• 1518 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 4097 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

How To: Resolve Lag

Discussion in 'Mineplex Guides' started by z609, Mar 30, 2019.

Tags:
?

Did you find this thread helpful, insightful, or useful?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    93.8%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. Preamble
    I once made a post replying to a thread that asked about lag issues that were experienced. You'd probably be quite surprised how often players run into or complain about lag on a daily basis. Seeing as I've been managing Minecraft servers (not necessarily Mineplex) since late 2013, I thought I'd go more in-depth than the original post and share some of my knowledge on how to identify the types of lag, the possible causes of each type, and how to resolve them efficiently and as quickly as possible.

Step 0: I'm Lagging!
    You're encountering lag. The first step is to figure out if it's temporary or consistent. If it's temporary (meaning it lasts from a couple seconds to a minute or so), then it's probably best to wait it out. Sometimes there are things in the environment or on your computer/in the network that might play a role into the lag you're experiencing (for example, your computer performing background scans/tasks, your siblings logging onto Netflix, or a server doing an intensive task like player movement). When this is the case, just wait it out. If it continues, you can move on to step 1.

Step 1: What type of lag is it?
    The type of lag is the most important part of this process. Understanding what is lagging in particular will help you understand the causes of such lag and anything and everything you can do to fix it. Take the time to think about it, and look at the descriptions for each type of lag below, and when you have determined your type of lag, proceed to step 2:
    • FPS/Computer Temporary Lag: If you occasionally have an FPS drop down to low 20's/10's, or your computer seems to be running fine, and then repeatedly drops down to 10's or 10's, you probably have temporary lag.

• FPS/Computer Lag: If you constantly receive a low framerate, you're probably just experiencing regular client-side/Minecraft lag.

• Ping/Network Lag: When you ping a server in your server list, you will see the MOTD and a connection bar, as well as the player count. When you place your mouse pointer over the connection bar, you will read a number followed by "ms," which is the abbreviation for milliseconds. This is called "ping," and is the measurement of time it takes for your computer to talk to Mineplex, and talk back to you. The lower this number, the better. Generally, you'd want to have less than 80 ms, but it can vary.
      [​IMG]

• Mineplex Lag: Rarely does Mineplex lag, but when it does, stay calm. Take note of the ping of other players when pressing tab:
      [​IMG]

Look at each connection bar--are a majority of them low or have an X? If so, the server you're on might be experiencing what is known as general server lag. Read step 2 to see all the possible causes of this.
    Step 2: What are the causes?
    Read each lag type below, and read up on how each type of lag can be caused! When you are understanding of how these types of lag are caused, you can proceed to step 3.

