• 1395 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 3974 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

I Wrote This Thread About Art

Discussion in 'Arts & Banner Showcase' started by Iscariot, Dec 5, 2019.

Tags:
  1. "Constellations" is a one-line drawing that I originally drafted on February 14th, 2018. Every Valentine's Day I make a special piece for someone I care about; more-so for family and close friends. I hadn't touched the piece since then, and being that I had done so many one-line drawings, was not in the emotional mindset to get back into a style I had been drained from three times already (I had done 80+ pieces of this style in a full year.)

But that's not my point of making this thread.

Hi, it's IntoRainbows, otherwise known as Ian — I've been preparing my portfolio for a career in illustration/art direction and part of that process was going through every single thing I've made since starting graphics in May 2015. In total, this meant over 1200 individual projects to sort through, and believe me it was daunting. There was, and still is as I make edits to other projects, a great excitement about overhauling a piece I had sentiment towards but never got to show it the light of day on my own web page. As of writing this, I have 47 projects I am proud to have experienced (which are grouped into series/sections to curate the work more efficiently for viewers.) That means that not even a half-of-a-percentage of my work is being shown. It could be damaging at first, but realistically I'll go through 50 pieces and be overjoyed if 1 can be salvaged... and that one may not be used either.

It's important to embrace constructive critique — it makes you more vulnerable, but that's where creative confidence will come from. Don't stay in a box, because styles should change and it's totally okay to play around with more than one. I started drawing for the first time on a computer in 2017 using a grunge style; as in I made a custom brush inspired by the 1980's UK punk rock movement. By January 2018 I did (as mentioned) a ton of one-line art, and by August I had started with digital watercolor landscapes. It was not until May of 2019 that I grew into what I now recognize as my personal style. I say style with confidence here because the timeline makes sense; 1) grunge represented what my interests were, but 2) I wanted to do drawings that were more clean and elegant but could not draw people as line-art so I used a single line instead, then 3) I got exhausted of the same style that only increases in interest based on the subject/familiarity of the topic so I tried watercolor digitally in an effort to create what I never was able to on paper, except 4) I missed drawing.

So I worked for months on everything I could, whether that be research, getting inspiration from other artists/my peers, or even just going out and observing the physical world. And please note that your unique special "style" carries almost zero weight if you are going into a job where you are not in charge of yourself (such as freelance). Companies of any size/kind want you to adapt to their brand identity and fit a particular atmosphere, interactivity and story that's being told through visuals. Furthermore, "style" is NOT a term to use as placeholder for not having any proper understanding of human (or any) anatomy or design principles. You may think you are super creative, but you NEED to be super diligent in learning absolutely everything that you can.

To anyone interested in making a career from something that either is a hobby or a creative outlet (for this thread I'll say art), I'd encourage you to pursue it, as long as you are aware of the circumstances.

Here's my pep talk for anyone who needs to hear this today, or anytime:

You do not have to go to an internationally acclaimed art school (or any art/crafts/design, etc.) school to become an artist.

You do not not have to have the latest software, tablet, and creative technique books to become an artist.

You do not have to have to become an artist... You choose to, and that's all anyone else requires to know.

After all, you never really stop being one. Art is about empathy, the composition and delivery of idea, and especially your passion.

Don't do it for the compensation, the monetary output, the media reception... do it for yourself, because everyone will notice if you don't.

And most importantly: Never stop expressing how your feelings through art. They are more valuable than anything that will ever follow.

-Ian
    [​IMG]

Created in Photoshop CC 2019 with a Mac trackpad

Posted Dec 5, 2019
    freddey, cerns, °3° and 7 others like this.
  2. Yo!
    As someone who admires your work as an artist, I must say this thread was written really nicely. I think what's important to note that, art is something that is used to express yourself.. everyone in theory is good at art if you believe in yourself. To anyone who feels their art is not "good enough" think about this, there was a time when art was just cravings in stone but because of the human race it's become so much more and it will continue to be more it just takes brave / creative people to try out new methods of art so never step down from your passions.
    (Also Ian - keep up the amazing work as always!)

