• 2890 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 11322 Players Online
  • 8432 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Hear me out: Duels

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by beeb, Jul 1, 2020.

?

yeah?

1. yeah

71.4%
  2. yeah

7.1%
  3. nah

21.4%
  1. what's he talkin' aboot?

I basically want to bring up the idea of picking up some form of duels similar to Hypixel. In particular I want to call out The Bridge, which is, in my opinion, the only fun game on that server. If you don't know about this game, then you can check out gameplay videos / play it for yourself (no pressure. am I advertising now??? Don't hammer me pleaseeee). I wouldn't often make a suggestion, especially not one for a new game but I think that using this game is actually an above-average candidate for a few reasons:

- It's actually fun to 1v1 people in ways that aren't just gladiators. I think that a lot of people have noticed that through fooling around on MPS.

- It's a really sweaty game. I think that this is a really attractive option for appealing to the veterans that are getting really burnt out over the years. Newbies got Nano Games, and I think that we desperately need to be thrown a bone.

- It requires two people to start. This is super important when Mineplex's queue times are already pretty rough. Basically, it's not a game that would take a large toll on the queue times elsewhere, and the queue times for the game itself would be THE shortest across the entire mineplex network.

in conclusion!!

I'm not expecting my post to lead to the dev team making a game curated to my needs. BUT a duel-based game of some kind would be really good for mineplex. It doesn't have to be The Bridge. I only use it as an example, because it's a 1v1-based game that isn't just "gladiators", and a very successful one at that. I think that 2 player queue has potential... But tell me I'm wrong! Comment now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for your time
    -beeb

Posted Jul 1, 2020,
    Last edited Jul 1, 2020
    Jocoe likes this.
  2. Yeah kinda agree tbh, some duels modes could be like cw's 1v1 which could just be full leather and wood sword with the option of choosing the kits for free so u could test them (lmao archer), warrior would be kinda useless tho. Another duels gamemode could be Bridges duels which again u get to pick the kits u wanna use, etc i think u get my point

Posted Jul 1, 2020
    Jocoe likes this.
  3. I agree I want champions 1v1s so I can duel my friend without structures in the way

Posted Jul 1, 2020
    Jocoe and Astai like this.
  4. Hey!

Very interesting idea that you have suggested here! I just wanted to point out my own ideas surrounding this. To me, the current game pool on Mineplex doesn't seem particularly fitting for this who sleuth of games. Regarding 1v1's, we already have Gladiators, but we all know that it's not the most popular thing ever, and struggling to fit more ways of duels into the server would seem kind of hard (whether it be splitting the player base or possibly not getting the attention that was desired).

Due to these concerns, I'd like to provide a substitute idea for this. What if these duel modes were implemented to the lobby, and instead of only having gladiators, you had the choice of various duel modes. Whether this is simply having different gear and abilities to reflect different modes or actually being separate areas for each mode, I feel as though this would resolve some of the community's concerns regarding waiting in lobby for a game to start.

Overall, good idea and thanks for sharing!
    Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.
    ~ Bobert / Erik

Posted Jul 1, 2020
    Jocoe likes this.
  5. Hiya thanks for making this post!
    Now, I do love Gladiators, and would love to see a diverse making of another 1v1 dueling. Glads is not as popular as it used to be, I don't see it happening when another sort of dueling would happen either. If this was implemented in the lobby, there is a possibility. If this was made into another game, then I don't see the hope for the game. I assume it just depends on what would be the duel?

The example you mentioned is a fun game sure, but would not suit itself on the network as it's own game to queue in. It's requirement is 2 players, very short. This would also mean once joined the lobby for the game you wait 10 seconds to choose a map and 10 seconds for it to start. The duel game would much benefit if it was implemented in the lobby.

Another thing, I rather see a different type of duel come back before they even start on this idea. Slimeball Soccer was a hero of lobby games in my opinion. I know so many players miss this game and it was very enjoyable! The game ranged from a normal 1v1 to up to a bizarre 5v5! It somehow was a competitive game for me and such a classic I miss very much.

I can't give this a rating but I would like to say good luck in the future with this
    <3

Posted Jul 1, 2020
    Jocoe likes this.
  6. I disagree wholeheartedly! Another reason that I choose The Bridge as an example is because it has a playtime that goes from 2-10 minutes, whereas a classic "1v1" would probably take less than one minute. The two player quota actually serves to make the queue time shorter than any other game on the network right now.

Lobby implements are pretty cute but not wholehearted in adding content that stands in its own right. Part of the appeal of this being a fully-fledged game is that XP and clout chasers have a new game to grind at a time when Mineplex is extremely easy to get burnt out on. If I could click a button to contend with a tryhard like me in an intense tug-of-war within 30 seconds, it would immediately be the new best way to grind XP.

Dueling games will consistently frustrate newbies and casual players, and the casual experience is where Mineplex's priorities are. Nano games has demonstrated to us that the veteran players who want new content to sweat on aren't going to get anything any time soon.

BUT I think that the addition of a new sweaty-exclusive game like this would actually make the network healthier. I don't enjoy pubstomping. I want to go all-out on someone who can take it. That's what makes dueling fun. If a game like this gets added then suddenly a lot of big dog players are going to migrate from stomping on mixed arcade and nano games and they're going to start grinding 1v1s to try to get on the leaderboards. And all of a sudden, there are less level 100s stomping casual players in games that are designed for them.