FPS/Computer Temporary Lag
    This is supposed to be temporary, meaning that it only lasts a couple seconds to a a minute or two. But if your FPS drops to what seems like 0 FPS, you could have one of several causes:
    • Out of RAM: This is by far one of the most common issues. When you start Minecraft, a certain amount of RAM (Random Access Memory) or simply "memory" is allocated (set aside for Minecraft) so that the game can load in valuable assets such as textures and game code to make the entire game function smoothly. The key word is smoothly -- when Minecraft runs out of memory (or doesn't have enough memory to begin with), you will notice constant drops to what seems like 0 FPS, without any explanation. This usually means there is a memory leak (usually a mod or a part of the game that keeps draining memory for no good reason), or you have been playing the game for many hours straight.
    • Overheating: All computers have a certain threshold (a maximum of something) of heat that they can handle. Most computers have the same threshold of temperature, which is 100 Degrees Celsius (212 Degrees Fahrenheit). When a computer reaches this point, it may try to slow down the computer's speed to prevent it from heating up too much. This doesn't happen often, unless you're using a laptop - if your laptop is on your lap while playing Minecraft, it'd be best to place it on a desk or stable surface as the heat that is set off from the bottom of the laptop is just being blown onto your legs, and suffocating the laptop because the heat has nowhere to go but back into the laptop, causing an overheating issue. The same can happen when you're placing it on a blanket or comforter--everyone loves to get cozy but it might just be the way to stop any possible overheating. Of course, if you're in a hot room, the likelihood of this being the probable cause goes up a little bit. The only other possible reason could be the way your computer is built or manufactured - computers require a certain procedure when built to ensure that the CPU (central processing unit) or processor doesn't overheat. When this procedure isn't adhered to, then it could cause unnecessary overheating when there might be a simple fix possible.
    FPS/Computer Lag
    General lag that lasts more than a minute or two is usually something that has to do with the status of your computer.
    • Background Tasks: If you are running an antimalware or antivirus scan in the background, or an app is performing a critical update, you might be exposed to this cause of lag. If you're running any big processes such as rendering a YouTube video, or recording gameplay footage, you might also experience this cause.
    • OptiFine: It's almost a standard that most players have OptiFine installed. If you don't have it installed, you're missing out on critical fine-tuning that can help boost your Minecraft framerate and stability.
    • Old/Slow Computer: Generally, if your computer is old or is slow to do even simple tasks outside of Minecraft, you might just not be too lucky when it gets to this point. This is the last thing you should assume when trying to find the cause of computer lag.
    Ping/Network Lag
    The Internet is quite complicated. Read a little bit more about the causes of this issue:
    • Location: Mineplex's US servers are hosted in Chicago, IL. The Internet can only travel so fast--and distance = time. The further you are away from Chicago, the higher your ping will likely be.
    • Bad WiFi Reception (for WiFi only): You're a bit far away from your access point/router!
    • Bad Local Connection: Your router or access point might be bloated when trying to play on Mineplex. If you have a bunch of people on your network (your mother/father watching Netflix, and your sibling(s) playing Roblox, all at the same time), your network will start to slow down.
    • Bad External/Internet Connection: Your home router has to connect to the Internet somehow, and perhaps your ISP (Internet service provider) is performing maintenance on its network and causing lag. Another cause of this could be an attack known as a DoS (denial of service) or DDoS (distributed denial of service attack) on your home Internet connection. This can happen when you're not careful online, or share your IP (Internet protocol) address with people you don't trust or access websites that seem deceptive.
    • Bad ISP: Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) might just be plain bad. Your ISP (at least in the United States) can be something like Comcast/Xfinity, AT&T U-verse, Cablevision/Optimum/Altice One, Spectrum/Time Warner Cable/Charter, CenturyLink, Verizon/Frontier, Cox Communications, and more. The better ISPs tend to be Verizon/Frontier and Xfinity (depending on where you live).
    • Bad ISP Plan: Your ISP might not be bad, however. Most ISPs in the United States have a certain set Internet speed that can only be increased by paying more--this can be reflected on your parents' bill.
    Mineplex Lag
    Most of the time, this never happens. But when Mineplex itself starts to lag, it's best to wait it out, or contact a staff member so that we can possibly restart the affected server.

Step 3: How do I fix this?
    Below are all the causes and fixes for each.
    • Out of RAM: In your Minecraft launcher, assign more memory to your Minecraft by modifying the "JVM Arguments."

Turn on your "Advanced settings" option
      [​IMG]

Click your game profile and then change the 1 to any number of gigabytes of RAM you'd like to allocate. Afterwards, click Save and try launching the game.
      [​IMG]

