• 1561 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 9999 Players Online
  • 8438 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion Gladiators Lobby Map Rotation

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by CupAWup, Sep 10, 2019 at 7:39 PM.

1. I think maybe every earth season. maybe there should be a gladiators lobby map rotation every week for more themes basically. Of course, there should be a vote on what gladiators lobby map you want, and each vote makes it a tiny bit more likely to have that gladiators lobby map.

Sadly, this cant be added onto bedrock since theres no lobby gladiators there.

Posted Sep 10, 2019 at 7:39 PM,
    Last edited Sep 11, 2019 at 3:17 PM
    OrangeGamer18, Yato and Jocoe like this.
  2. that would be cool, but i play on bedrock and i dont think it would come out for bedrock

Posted Sep 10, 2019 at 7:44 PM
    CupAWup likes this.
  3. Heyo!

(edited) Now that I see you're addressing the gladiators maps, I would definitely love to see this implemented. One of the only issues I see with this being added is a lot of players being confused at first. It may be weird to see a new gladiators map everyday, and possibly just confuse oncoming players (at the start). Later down the road, I don't really see this being quite an issue, so thumbs up from me. The only thing I'm confused about is how the maps would be chosen, since in gladiators only 2 people could play at once (meaning a 50/50 map selection chance). Since ranks get a higher percentage as well, it just wouldn't make sense for only 2 people voting on it. Perhaps if you were to address what you mean by the voting system, this would be a good change in my eyes.

Overall, I don't see very many issues with this system, I just feel as though it needs some more elaboration. Hopefully you add this idea onto your thread, and hopefully I helped! Sorry about the confusion earlier as well.

Posted Sep 10, 2019 at 7:49 PM,
    Last edited Sep 10, 2019 at 7:59 PM
    Yato, Jocoe and CupAWup like this.
  4. yeah, i think i may shorten it to the lobby gladiators map since it would be cool for new themes. Im gonna change it.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 10, 2019 at 7:50 PM
    Jocoe and TooMuchXMas4You like this.
  5. Heyo!

I like this idea, and I agree that it would be nice to have a variety of Gladiator maps/arenas for the Hub game-mode. I enjoy playing this game a lot, and playing the same map over and over does get repetitive, so some new maps to refresh the look and feel of the Hub game sounds awesome from me. I am not too sure if voting would work well because there may not be time between the battles, so I think just a different map each week or month would be cool!

I am surprised I have never thought of having some different maps, and so I really appreciate you suggesting this. I don't see anything opposing this idea! Thanks again for suggesting!

Posted Sep 10, 2019 at 8:28 PM
    Yato, Jocoe and CupAWup like this.
  6. Hey there,

I actually really like this idea! I love playing Gladiators in the lobby, but I must admit that playing over and over on the current map gets stale. I think having weekly or monthly changes to the lobby Gladiators map would truly make the game feel more fresh and appealing.

Perhaps there could also be different terrain and obstacles to work around, like there is with actual Gladiators maps (GLD rather than lobby glads). This makes combat far more interesting, and adds a new challenge to the game.

I do agree with @AyyNick that voting might not work super well for this type of thing, but I certainly agree with having periodic changes to the lobby Gladiators maps.

Posted Sep 10, 2019 at 8:47 PM
    Jocoe and CupAWup like this.
  7. You can give credit to @TooMuchXMas4You since i originally thought of a lobby rotation.
    --- Post updated ---
    Also, I will just ping @AyyNick

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 10, 2019 at 8:51 PM
    Jocoe, TooMuchXMas4You and AyyNick like this.
  8. I think it'd be a great idea to have map rotations. I played gladiators at the lobby or in-game sometimes, except I'm not too good at PvP overall. Sometimes, the map keeps repeating itself and does it randomly. At the Java server, the players have the choice to vote for the next map. Bedrock doesn't have it, so I don't mind having the map rotation.

Posted Sep 11, 2019 at 8:50 AM
    Jocoe likes this.
  9. Hey,

I love the idea of rotating maps in the lobby-glads, but the thing that turns me off is that you don't get xp, gems, and shards from playing. I loved playing the mini-game GLD because of the map rotation and I gain from playing it. I am a big competitor when it comes down to pvp.

I personally would like to see Gladiators (mini-game) be in the arcade section so more people would be able to see and play Gladiators and earn from it. For me personally the Gladiators in the lobby is just practice; something I don't gain from playing. Though if Gladiators (mini-game) isn't going to be in the arcade section, then I would love to see the map rotation for the lobby Glads. This is definitely a +1 from me.

Posted Sep 11, 2019 at 9:57 AM
    CupAWup and Yato like this.
  10. I would like this to be added. I do feel the gladiators' map is kind of boring after a while. I know mineplex has built quite a few gladiators' maps so I would love to see if they could be adapted for the lobby.
    @Jocoe , there is an adapted version of gladiators in the Nanogames.

