• 0 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 3351 Players Online
  • 3351 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

I don't understand anymore

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by chickenboi, Apr 28, 2021.

1. this company has been in business for over 4 years. Yet it still fails to appeal to anyone. No one understands anymore what this server is trying to do. They don't take any marketing and advert opportunities, and they certainly don't bother to appeal to their community. Personally, I made a post explaining all the issues and steps to fix them. all I got was a mouthful of backlash. I tried again with a different perspective however It got taken down by a moderator because of "light advertising" "negative criticism". I really don't understand whats the issue, and mineplex isn't addressing any of them so we don't know what they're planning to do. There is no intel on what they are doing next, it is like taking a blind guess on where the Piñata is. They don't listen and the server has barely any players compared to other competitors. They also, have plenty of opportunities to use content creators or adverts but yet they dont. Eventually, mineplex will fail to pay bills and fees, and will become an "I haven't heard that name in years"...

I don't understand...

Posted Apr 28, 2021
    Sven, JAKE///, Orangey and 20 others like this.
  2. I read the thread you linked in this post and here are my comments on the points you've provided:
    - Mineplex's community isn't trash, there are in fact a lot of good people that play this server. I've been playing this server on and off for a few years and I guarantee you that I've made friends that I've kept in touch with for years. Sure, people get frustrated and rudeness is obviously present, but that's what the rules and penalties are for. Internet is a place where people become rude and disrespectful, but that doesn't mean that they are bad people. Everyone has flaws and it's not fair to call someone trash over it. Everyone can work on something, and to prevent people from being hurt and hurting other people further, the punishment system comes in handy. If someone's rude to you, you can /report them, report them at www.mineplex.com/reports or ask for assistance in the mineplex discord. There are no communities that are 100% toxic free, but staff members are there to punish people that behave disrespectfully and that are being rude to others.
    - Your point about dedication is something I completely disagree with. Most of the current mineplex's playerbase are players that have spent a lot of time and effort into the game and they're also the ones keeping it alive. In my opinion, Mineplex already has loyal players, it just needs some new ones too. There are more than a thousand level 100s currently, and I assure you that at least 50% of that list plays actively every couple days, if not every single day.
    - Mineplex is currently working on improving Gwen as we're speaking, and if you played COTC (cake wars tournament) you would've seen that the new anti cheat, Gwen v2, is in fact very good and as soon as it's released, the amount of cheaters will drastically decrease. Compared to earlier years of Mineplex, there are actually less cheaters than there used to be.
    - You also mentioned that not enough action is taken against people being disrespectful to each other. I can assure you that if a staff member is present, action will be taken. Unfortunately, there aren't enough staff members for them to be present at all times. This is where reporting players comes in handy. If there are no staff online, you can report players that are disrespectful to you or anyone else in chat.
    * Also, I took a look at the replies on the post, and you were not bashed or attacked in any way by anyone. All you got was other people's opinions and constructive criticism, both from staff members and community members.

Posted Apr 29, 2021
  3. *long, constructive comment*
    Mineplex isn't bad it's fun

Posted Apr 29, 2021
  4. Hey,

I hope you don't mind me saying this but this post honestly doesn't hold much power when it isn't accompanied by at least one idea or suggestion. I'm not trying to parrot the forums guidelines here; in fact I'm well aware that constructive discussions can take place in the replies even if the OP doesn't have much to contribute, but the complication is you haven't exactly encouraged others to do it. Are you highlighting these issues solely for the purpose of venting your frustration, or do you actually aim to start a real conversation about how Mineplex can overcome it (I know what you're thinking, be optimistic though)? Your other thread is also much the same in terms of being detailed about the issues themselves (which is great) but not mentioning how you'd like to see things change. I sympathise with you because sometimes you won't know enough about what you're discussing to even think of anything, but it wouldn't hurt to throw in a few bits and pieces - even about your hopes for what Mineplex could do moving forward, like I will be sharing.

Moving on - unfortunately a lot of what you mentioned here refers to matters that the community or normal members of the moderation team aren't clued in on. For example, marketing, advertising, and using content creators. I know many people would like to see more from Social Media, including the revival of the MineplexGames YouTube channel which has been a recurring topic ever since it stopped being used. Any projects relating to this would be strictly under NDA, meaning we wouldn't know about them until plans are announced. The same would most likely go for marketing and advertising depending on how they plan to go about it.

Agreed on the lack of transparency from higherups. Over the last while, Community Management have been doing as much as they can to improve transparency on their end, even introducing a concept known as "town hall meetings", a planned get-together of community, staff and higherups where plans for upcoming content is discussed. At the first (and most recent) town hall meeting back in February, I know a lot of people were pleasantly surprised to hear from AlexTheCoder about "GWEN V2", an updated version of our anticheat that has already shown promising signs in testing.