• Overheating: Move your laptop (if applicable) to a flat surface, or in extreme cases, get something to prop up the corners of the bottom of your laptop so as to make space between the bottom of the laptop and the top of the surface. Try not to put it on your lap or blanket/comforter. If you are in a hot environment, move to a cooler area, or turn on an air conditioning unit and wait until the room is cooler before playing again. If all these requirements are met, and you're still experiencing sudden drops in FPS, you might not have computer properly assembled. Contact your manufacturer (if applicable, and if your computer is still under warranty) or someone who is knowledgeable with computers (such as a friend or a computer repair shop), and talk to them about "CPU thermal throttling." Feel free to even show them this thread to get more context.
    • Background Tasks: Kill off the background tasks! If you want to play Minecraft but have something running in the background, it might be best to consider playing Minecraft at a different time, or doing the background task a different time. You can usually cancel most antivirus/antimalware scans and updates, so try that--otherwise, consider waiting to play at a different time, or consider uninstalling the antivirus/antimalware software seeing as it doesn't let you even cancel or pause/postpone scans and updates.
    • OptiFine: You can download the OptiFine mod at https://optifine.net/downloads, and double-click the JAR file that is downloaded to run and install it.
    • Old/Slow Computer: There aren't that many fixes for this apart from upgrading your computer (if it's not a laptop) or buying a new one outright. If you can't get one, save up money and possibly borrow a computer from someone else (with their permission). There are many reasons a computer might be slow even if it's new, so I won't be going into that in this thread.
    • Location: Unfortunately, you can't do much about ping if you don't live near our servers. I advise against moving to Chicago, IL to get better ping, seeing as our server locations can change at any time anyway.
    • Bad WiFi Reception (for WiFi only): Move closer to your router/access point! It'll help! (Most non-laptop computers DO NOT have WiFi, so don't think you can move the desktop PC without losing access--you very likely need an Ethernet cable)
    • Bad Local Connection: Tell your parents or siblings to get off the Internet! (or don't)
      Try waiting until things have quieted down with Internet usage, and then try playing again.
    • Bad External/Internet Connection: Check for outages or maintenance issues in your area--if there is maintenance being performed, you might need to wait until it is completed. If you think you may be the victim of a DoS or DDoS attack, turn off/unplug your router, wait 15 minutes, and turn it back on/plug it back in.
    • Bad ISP: Unfortunately, unless you are the person who pays for the Internet at your home, you might have trouble convincing your parents/guardians to switch ISPs. There are usually contracts involved between your parents/guardians and the ISP. You can ask them about switching to a better ISP, if one is available in your area, but you might need to try the other methods above.
    • Bad ISP Plan: If you are not on the highest "tier" plan of Internet speed, consider upgrading it for an extra cost per month. If you are not the person paying for the Internet within your home, DO NOT attempt to change it yourself or access the account yourself. Ask your parent/guardian about upgrading, and list other reasons why. Remember that it costs more per month, and even then it might not be worth it as download and Internet speed don't usually have to do with Minecraft.
    • Mineplex Lag: Contact a Staff Member in-game (not on Discord) to check into lag. Usually, some staff members can restart servers to help alleviate any lag issues associated with the one server experiencing issues.
    I hope that the information that was included in this thread could be found useful to you. If you have any questions, or suggestions for additions to this thread, please message me and I'll be more than happy to reply within a timely manner.

Have a great day!
    z609

Posted Mar 30, 2019
  2. Wow looks like you spent a lot of time on this!
    really good. Fortunately, I don't suffer from lag. Looks helpful! Good one on this!

Posted Mar 30, 2019
    z609 likes this.
  3. Hey there!

This is a very comprehensive guide on how to fix lag, and I'm sure many people would agree! Even though I don't experience lag as much, I believe this will come extremely useful for those who do. Additionally, it looks like you've spent quite a lot of time on this. Thanks for writing this very helpful guide!

Posted Mar 30, 2019
    z609 likes this.
  4. Hey z609!

That is a very informative guide that you have and this will help many players who are having trouble playing on the server. I remember that I was lagging a lot and it was mainly because of my internet problems in the past. After switching another ISP, I feel like my internet speed has been improving a lot and I was so proud of myself! About the FPS/Computer lag, I am currently using my custom PC build, and I did not have too much trouble, but my laptop still does. Looking forward to improving my FPS on my 7 years old laptop!

Overall, that is a very helpful thread that you have, and keep up the great work!

