• 1376 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 5555 Players Online
  • 4179 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

How do I get good at ranger? Any good starting builds or tips?

Discussion in 'Champions' started by Enigmatic, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Title says it all.

Posted Oct 5, 2018
    SickleMode likes this.
  2. Getting good with Ranger is essentially just being skilled with a bow, and having proper timing when using abilities. A good starter build, IMO, is:

Disengage 1: Disengage is probably the best getaway ability Ranger has. However, it also takes skill to use properly, because it requires the opponent to hit you within one single second of blocking to activate. This takes some practice to get used to, but a starting build is, after all, designed for the learning curve.

Roped Arrow 4: Unless you're really good and can handle yourself without it, a Ranger needs some kind of mobility. An inexperienced Ranger is going to get destroyed if they can only move as far as a Knight or Brute can. That's what this ability is for. Roped Arrow at level 4 can get you off the ground and away from conflict with a very short cooldown.

Barrage 3: This helped me a ton when I was training myself to use the bow properly. Barrage will allow you to still get some damage and knockback in even if you miss the shot, making it much less deadly if you have bad aim.

Sharpshooter 3: Simply put, this ability greatly rewards precise aiming. If anything encourages better bow use it's this.

Break Fall 1: Since you'll most likely often be in high up locations, this will help negate some of that clumsy fall damage until you really know what you're doing.

Once you get really good with aim and timing, you can start using abilities like Overcharge in place of Barrage with Sharpshooter and Longshot for some devastating arrow damage, Pin Down and Wolf's Fury for incredible melee damage, or just whatever fits your play style. The beauty of Ranger is that a skilled player can use it for anything they want, whether it be range, melee, support or even fast travel.

Posted Oct 6, 2018
    Xion, SickleMode and FreezaSama like this.
  3. I've been a Ranger main for about 3 years now. I used to be considered one of the best rangers in competitive Champions (until I basically quit) and I just wanted to say that until the game is fixed, Assassin is and will continue to be strictly better. Not only that, Assassin directly counters Ranger so it's really tough to play the class especially at a high level.

Posted Oct 8, 2018
    Berend, FrozenAnarchy and SickleMode like this.
  4. be a bowspammer?

Posted Oct 8, 2018
    SickleMode likes this.
  5. 1. Learn the good spots to be on the map (legit just watch comp gameplay and see where rangers set up)

2. Git gud with a bow

3. Optimize build. General rules- if you are actually looking to get good, you should probably stay away from heavy arrows and barrage. They are both OK, but dont really fit how most 'good' rangers play, or in the case of barrage its really just a handicap.

I'd also stay away from Longshot until it gets changed, which is probably gonna be around Halloween (or maybe later?) since MP likes to package updates like that.

Posted Oct 8, 2018
    SickleMode likes this.
  6. I have nothing to contribute other than to say that I completely agree with Hida.

Posted Oct 8, 2018
  7. Try to predict the movement of your target - aim ahead of them. The further away you are from your target, and also the higher your ping is, the further ahead you have to aim of your opponent. Your opponent may not always move though, they may also stand still or move not as much as they do when sprinting - it is up to you to judge which of the three is likelier to happen.

Be prepared to be ambushed at any moment. Assassins love going after you in a way in which you couldn't see them coming. Frequently look behind your back, and have a sword or an axe at the ready to use escaping skills such as Agility or Disengage, or to fight back with melee attacks.

Like others said, know your maps and seek out the best spots in which you're the most protected from enemies, but from which you also have a clear view for shooting at enemies. If you're going for a more offensive ranger playing style with a skill such as Sharpshooter, be good at melee. You're more frequently going to have to fight back with melee attacks than when you go for a defensive ranger playing style.

Posted Oct 9, 2018
    I_Am_Icqrus likes this.
  8. I don't main ranger; however, Notaker main point of predicting a players movement and just being good with a bow can make you good enough.

Posted Oct 10, 2018
  9. You'll get a ton of hate for it, but a good way to practice is Barbed Arrows. In it's current state, just hit them once and you can then proceed to bow lock them. You get better at aiming in general, though it doesn't do much for your prediction abilities since they can barely move.
    The long term goal for any ranger should be to get good with Longshot, which in it's current state, isn't really worth learning. I don't want to take the time to re-learn the velocity because I feel like it'll be changed (hopefully) by the time I'd have learned it. It's bad at long range but really, really good at close-medium range right now. Basically if they're mid range or closer just aim oh so slightly above their head.

