• 1635 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 1635 Players Online
  • 0 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Halloween Update (10/31/20)

Discussion in 'Update Changelogs' started by gyroninja, Oct 31, 2020.

1. [​IMG]
    Hey everyone. Today's update took a lot of planning and took a ton of work to pull off. We barely got it out in time for Halloween, but I think it will have been worth the wait. There may be a short changelog today, but this new game should provide some interesting content. The game is a literal experimental and is a limited time Halloween game.

General Changes:
    • Set the server network time to midnight
    • Added support for charged creepers
    • Added support for different sized slimes and magma cubes
    • Fixed slime / magma cube morphs not growing with your account level
    Hub:
    • Added a Halloween themed hub
    • Added a pumpkin hunt that awards 10 trick or treat bags upon completion
    Castle Defense:
    • Added Castle Defense 1.0

Posted Oct 31, 2020,
    Last edited Oct 31, 2020
  2. Castle Defense is a game where during the day you spend your time gathering resources to build a castle. Once night falls, monsters lay siege to your castle and will attempt to kill the human teams and their king. Once a human dies, they become a monster and may gain monster like abilities. The goal of the game is for the humans to survive until sunrise, or for the monsters to kill the king.

Castle Defense is a new game and it currently requires more play testing to find a good balance. I am looking forward to see suggestions on things and values that should be changed.
    Phase I: Preparation Phase
    In the preparation phase players have three main tasks that they can perform. Players can go mining, go building, or go do a kit specific task.

[​IMG]
    Mining
    Mining is the main way that players get resources. Players can go to the mine and mine emerald ore which can then be used at the shops around town to buy armor, weapons, blocks, and more. Stone bricks are the strongest blocks. Monsters will need to break blocks multiple times in order to wear them down to a state where the block will break.

[​IMG]
    Building
    Building serves 2 main purposes. It’s first use is to slow down mobs from getting to the king and its second second purpose is to allow players to create battlements to more effectively attack the incoming mobs. An important thing to do during the build phase is to place down torches due to the adverse effects of darkness in the defense phase.

[​IMG]
    Fletching
    The fletcher kit is able to fletch arrows. From the NPC on the left you will be able to by crafting material for crafting yourself some more arrows to use later. Feel free to share some of your arrows with others since bows only come with 32 arrows.

Enchanting
    The enchanter kit will let your support your team. The enchanter is able to purchase books from the center npc which can be enchanted to possible get a level 1, or level 2 book. Enchanted books can be applied to characters by just punching them with it. While you can enchant your teammates, they cannot enchant you.

Baking
    The baker kit is able to bake cakes which can be used to regenerate health. Unlike the medic from mob arena the baker will have to wait for his cake to finish baking before people can take a bite.

Phase II: Defense
    Once the sun sets the defense phase will begin. Now that the moon is rising things start to change. Monsters will now spawn around the map and an enderdragon will fly in to kill players. Another important thing to know as someone on the human team is that you should be afraid of the dark. The torches from the preparation phase will now come in handy. If you are in the dark and are not holding a torch you will gain blindness. People on the monsters team should utilize this knowledge when fighting humans. When humans die they join the mob team to help kill the king. Each time you die you will presented a random assortment of monsters that you can choose to use. If the menu does not show up, or you exit out of it you will become a zombie by default. Each monster has a "super" variety which gives it more gear and abilities.

Zombie
    Zombies get iron armor, iron sword, and a stone pickaxe. A basic loadout, but it will get the job done.

Super Zombie
    Just like a zombie, but with a diamond chestplate and diamond sword.

Skeleton
    Skeletons have chainmail armor, a bow with infinity on it, a wooden pickaxe, and a single arrow. If you want to attack players or the king from a distance. This is the kit for you.

Wither Skeleton
    Like a normal skeleton, but now with a power 1 bow and iron chestplate.

Creeper
    Creeper is a glass cannon. The creeper kit comes with no armor, but comes with a gunpowder which when clicked starts a timer to self destruct. The creeper also has a wooden pickaxe to help mine through blocks.

Charged Creeper
    Think creeper, but with a bigger explosion.

Spider
    The spider comes with chainmail armor, but with leather helmet and boots. The spider has a stone sword and a wooden pickaxe. While this kit may sound wimpy, spiders have the ability to scale walls. When using spider you now can walk up any wall and climb it. See a pesky wall that the humans have put up? Climb right over it.

Cave Spider
    Cave spiders have iron armor, but with chainmail helmet and boots. The stone sword has been upgraded to an iron one. Along with climbing, cave spiders also have the ability to poison people when they attack someone.

Slime
    The slime comes with leather armor, an iron sword, and a wooden pickaxe. As a slime you have two special abilities. Due to your squishy nature, you gain the ability to jump higher. Due to your gelatinous form, you gain the ability to split yourself off into smaller slimes, but at the cost of not being able to regenerate health.

Magma Cube
    With similar gear and abilities as the slime the magma cube gets a chainmail chestplate and a diamond sword. The magma cube can also jump higher than the slime.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Oct 31, 2020,
    Last edited Nov 1, 2020
  3. Meow

Posted Oct 31, 2020
    Im_Ken and Panda Pixel like this.

