• 340 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 2424 Players Online
  • 2084 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Not Planned Getting XP from chat

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by Frqstbite, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Heyo This is a little idea I thought about and was wondering if you think it could be implemented. I think we should get XP from typing in chat, weather in-game or in a lobby.

There are lots of people who like to chill in the lobby and talk to other players. I'm sure the staff will agree with this considering they spend a fair amount of time in the lobbys. Interacting with the community I feel should get you XP, it does not have to be a big amount maybe only about +20 XP or something around there.

I personally spend more time in the lobbys talking to fellow players and that is mainly the reason I have a lot of playtime but am a somewhat low level.

Just a thought/idea let me know what you think!

Posted Nov 21, 2019
  2. I'm kinda neutral on this idea. There would definitely be more people chatting, however, it could easily be abused by spammers. Those are my thoughts on the idea!
    +0
    Love to used what other people think!

SpyNinja__

Posted Nov 21, 2019
  3. This is very true, maybe there could be some kind of cool down after sending too many messages too fast.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Nov 21, 2019
  4. That might work.

Posted Nov 21, 2019
  5. I disagree, if you are chilling in the lobby then you aren't actually playing the game and getting more literal experience. EXP is generally an indicator of how much you play/know the game and server, and if you are just sitting in the lobby, you aren't really gaining that knowledge.

Posted Nov 21, 2019
    Im_Ken, RealWand, Fall and 2 others like this.
  6. I understand where you are coming from, however, you are interacting with the community growing you acknowledge for Mineplex. I would also still consider talking with the community experience because you are there with fellow players and experience doesn't necessarily have to come from just games.

OP OP
  7. I'm going to have to disagree with the idea, there are multiple issues that could arise and even when disregarding those issues the idea would still not work out as you may think it does. I understand where you're coming from and why you're suggesting the idea but you have to keep in mind that XP is meant to come from game activity and the current leveling up of XP is pretty good, we don't really need any additional ways to gain XP. In regards to the multiple issues, you may have increased spam as a consequence, players can go into an empty lobby; an empty game or an empty MPS and simply just spam without any player reporting them or a staff member catching them. Although there are ways to combat these issues such as making it so that the lobby/game needs at least 10 players for people to get XP from chat but there would still be some side-effects. I'm curious as to if you agree with the issues at hand or if you possibly have a rebuttal to the issues.

Posted Nov 21, 2019
  8. That's the thing. Experience is used to represent your knowledge or at least your playtime of a game. Talking with people in the lobby isn't going to increase your own personal skill or for the most part knowledge of the game. You're not playing the game, so why should you get one of the cosmetic rewards for doing so?

Posted Nov 21, 2019
    Im_Ken and Korben2005 like this.
  9. I want to type in chat to get XP. I want to type so much in chat that then the game can't add new lines or stop the typing! So we have to change our all-caps chat message to what it's supposed to be, which is "Hi" or "Silly," and it can only happen in non-epic "chat" mode. Like, for example, when I say "Hi" to Mr. Woodfill. You can't say that with epic chat or without emotes

Posted Nov 21, 2019
    Cabob and matrixyst like this.
  10. Simply because you are interacting with the community, take staff members, for example, I would consider them talking to players in the lobby answering questions, etc. experience.

OP OP
  11. Interacting with the community is not raising your game experience though. That's kinda the point of exp. Staff talking to players is experience towards being a staff member, but not as a player of the game.

Posted Nov 21, 2019
  12. Or you could gain XP from playing the fun games that mineplex has??? I also agree with the people above, this could be abused way too easily.

People are already mad about the area 51 game and how that boosted people's xp. Imagine what they would do if they found out that people could gain levels from typing now.

Posted Nov 21, 2019
    Im_Ken likes this.
  13. Thread Moved to General idea Discussion

I do not see this idea working well on the server. First of all, spamming will be rampant everywhere, even with a chat cooldown. Players will inevitably attempt to post as many messages as possible and busy lobbies would result in a chat that would be hard to keep up with. Additionally, as others stated, experience is gained by playing games and gaining more as one performs better. Simply sending as many messages as one can is not representative of one's activity and performance in games.

I would also like to add that there are enough ways to gain XP already. Combined with the negative consequences that may result from adding this feature, having another method to get experience would both ruin the integrity of the level 100s' hard work. Overall, I agree with the statements above and a way to raise experience by chatting would have negatives that would be unreasonable to implement.

Posted Nov 21, 2019
  14. I may get called out for being biased here, but as other people have said, this could be abused far too easily. Exp has always been gained solely through playing games, and introducing a way to obtain it like this would completely ruin the exp economy, per say (*angry A51 noises*), since it would be farrrrr too easy to get exp.