Overall I really like this idea so I'd give it a [​IMG]

Nice idea @Cupi Wupi / CupAWup !

have a good day,
    ~yato

Posted Sep 11, 2019 at 11:33 AM
    CupAWup and Jocoe like this.
  11. Oh, I thought this was for regular glads at first. I think having the theme for lobby glads change would be great, except I don't agree that it should be every week. The reason is that then the whole lobby would have to be updated weekly based on the theme. Perhaps seasonally? Maybe change it for fall/spring/summer/winter. The one it has currently kind of speaks Summer to me, so maybe change it to have more warm colors for fall and then again in a Halloween lobby update (if there is one). I think that would work out well - just weekly would take a lot of work with map voting and that. Perhaps it could even be made a contest where the community can submit their ideas and win prizes or something? That would be kind of cool.

Posted Sep 11, 2019 at 11:56 AM
    Glamourized, CupAWup, Jocoe and 2 others like this.
  12. I definitely agree with @Bunni . A new theme/map every week probably wouldn’t work out too well, and would cause unnecessary lobby updates. I also think that seasonal would work out really well too! Like Bunni, mentioned, there are different lobby themes for different holidays as well (Halloween and the Winter holidays). It would be cool to add a more spooky theme during Halloween and then a more of a winter wonderland type of theme during the winter holidays!

I totally think that playing the same map over and over again can get stale. So that’s a reason why this would be a great idea! With different themes every now and then, players can be more into lobby Gladiators and have more variety when playing. And yes a map based contest would be super cool! c:

Posted Sep 11, 2019 at 1:45 PM
    CupAWup and Jocoe like this.
  13. This quote sums up my opinions about this idea. Changing the map on just the GLD minigame would require the entire lobby to be updated/restarted whenever the map is changed. This means at whatever frequency you would want to change the map, each individual lobby would need to be restarted and updated. Because of that reason, daily is way too often, and even weekly or monthly doesn't seem worth it. I like the idea of seasonal changes.

Overall, I'm not too excited about this idea for other reasons as well. The lobby GLD minigame is just that, a minigame in the lobby. You gain nothing from it, and it doesn't require much attention. Therefore, I don't think it should be given a ton of attention by the build team as well. Other games that have map options also give rewards and are considered full mini-games, the GLD arena is just for fun and quick 1v1s

Additionally, the space is quite small in the arena, and there aren't really that many ways it could be changed and still be ideal for PvP. Sure you could change the colors every so often, but that shouldn't really make it that much more exciting or appealing to players, it's just a different color scheme.

That being said, if the build team is interested in this, it shouldn't take too long. It could probably be looped into other updates so it's not noticeable. I'm not strongly on one side or the other when it comes to this idea.

Posted Sep 11, 2019 at 3:21 PM
    CupAWup likes this.
  14. Yo.

I think the lobby glads arena is fine how it is. Sure, it may seem stale, but it's just something to play a match or two in while you wait for a game. If you want to play on different maps and have more competition, just play GLD in an MPS with friends or play some Mixed Arcade as well. I don't think that much time should be spent on lobby glads and more time spent on maps for actual games.

-1 from me

Posted Sep 11, 2019 at 10:17 PM
  15. I'm not sure if this will be practical to implement. A new map cycle for every week for something that is merely supposed to serve accessory purposes is, in my opinion, not the best method to allocate development and build time. However, I think spicing things up once in a while by changing the map of lobby gladiators every few months or so would be quite nice to see - seeing the same exact arena for a long time without any change can get quite dull. Overall, while a weekly rotation would require considerable amounts of efforts from the build and developer teams, changing the arena once every few months would be beneficial.

Posted Sep 11, 2019 at 11:28 PM
    Jocoe likes this.
  16. Hey!

I’m just going to start off with the fact that this is a really smart, good idea. The gladiator lobby in the hub is very boring, not really “decorative” so it would be cool to see the lobby have some changes to it. Having a different lobby for gladiators gives out a different feel for it, say if it is Halloween and they make it a spooky themed lobby, or Christmas and make it a snowy lobby. These would be really cool to see added. Though, there are some issues with this.

I agree with @Bunni and @24OO that it should not be every week for a new change in the gladiator lobby. Like they have stated, it would sort of be pointless updates to it every week. In my opinion, I would say every month or so, depending on what time of year it is and what events happen that month that would make sense to be in a gladiator lobby. I also agree with @Dulciloquy that the arena for gladiators is kind of small for these changes. If it is going to be just block changes, or maybe adding a few extra details, I guess that could potentially work but still. I also agree with @Jaekub that it doesn’t really need to be changed, though it would be cool to see. It is just an arena where you’ll have a quick fight with the opposing player and then it is over. Not really any point to add details to it. Also like he said, you can easily go to the Gladiators game in MPS and play different maps there. I’m also pretty sure that it is on NANO as a game. Overall, though this is a unique idea and would be cool to see added, there are some issues with this, though it could be fixed. Staying with what I just said, I give this a 0. Thanks for suggesting this!

Posted Sep 12, 2019 at 12:01 AM
    Bunni and Jocoe like this.