CoM have also given us insight into what goes on behind the scenes in relation to ideas and feedback processing, but sadly that insight stops as soon as we hit the point where it reaches the Leadership Team (Production). We don't know what happens beyond then, and it isn't likely that LT and the owners will choose to be more transparent with us unless they're randomly inspired to do so. I agree with you that this isn't good enough - more light needs to be shed on the whole "what happens next" because it keeps everyone in the dark for far too long. We have stellar documents from CCO and GI outlining plans for future updates with no indication as to when they'll be implemented - I hate seeing them just sitting there gathering dust. Obviously nothing can be done about dev time, but we shouldn't always be kept clueless on what's done with it.

The opportunity is present for Mineplex to do something to bring in and intrigue new players, and honestly I hope they don't just let it sail past. I don't think players want to see all the dev time going into new cosmetics or holiday updates that will last less than a month. Bigger, better things need to be done that will both sustain the current playerbase and also offer potential to attract new people.

It's been increasingly difficult to predict the future, especially with the lack of transparency you've brought some awareness to. At the moment all we can do is wait and see, which unfortunately is something we aren't strangers to at this point. I'm sorry but I just can't promise you that anything meaningful will happen when we're in the dark a lot of the time. I feel like things are moving in a better direction than they might have been previously, especially with CoM's initiative to keep us better informed (which our development lead got involved in back in February) - but we have a long way to go. As for what's happening behind the curtain, specifically with the owners... who knows? Not having an answer to that question has been normalised for too long as well. It's actually been a topic of discussion in recent days if you'd like to check it out here.

Posted Apr 29, 2021
  5. for new players, i played 17,000 games and is not so fun lol

Posted Apr 29, 2021
    Orangey and Paladise like this.
  6. To put it in the most rudimentary and simplistic form, the server will continue on the same contemporary course until it's inevitable downfall. This "downfall" isn't something to be measured within months, years...or time in general. However, this "downfall" will be measured by lack of steadfast players, lack of competent administration, and ultimately a lack of a staff team and new generations of players. All servers die, just like prominent Hypixel will, and just like Hypixel's long lost rival, Mineplex will. In a way, the servers are like living things. Living things eventually die, servers will eventually die. I think it's too late now to bring back Mineplex to it's peak, we're past that. Mineplex has already fallen down that escarpment. These threads aren't going to do much at all, and will have little impact if we're being honest. Mineplex will last a couple of more years, potentially three-four, maybe more. It ultimately depends on Minecraft's popularity too and the playerbase's median age. Hypixel could be related to, "all that glitters is not gold." Mineplex, well, mineplex has been through rough times and the playerbase ultimately pushed through some inactive years. Maybe, just maybe, we could revive the server and get it back on a constant track, however we're going to need a lot of attention from the administration and official team so they understand with full knowledge on what our desires are. Let's just hope they hark attentively...

Posted Apr 29, 2021
    chickenboi likes this.
  7. Mineplex makes FAT stacks from immortal sales and the shop so it won't really go down for like a long time. Although Mineplex shouldn't ruin their servers image by not really doing anything about the criticisms.

Posted Apr 29, 2021
    chickenboi likes this.
  8. As someone who has been playing the network for the past 7 years, with periods of high activity in the surrounding network and community on Mineplex over the years, I'm not the most qualified person to be talking about this, but I can offer my own insight into the situation, as I have in the past in quite a few threads. This topic is by far the most common one.

The first thing I would like to bring up is the frequency of these threads. I rarely check the forums anymore, and being banned from the discord server and not engaged in the community at all anymore, I don't see a lot of the server. However, when I do pop on the forums, the first thread I see in the new posts section is always the same; some post about how bad the server is making the same main points. While the fact that there never fails to be a fresh thread on this topic isn't the best representation of the server's current state, it is telling. As a member of other forums on other minecraft servers, I have never seen a group of people so consistently hate on a network. It goes without saying that Mineplex is without fail, one of the most hated on Minecraft servers.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes the most popular things in life can be the most hated ones. However, when it comes to Mineplex I think that the frequent community hate is genuinely a good representation of the quality of the network.

I want to avoid writing entire paragraphs and waste too much of my time on an issue that has never and will never be addressed properly, but I would like to make a few points.

Mineplex's Staff Team structure is by far one of the biggest things in the Mineplex community. It goes without saying that the team can often act as the center of the culture at Mineplex, and while your own experience may not reflect that, for people that are involved in the community and care about Mineplex more than just for games, it is true. However, this aspect of the community is inherently flawed. Mineplex has always struggled with making the staff team all about accomplishments, and due to things such as their "rigorous" application process, Trainee Announcement Parties, and more, the idea of being on the staff team is appealing to a lot of people for simply the wrong reasons. I myself, and many others have fallen for the idea that involvement in the community equals being on the staff team, and there are an absurd number of cases where people simply applied to the team for the pride and since of accomplishment that goes with it. The flashy ranks, badges, sub-teams, and more are all so overwhelmingly "positive" that the public image of the staff team tends to be this big blob of faked positivity. To add to that, a large majority of the staff team is comprised of cliques, specifically within subteams and Sr. Mod teams.