4. Looking forward to checking this update out on the bedrock server soon!
    Nice work!

Posted Oct 31, 2020
  5. This update looks really cool! Thanks gyro and geNAZt for all the hard work you have been putting in to the bedrock server.

Posted Oct 31, 2020
  6. Very nice update! The new game is extremely fun and entertaining, great work!

Posted Oct 31, 2020
    JDT2008 likes this.
  7. Love the new game. Keep up the great work!

Posted Oct 31, 2020
  8. Okay so they added a CS type game on Bedrock. That is just amazing. This is by far the best seasonal update Bedrock has ever got an I can't wait to try it out.

Posted Oct 31, 2020
    CookieBilly, Fallen and Fusafez like this.
  9. Great game pleasure to test with you!

Posted Oct 31, 2020
  10. Ooo interesting to see this added on Bedrock, can’t wait to play it :)

Posted Oct 31, 2020
  11. Can't wait to try Castle Defense out, it sounds like a really fun gamemode! Good job Gyro and geNAZt! :D

Posted Oct 31, 2020
  12. Exciting update! I can't wait to check it out. Fun that it came out on Halloween itself!

Posted Oct 31, 2020
    Fallen likes this.
  13. Super sweet update! I cannot wait to experience these for myself :)

Posted Oct 31, 2020
  14. Why is it when I stop playing Minecraft, Mineplex gets amazing updates smhh

Posted Oct 31, 2020
    • Fixed players incorrectly being set as spectators at the start of Castle Defense
    • Removed player levels from death messages
    • Increased the number of players killed in the dragon fight
    • Added message when being set on fire by dragon
    • Reduced the price of all items in the shops
    • Shortened the emerald ore regen time to 20 seconds
    • Increased length of day and night
    • Halved the king's health
    • Made creeper explosions do more damage to the king
    • Fixed cakes being able to placed anywhere
    • Added message when trying to enchant with a plain book
    • Removed old styling for super zombie description

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Nov 1, 2020
  15. Wow, very cool.

Posted Nov 1, 2020
  16. Awesome! Castle Defense seems very similar to an old Minecraft game called "Dwarves Vs Zombies" which was something I used to play as a kid. So for nostalgia reasons, it's nice to see Mineplex take their own spin on it. Might have to get a Bedrock account to try it myself. Thanks to everyone who was a part of the update!

Posted Nov 3, 2020
    Fallen likes this.
  17. That was a game on the previous server I worked for. This game is heavily inspired of it, but I made some design decisions to make it easier to learn and adapted it to be in a minigame format.
    The learning curve of dvz was very steep and practically required watching Rob's stream to learn what to do. Bedrock on the other hand does not have that many popular content creators in terms of servers, so most players will have no clue what Castle Defense when they first play it. Things like cutting down trees, bringing them to the saws, then bringing bowls to oil would be way too complicated for players to figure out. When you spawn in Castle Defense on the other hand I try and tell you what you should be doing by spawning you in front of a mine, with a pickaxe in hand, so you can mine emerald ore. The hardest parts to figure out in Castle Siege are the kit areas, but they are completely optional and usually only require a couple people on your team knowing how to use them. I wanted to stick to players having to do Vanilla like tasks for their kit. Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out anything vanilla like for the Baker which is why the game bakes the cake for you instead of in earlier revisions where you had to bake the cake in a furnace. I wanted to tap into player's existing knowledge of Minecraft and our other minigames to make learning this new game easy.
    For fitting it into a minigame format I just added a time limit to provide an upper bound. The map is also smaller than a typical dvz map to try and match with the game being shorter.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Nov 3, 2020
    Mohawk2, Paladise, zapig and 5 others like this.
  18. Am I the first one to say MEGA POG CHAMP?

Posted Nov 3, 2020
  19. For sure, I know that DvZ was pretty hard to learn and started to lose popularity once Mindcrack fell, as iirc it was put onto their fan server. I don't remember the full history of the game but I remember tuning into YouTubers I watched like Etho or PauseUnpause to learn about the game. Which, obviously could be an issue for learning a complicated game if there are no big streamers/YouTubers to attract players and explain the game.

Having read through your changelog I'm impressed with how you captured the feel of the original game without making it overly complicated for new players. I know DvZ had a few more "mob events" if you would call them that like a "Broodmother" spider that would turn the defenses of the dwarves into silverfish blocks, "Wolf pack" where each player on the mob team could choose to be a wolf with an extremely powerful leap. Plus I think both sides had heroes, which was one of the main things that got me into playing Clans. As each hero had custom armor, weapons, and abilities that utilized a texture pack although I'm not sure how that would work on Bedrock, as I've never played it. But I think adding these types of events might make the game too complicated and would push new players away, as Clans runs into the same issue when it comes to texture packs and custom weapons.

But yeah, this games looks extremely fun and I'll have to check it out sometime. Great job! :)

Posted Nov 5, 2020