There are multiple niches on Mineplex! And that's fine! But I don't think that this is a fact that's being taken advantage of in the right way. If Mineplex wants to have a thriving community, they need to develop their minigames for ALL players.

BTW, thanks to everyone for checking this post out, and for being so positive about this idea! I honestly think that it has a lot of strength and I'm glad to see that I'm being heard on that.

With that said... Feel free to call me out! I want to find the conclusion that seems right, and I can't do that without all of your input <3

-beeb

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 1, 2020
    Laylq likes this.
  7. Hey!

Personally, I think the suggestion is pretty unique. I'd just like to tell you some of my opinions and thinkings about this because it started as a good idea. Duels are a fun type of gamemode which would probably be a good implementation on the server buuut maybe just not as you imagined. As it was mentioned up there, it just wouldn't fit within the other games that are held on the server. What the server offers for 1v1-ing currently are Gladiators which are found in the MIN-rotation and the Lobby Gladiators(maybe there's something else which I forgot, but these are the more popular ones).

I totally agree that these modes aren't the ones that will always bring us fun and joy because it's pretty much something that we can do anywhere. As was suggested, having 1v1s in modes like Champions, Skywars, The Bridges(The bridge) and other creative gameplays would definitely bring more fun to the overall game mode of 1v1 matches. As I said, adding those games to the type of games that earn you rewards and achievements wouldn't be as promising. For me, it should be added as a lobby game and that only.

Unique and nice idea, but it needs to be worked one and more defined.

>leon :)

Posted Jul 1, 2020
  8. Hi!

I know it's an opinion, but I really disagree on bridges being the only good game, considering I'm not the biggest fan of Internet and pc based games.

I can semi agree, but then again it's easy to find an empty lobby and 1v1 there. It would be more convenient so for now I'm going to give this suggestion a +0.5

Posted Jul 1, 2020
  9. Hey dude.
    So what I get from this thread is you want Mineplex to copy Hypixel by adding The Bridge. Now, I doubt Mineplex would do this, because they would be slandered for not being able to come up with their own games. On the other hand, I do think there needs to be more things to do in the lobby. More Duels do sound fun, along with Slimeball Soccer. However, I do think Mineplex should bring back Hoops (the basket ball game) and make it playable in the lobby.
    Overall, I give the idea of adding The Bridge a -1 and the idea of new Duels a +1.

Posted Jul 2, 2020 at 11:03 AM
  10. mineplexs knockback would make this a ping battle. not for it

Posted Jul 2, 2020 at 2:05 PM
  11. Yo!

In the past, I've also suggested this idea in the past and I'm glad it's being discussed within the community. Gladiators by far is really fun to 1v1 your friends and play around. However, it gets really repetitive with one type of 1v1 duel. By far, I'd love to see a Duel gamemode. I have a few ideas that could benefit your general idea.

Soup PVP:

In the current PVP community soup PVP is by far one of the best to play. It requires you to combo players as well as keep track of the soups in your hotbar. In my opinion, with a Mineplex twist, the soup should slowly heal you as it does within the Mineplex system. It would be really fun to tryhard as well as play against your friends.

Pot PVP:

Another pretty sweaty duel gamemode Pot PVP. Having the ability to PVP as well as regen using regeneration potions and using speed and fire resistances can be very fun and unique. Similar to Soup PVP you can get some insane hit combos which can cause the gameplay between the players to change. If one player is winning the fight the other player can really clutch and combo them back which gives both players a good chance at winning.

Build UHC PVP:

By far Build UHC is one of the most trending types of PVP out there regardless. Even though its been used for years now I still personally find it really fun to play. Depending on if you're playing alone or teaming with some friends there's a lot of skill and strategy along with this duel type. It's almost like Gladiators where it's fun as well as requires PVP skills.

Misc:

However, with the current PVP system on Mineplex, I feel like these gamemodes might be an issue. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see this implemented in the near future however Mineplex's knockback is basically correct me if I'm wrong "The stronger sword you have the more knockback that player takes" At the moment when you do fight someone the knockback you take is pretty minimal which prevents insane combos mid-air (you still can perform them however it can be a little harder).

In conclusion, a duels type of gamemode would benefit Mineplex significantly and I would love to see it added. If it were to be implemented and receives amazing feedback I'd love to see some duos and or 4v4 type of duels. It would be really fun to play with your friends against other teams. Additionally, adding leaderboards would also make the gamemode more motivational when it comes to grinding. Overall, this post gets a +1 from me!

Posted Jul 3, 2020 at 8:20 PM
  12. Hey!

I think this is a great idea for the Mineplex servers. I feel like Mineplex should add some sort of game that is competitive but something to do in your free time like bridges or duels. It would bring a lot of players. Although I don't know how they code games, but I am sure It would take a lot of time for the Mineplex Devs and could even lag the servers a little bit. tbh I feel like this is a great idea over all but that is my point of view +1

Posted Jul 3, 2020 at 8:39 PM
  13. For sure +1 First of all, bridges is the game where there is a tall bridge and you have to jump in a hole to score points right? If so, I think this is an AMAZING feature. I can’t play on that server because I’m mobile, so adding it to Mineplex would be great. #blockclutchgang :p

Posted Jul 3, 2020 at 11:27 PM