Here are a few good builds to get you started:

Longshot Build
    Wolfs Pounce 4
    Agility 1
    Roped Arrow 1
    Overcharge 3
    Longshot 3
    Power Sword, Standard Axe, Bow, 2 soups and 3 stacks of arrows.

Wolfs Pounce and Roped Arrow give you massive mobility on relatively short cooldowns, and both can be used for melee combos when people get too close. Agility lets you reduce fall damage from your movement skills or being knocked off, or just get out of a sticky situation.
    Overcharge + Longshot do massive damage when hit, and Longshot is on a decent cooldown so by the time you've finished aiming your shot you should be able to fire another one.
    The balance between soups and arrows gives you enough survivability without sacrificing arrows.

Bowlock Build
    Disengage 3
    Pin Down 3
    Overcharge 3
    Barbed Arrows 3

Since this build is meant for closer ranges, Disengage is a life saver. Pin Down is good for slowing someone to stack hits and it's an instant fire, meaning you can 180 to save your life while being chased.
    Barbed Arrows slows people and makes them about as easy to hit as fish in a barrel. Overcharge is just free damage.
    You can Barbed with Sharpshooter to not be considered scum.

Posted Nov 7, 2018
    Sophie_OGrady and lili. like this.
  10. I agree with Ethan. Barbed Arrows are a great way to practice.

Posted Nov 10, 2018
  11. dont play it.

just joking, LOL, I used to like it, use abilities like napalm shot, but also healing abilities and wolf pounce. its important to play for the team, not for kills, with ranger

Posted Nov 19, 2018
  12. It really just depends on how you would like to play. There are many strats when it comes to playing a ranger in general, and from there you just get better.

If you preferred to stay away from combat, I would recommend Disengage. Perfect for getting away and it gives the enemy slowness. But make sure you in a good spot when using it. You don't want to be blasted back into a wall. Also maybe use something like heavy if you want. It takes some skills to get used to but other than that it's really good. If not, there is also barbed. Not a fan favorite but it does help when you need to get away. Also, something like agility could help if you want to run away from the battle and stay back and shoot

If you want to go in and fight, I would recommend using sharpshooter, overcharge. Explosive so you could deal some fall damage, if not Napalm is a good use as well. Wolf pounce or disengage could go well either way in this kit. You could use an axe if you want, but personally, I don't use an axe. Sharpshooter is really good especially when you spam. *But don't feel bad for bowspamming because, in the end, it's a skill that is needed when using sharpshooter to keep the counter alive*

Just playing the kit in general, It just takes some time to get used to if you aren't really good at using a bow. You just need to focus more on timing your shots. Before you know it you will be a really good archer that people will be afraid of hahaha.

Hope my input helped!

Posted Nov 21, 2018
  13. If you want advice from a really good ranger, ask Press1ToLick

They know what theyre talking about, and they have a really annoying loadout (In a good way, <3)

Posted Nov 21, 2018
  14. Imo default ranger is pretty good no gonna lie. Disengage, barbed, agility, barrage, and napalm is posibpos the most resourceful default kit iveI seen. PM me on here if you want to know some of my builds.

Posted Nov 22, 2018
  15. What I did to get better with the bow was I made a single player flatworld. Animals and slimes, stationary objects, are a great way to practice. I would stand or fly to different distances around the world - first close, then further away - trying to hit entities. This let me test out the height my crosshair was from the entity.

Over time, I started playing games with bows (Turf Wars, SSM) and practiced on moving entities. The single player flatworld does help a lot. If you’re a quick learner, it won’t take you much time to start remembering crosshair placement.

Hope this helped!

Posted Nov 22, 2018
  16. I actually loaded up a trickshot world where I practiced jumping off clifs, doing 360’s, and hitting a far away tnt (with a flame bow).
    Although this might not seem particularialy usefull, it helped me a lot because I learned how to really quickly adjust my aim to the target

Posted Nov 22, 2018
    muted likes this.
  17. This aged well...

Much sad.

Posted Nov 22, 2018
    Crash likes this.
  18. Practice using the bow, that's all I can say.

Posted Nov 23, 2018
  19. I am not the best ranger but I have been playing champions enough to have some tips for you! :) The best one I could give you is map placements meaning being around a capture point that has access to a gem and a view on the middle is the best place you could be at! On gulley, you can be placed on the lava tower to have vision on the central cap or your team's gems! You can also practice your bowing skills by simply using the bow more frequently.

Posted Nov 24, 2018
  20. Not sure why this thread is still alive. Ranger is absolutely garbage right now because they nerfed the only good skill (longshot) into the ground. Its mobility potential is irrelevant because of how busted assassin is.

Posted Nov 29, 2018