• 98 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 1399 Players Online
  • 1301 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Gem Complains: Cake Wars Update

Discussion in 'Cake Wars' started by Gem, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Recently, there has been an update that raised some tension within the Mineplex community. We all know that ‘Cake Wars’ is in fact one of the most popular games on this server. So with great changes in the game, comes with many players giving their negative or positive opinions. I decided to be the voice for not only me, but for some of my friends whom have spent months to years playing this game. I’m not here to talk about the minor changes such as slime traps, spawn protection change, inflation on obsidian, or the removal of wool walls. I’m here to talk about the pvp aspect of the game. There has been two significant changes on the most used kits of the game, Frosting and Builder. Thankfully, the slowness on frosting kit has been removed. You were you getting slowed down by this atrocious god awful kit and on top of that you were getting comboed at the same time. You could have little to no pvp skills but could still annoy an entire lobby with frost because of how overpowered and obnoxious it was thus deeming the phrase, “frost reliant”. Even without the slowness it still is a very powerful kit because you still can get crazy combos it’s just not as bad as it used to be. Now let’s talk about builder. Not only was this kit overnerfed by the devs, but it’s now useless in combat. Builder had a pvp aspect to it and I believe that every single kit should have a pvp aspect to it. Calling suffo an "exploit" is downright stupid, it was a part of the kit. The difference between builder and frost is that suffocating actually took genuine skill and practice. Not everyone can place two blocks and plat in an instant. Half of the time I never placed fast enough to get that advantage. Placing blocks in front of people is way more time consuming and inconsistent than being able to throw snowballs. When you’re fighting someone using frost, you could only hope that the player misses all three of their snowballs whereas if you’re fighting someone that is a builder and you see them placing two blocks then bringing out the knitted platform, you place a block and jump over their blocks. It is simple and beatable but of course there will always be experts that make it hard for players and that is completely ok; because every single game you play in there will always be sweats that perfect their kits, that doesn’t mean we should complain and nerf everything. Instead we should learn how to avoid getting suffocated because it’s very avoidable. You can easily lure a builder to fight you on a beacon or you can suffocate them before they suffocate you. I know that this nerf was also supposed to benefit the “casuals” but with all due respect, nobody cares about the casuals. Cake wars is disgustingly sweaty. You can’t play solo without red team being a tryhard party. You can’t even win without a party. Every single game feels like CWCL. Even with this update the casuals still won’t win anything. In conclusion this update was mineplex taking two steps back, it was a redundant overall bad quality in terms of the pvp aspect of this game. There needs to be a change.

-Gem

Posted Apr 30, 2020
    Loptan, anthxny, Susie and 6 others like this.
  2. I have to disagree with this post for a few reasons. First of all, and this is my personal opinion, but I never had a problem with frosting before the nerf, and I actually find it harder to play against after the slowness was taken away, but thats just for me. Second, about builder. When you said ever kit should have a pvp use, I honestly disagree. Builder is still a great kit and I even started using it after the nerf. Just because it doesn't directly affect pvp, getting higher than player and rushing really fast at the beginning of the game is still really good. I'm even at middle after capturing the emerald gen before any other team has captured their emerald gen, but that also has to do with my speed bridging. At the same time, I do play duos, and so standard may be a little different, though the problem with sweats in every game also happens a lot in duos. Lastly, suffo may not be an exploit, but it was a glitch and was not intended, so really it is not like in the kit description that it says that suffo is also a use, but that just technical and I understand why a lot of people are upset about it, but at the same time a lot of people were upset about the frosting nerf and I understand those people. Though I have to disagree, I do commend you on writing such a detailed paragraph and it is nice to see the other side of how people who disagree with the nerf thinks. I hope you have a great day and stay safe during this pandemic.