This may have changed, but in my time being involved on the network subteams would frequently fight with each other about which team was better, even to the point where action had to be taken against it. I've heard plenty of stories of staff members being downright terrible to other members not in their little social circle, and there's plenty of biases within the team, and a lot of corruption. Efforts have been made to reduce that, but there is one core thing that needs to change before anything can get better.

Mineplex is overwhelmed with staff members. Here's a recent quote from @gpsqueixo on this thread:

"Let's do some ratios: currently, there are 155 staff members. Divide this by the number of average players on the network (I'd say around 1500), you get 1 staff per 10 players. Contrast that with 2016 numbers (353 maximum staff), when the server averaged around 30000 players, and you get 1 staff per 125 players. See the problem?"

The people on the staff team have created a massive culture around being a staff member. There's Trainee Acceptance parties, big announcement messages in the discord server, congratulations on the forums, and all around desirable credibility and fame that all make it desirable to be on the staff team. More frequently than I wish was true, I have seen people play on the server for a few weeks, write some posts on the forums, and the next thing I know they've got the Mineplex Badge of Honor displayed on the profile in the form of a big orange Trainee tag. I was susceptible to it for a while, and I know personally many others are as well- It's not hard to admit that the level of fame within the community and the power behind being a staff member gives you is desirable. That being said, in short, the Mineplex staff team is not only overwhelmingly large compared to what it used to be, it's also full of people who are in it for the subteams, badges, fame, power, social status, and more. They will never admit it, but it's true.

What this essentially causes is a staff team that is not productive in the slightest. More often than not, I see staff members focusing on their appearance within the community than actual duties. Yes, Trainees will often help for a while before they get promoted, but actual staff work, like punishing cheaters and overall moderation of the server, never gets done. StaffRequest is worthless. The stupid amount of policies surrounding banning cheaters means that most kinds of common cheats these days (i.e. modified knockback, reach, macros etc.) can't even be banned for by normal moderation staff. This has personally dwindled my experience of my favorite games, such as Survival Games and Cake Wars, and honestly has caused me to stop playing the server.

On top of what I just mentioned, the bloated staff team is full of a lot of Sr. Mods. Like @gpsqueixo mentioned. these Sr. Mods rarely do anything beneficial to the extent that is actually noticeable by the community. It's hard to argue for the existence of teams like Event Squad, Community Management, Social Media, and more. All of these teams manage and perform tasks for relatively unimportant things in the server, and for the majority of them, it's true that the sub-teams under their jurisdiction do the majority of the work. Most of the staff members on these teams honestly just sit comfortably with their ranks and never do anything. In fact, the whole idea of Sr. Mod structure is pointless. A lot of the tasks can be performed by Moderators through subteams, and all it does is give countless staff members the opportunity to not have any quotas to fulfill and do minimal work. It's hard to argue that the occasional Twitter post, is worth having an entire sr mod team for. Event work can be performed by the people in the EA subteam and managed by staff members within that team. Community Management is useless if the people in charge don't listen to the community anyways (which is very true of Mineplex).

To summarize all of the points I just made, the Mineplex staff team is accomplishment-oriented. The bulk of the staff members on the team are more focused with numbers, subteams, and status more than anything else, and that is evident in the player's experience.

One final thing I would like to talk about is how the community is listened to. To put it simply, it isn't! SSM hasn't been updated in over three years. The SkyWars update was poorly received and to this day a lot of people don't like it to the point where they quit. The entirety of the feedback and ideas section on the forums is never listened to, and the trello board FULL of ideas that have been accepted by CoM that will never be implemented into the server is ridiculous. Devs and leaders are quitting more than ever, and the fact that the most frequent updates on Mineplex are map updates is frustrating. Bugs never get fixed, ideas aren't listened to, and most importantly of all, the people making the decisions don't care about the community. A prime example of this was Immortal. I was on the Ideas Team when Immortal was released, and a lot of the ideas I had personally denied because the Leadership Team didn't want were implemented into Immortal without any notice whatsoever. LT goes back on their word and absolutely never listens to the community.

I realize now that I rambled a lot more than I would have liked to, but if you were to take anything away from this post, there are two main things that need to be recognized and fixed:

1. The entirety of the structure of the staff team and its purposes
    2. Community interaction in higher ups. The community simply isn't listened to and anyone that argues that point doesn't know what their talking about.

