• 2890 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 11474 Players Online
  • 8584 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Getting Better at Turf Wars

Discussion in 'Turf Wars' started by StarsTae, Sep 30, 2018.

?

Is Turf Wars worth the time and effort to get good at?

Poll closed Oct 21, 2018.
  1. Yes

90.9%
  2. No

9.1%
  1. I have been playing Turf Wars for some time now, on and off for a couple years. Recently, I have been trying to get much better at Turf Wars, with little success. For a small amount of time, I actually was getting better, but after that I hit an expansive plateau. I would like to get pretty good, and it would be a massive help if anybody could give any tips or strategies. Is Turf Wars really worth time and effort to get good, or should I just stop trying to get good and play a different game? Anything would be much appreciated!

Posted Sep 30, 2018
  2. Heya, in my opinion, Turf Wars is a really fun game and I would like to spend more time getting better at it. The games are usually pretty long so it's great for experience and game rewards. I think it's going to be interesting to see any potential tips for improving in this thread. There are loads of different and diverse strategies used in Turf Wars so there's a lot to think about from which kit you use, to how you play it. Good luck!

Posted Sep 30, 2018
    StarsTae likes this.
  3. Getting good at Turf Wars is actually a good idea since playing the game generally improves your archery and your dodging skills. The game's fairly fastpaced at times, meaning that arrows are constantly getting shot at you, so you have to learn to shoot accurately, but quickly. Playing the game means that you're constantly improving at quick and accurate shooting, as well as good dodging motions to avoid getting hit by arrows.

I would say the trick to the game is like the Star Wars quote, "Hans shot first." You really have to be the first to shoot or you're going to get killed before your arrow can hit someone. There's not enough time to slowly draw your bow and aim very accurately; instead, don't charge your bow the full way and aim in the general area of someone. The minute you shoot your bow, move out of that spot to dodge the arrows that probably are going to get shot at you. If you're able to do this well, you'll get plenty of kills and receive a nice reward of gems, shards and xp at the end of the game, as well as better archery and motion skills in general.

In my opinion, it doesn't matter if you have the coolest fort or the largest one. As long as you have a small spot that you can duck behind just in case, then it doesn't matter if your fort is a small 2x2 hut. Most of the time, you won't even need one if you're good enough at avoiding arrows. I would also recommend you use the turf division line to your advantage. Sometimes, it's hard to get shots off at people hiding behind forts who only poke their heads up once in a while. If you can get flung back by the borderline, you get a height advantage that you can use to rain an arrow or two down upon unsuspecting enemies. Another trick for getting these hiding enemies is to find out how often they pop up, maybe it's once every few seconds, and just shoot at an arrow at the place they pop up every so often. You're more than likely to get a good shot and hit them. Minecraft's arrow mechanisms are also a little odd - even if they don't pop up, you might manage to skim their head and get the kill. This works for shooting around blocks, too. If someone's standing behind a column and you shoot right to the side of the column, you're more likely than not to somehow get the kill.

These are some of the more basic tips that I've given you - most of the others totally depend on your playing style - are you an aggressive player? A fort builder? That's up to you to find out :)

Posted Sep 30, 2018
    StarsTae and Zipppo like this.
  4. Turf Wars is a really fun game if you can play it correctly, and it is beneficial to your aim as well. This was one of the first games I played on Mineplex 3 years and 6 months ago. It is very helpful for your aim, and you can make really good trickshots with the bounce going to the other claim. Trickshots obviously don't give you any points but I like them for a satisfaction factor...
    Anyway there are many ways to improve your skills in this game. Like said before you don't want to fully charge your arrows all the time, especially if you are aiming at someone who is aiming at you. You also want to aim quickly, if you aim fast and you don't charge fully then you'll become a team carry really fast.There are also some really basic tips, like don't build at the exact edge of your turf because when Combat Time begins one person on your team always dies, and someone on their team dies as well because people aim at others during Build Time. This would completely waste your build time and materials. I suggest if you want to make a big fort do it a couple blocks away. Big forts are not really as useful as people may think, especially with the Shredder kit there and easy to switch to.You want to save your materials and block yourself off when you actually need to. For example, you're aiming at someone who is aiming at you, you quickly block yourself off with a 3x3 wall then when he shoots you shoot through the hole he made. If someones aiming at your side build a fast wall on your side. You don't want to make a 2x2 ever, unless you don't have the materials only because of the strange hitbox Mojang designed.
    If you use Infiltrator you don't want to be on the other side for long. You want to go in, maybe get one or two kills, then leave. Then maybe you go back if you want to but if you stay too long the slowness makes it easier for someone to hit you with an arrow.

