• 1138 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 7206 Players Online
  • 6068 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Not Planned Give 2 points to second guess on Draw My Thing

Discussion in 'Game Alterations' started by PhoenixSky, Dec 9, 2019.

?

Should it be changed

1. Yes

88.9%
  2. No

11.1%
  1. At the moment first guess gets 3 points and then every guess after that gets 1 point. I think that it should be changed so that second guess gets 2 points instead of 1.

Posted Dec 9, 2019
  2. As an avid player of Draw My Thing, I do like this idea. However, maybe a player should receive their full 2 points for guessing second only before a certain amount of time until the next player's turn to draw. For example, if the word is guessed a second time before 30 seconds is remaining to draw, the player receives 2 points. If the timer has less than 30 seconds remaining, the player only receives 1 point. Although I do like the current system set in place, this isn't a bad idea. I think that it would give a more competitive edge to the game, especially when 2 players are fighting for that first place.

I would also like to see the drawer receive more points if their drawing is guessed in the first 10 seconds or so by multiple people. I say this because when you're the last person to draw and you're neck & neck with another player, they can guess your word and receive 3 points while the maximum amount you can receive is 2. Then, since you're the last person drawing you automatically lose. I think that this would decrease the amount of people not drawing anything for their last drawing turn while they are tied or slightly in the lead so that they can just win. I'd suggest upping the maximum amount whilst drawing to 3 points to even it out a bit more.

+1.

Posted Dec 9, 2019
    clashvalley likes this.
  3. Not much for me to say... @fredericksburg pretty much covered it so +1

Posted Dec 9, 2019
    LT Tombstone 77 likes this.
  4. Hello there
    As one who's played this game a limited amount of times, I'm not against it. I think it's fair that the second placer recieves 2 points but as mentioned, there would be a timer (I think the timer should be closer to 15 seconds). This would give everyone a better chance at catching up in the event of someone getting a lucky lead.
    +1, I'd like to see this
    -fox

Posted Dec 9, 2019
    clashvalley likes this.
  5. Thread Moved to Game Alterations

I really like this idea. Currently in DMT, after first place, it does not matter if you are 0.1 seconds after them are 0.1 seconds before the time ends because you will still get the single point no matter what. In my eyes, that really is not fair at all since they did not do the same amount of work since the person who guessed with more time left obviously did more work.

I'm not too sure about this idea. While, yes, it would seem fair that the soon the drawing is guessed the more points the drawer would receive, I do not think that this would end out that well. I would see a lot of chat trolling in the form of going "the word is cas...tle" on two different lines. Most players would simply just type in the word and not think twice of it, but the drawer is getting extra points for doing almost no work. Yes, it is punishable, but I think that the amount of instances would increase by a lot.
    This, however, I do agree with. It does not see all too fair it the person who guesses right before the drawer is almost done gets the same amount of points as the player who was right after the first guesser, as that goes against what I said above. For that, I think that adding in this small timer to this idea would make it a lot better since it would make sure that it is fair across all players.

Posted Dec 9, 2019
    clashvalley and chhase like this.

6. Thank you for pointing this out. After reading your response about my first quote, I've decided against it. I did not think about that aspect of gameplay trolling until you said something. Too many times have games been ruined by people teaming and/or revealing the word to each other and this would probably just lead to even more of that, as you said.

Posted Dec 9, 2019
    clashvalley likes this.
  7. To be honest, I really like the underlying concept of both of these ideas a lot. As jxcb pointed out, even if you’re 2nd to guess by a fraction of a second, you still only get the single point even though the time you took to guess the word is still just as impressive. I like the 15 second limit proposed by Firefox, that’s a fair amount of time to guess a word second and still deserve some form of extra credit, though personally I’d even reduce it to 10 seconds, since in the midst of a game that feels like a lot longer.

I also like the idea of this being carried over to the drawer, where if a second person guesses the word within 10 seconds of the first one, the drawer receives the third point for a maximum of 3. This would stop the rather annoying outcome of someone winning because you happen to be drawing in the last round, making it impossible to get a draw or get ahead in the final point of the game.

