• 2890 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 8893 Players Online
  • 6003 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Implemented Give Warning Before Locking Threads Prematurely For Flame Wars

Discussion in 'Website Feedback' started by _Rivka_, Apr 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. There's this thread (https://xen.mineplex.com/threads/locking-threads-to-“prevent-flamewars”.36993/page-4#post-126447) and although there are some arguments over certain things, everyone agrees with one thing, the fact that a warning should be given out before locking a thread that is leading toward a flame war.

Here's some of the arguments that I made if you don't want to read the whole thing:
    If you're wondering why I bothered making this thread if their already is one, I noticed everyone unanimously liked the idea of the warning, and @Jakeub suggested I post this in a thread so an ideas team member can see it.

Posted Apr 19, 2019
    TheDiamondKittyGaming likes this.
  2. You've already seen that I support this. Warnings would be beneficial to have before locking a thread for flame wars. It can get frustrating for innocent players to have their thread locked because others are arguing. +1

Posted Apr 19, 2019
    ChrisPKStar, Acerna and ClassyOwl like this.
  3. That thread was so long I honestly didn’t read any of it. But anyway, I feel like it may help for a mod to warn “Don’t let this become a flame war!” If they reply and then check back later to see what happens. +1

Posted Apr 19, 2019
    Jaek likes this.
  4. Not to repeat what was already said, but I want to give my support on this idea. I have had many instances when I wanted to share my ideas but the thread was locked befor I could say something. +1

Posted Apr 19, 2019
    Jaek likes this.
  5. I was one of the contributors to that thread. Trust me, you don't want to read it. If you choose to do so, set aside 20 minutes.

Posted Apr 19, 2019
    Acerna likes this.
  6. So first off, I completely understand why this rule was implemented to begin with - primarily in 2015, the forums was a breathing ground for flame wars and sever-drama that insued because of them, which at that time caused an absolute headache for forum staff. Since the switch over to the new site, I have not really seen that many (if any at all) flamewars. Just because a forum staff may think the forum discussion will turn into a flame war in the future, does not necissarily mean it will. As a result, I can see this being an issue as otherwise important discussions are potentially being prematurely ended by this rule/protocol.

I really value @Zipppo's original insights on this topic:

I definitely agree that a warning should be given by a member of the forums team before any action is taken to lock the thread. By providing such a warning, I imagine the people involved in the discussion may be able to self-reflect on what they are saying and continue the discussion in a more civil manner. Additionally, if a warning is published by a member of the forums team, new members of the discussion may read it and discuss the topic knowing that a warning has already been provided. As Zipppo mentions, if the thread then continues to show characteristics of a flamewar then of course, the forum staff should then lock the thread.

The forums are meant to be a place that encourages debate and discussion and I definitely see how your idea may help promote civil discussions around "contraversial" topics rather than shying away from them.

Posted Apr 19, 2019
    Zipppo likes this.
  7. Yo,

Ideas Team wouldn't handle forum rules changes, or any rule changes for that matter that would be handled by the Forums Team Admin, Jarvis, or if it's non-forum related, Toki, just a heads up.

Posted Apr 19, 2019
  8. Lol but people get offended when people don’t agree with them and it sometimes gets uncivilized.

Posted Apr 19, 2019
    Acerna likes this.
  9. Which is where the warning will be given and if continued, the thread will be locked.

Posted Apr 19, 2019
    cerns likes this.
  10. I thought the ideas team would look into this because it's an idea from the community but I guess I'm wrong. I have much to learn indeed.

Posted Apr 19, 2019
    Acerna likes this.
  11. I agree, some of my threads get locked, but I dont see how its a flame war, so they should give proof WHY its turning into a flame war.

Posted Apr 20, 2019
  12. While there isn't a formal warning to all participants in the thread prior to a thread lock, warnings are usually issued to individual posters for their own rule violations when a flame war breaks out. Most people should be able to tell that a thread is getting heated. Would people actually pay attention to a thread-wide warning prior to a lock?

Posted Apr 30, 2019
  13. We aren’t talking about when a flamewar happens, it’s about the prediction of when a flamewar will happen, so warning point would not be issued.

I mean, yeah? If people don’t want to be warned because of a flamewar, yeah they would pay attention to the verbal warning. If people don’t listen and start flaming (which rarely happens anyways), that’s on them and shouldn’t decide whether warnings should be made or not.

Posted May 1, 2019
  14. Yes, they would. If not, then forum staff have a justifiable reason to lock threads.

+1 to this idea, though.

Posted May 1, 2019
    _Rivka_ likes this.
  15. It's not always clear if a thread is getting heated, and most of the time staff dish out warnings and lock the thread straightaway, without giving time for players to realize the thread might be locked.

Even if the staff member does give time, it's not entirely obvious where the line between flaming and a healthy debate is. The thread lock warning would be helpful, and it takes pretty much no effort.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted May 1, 2019
  16. I agree with this, and I think that to promote a healthy discussion sometimes you have to let it "spread out" in a sense, which could lead down a flame war path.

However, it doesn't always, and that's why I'd support this as a lot of useful discussion could be lost to a premature lock.

I can sympathize with the forum team that decides to lock threads that are identified to being prone to being a flamewar eventually. They have experience and can understand that somethings can be turned into flamewars. However, fundamentally I'd wish for some extra time before a lock ensues.

+1

Posted May 1, 2019
  17. Hello,

I cannot describe how much I like this idea.

Threads are unfairly locked because users, and not always the OP, get into arguments that warrant a thread lock while the OP might've worked their butt off making that thread. It's really unfair to everyone who spent time replying/making the thread and needs to be changed. I think warning the users who are engaging in the flame war is an easy way to fix this. If they continue in their actions, then a moderator could easily warn them again until they get forum banned. That way, the discussion can go on normally without a user needing to make a new thread about it. On the other hand, if the OP is the user who is engaging in the flame war, then I have no problem with giving the users a one-time warning before locking the thread because the OP should care enough not to get into fights.

Furthermore, you can kind of relate this to weird rules YouTube has in place currently. Even if a video is completely normal if users in ***ual comments, then the video can get punished. It seems silly because it's not the video-maker's fault. Instead, it's the comment sections that people can easily use to sabotage the video creator in this scenario. The same happens on threads here at Mineplex in a sense. An OP can have a perfectly normal thread but the comments to that thread determine its feature.

Thanks
    Wiz

Posted May 11, 2019
    _Rivka_ likes this.
  18. Posted Jul 16, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.