• 23 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 23 Players Online
  • 0 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Go back to SKYWARS V2

Discussion in 'Skywars' started by ray, Dec 19, 2020.

1. ray

ray

Let's make a change and remove this terrible version of Skywars off the server and go back to the old version (v2). This new version completely changed the ways of Skywars; removing kits, making the game EXTREMELY REPETITIVE. We could all agree to go back to the old Skywars, where there were kits and friendly competitions between skills and fights. Also this update (v3) made the Skywars gamemode more dead since no one actually wants to play it -_-

In conclusion no shade but please change the current leader of the Skywars gamemode. He completely ruined Skywars in general, making it unenjoyable to play. Pace (rqil) was a much better leader, I miss that guy and the old Skywars... :(

Posted Dec 19, 2020,
    Last edited by a Moderator Dec 19, 2020
    Juljee, BannableName, rilau and 16 others like this.
  2. Heya!
    Skywars is a touchy subject since both versions have their downsides. I’ll start off with the “original” version of skywars with choosable kits. The biggest downside to this, was 2 of the kits were far outclassed by the other 2, which forced players to pick between one or the other, even if they didn’t like them. This is unfortunate because this version of skywars was fun, but if you didn’t play the meta kits your chances of winning were much slimmer. Now as for the new version, the luck factor has increased by a lot. If you don’t get Diamond armor, you’ve lost. If you don’t get good kit items, your chances of winning are mitigated. Personally for me it’s a +0, since both sides have downsides. I think the devs should get feedback from GI and make a major update on Skywars. So overall, +0

Posted Dec 20, 2020
    Aaron. and Minevaft like this.
  3. Hey!

I actually completely disagree. I'll admit when the update was first pushed out I was sceptical but over time I have grown to love and appreciate the update as I believe it changed skywars for the better. Could you please explain why removing kits made the gameplay more repetitive? I'm a touch confused as to what the correlation is there. Before the update, the kit you chose essentially decided your chance of winning, as some kits were more overpowered than others. Now, however, games are a lot more skill-based which I really appreciate. This update also made skywars a lot more friendly to newer players who maybe don't understand the meta and which kits are best to use. Finally, I've actually noticed an increase in players since the update was released so I don't understand your viewpoint there. Overall, it's a -1 from me.

Posted Dec 20, 2020
  4. Couple things -
    First of all, v2 was repetitive as well. Everyone pretty much used the air kit exclusively, save for a few exceptions on certain maps.

Going back on an update would be counterintuitive since a good amount of dev time and effort went into this update, and it wouldn't make sense to essentially nullify all the effort they put into coding this.

I'm not sure what you mean by changing the current "leader" of Skywars - if you're referring to the Classics section of GI, rqil was actually the leader when this update was put into effect, and he vocally supported its implementation.

Posted Dec 20, 2020
    SpitefulNick likes this.
  5. I swear I saw more people use Ice kit. I also used the Earth kit a lot. I think the really unused kit was fire, but these things could have been balanced. I don't understand why they completely removed everything and built a carbon copy Skywars mode of every pvp server in existence (with minor alterations).
    Over 10cps = win. There is little to no skill in that. Grasp butterfly or jitter clicking, which isn't too hard, and you can get even more than that. But see, I don't know about you, but I don't want to play Skywars that way. There is more skill in being able to use your kit more effectively in the old version than simple old pvp you can rinse and repeat over, and over, and over again.

I will analyse the Skill Ceilings

Old Skywars kit feature examples:
    - Cool things to do with your Ice Bridge:
    • Trap people
    • Make bases underneath the map (good in a 1v1v1)
    • Make bases quickly above the map (better than underground but less cooler for sure)
    - Cool things to do with your Throwable Dirt:
    • Deny any fool that uses ice bridges or air kit
    • Use it in close combat pvp against 10cps players because it's hilarious

You cannot tell me these things take no skill at all, and that the new version of Skywars in any way competes and has a higher skillcap. They do, and there is no high skill cap in new Skywars at all.

