• 954 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 8196 Players Online
  • 7242 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Not Planned Hear me out.. TikTok rank

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by PlatinumTerrapin, Apr 7, 2021 at 5:50 PM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So as of now, it's no secret that GoldenTerrapin and I have blown up in popularity due to the TikTok we made earlier this year. Nearly every time we hop on Mineplex, there's always somebody mentioning us as "the TikTok couple".

Because of this, Gold and I tossed around the idea of an in-game rank titled "TikTok". Of course, it's no YouTube rank, so I imagine the requirements for a TikTok rank would be a little different, but so far with 50k+ followers, a relatively clear punish history, and a Mineplex based TikTok account, I meet most of the requirements for a YouTube rank.

Although GoldenTerrapin's personal TikTok account doesn't meet most of the requirements, she has been with me every step of the way and without her, I wouldn't have gained the following I have today. Even though we have separate accounts, we do have joint content in the sense that our accounts are primarily based on each other.

Minecraft is still one of the most popular video games out there despite being released over a decade ago. In fact, the amount of active monthly users has continued to climb by tens of millions. There are still millions of brand new players wanting to play on servers. We just have to get to word out to them. That’s where TikTok comes in. TikTok has 689 million active users that is rapidly growing. With the TikTok rank you are basically becoming a free advertisement for Mineplex. Whenever there is a new game or event you can count on TikTok ranks to create short, compelling ads that are pretty much guaranteed to be seen by thousands on their FYP. GoldenTerrapin and I have always loved Mineplex and we personally see this as a great way to help increase player count by reaching out into the TikTok community.

Posted Apr 7, 2021 at 5:50 PM
    BREEZLET, Da_One, RiotRealm and 3 others like this.
  2. Hey,

Though I do agree with parts of your idea, I do not believe that adding a TikTok rank would be needed. Having a rank just based around one platform seems like it would not be utilised as much (I am aware of the YouTube ranks, YouTube is a bigger platform and therefore more understandable to be its own rank). I feel like, instead of TikTok rank, it should be Media or Creator or something along those lines. This is because it would allow future platforms to be under this rank, too.

In summary, for now i’m neutral.

Posted Apr 7, 2021 at 6:03 PM
  3. I think "Creator" as a rank is general enough, I'm not a massive fan of having 3 different content creator ranks like we currently have (Creator, Youtube and YT) and feel like this system is becoming more and more redundant, so I feel adding another rank isn't the greatest of ideas.

I feel like allowing TikTok creators to become content creators on Mineplex is a great move, but a new rank, I don't feel is needed.

Posted Apr 7, 2021 at 6:11 PM
  4. haha....

no.

Posted Apr 7, 2021 at 6:56 PM
  5. I don't agree with this. I can definitely see the potential behind it, as TikTok is such a huge platform, but in the long run I don't think it'll work out.

First off, there simply aren't enough content creators for Mineplex who are on Tiktok - and to add to that, Tiktok generally isn't used as a gaming platform since you can only create up to 1 minute clips (highlights are a different story, but highlights-only wouldn't really make for a good Mineplex channel). YouTube and Twitch are definitely more suitable for the content that Mineplex content creators would provide. Additionally, there really is not a need for another content creator rank - the amount we have is enough, and although Tiktok is a great area to bring in new players, there just aren't enough people willing to make videos for Mineplex, and the format for Tiktok generally isn't good for gaming videos anyway. While I can see the reasoning behind the idea, I just don't think it's feasible at this point in time.

Posted Apr 7, 2021 at 7:34 PM
  6. No one should be celebrated for using tik-tok

Posted Apr 7, 2021 at 7:38 PM
    Zyta, waterspout, Mothy and 6 others like this.
  7. If Mineplex makes a TikTok rank im quitting

Posted Apr 7, 2021 at 7:44 PM
    Mothy, BBoy2003 and StyxKiller03 like this.
  8. ya the owners should just pull the plug lol

Posted Apr 7, 2021 at 8:31 PM
  9. No thanks. Would be sad to see some innocent person getting harassed 24/7.

Posted Apr 7, 2021 at 11:57 PM
  10. if itktok rank is created i resign from stream rank no cap

Posted Apr 8, 2021 at 5:56 AM
    usnic, JFEnder, Kimchar and 4 others like this.
  11. While Tiktok is a large platform, It isn't based on gaming or Minecraft and so making this rank would seem pretty pointless. If people were to create videos on Minecraft, they would only be a minute long (if that) and it wouldn't be showing much content at all. There is already a rank for Twitch and Youtube, both which are relatively hard to obtain, and adding a separate one for a platform that is barely gaming based seems like it would cause more problems than solutions.

Posted Apr 8, 2021 at 7:04 AM
  12. Hey there PlatinumTerrapin! First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to make this thread and suggest this idea! After reading the feedback from many others above me, I have to agree to disagree in adding another content creator rank. I feel that my reason in disagreeing with this idea suggestion was best summed up by @xUmbreon & @outlloved in their responses above me.

While I do understand the general intention of this idea (Especially with TikTok being a huge platform), I feel that our content creator ranks already branch out enough. Those three ranks being - (YouTube, Stream and YT) - Additionally, I personally agree with the point that there probably wouldn’t be enough content creators coming forward to apply for the “TikTok” rank, as many of the Mineplex content creators aren’t on the TikTok platform. As said by others above me, Twitch/YouTube is more suitable for gaming content, whereas TikTok isn’t necessarily used primarily for gaming. As suggested by Umberon, the format of TikTok videos are quick and in my personal opinion, not really optimized for gaming content. I do however, think that there is a certain potential in attracting a number new players from TikTok, but again, I agree that I don’t think there’d be enough content creators who are willing to make videos on TikTok.