On the other hand, the argument that they still had to play either just as good or slightly better than you on average for the rest of the game to get things into that scenario anyway is still a valid one. Also, the order of drawers doesn’t technically matter in the long run, since by the end of the game, everyone’s drawn twice so everyone’s had the same chance to take advantage of the points system in this way. Nonetheless, I still think the idea of the drawer being able to get 3 points instead of 2 is fairer than the current system. Since, yknow, drawing is literally the name of the game. ;P

~ Nimbus

Posted Dec 10, 2019
    Fall and Jaek like this.
  8. Strategically, might it make sense to not draw anything if you had a word that wasn't easily guess-able?

Posted Dec 10, 2019
  9. This is very true for both the current system and the proposed one, where the drawer can force a win or draw for themself by just not drawing if they’re one point ahead or tied, respectively.

It’s been a long-standing suggestion to have the AFK timer so it’s only stopped by the pencil touching the board for the drawer. Something like that would probably be the best way to fully stop people getting the win by not drawing.

Posted Dec 10, 2019
  10. I would personally say that that is a very good feature all tho it will indeed be weaponized by people who team if you get what i'm trying to say so the idea of the second person getting 2 points sounds tempting i wouldn't suggest it

Posted Dec 10, 2019
    Johnny Welamton likes this.
  11. Heyo!

As a fairly active Draw My Thing player, I have never really minded the change from 3 points for the first guess to 1 point for all the others, but I'm not against this idea either!

If the first player guesses lets say 10 seconds into the drawing, and the next person guesses 11 seconds, at that point it's really just the typing speed that made the difference so I do agree that it doesn't feel too fair if the second guesser got 2 points less because of that.

However, I do agree that there needs to be a limit for this to be an available option (getting the +2 instead of +1). Perhaps we could do something where if you guess the word within 10 seconds (or maybe 15 seconds) of the first guess, then you are awarded 2 points, but otherwise it's still the regular +1.

Overall, I don't see any downsides to this idea if the time limit for it is implemented (otherwise players could reveal the word to each other and cheat the system), so I'll be giving this a +1! Or should I say +2 ;)... (Sorry)

Have a good day :)

Posted Dec 11, 2019
  12. This idea has been discussed in the GI discord and unfortunately, we have come to the agreement that it would not be a good idea to make this change.

This is because the first person getting 3 points and everyone else getting 1 point creates the sense of competition in the game. It emphasizes the need to get the word before everyone else and so giving second place a consolation point doesn't make much sense. We understand the sentiment that if two people guessed the word within a second of each other it does feel unfair for one of them to get 2 points less than the other, but at the end of the day, the game is about working out the word and then quickly and accurately typing it out. It doesn't make much sense to give someone more points for doing that slower than someone else.

It makes even less sense when you consider that 1st and 2nd place could have guessed the words 30 seconds apart. With that sort of time difference between their guesses, it's unreasonable to award 2nd place with an extra point, since they were considerably slower than 1st place. While there could be some justification for awarding 2 points to 2nd place if they guessed it within a few seconds, that quickly disappears as the gap between their successful guesses increases. Since it would be difficult to come to an agreement of what should count as 2 points, and the fact that any cut-off point we choose would be entirely arbitrary and have no real translation to skill or relative knowledge, it would be really awkward to implement this only for guesses that happen directly after one another and not for guesses that happen 30 seconds apart.

This change would also make it difficult to deal with teamers who are sharing their words with each other, as it would make the gap in points between them and everyone else much larger meaning there is less chance for an experienced player to catch up and win through better game knowledge. Since teaming is the largest issue plaguing DMT and would be almost impossible to prevent entirely, it would be detrimental to make a change such as this that would make teaming more successful of a strategy.

We also discussed this idea and the consensus is that it would not be a good idea either, for the following reasons:

• As a guesser, you are in direct competition with other guessers and so getting 3 points for guessing the word first makes sense. As a drawer, there is no competition so it doesn't make much sense for you to get 3 points.
    • You're not putting as much effort in as a drawer than you are as a guesser, and you already get 2 guesses worth of points for your word being guessed, so any more points would be unnecessary and underserved.

Not Planned - Denied by GI

Posted Jul 24, 2020