I don't know about you guys that are pro this update, but I have enough of this cps gameplay in games like Cake Wars. Skywars was always a game where players of all skillcaps could get a good chance at winning. It took some practice, but you definitely weren't bored doing it. You got to try out all these amazing kits when you first logged on and figure out different ways to use them. Now, it goes like this:

>"Oh cool, I have a pickaxe, I know this type of game. Let me mine my island for ores and stuff."
    >Couple minutes later: M A P C O R R U P T I O N
    >"Oh nO! I better leave now."
    >Builds bridge towards connecting island
    >In peripheral, notices some dude hammering a 1v3 with full enchanted diamond armour, bow, sword, and fire things
    >"I now realise that was completely useless!"

Not only did a key unique aspect to the game get completely thrown out, but, like I said, it was made into a carbon copy. And it didn't end up even being a good carbon copy. The kits are pretty much all useless, loot is insanely imbalanced and unoriginal (especially when you think about kits), and it simply became a game of who can click faster and get to mid first.

Let's talk about: Loot

When it comes to loot, I personally enjoyed the gradual gain of loot from your island (leather and stone stuff), to connecting islands (some gold, chain and iron, maybe some diamonds and an ender pearl if you're lucky) to the mid islands (more diamond, blocks, arrows, everything to give you an advantage but not make you so overpowered nobody can step within 20 feet of you).

Now, it is so strong for no reason that it practically doesn't make a difference anymore at the start and then there's just this moment where there are players still in iron gear about to go against the alpha with full enchanted diamond armour and sword.

Iron on your island, diamond on connecting, and about 3000 enchantments on mid.

There is also wayyy too many random pieces of loot nobody wants. The kit abilities in chests was terrible design. The game is not about them anymore. Barely anybody uses them. They can become buggy and weird and overall just worthless in a fight. There's so much armour and blocks and weapons and other random, confusing items in every chest. Why couldn't it just be simple like before?

While this is getting long, let me briefly discuss: Zombies

TNT Guardians in old version = I have seen some hate revolving these, but honestly I loved them. They brought a somewhat side quest into the game and meant the player(s) that rushed mid have to keep an eye out for their health and can't exactly loot every chest on the island in 5 seconds, but instead have to be weary. If you wanted to get what is a powerful weapon, you had to get through them first. It was simple and effective.

Player Guardians in this version = a feeble attempt at keeping originality except it ended up being worthless and just takes up space and makes the game more complicated when in fact they act just about braindead.

The lack of TNT Guardians in this version upsets me. Now, not only do you get gifted with every enchantment in the encyclopaedia of Minecraft upon setting foot into the island of the 50 chests, also known as the mid island, but there's also absolutely no threat to you while you're there (other than players, but if you're rushing in a passive game it's not a problem).

And finally, Map Crumble/Corruption

Map Crumble was so satisfying and fun to look at. Corruption just makes everything ugly. In theory, this makes sense, because it's corruption, but also, just why?

When the map was crumbling, you could see your enemies' weak attempts at outrunning the inevitable, plundering into their death after missing a jump or not being fast enough. I thought it was hilarious.

With corruption, it's simple, boring death. Not entertaining at all.

Also, to mention - why does it start off corrupted, comes to life, and then corrupts again. Logically, that makes no sense - a weird order of events.

Secondly, in terms of gameplay, it can be very frustrating. I don't know all of the Skywars maps live at the moment - and in some, the beginning darkness makes it near impossible to see where the chests are. Especially which shaders. I use shaders because they make my game look pretty, and blame me all you want but lighting glitches from shaders or darkness is fine if it's a small thing. But here it seems like players with shaders were not considered at all.

Even if you were going to ignore that entire Skywars x Shaders problem, think about how I explained that logically that doesn't make sense. Just let us see the map at the start, please.

Posted Dec 20, 2020,
    Last edited Dec 21, 2020
    VoidNnja, Aaron., shihanna and 3 others like this.
  6. Skywars v3 is better than v2.