Posted Apr 29, 2021
    Orangey, Ocelotguyy, Mothy and 11 others like this.
  9. Already is for the majority of the ex-playerbase.

Regarding the original post, Mineplex does have a goal, and it's to keep up the status quo. To keep the server running for the foreseeable future. I think it's pretty easy to extrapolate that they're not trying to grow from here, else the things you mention (content creators, additional large projects, etc.) would be in the works and you would've already seen or heard more about them by now. The network is not in a state of disarray, it's in a state of slow decay-- and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

If you take away this assumption that Mineplex "has" to grow, you can think of it in kind of a sweet way. It's like a time capsule almost. Mineplex is getting older, but thanks to the management it's in a pretty decent shape. As long as profitable, the network will keep running, but that doesn't mean that it's going to grow from here. It's probably just going to age.

Take away the assumptions that A) Mineplex owes you something and B) Mineplex is looking to "overtake" competitors and you can enjoy the server for what it is-- a sweet community with some great and nostalgic games. Play for however long you'd like and move on, but it looks like holding out hope that Mineplex is going to miraculously take over the Minecraft Multiplayer market is doing you more harm than good.

I know that this isn't going to be what people want to hear and that this post will irk some people, but I don't think there would have been any sense in me trying to rebut your points like everyone else above me. They're valid points. You can pass off blame to the SM team, to CoM, to the admins and developers, but it's not their business. They're just employees and/or volunteers, and it's no one's responsibility for marketing and management but the people that own the company at the end of the day. They make the active choice not to expand (and no one else), and no amount of posturing or logical fallacies that people are using are going to change that.

Of course, there will still be updates. Of course, the network will still continue to release new content and improve their anti-cheat. But that's the minimum required to sustain it, and again, that's okay. As long as there are people able to generate revenue to fuel the status quo, Mineplex will always be able to run. As long as it holds some appeal, Mineplex will run.

I won't speak as to the moderation actions you mentioned in your post, because, again, Mineplex Staff while great people are not directly representative of the business as a whole. What they did could have been a mistake, or it could have been completely valid, and that's not my place to decide. But you should realize that if you take a step back, and look at it from a different perspective it really does not matter. The post was removed, and that means squat.

Enjoy Mineplex for however long you feel necessary, then move on- But try not to get bogged down in all the stuff I talked about before. Do me a favour and enjoy the friends, games, and fun, and then go ahead, take a step forward, and enjoy the rest of your life.

Isaac

Posted Apr 30, 2021,
    Last edited Apr 30, 2021
    anthony., WowCaleb, Klobby and 16 others like this.
  10. I think that to attract more new players, mineplex should do a community event.

Posted Apr 30, 2021
  11. I'd argue Mineplex sorta owes it to the volunteers doing work for the server to at least be very transparent about this, but w/e.

Posted Apr 30, 2021
  12. you figure it out on your own at some point

Posted Apr 30, 2021
    chickenboi and Fallen like this.
  13. Is w/e 'whatever'?

Posted Apr 30, 2021
  14. Mineplex is a server like many others, decreasing in players, losing appeal. But ultimately it's not about that. it's about the memories you share and make on the server. Experience joy and fun with friends through the various selection of games. Just relax, and have fun.

Posted Apr 30, 2021
    JustOvi_ likes this.
  15. Maybe, but then again they have no really good reason to, and like @Augend said, any and all volunteers for the network figure it out for themselves eventually.

Posted May 1, 2021
  16. True.
    I mean yeah, it's not in their self interest, but neither are a lot of other things they do. Just that they can get away with this and the community is split enough that it works out for them.
    yep

Posted May 1, 2021
  17. It is what it is :P

Posted May 1, 2021
  18. fat stacks - 10-20k per month

hypixel stacks - 10-20 mil per month

Posted May 1, 2021
    chickenboi likes this.
  19. At least it's enough to even keep this server alive lolz

Posted May 1, 2021
  20. This is something I wanted to comment on - back in 2015 and 2016, while the server was already starting to decay, it did feel like something was going on. New games were being added, existing ones still updated more frequently than today (as far as I remember), changes such as new hubs and ranks. Many changes were disliked, but it was easily justified by players not initially liking certain changes to the status quo.

Nowadays though, the fact that nothing is going on is what is making the server in the state of a dead end. The majority of the playerbase is arguably still here because they have a friend circle, a game they main or similar. Unless the leadership is comfortable with the idea of the network shutting down in the foreseeable future due to a lack of players / revenue, a reset or rebranding has to happen in my opinion. It doesn't really matter how, although I'd prefer a mix of nostalgia and more modern features - classic Mineplex games and PvP intensive games that do not require many players to run.

Which is exactly why it's hard to get motivation for these longer posts at this point.

Posted May 1, 2021
    Fusafez, Paladise and chickenboi like this.