• 1125 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 9563 Players Online
  • 8438 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Give the removed death tag maps a second chance

Discussion in 'Death Tag' started by x3bood, Aug 24, 2019.

?

Give the maps a second chance?

1. Yes.

2. No.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. I believe most of the removed maps had some potential, and many players seem to agree with me,
    They might need a bit of tweaking, but i think it wouldn't hurt to try and put them back on the server and see the players' reactions to them.

Waste land: the most recently lost map, it was a perfectly fine map until the Game insights team thought it was too big, so a big portion of the map was blocked off. it really deserves to be put back in the game, with that portion of the map opened up again like it was from the beginning.

Enclosed library: Another great map removed, the reason may have been the size of the map, some thought it was small, but I (and many others) think it was fine, and should be brought back, the only negative thing i can think of is the anvils in the middle of the map, which is not a big deal, so it deserves a chance.

The 2 other maps (Mayan ruins and Shiro) I'm not sure about, I don't remember Mayan ruins being particularly bad, so i'd like to see it again.
    and lastly Shiro, i don't think this one should be brought back, unless it gets remade or a big portion gets blocked off, because that's the reason it got removed, the size was too big for a death tag map.

Posted Aug 24, 2019
    Vaati likes this.
  2. If maps were removed there is a reason. I made a map recently and it got rejected because there were a few things that needed to be fixed. I'm sure if they were removed because of small errors that needed to be changed, the map creators would get the chance to make edits and re-submit.

Posted Aug 24, 2019
    x3bood, MCCharity and OakStairs like this.
  3. Hello! I want to give you a link to the official Mineplex Map Database here. An explanation of what this information is can be found on this thread made by Dutty, the current Build Lead. You can see on the spreadsheet on the "Removed Map Databse" tab that all three maps you mentioned ("Waste Land", "Enclosed Library" and "Mayan Ruins") were removed for the reason "Poor Gameplay". This is likely due to decisions made by either the build team or the Game Insights community discord and official Game Insights players. Learn more about Game Insights here.

You briefly mentioned reasons you thought the map might have been removed and fixes to them, but unfortunately without knowing exactly what "poor gameplay" meant to each individual map, there aren't fixes we can propose. There are 13 active maps for Death Tag and only 3-4 removed, so I think there is plenty of variety currently available.

I do understand the nostalgia, but it is likely a better use of builder time to create new maps for this gamemode.

Posted Aug 24, 2019
    x3bood and MCCharity like this.
  4. To be honest, I didn't think there was even a fanbase for death tag to begin with.

I mean, I'm glad there is -- I just didn't know it existed

Posted Aug 24, 2019
  5. There is a fanbase for pretty much every game, or at least there used to be.

Posted Aug 25, 2019

6. I understand, I know 3 of the 4 maps had the reason "poor gameplay" for removal, but I'm sure that's not really the case for one of them, Waste land was a perfectly fine map, it only had poor gameplay after they made the decision to minimize the map (even though the size of it was fine), so I don't see any other reason it shouldn't be brought back as it was from the beginning (with map exploits fixed, there's already a version of it fixed).

This map was removed recently, and I don't think it was for a good reason. so the build team should consider bringing it back.

Sorry if this sounds unreasonable, I don't want to sound ungrateful for the other maps the build team puts out, i love those, but I also liked waste land.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Aug 25, 2019
    Vaati likes this.
  7. Something that didn't make a lot of sense to me was Shiro vs Wasteland vs Mansion. (I've only seen Mansion maybe two or three times so pardon me if I'm wrong here.)

Just from a glance, I'd say it's safe to assume they're the largest maps in the game, removed or not. However, Shiro kicked the bucket rather quickly, Wasteland stuck around for quite a while by comparison, and Mansion we still have. I'm assuming that it has to do with the amount of detail with the map, along with the flatness. From what I remember, Shiro was completely flat except for some areas around the edges I believe. I'm only referring to ground level for this, while also ignoring anything less than a five block height difference. Wasteland had a lot more elevation changes so I think that's why it lasted longer, but it had some unfair camping spots so that might contribute to why it got scratched recently. Mansion looks like the best of the three, lots of elevation changes and some great detail for both gameplay and visual appeal so I'm guessing it'll last much longer.

Mayan Ruins always seemed a bit off to me when compared to the other maps. Might be due to the severe elevation change (practically half the map) in such a small area. So map flatness could play a part in removal reasons, but having it too extreme could be a cause as well. Just a thought.

With Enclosed Library, I've mentioned that the outside of the library was meant to be used. I've also got a copy of the map and I run around once in a great while since it was my favorite. Looking back on my previous statements there's something worth correcting. While it would be better to open up the outside to give runners more room, it wouldn't make it a lot better. The more I searched around the more I realized that getting in/out of the library isn't exactly easy. Just small openings in the ground or the upper window which aren't very wide. It's very easy to get caught or ambushed.
    Maybe having two or the doors opened, or perhaps collapsing a wall (since it looks old and worn down) would be a good addition.

As Dulciloquy mentioned above, we can't fix the issues since we don't know exactly what the reasons for 'poor gameplay' are. Taking some educated guesses can help but it isn't a guarantee to catch every problem. In my opinion, it might be best to rebuild the maps from scratch (using the originals as templates but change things up while keeping key areas or features relatively the same) instead of taking the current build and trying to edit a few things. I don't know who would have downloads of those maps outside of the build team, other than henrikberg. I remember he had all the downloads but not sure if there's a way to contact him.
    Well, maybe you wouldn't need the originals as a guide if you remember it well enough. Some of the maps just need to be rebuilt from the ground up, since the ground itself was probably an issue. All things considered though, these are all just my opinions on the matter.

Posted Aug 25, 2019
    Vaati and x3bood like this.
  8. I'd love to at least see Wasteland again (and with the blocked part open again), that map was great.
    Mayan Ruins was great too, although a lot may disagree with me.
    Enclosed Library was okay, it was just too small.
    And Shiro was way too big: It's literally an Archer's dream come true.

Posted Sep 1, 2019
    x3bood likes this.