Posted Mar 30, 2019
    pzazz and z609 like this.
  5. I checked through the "bad ISP plans" solutions part of this guide. You said there that internet speeds and download speeds don't usually have to do with ping, but I was wondering if upload speeds do. I did a speedtest check when I was getting 3 bars and the results were: "Ping: 32 ms. Download speed: 37.49 Mbps." However, the upload speed was 4.96 Mbps, which seems a little odd. I'm wondering if my low upload speed has to do anything with my lag.

Posted Mar 30, 2019
    z609 likes this.
  6. Hey!

I would like to thank you on behalf of all of the players that suffer from lag issues for taking the time to make this comprehensive guide! I know a lot of people will be helped by this guide and it is always great to see players (and staff members) trying to help each other.

Your guide covered a lot so I can't think of much else to suggest, you could consider forum post formatting such as using spoilers, but that would be completely up to you and based on your own personal tastes

Posted Mar 30, 2019
    z609 likes this.
  7. It sounds like you have a regular cable (copper, the metal that is used to transmit the data using pulses of electricity that make up the 0's and the 1's ;) ) connection--most of these connections use something called an asymmetrical connection. They both make up a certain Internet speed, but one might be higher than the other. Generally, you're going to be doing more downloading than uploading, and that is why your ISP has selected the download to be faster than the upload. Of course, that doesn't answer the question, but that does answer the reason why upload is slower than download. Obviously, there are connections that are plain synchronous, meaning they have the same upload and download. For example, take a look at my fancy connection speed:
    [​IMG]
    I use Verizon/Frontier FiOS (and I'm not sponsored to say that, haha). I have a Gigabit Internet plan (which is 1Gbps, or 1000Mbps). Of course, there are some limitations and of course, it all depends on the environment that you'll get a perfect gigabit (and even then, they cap you at 940 Mbps download and 880 Mbps upload). But you'll notice that my upload speed is faster than my download! It's generally synchronous, and it is almost supposed to be, but you can see that it's certainly a thing that certain companies will give you equal download and upload--Verizon just so happens to be one of them.

But, you'll notice, that I have 6 ms ping in the result image! But in my screenshot in the original post, you'll see that I have about 25 ms ping in Minecraft! What gives?!

Look at the Host section of the Ookla Speedtest result - the server that ran my speedtest was hosted in Piscataway, New Jersey - only 50 miles from where I live in Trenton, New Jersey. That means I'm connecting to a server 50 miles away, in the same state I live - meaning, not in the same state as Chicago.

You can actually set the location you'd like to test. You can set it by clicking Change Server and then typing Chicago. A list of servers within the Chicago area will pop up. From there, you can click any one of them, although I'd stick with the ones that say Verizon/Frontier, QTS Data Centers, or good ole' Comcast.
    [​IMG]

Now take a look at my test to Verizon/Frontier's speedtest server in Chicago:
    [​IMG]

You can see the ping is significantly higher! This is because, as stated in the Location cause, distance = time. The higher the distance, the higher the time, which means the higher the ping, which in turn means the more the lag. New Jersey to New Jersey is much shorter than New Jersey to Illinois!

And of course, that higher ping in the Chicago test is much more synonymous with my ping that I got to Mineplex. Try running a speedtest to a Chicago server, and see what you get!

Another big factor is rural areas - if you live in a rural area, you likely will not have the best ping or speeds, because of old/slow equipment or not enough staff to be willing to invest in upgrading or increasing the speeds of networks. A lot of people in rural areas also will not have as many choices of ISP. Many people are stuck using the same company with no way to use another company simply because there is one ISP in that area. Is it monopolization?? The world will never know, but there have been debates about whether or not this is fair to customers. Many rural areas also impose data caps of 800 GB-1 TB of data per month, kind of like your cell phone bill. My Verizon Fios plan (and none of Verizon's plans) offer data caps, because power to the people! I forgot to mention all of this in the original post, but I will certainly add it in a couple hours. :)

