen as a luck based system.

Posted Aug 18, 2020
    aaawesome and Mitchy like this.
  2. Hello <O/

I personally don't see maps making any huge difference in gameplay, in which type of kits would be the best choice to pick. Although you bring up several good points elaborating why maps do matter. Especially with only about 4 players in a typical lobby, this makes it a very prevalent issue on map voting. With that being said, all of your options lower the power of buying Immortal. While I don't like any of the ideas that much, I believe Idea 1 is the best out of all of them, but keep in mind that being able to have a priority vote was a promised feature of having Immortal. There might be a lot of backlash towards Mineplex regarding this decision. Furthermore, if maps really matter, you can always pick a kit after a map has been chosen, and right after the game starts. Overall, I give these ideas a -1.

Posted Aug 18, 2020
    Chpinkles likes this.
  3. The voting system system with ranks getting bonuses is something for Mineplex to market. If you want to have a better chance to play the map you want, subscribe to Immortal or purchase a higher rank than you already have.

Though you do bring up a point about gameplay. The issue I could see with this is where you would draw the line of gameplay "mattering" and not? You brought up Gladiators, where the gameplay may matter and differ per map, but is it as important as something like SSM? There'd be such a huge gray area and other communities begging for map votes to be all on the same level for each game, bringing us back to Mineplex not being able to market.

For your idea on making it random, it once again removes something for Mineplex to market and this would just be reverting a previous update.

You kinda touched on the right idea with disagreeing, but maps and their gameplay is absolutely huge. Maps for SSM, MS, OITQ, PB, BH, SG, BR, DOM, and CTF all need their maps tested by GI to ensure the map is up to gameplay standards. Other games may not have as important of gameplay, but it still matters and it differs per game.

Posted Aug 18, 2020
    Chpinkles likes this.
  4. I have played long enough to where I can play on every map. So im mainly making this post on behalf of other players.

Also, mineplex's target demographic is children. And not everyone who plays has access to money, let alone for a monthly subscription. Thats probably why the eula was put in place. Even if its not, most people have better things to do with their money other than to spend it on a minecraft server.

Also, I did explain why SSM needs the change more than gladiators. Gladiator maps dont affect gameplay as much since its regular minecraft pvp. SSM is different though, it features 20 different kits, each with its own set of unique playstyles and different jumps. Some kits have jumps that are able to get to places on certain maps way faster, thus they can stall a lot longer on those maps. However, on games like gladiators, you cant get an advantage over the other player just because of the map and kit selected, but in ssm, you can.

Im not saying other games shouldn't remove priority voting, im just saying SSM should. I was simply using those games as a comparison to ssm and how maps affect both games differently.

Unlike popular opinion, there are tons of ways
    to market stuff without giving the players an advantage over others. Maybe making a lot more cosmetics (exclusive particles for certain games or kits, texture packs for unique weapon skins, or making a lot more cosmetics in the game exclusive to only ranks).

I have played servers with far less players than on mineplex which make a decent income without relying on the concept of pay to win by doing a few of the things i listed.

I think a big reason mineplex may not get money from ranks is because a lot of cosmetics are already accesible to players without ranks simply from playing the game. Maybe limiting more cosmetics to ranks will give players a better insentive. While it may be worse for players without ranks, I would take that any day over unfair advantages in game.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Aug 19, 2020
    ilyLegend, aaawesome and Jaek like this.
  5. I completely agree. In my response, I was aiming more toward the games in the middle of the spectrum and what would determine if gameplay mattered enough for those maps. It's quite obvious that SSM maps matter more than GLD ones, I just picked the wrong games to compare in a figure of speech, my bad there.

Posted Aug 19, 2020
    Chpinkles likes this.
  6. You could be right about those games, I just mostly play ssm. But I didnt mean to make it seem like I excluded out the other games.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Aug 19, 2020
    Jaek likes this.
  7. I did already explain why maps make a difference, but in short. Some kits have unique mobility to where they can get to certain parts of the maps and move around more while other kits cant. Other examples of kits having an advantage are slime and magma on hyrule. Due to their extended double jumps they can easily climb the tower.

The spider kit, due to how versatile it is does well on every map, but it requires a lot of skill to master the directional double jump and you still need to adapt to different playstyles depending on the map.

If ur a good enough player, maps wont matter to you as much, since you will have mastered nearly every kit, know lots of different movesets and playstyles, and also know every cheese spot and hiding spot for every map.

But for all of us newbies, this change is almost necessary.

Also, as for the point about being backlash, refunds are always an option for anyone who doesnt like the change. But idk anyone who uses immortal just for the map choice. And changing it wouldnt be a problem for some games since maps dont affect gameplay at all there.

Like i stated in one of my replies, theres many ways to increase the value of the rank without resorting to pay to win.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Aug 19, 2020,
    Last edited Aug 19, 2020
    Jaek likes this.
  8. Yes priority voting is unfair if an immortal uses a camping kit and votes for their map in order to tick off others. Remove it +1

Posted Aug 20, 2020