• 949 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 3033 Players Online
  • 2084 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Processed Hot Threads [Feedback Needed!]

Discussion in 'Website Feedback' started by Marzie, Aug 7, 2019.

?

Add a Hot Threads section?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello, everyone!

I'm here looking for feedback on whether or not we should add back a "Hot Threads" section like we had on Enjin. For those that weren't here when we used Enjin, the Hot Threads section was exactly the same box, when it comes to looks, as "New Posts," but it was just for threads that had a certain amount of views/replies.

I'm not too sure on the idea myself because of how it would look on mobile/tablet and might clutter the right side of the page.

Posted Aug 7, 2019,
    Last edited Aug 8, 2019
    Animalll, BaconAnEggs, Danese and 6 others like this.
  2. I think the hot threads section should make a return. There are players who want to participate in feisty discussions and having a separate section just for those threads are a lot more convenient than going through every little section of the forums. This can also be useful for FMs/FNs as they notify them which threads are likely to have rules broken. There is a much higher possibility for the conversation to be heated if it is more active. My past experiences have proven so as hot threads would get locked to prevent further altercations before it gets out of hand.

+1

Report a User | Report a Bug | Apply For Java Trainee | Rules| My Profile

Posted Aug 7, 2019
  3. I’m on the fence, as long as regular most recent threads are still there visible on main page. if you only do Hot Threads then it may take away from other threads that could use more views, and may become a popular thread, but as mentioned it may be too much on the screen.

Posted Aug 7, 2019
  4. I would absolutely love to see a system like this implemented; on Enjin it was a great tool to prolong established discussions and it would be a wonderful addition to our vastly improved Xenforo proprietary site.

Thanks for sharing this idea with us Marzie, hope to see it implemented!

Posted Aug 7, 2019
    _Prof_ likes this.
  5. Yes, I agree with this because then it keeps those great discussions that are being discussed on threads from dying out even no one has posted on it in a while. Although you did make a goof point out about mobile but I think from a pro vs cons situation the pros out weight that one con and I would love to see this added to the new forums.

Posted Aug 8, 2019
    _Prof_ likes this.
  6. Hey!

Personally, I would really like for this to be implemented into the Mineplex forums. I remember when it was around on Enjin, it helped keep hot topics easy to access and more viewable for the community to comment on. I’d love to see this return, so it’s a +1 from me. :)

Posted Aug 8, 2019
    _Prof_ likes this.
  7. I agree with the hot threads feature! It's easier for us to find the threads that have most replies and viewers. We used to have that feature on our old Enjin site before. I don't see the problem of having to bring back the hot threads. I'm pretty sure that it's helpful to the forum users. Personally, I'll quickly scout some hot threads that interest to me a lot.

Overall, I couldn't wait to see the hot threads make a come back in the future! +1

Posted Aug 8, 2019
    _Prof_ likes this.
  8. I remember when enjin had this, it was so efficient cause you were able to find the quality threads instead of them being drowned out by other, less-quality threads. In my opinion this would also better help players’ ideas to be noticed faster if everyone or at least the majority of people agree on it. I would totally love to see this implemented again, definitely a +1 from me, great idea!

Posted Aug 8, 2019
  9. Keep in mind it's 2 separate boxes, so no threads should be overviewed or not viewed at all. I changed my wording in the OP thread to make this seem more clear.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Aug 8, 2019
    ImFirewalker likes this.
  10. I'd love to see the hot threads return! This made it so much easier to find threads that the community interacted with, and showed all of us what type of threads would get everyone involved in again. I also liked seeing them because I would be able to read a post that you could tell had time put into the creation of it. Seeing those threads rise up from their first creation to an entire community-wide place to share ideas is amazing, and adding this feature back would allow us to continue to do these like we have done before. +1

Posted Aug 8, 2019
  11. Hot Threads were a great thing on the old forums, and if they were moved over here it'd be great too. I don't see a reason not too, because there would be two separate boxes for New and Hot but also would provide an easy way to access what the community is talking about more. I'd like to this introduced again.

Posted Aug 8, 2019
    _Prof_ likes this.
  12. Seems fine to me. But I think we have to take into account what kind of criteria it would take to put a thread into the theoretical Hot Threads bar.

If it's number of replies, then Hot Threads would just be a continuation of New Posts with low quality question threads having the most replies. If threads that enter Hot Threads are manually chosen (which would be unlikely), then that introduces bias into the system. If it's simply the amount of time a thread is in the New Posts bar, then Hot Threads wouldn't necessarily be based on high quality or constructive usefulness, but it also wouldn't have the same issues as the aforementioned criteria.

So... maybe some sort of, like, ratio between time spent in New Posts and the amount of replies? Maybe I'm making this more complicated than need be.

Posted Aug 8, 2019
    SpitefulNick likes this.
  13. It was on the old forums so I don't see why it can't be here too.

Posted Aug 8, 2019
  14. The old website it was views AND replies it needed to be a hot thread, we would be doing the same thing as it worked on the old forums. Although, we will be excluding some sections.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Aug 8, 2019
    ClassN likes this.
  15. Definitely! I would love for this to come back. I remember back on enjin, it would always give me an incentive to write good detailed posts. I think that it would do the same for others, possibly improving the quality of the forums. Obviously there would be sections excluded from this (like the help section of course), as those types of sections don’t really have a need to be in a hot threads section. I suppose the hot threads would show the community what’s popular and what other players are talking about. It also shows you some threads that have taken a ton of time and effort to create. It’d be a great way to help in keeping the forums a bit more active as well!

I personally don’t know why this wasn’t a thing here already, and I’m also surprised. I didn’t even notice and it used to be something I’d strive for :-:

I think we should bring back the little fire symbol that was used right next to the thread on enjin as well. I always thought that was a cool feature c:

Posted Aug 8, 2019
    _Prof_ likes this.
  16. I'm in favour of adding a "Hot Ideas - Feedback needed" that would allow us to get more feedback on ideas that are being seriously considered. It reminds me of the "replies needed" list on the ideas team Trello board.

Posted Aug 11, 2019
    _Prof_ likes this.
  17. I wouldn't mind it I guess. To me though, it seems like it would just become a continuation of latest/new posts and get cluttered with off-top, surveys, and art stuff which all seem to get more attention than actual server-based discussion.

Posted Aug 11, 2019
  18. Hey!
    I think that this would be an amazing addition to the Mineplex forums. Back on Enjin I always rather liked that threads that were extremely popular were showcased. It allowed me to know what was relevant and gave some insight as to what my fellow community members really wanted to see. Overall, I would love to see this section brought back, +1 from me!

Posted Aug 11, 2019
  19. I wouldn't mind seeing Hot Threads make a return to the Forum. I don't see why not. It would make it easy to find the most popular posts to have discussions in.

Posted Aug 11, 2019
    _Prof_ likes this.
  20. We have decided to process this idea and accept it! Look forward to seeing a hot threads section in the future.

I'll lock this since it doesn't need more discussion. Message me if you'd like with questions or concerns.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Nov 6, 2019 at 10:07 PM
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.