If you think Turf Wars is fun you should also try One In The Quiver. It has the same 1 arrow 1 kill, except you only get 1 arrow and you have a sword/axe if you miss. Overall fun game and if you get good at Turf Wars then OiTQ will be easier for you.
    -Xion

Posted Sep 30, 2018
    StarsTae likes this.
  5. The first game I ever played on Mineplex was Turf Wars actually. Now after a few years I am really good at it with more than 2k wins! And this did not just improve my turf war strates, but in other games such as Survival Games. Being able to dodge and move around quickly is super important in other games, and let alone knowing how to shoot a bow and easily hitting your target no matter what is super important in games such as Survival Games, SSM (for certain kits).

If anyone needs help and wants to learn how to get better at Turf Wars, PM me on discord or add me on Mineplex or even message me on here! I'll try to get back to people as soon as possible :)

Posted Sep 30, 2018
    StarsTae likes this.
  6. Turf Wars, along with another arcade minigame Runner, was the game that dragged me into Mineplex back in early 2015. I am not particularly good at the game, but I would still give it a try whenever you feel like practicing shooting and strategy without a too much of a competitive battle. In the long run, it will definitely pay off if you are willing to invest a portion of your time.

If you are feeling more hardcore about it, gather a mate or two and make a strategy plan. For example, if you are on a team with two friends, each of you can select a different kit - Marksman, Infiltrator or Shredder. Make turns so that everyone gets to experience having each of these roles. Teamwork is rarely seen in Turf Wars but it can be lethal for the opposing team when engaged, and if you are feeling comfortable with a kit other than Marksman, this teamwork could bring you many victories.

As for specific strategies, I highly recommend building a fort against the sides of the map if possible. You will be able to build it much quicker and the opponents will have a slightly harder time detecting your hideout. If it's close enough to the border, you will have a decent chance at successfully shooting not just the players right in front of you, but also those on the other side of the battlefield. In specific maps such as Hidden Courtyard you can also access certain parts of the map near the spawn that will allow you to become virtually invisible for the opposing players. It is difficult to get a kill from these spots, but it might be worth it if you are a good shooter from distance.

I would refer to replies above for further advice on getting better at this game. Have fun playing it!

Posted Sep 30, 2018
    StarsTae likes this.
  7. Hello,

Back in the good times when I was like 10, all I would do on Mineplex was play Turf Wars. I think that in the long run, you've got to learn how to aim the best you can and build effective defenses, like don't build too near the border because then you're base will be destroyed very fast, and build a defense that can't be shredded by that one kit.

Thanks
    Techno

Posted Sep 30, 2018
    StarsTae likes this.
  8. Im a longtime turf wars player like Bailey, closing in on 3k wins myself. My opinion is that infiltrator is a garbage tier kit against players that have been playing the game as long as players like myself have, but can be effective against players newer to the game. Sword takes 2 smacks to kill a full health target, an arrow is an instant kill, even if the bow is draw just enough for the arrow to fly one block. The other obstacle for infiltrators is slowness, which really limits their sword's viability. I guess you can justify shredder as a more supportive kit for knocking out forts, but shredder is also not ideal for getting kills.

I also hold the belief that aim isn't the biggest part about how good you are. Part of this is because arrows have a travel time. This means that you can miss a target, but the target still runs into the arrow anyway for whatever reason. In fact, when you shoot directly at a laterally moving target, you will miss. My other argument towards Turf not requiring amazing amounts of aim is other first person shooters (ill use overwatch as an example) where bullet travel time is instantaneous for some characters, so wherever you click, the bullet is already there, which is a purely aim mechanic. I know good turf wars players that are the highest rank in overwatch and I know good turf wars players that are the lowest rank.

I think Turf Wars is more about prediction of movement than aim. When players stand still (if you want to get better, always make a point of moving unless you are camping) then aim is what gets you a kill, but killing good players is about movement prediction. Aiming the arrow where you think they will be is a skill, yes, but predicting movement is the most important part of Turf Wars. Getting better at predicting movements just comes with experience. Dodging is also an important aspect, but it appears previous responses have covered that for you. I don't think Turf Wars is that difficult of a game to get "good" at, and after a while it gets pretty effortless when you get the hang of it.

Posted Sep 30, 2018
    StarsTae likes this.
  9. Yes, turf wars is a fun game, I recommend for people that want to get better, to go into a realm and practice distance shots, learn the arrows drop rate, and where to aim for certain distances, I can hit a person with one shot, not needing to adjust a second shot. Learn how to drop an arrow over a wall, I could give more but that's for people to learn. I play a lot on bedrock and it's probably my top game play, was bomb lobbers until it was moved. But yes, keep playing it, the better you get the more fun you have playing it. With all the arrow shooting it will also make you better in other games at using a bow. Also cross shots are a huge advantage, example, shoot from the right side to hit other team standing on the right side, people don't look to the sides to see if people are aiming at them, most only look directly forward. I didn't mind giving more tips, don't think I will be caught up to on turfwars bedrock

Posted Sep 30, 2018,
    Last edited Sep 30, 2018
    StarsTae likes this.