Albeit, I think allowing TikTokers, (who are currently willing to create advertisement videos for Mineplex), should be able to become content creators, but as Billy said previously in this thread, another rank is not needed. Thank you for the suggestion and I’m interested in what others may have to say!

Posted Apr 8, 2021 at 7:48 AM
  13. Hey Plat!!!

Love to see the idea getting some attention! In my opinion, it would be great to see the TikTok platform get some recognition on Mineplex as well as YouTube and other streaming platforms. Instead of creating a whole new rank for solely TikTok alone, it'd be more beneficial if we could create a new CC (content creator) rank that centered around multiple platforms. For example, a rank named "Media" would fit this and it can consist of the YT, Stream, and "TikTok" rank! This is honestly probably the best way to implement this idea, or best way I can think of.

Of course, we can always just simply add a CC rank for TikTok specifically, but having multiple separate ranks for content creators seems like too much. Anyways, again, there should definitely be some sort of recognition for TikTok as like what you said, TikTok is a huge and still growing platform currently so if that means we should have CC from TikTok or the Social Media team can start using Tiktok, whatever would be best for Mineplex in the long run. Thanks for the suggestion!

Posted Apr 8, 2021 at 11:24 AM
    PlatinumTerrapin and anna. like this.
  14. You can't get a rank from leeching off being an edater. If you can somehow create valuable content on YouTube or on Twitch, and put in the hard work to gain followers, then maybe Mineplex will consider giving you the YT or STREAM rank.

Posted Apr 8, 2021 at 12:14 PM
    SelectFire likes this.
  15. No one likes charli demilio. Lip syncing and doing insane tiktok trends is a terrible idea for a rank. I would go insane if it was added. T I K T O K R A N K

Posted Apr 8, 2021 at 12:56 PM
  16. Never in a million years have I seen an idea so crazy lol

Posted Apr 8, 2021 at 6:54 PM
  17. Including TikTok into our program has been something brought up with our CCC team on occasion, both as a stand-alone rank and a combination that could include other platforms. Ultimately though, it's always ended up being declined by the majority of the team. The benefits of adding TikTok are considered of course, but it's just not enough to offset the complications that could arise. There were some good points mentioned in previous responses which line up almost perfectly with our own reasons (specifically how the platform isn't geared towards gaming) so I'll try to avoid restating anything in detail.

One of the other reasons being due to the nature of the popularity for their creators. TikTok has instances where someone might get a lucky break and go viral with everyone watching their content for a week, but then get bored and move on. Sometimes the glamor wears off and nothing can ever compare to that clip you're seeing for the first time. In this sense, TikTok is fairly volatile compared to other platforms and it can create issues when decided if that person could get a TikTok rank, or if they'll fall flat in a month and won't meet the requirements anymore.

The opposite can be true too of course, where someone gets popular and is able to retain that view count indefinitely. So that's not to say it's impossible to stay consistent with TikTok, it's just more likely for someone to fizzle out compared to other platforms. With that in mind, our team would have to spend a lot more time reviewing the channel to come to a decision, and make sure that we wouldn't be removing ranks a few weeks after accepting people. It wouldn't be fair for anyone to accept 20 people the same week, then demote 15 of them later just because something like the bottle-flip trend died out.

Going a bit further into viewer count, TikTok seems more geared towards the shorter attention-span people have. It's safe to say anyone could spend a full hour watching highlight clips that only last a few seconds, but not as many people would watch an hour long YouTube video, even if it covered the very same content. So views on TikTok can become inflated by people clicking on shorter clips, compared to YouTube where people are less likely to click on that 20 minute gaming video if they don't intend, or have the time, to watch all of it. So the requirements for such a rank would probably end up being stupidly high to compensate for these factors.

On a final note, there's the supposed issue of data collection with China that also causes concern. Obviously we don't want to promote a rank tied to a platform with that kind of issue. Full disclosure though, this is not something that we as a team have looked into. I personally see no point in spending a lot of time researching, or having my team research this when there are already a number of reasons holding the rank back to begin with. (I don't use TikTok either, so even less reason for me to keep up with this.) Assuming we're serious about adding the rank, we'd naturally put a lot of research into the issue, but otherwise it's just another reason to reject the idea.

There are a lot of hurdles to deal with if TikTok would become an official rank, and some of these could actually be overlooked if it was only that one specific issue. Grouped together though, there are just too many that could end up causing more work/harm for us than what we could potentially benefit from. And unfortunately, since some of these issues are tied directly with the nature of the platform, they aren't likely to ever be fixed or worked around. This theoretically means it's impossible for us to ever add a TikTok option.

Posted Apr 9, 2021 at 10:23 PM
    AyyNick, Marzie and WowCaleb like this.
  18. I gave the idea to Guitar and the rest of our current CCC team, out of those who did respond we were iffy on it/didn't want it at all. Guitar has also mentioned all the reasons we had in our channel above.

We also threw around the idea of a "Creator" rank in our MCC (Mineplex Community Discord), where I also mentioned this to CCC. This rank would encompany small YT, maybe a small stream rank could be added, and a different platform that isn't YT/STREAM (like TikTok for example). CCC did like this idea for the most part it seemed, so if we ever added another platform we'd likely be doing this. Unfortunately though, since we do not have a 3rd platform at this time, this will not be happening.

Since CCC team has denied this idea, I'll be locking this as we do not need more discussion on it. This will also be given the Not Planned tag later on. Message me with questions or concerns.

Posted Apr 10, 2021 at 3:48 AM
    Skit, xWand and CookieBilly like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.