Posted Dec 6, 2019
    TheProTroller, Iscariot and M4RK7000 like this.
  3. I don't know the first time I saw your art. I believe you were saying something about poems on the old Enjin website, so there's a good chance I saw some of those. But man, I love every piece of yours I've seen. You probably get it all the time, but you have some insane talent. Your style is unique, and it's a breath of fresh air on the forums and in the newsletter. I'm not an aspiring artist, so this thread isn't for me necessarily, but I just wanna say props.

Posted Dec 6, 2019
    Iscariot likes this.
  4. Logan — I can't agree with you more when you say that everything in art, in theory, is good. Art is subjective of course, and something I consider beautiful may look horrific to you. There is no good or bad, but there is different. Different influences, different media used, different emotions, and a different story. As to your part about cave painting, and here's my transition, artists of any kind should observe trends. They should keep track of what is and what is not relevant. If you are an artist and want to be noticed (if that happens to be your goal) challenging yourself and doing things in a different way is crucial. Be the trend. It is easier said than done and looks lofty as heck written out, but that should be motivation because it IS possible.

Class — Thank you so much for your reply! I had about 325 poems on the old forums, often writing a piece every day or two. I started doing design in May 2015 and would post work on the old forums that I haven't thought about in years. I wanted to share things because, like I said to above, it is subjective and maybe someone would find it as an emotional connection.

It has been incredibly exciting every time I go to make something new. I do it out of passion, and alongside my own enjoyment, I've had a support base who both challenged me and provided insight along the way. My parents were very quickly supportive of me doing graphic design. I had been in a very small therapeutic school; they were so happy I found a niche to do. After taking a week-long digital media class at New York University, I kept going at it and applied to a liberal arts college for Graphic Design the following year. I am graduating this May.

My purpose in telling all of this is that being an artist in the Digital Age, and with 2020 quickly approaching, it is not easy. You have to be versatile and able to adapt. I love what I do, and cannot thank you enough for your support as well!
    --- Post updated ---
    I am bumping this in-case anyone needs a little pep talk today (:

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Dec 7, 2019
    ClassN and TeaSpiller like this.
  5. Okay, I'm not sure if it's because it's 2am or what, but this thread brought a few tears to my eyes. I'm so glad that you have found your creative outlet. You're right, people will notice if you're doing things like art for reasons other than for yourself. I notice that in some of my favorite musicians and I notice that in your art. I can tell that you really care about the pieces that you create because every single one of them is something special. I think this thread got to me a little bit because I feel a need to have some sort of creative outlet, but I have no idea what that outlet is for myself. It makes me so happy to see people find their passion and ways to express themselves. That's something I need, but I'm not sure how to find mine.

I have so much respect for artists because they're not afraid to be who they are and create what they really feel inside. I'm really like the single-line style. It's so creative and impressive, especially that you managed to create this piece using a trackpad. I hope that creating art for the Mineplex Newsletter has created a positive creative outlet for you where you can really show off your own style. Your digital art is extremely inspiring, and I'd love to see some of your artwork that you've created on paper or canvas. I'm really glad you went back and finished this project. The emotional inspiration of this piece is very telling. Although I have yet to find my creative outlet, your pep talk spoke to me and inspired me. There is something that is inside of me trying to get out that I need to find. Maybe I need to start doing more things for myself and I'll be able to find that something.

Thank you for this piece, Ian. It's really something amazing.

Posted Dec 8, 2019
    saltyfishhy and Iscariot like this.
  6. Thank you so much for your continued support, Fredricksburg. Finding a passion can ( and will/should) take time, and you may not even recognize it as your primary passion until later. Whenever I need to find that "something" as you mentioned, I start by writing down any thoughts associated with the feeling it gives me. "How does that feeling differ from my state of content?", "How long does it last between feeling this specific state again?", "What is it about this state in which I feel something real?", etc. — use guiding questions to help figure out what you're looking for. There does not have to be a single answer, or any answer at all. It's subjective, but will help your mindset to look at things from a different perspective :)

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Dec 8, 2019
    freddey likes this.

7. Thank you for my own personal pep talk of sorts. : > I do have a passion for some things, but I am not very good at those things. :P But I feel as long as I'm passionate about them, the only thing I can do is get better for myself and for those who may enjoy those things. Thank you for helping me to create a new perspective and see things differently. :)

Posted Dec 8, 2019
    Iscariot likes this.