I hope I was thorough, but it's a good question! Just remember that distance = time.
    (and if you're in a rural area, your ISP's equipment as well)

It's no biggie! A player asked in Lobby-1 about ways of improving lag, and the causes of some lag. Seeing as there was no official article on the Mineplex website about lag (and the one on Mojang's website isn't as detailed), I thought I'd make one seeing as I am an official. My hopes were to be able to link this thread to people who ask questions on the network about lag, so that they can better pin-point their specific issue, get reasons as to why it might be happening, and how to fix them (a manual to troubleshoot lag, for lack of better terms). I chose to omit spoilers for now because the thread is still kind of short (2,200 words is pretty short ??), but I will definitely consider it as it takes up the majority of the first page. Thank you for the kind words! :)

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Mar 30, 2019,
    Last edited Mar 30, 2019
    Danese likes this.
  8. Wow, a guide to lag that isn't terrible. Seriously though, props to you.

Posted Mar 30, 2019
  9. @z609 Good thread! My computer experiences a lot of temporary lag, but sadly I think the problem is that I only have 4 gigabytes of RAM. I already tried all said methods above, so I think it's just my computer. This could be very helpful to others though.

Your internet speed is insane! I'm currently getting 32.8 mbps download and 8.15 mbps upload. I'm supposed to be having good WiFi too.

Posted Mar 31, 2019
  10. I’ll be looking more at causes of temporary drops, if there are any more, and will post them here.

Your Internet seems pretty good, most people lack a good upload and yours is pretty up there. Remember that communicating over WiFi is slower than over a wired Ethernet network!!
    I guess it pays to have a background with networking :p
    But no, seriously thank you. Made this to help others and I hope it is doing just that.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Mar 31, 2019
    Fall likes this.
  11. EU players:
    :samlol:

Posted Mar 31, 2019
  12. It must be their internet. Mineplex never lags lol

Posted Mar 31, 2019
  13. That’d have to do with lag by location ;) - at least when playing on US servers.

Last I checked, almost all instability on EU servers had been fixed.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Mar 31, 2019
  14. Thank you so much for your advice my games a bit better now thanks to your thread!

Posted Apr 1, 2019
    z609 likes this.
  15. Really glad to hear that! Thank you for the positive feedback! :)

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Apr 1, 2019
  16. I've had a problem with RAM recently and didn't know about the fix in the launcher. Thank you so much!

Posted Apr 2, 2019
  17. Yup! It’s one of the first things you should check when fixing random frame drops. Most people should be fine with the default 1G, but if you have multiple mods or a high resolution resource pack it’d be worth looking into upping it :)

If after updating the ram, you still have issues, and you’re about to max out your memory (never allocate more than the RAM you have in your computer!), it might be worth looking into any mods you’re running. Memory leaks just consume and consume your RAM for no reason, causing you to run out of memory and run into frame drops.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Apr 3, 2019
  18. I have 2+-mbps download 50+-mbps upload internet connection.
    My router is 10+- years old.

I get lag spikes, everything pauses (I can move around but I get teleported back when the lag disappears) and it skips everything in that period of time (about 10 seconds up to 10 minutes) it happens per 1~10 minutes after last lag depending of the minigame I'm playing.
    I don't know what kind of lag that is.
    It says it is 100~200ms ping (which is playable) and not everybody lags (some people does but very rarely).
    Do you know what kind of lag that is?

Posted Nov 8, 2019
  19. That is called a 10 year old router. Personally I have to get a new router every 3-4 years or my internet will have frequent lag spikes or will crash completely. Definantly get a new router, other than that you dont give much detail so its hard to give a fix. It also could just be your computer/laptop.

Posted Nov 8, 2019
  20. Wow! Thanks for this guide, it was super interesting to read! I did try to get OptiFine but my computer Anti-Virus freaked out so I didn’t get it :-/

Posted Nov 8, 2019