• 2890 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 11564 Players Online
  • 8674 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

I need YOUR opinion (Skywars Map)

Discussion in 'Build Showcase' started by Electric_Eagle, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Hi everyone! I have been working on a candy themed Skywars map! I am happy with how my map is looking, but I need some help to elevate this map! What can I add to make it better? Please let me know! Thanks so much!

Here is the map from above.
    [​IMG]
    Here are pictures of the middle island. The whole spheres are vanilla ice cream scoops with sprinkles on them! The house is a gingerbread house!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The spawn islands have a cookie base with a hershey kiss on top of the cave. The trees are made out of cotton candy.
    [​IMG]
    The connecting islands have a giant lollipop tree with a bowl of candy at the bottom level.
    [​IMG]
    Bowl of Candy
    [​IMG]

Please let me know what you think, and let me know what I can add to elevate the build!

Thanks,
    - Electric_Eagle

Posted Jul 3, 2020
    xGetRekted and christxqn like this.
  2. Hey!,
    First of all, I really like your map!! I think it is very colorful and I like the theme of it as well. The gingerbread house at the center of spawn from what I saw didn’t look to much like gingerbread. I mean it certainly looked good but I didn’t know it was gingerbread. Also, maybe remove the grass on the center island since you are doing a candy theme, grass does not seem to fit very well. Maybe what you could do is place light green concrete powder to make it look like green sugar. Besides that, I feel like that would be a cool SkyWars map if you do decide to submit it!! Have a great day!!
    ~Degagelemming95

Posted Jul 3, 2020
    xWand and Electric_Eagle like this.
  3. Hey!
    Personally, I really love this map. The amount of creativity and effort that you put into this is very apparent, and I'm 100% here for it!! I also don't think that there is a lot that should be changed, except for like @Degagelemming95 said, which would be removing the grass from the middle, which would be following the main theme of the candy/wonderland theme!

I hope you do submit it soon! I would love to play on it :)

Posted Jul 3, 2020
    Degagelemming95 likes this.
  4. This map was built extremely well and I really appreciate the amount of effort you put into the details of it, as they really do prevail on a map like this. The amount of colors you used works incredibly well with this map, and I'd love to see it added soon. One thing I did notice is the middle island is pretty far away from the closer islands towards player's spawns. Other than that, the build looks great and I really like what you did with the glass on certain islands, certainly makes for a really cool looking underground part to them. Overall, well done!​

Posted Jul 3, 2020
  5. Im very impressed by the details on your map and I think that it would be very cool to play on! Besides what other players above suggested (removing the grass and moving the middle island a little closer to the other islands), I think that you should get rid of the iron ore blocks on the Hersheys kiss and make it all stone. That way, it would blend together better and look more like a Hersheys kiss. Other than those minor things, the map looks great!

Posted Jul 4, 2020
  6. This map looks amazing! I would be glad to play it sometime!

Posted Jul 4, 2020
  7. Hey!

I love playing Skywars in my spare time, and the interesting thing about this map is that it has a theme that we haven't really seen outside of Celebration. Because of this, the map idea itself is a lot more interesting to me, and it seems as if you delivered on the looks of this map at the very least. With that said, there are a few areas of this map that I would like to mention that I believe could make this map hit its full potential.

The initial issue is one that I've seen before and I think the islands are a bit too far apart. I believe they should be within 12-20 blocks apart, and the eye-test shows this to exceed that number greatly.
    I also think you could make the gingerbread house look more like gingerbread. You could do this by using clay instead of wood and doing more of a house style rather than an Arch over the middle chests. However, if you were to keep the same style, I believe you could make it look more like gingerbread by using clay, and by adding candy decorations and icing with clay, wool and coloured-glass.

I also think this map could use some more depth and detail in the ground and map itself. You could do this by adding some elements of elevation such as candy hills at the middle island that could hold a chest on top (not massive mountains, but small hills of elevation) and adding some sort of colour-glass ponds as a type of icing lake? I just believe that more could be added to the scenery of this map to make it more aesthetically pleasing in general.

I somewhat agree with the idea of removing the grass. However, I wouldn't want it to be white. If you were to change the grass to white wool, that would make this map almost blinding. I believe a decent idea would be to make it a variety of brown blocks to make it seem like chocolate. With this, it would still follow the candy theme, but would also add some variety of colour to the map instead of a blinding white.

I really like the idea of having a bowl of candy (being chests) at the bottom of the small islands, however, I also think more could be done here. I believe you should add more elements to give it more of a variety and make it look more alive. May this be from adding different aspects of candy to add for some combat terrain, or adding some of the ideas I suggested such as an icing lake, or chocolate coloured blocks to add some variety other than straight wood.

As well as simple changes I, and others, have mentioned, if you choose to submit this map in the future, you'll have to follow guidelines Mineplex has set out. You can find Skywars specific guidelines here. Make sure to follow the guidelines specifically, and to also follow the drawn map given at the beginning to ensure your map won't be instantly denied.

With all of that said, I love this map and love the theme you're going for. I see a lot of potential in a map like this if you choose to put the effort in to make simple changes that could separate this map from the rest. I hope to see more from you in the future, great work!

Posted Jul 4, 2020
    Electric_Eagle likes this.
  8. Hey!
    I have no words. I am absolutely involve with this map and I appreciate the amount of hard work and dedication you put into this because it really stands out. I haven't seen anything like this map before, making it very unique, but it's also super fun as well. I really love how much detail was put into it and especially the amount of color.
    I find it really unique that you chose to have islands on the side's of the player one's, instead of in between the middle and player island, really nice detail. My only problem with this would just be to maybe move it a little closer because the two islands are definitely further then other maps like @idcmax has mentioned. It might be cool if you maybe just moved the chest islands up a few blocks more, making them more diagonal to the player one's perhaps, so it'd be closer to the middle? You could even extend a few of the middle's blocks out more so you wouldn't have to move too much.
    Also, as many other player's have mentioned above, I would also suggest removing the grass on this map because it does take a bit away from the candy theme.
    Overall, really good map! I'm hoping to see this implemented one day, keep up the good work! :D​

Posted Jul 4, 2020
    christxqn likes this.
  9. Hi everyone! Thanks for the help! I have made some edits based on your suggestions! I think that the map looks more complete now and I am going to submit it tomorrow! Please let me know again if you have any more suggestions and if you have any name ideas for the map. As of now I am going to name the map Sugar Rush.

Here is a new building in the middle of the map that looks more like a gingerbread house.
    [​IMG][/url
    Middle of the Map
    [​IMG]
    Here is a new addition to the connecting islands. I added ladders to make the bottom of the connecting islands have more room and I also added sugar cubes to continue with the sugar theme.
    [​IMG]
    To fix the problem of a large gap between the middle island and the connecting islands I added waffles that made the distance between the two islands shorter.
    [​IMG]
    Here is the view of the map from above. It may look disorganized, but this is because I added some donuts in the sky. The donuts are outside of the map borders, so players cannot build or pearl to them.
    [​IMG]

Let me know what you think about the edits! Thanks!

- Electric_Eagle

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 4, 2020
    Degagelemming95, xGetRekted and Eqsa like this.