Posted Dec 20, 2020
    Brvken, BasicT, iceskating and 3 others like this.
  7. v3 update is objectively more “updated” than previous versions. that being said, definitely agree that some item and gameplay changes should be made to resemble v2 more

sincerely, the best skywars player ever

Posted Dec 20, 2020
    ¡ liam ! likes this.
  8. ray

ray

LMFAOOO lets go back to v2

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Dec 20, 2020
    Minevaft and cernsie like this.
  9. can confirm this, cerns > all

Posted Dec 21, 2020
  10. Appreciate the very high effort response here, kudos to you. That being said, anyone who played v2 consistently can tell you that air was the most widely used kit by a long shot. It was consistently good on practically every map and the leap could be used to gain a mobility advantage over others in pvp. I agree with you though, it would've been better to balance these kits, rather than remove them altogether. Maybe something like Skywars v2.5 would be a better comprimise for this post?

Posted Dec 21, 2020
    maevestarbaby likes this.
  11. I played it consistently, I have thousands of games, I guess I just didn't pay attention enough :') I wasn't there when it got the huge update so all I know is from 2014-early 2018

I can see some Skywars v2.5 but I don't know how that would work. I despise everything in this update. It is terrible. I am all for balancing the kits but I don't know how the newest version would help with that.

Posted Dec 21, 2020
  12. v2 kb= garbage. v2 air kit meta= garbage. That's all I have to say.

Posted Dec 21, 2020
  13. i honestly do not like the current version of skywars.
    skywars v2 is much better but I really prefer v1, or whatever was before v2.
    It had a different feeling than this current version, although it was like any other SW, it was pretty fun.

Posted Dec 21, 2020,
    Last edited Jan 25, 2021
  14. wouldve been pretty simple to just give air kit feather falling 2 or something instead of no fall, and then add a very long cool down or remove the double jump

Posted Dec 21, 2020
    Anna. and maevestarbaby like this.
  15. ray

ray

this Skywars v3 update was honestly the worst update that mineplex ever had ngl...
    just go back to the old ways

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Dec 22, 2020
    Minevaft likes this.
  16. v3 killed skywars the better loot pool made everyone try hard and who wants to have to sweat a game where 90% of the community is cheating

kits made the game unique removing them was an awful idea one of the worst mineplex has had

v3 is fantastic display of mineplex’s ignorance towards the communities actual wants considering most of the community just wanted mid zombies gone and they decided to update (and subsequently ruin) the entire gamemode

anyways yep 100% agree v2 was better

Posted Dec 23, 2020
    breetzy, okNick, chungalunga and 2 others like this.
  17. Whoever gets to mid first wins . That is skywars now . I tried to play a game a few days before because everything else got boring . Some sweat ,i think his ign was makiz, got to mid in about 20 seconds and was already in full diamond with some enchanted pieces. At that point I knew that im never touching skywars again.

Posted Dec 23, 2020
    rilau, Fusafez, Makiz and 4 others like this.
  18. Lol skywars v2 was terrible

Posted Dec 23, 2020
    Gil-galad and SpitefulNick like this.
  19. As someone who used to almost exclusively play Sky Wars, I have to agree with you, at least to a certain extent. Back in 2016 and 2017, Sky Wars was pretty much the only game I played on Mineplex and I really liked how unique the kits were compared to other servers.

I thought that the kits were relatively well balanced to the point where I feel like you could win with any kit. My favorite was definitely air, as I'm sure it was for most people, but other kits, such as ice, were just as viable and offered different playstyles that made the game more replayable (at least for me). Obviously, I think some tweaks were necessary, but what we have now was not the right direction for the game. I've tried getting back into playing Sky Wars recently after coming back to Mineplex, but every game turns out the same; whoever gets to mid first pretty much wins 99% of the time and the game just becomes a competitive sweat-fest and it is fun for nobody.

I doubt we will ever see a reversion back to what we had a few years prior, but it is nice to have a discussion about this as there is always a chance they may take what we have to say and improve the game based on that. I think all that needs to be done is that we need to add back the old kits and make some balance changes, mostly to air kit, to make it so there is an equal, or as close to equal, chance of winning with any kit.

Posted Dec 23, 2020
  20. Dont listen to this kid, he doesn’t play skywars. No skywars wins. Never played skywars. Doesn’t know what skywars is. He’s even a stay at home mom. In the world of skywars, cerns is highly uninformed.

merry crimmas <3

Posted Dec 24, 2020
    cernsie and Orangey like this.