Doing some math, if your original proposal for 20 exp per chat message were to be incorporated into the server, that would become one of the most powerful ways of getting exp in the server's history. Assuming 1 chat message can be sent per second, this would yield 72,000 exp per hour. The only game that has ever surpassed this hourly yield for the average player was A51, but for the sake of this post, I'm not going to act like this was ever a game. The only time someone was able to get that hourly exp legit was when a player named DraZZeLxCaMZZ played an old, removed game called Type Wars (which in its own right was a very, very powerful game for exp) during double exp in the winter of 2015, and he was able to get an average of around 80,000 exp per hour. Very few people have come close to this record since (again, not counting A51). The most I have ever gotten in 1 hour was 65,000 back during double exp and Skywars, and even that is extremely hard to achieve. Basically, a predictable 72,000+ exp yield per hour for something as simple as sending a chat message is beyond overpowered.

You also brought up that potentially lowering the amount of exp you get per chat message as well as a cooldown on when you'd get the exp reward, but even this would be unbelievably unfair for the players who dedicated hours and hours of their time to achieve a high level on Mineplex. Regardless of how low the reward would be, the fact that players would still be receiving it for doing such a simple thing as typing in chat would make it unfair regardless. Also considering the fact that it's simply sending a message in chat, players would easily be able to create a bot or a macro of some sorts and abuse it, and that would just be unbalanced on a level I'm sure nobody who's ever grinded for exp would ever want to see get added.

Posted Nov 21, 2019,
    Last edited Nov 21, 2019
  15. I disagree with this idea. Typing in chat is way easier than winning a game. You could just chill in a lobby leveling up every like 5 minutes and that would make leveling up less motivated. Think of it. You win I’d say 600-1000 exp for winning a game of champions and you’d get about 200000 per hour or even half an hour. Overall this would take away the value of leveling so I’ll be giving this idea a -1

Have a nice day!

Posted Nov 21, 2019
  16. I totally am on the same boat as @rqil on this issue: It would too easily be abused. People already get a lot of XP from playing Area 51, but at least that was a game. Your level is a number that shows how dedicated and good you are at the games, not how often you can type in party chat. This is my main argument, that it really does not do much for the leveling aspect, but I also do see some other issues with this.

People would just get on an alt, afk, and spam messages in their party on their main account in order to be able to level up as fast as possible. I see a large rise in people using unapproved macros in order to be able to gain as much XP as they can in the shortest amount of time possible while also doing the least amount of work. This would make a it a lot of work for our Rules Committee team to deal with (since they deal with stat boosting). Even lowering the rewards down to 1 XP per message still seems insane to me since it is a lot to just be handed out with no work.

Finally, this would flat our ruin the XP economy. Wait, what? There's an XP economy? Yep, there is, and it needs to stay balanced or else the people who worked hard for their levels will be even angrier than many did when Area 51 rewards came out. I think that this would upset a lot of long-time, loyal users since they feel that their levels are soon going to be meaningless. Overall, I am just not a big fan of this.

Posted Nov 21, 2019
    saltyfishhy likes this.
  17. I have to disagree with this idea. Exp is about experience in-game. Like @SpitefulNick said, you don't get 'experience' by writing in chat. There's also the problem of people spamming, I have no idea how they would resolve that.

Posted Nov 22, 2019
  18. I really dont like this idea, your supposed to earn EXP from playing in game, its really not that hard to do and this will only be abused. there isnt a point in it and tbh I dont get where you coming from in wanting this to be added, because its not that hard to get EXP. also adding this would be really unfair to lvl 100s because they worked hard to get to level 100 and other people will get there from typing instead of playing hours upon hours in game. -1

Posted Nov 22, 2019
  19. Heyo!

I'm going to disagree with this idea. I can see this being abused a lot with people using bots to automatically type in the chat so they can level up faster. As @jxcb said, it will be abused and it ruins the whole point in playing games to level up. The purpose of the XP system is that it's meant to be hard and a lot of work to get to those levels, and it shows those who are a high level have put the time and effort into earning them. It will be super unfair to those who have spent years trying to get to the level they are and will completely throw off the point in having an XP and level system in the first place. For these reasons, I will be giving this a -1 as I'm really not a fan and it will most definitely be abused if implemented!

Posted Nov 22, 2019
  20. Nothing personal but I think this is a bad idea. If this was added then people would use spam bots to level up quick, causing abuse and annoying spam in the chat at the same time.

Posted Nov 22, 2019