Posted Apr 30, 2020
    Dulciloquy likes this.
  3. "Lastly, suffo may not be an exploit, but it was a glitch and was not intended," If it was a bug and or an exploit don't you think the devs would have removed it earlier? It was only removed to make gameplay "balanced" and a lot of people were crying about how it wasn't avoidable in which it is.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Apr 30, 2020,
    Last edited Apr 30, 2020
    shirouu, Poopify and txengi like this.
  4. No, don't bring back deploy suffocation. Frosting is still a huge advantage in PvP as it helps significantly with combos. My main problem with deploy suffocation is once you get in, it can be near impossible to get out alive. Given any random suffocation, you probably won't have shears and/or haste 2. Given the few seconds it takes you to break out, the opponent can hit you a few times for free damage, then immediately suffocate again so you can't get out. They get 5 uses, and deploy platforms come back, so it ultimately becomes a free kill. Some can argue your team can help, but really, you aren't always going to have your team with you. In duos, this could be used near your cake and then the other team can 2v1 your partner, and get a free cake.

Posted Apr 30, 2020
    SpitefulNick likes this.
  5. This is one of the realest posts I’ve seen on this entire site. Big ups to you my guy. Speaking literal and raw facts.

Posted Apr 30, 2020
    leaf, shirouu, Poopify and 1 other person like this.
  6. Agreed, this game is getting boring without any strategy aspect at all

Posted Apr 30, 2020
    anthxny, Kalpek, leaf and 4 others like this.
    • General Rudeness Severity 1
    "My main problem with deploy suffocation is once you get in, it can be near impossible to get out alive" near impossible? 100% false, haste 2 or shears aren't needed to escape from being suffocated, most of the time that you're being suffocated, the opponent will still be on the wool they have placed. You can still jump up and hit them. Breaking the block isn't that hard either, just hold left click. When you're trapped, they aren't able to hit you unless they break the block above you, below you. Though it is possible to hit the one being suffocated, though its not always possible. It is not ultimately a free kill, that is just you whining about the fact that you can't pvp and are blaming it on platforms, that in itself is pathetic.

Posted Apr 30, 2020
    leaf, shirouu, txengi and 1 other person like this.
  7. I agree with the every game feeling competitive part and that frosting is still powerful, but I feel frosting is now more limited in where it is able to demonstrate a gap between other kits. Personally, I support the builder nerf. You said that every kit should have a pvp aspect, but shouldn't every kit have a mobile aspect as well if you're going with that train of thought? I said in another thread about the builder nerf that roped arrow on archer, or a leap on warrior would give the kits mobility as well. Why should one kit have everything while the others don't? It doesn't make sense.

Posted Apr 30, 2020
  8. I disagree with most of your post, unfortunately. I have not played CW a ton since the changes, but it is one of my main games so I hope my opinion doesn't come across as ignorant.

This is a good thing because this was the intention of the kit. Each kit, in my opinion, should only have one main benefit. Builder used to have a mobility aspect and a PvP aspect, which made it a bit unbalanced. This was and still is my main kit because I rely on the blocks and the mobility. Removing its usefulness in combat is pretty fine with me. Additionally, it's not completely useless. Just yesterday I was using it to quickly block off player-built bridges when people were chasing me. Unless they have blocks and the quickness to hotkey to them to get over the "roadblock" so to speak, this buys you a good 5+ seconds as they break through the barrier. So it still can be used in unconventional ways to help you out in combat situations. Removing the suffocation makes the kit less powerful, sure, but it makes it have only one main perk (movement) which is more in-line with the other kits.

I disagree that dodging snowballs was luck based. You could for sure dodge them via strafing or "taunting" scenarios, and once that player is out of snowballs, they have literally no advantage since that's the entire aspect of their kit. Due to this reason, I don't think the kit is still OP at all, it's again quite balanced now and more similar to the other kits you have to choose from.

Posted Apr 30, 2020
    SpitefulNick and xGetRekted like this.
  9. As someone who basically only plays cake wars and has played many games, I have rarely had a problem with people suffocating me to the extent that you are trying to argue; it barely takes 2 seconds to break the block and build yourself out of the suffocation. Also, when you say that your "main problem with deploy suffocation is once you get in, it can be near impossible to get out alive," you could argue the same thing about frosting, since it "is still a huge advantage in PvP as it helps significantly with combos." Once you get someone in a combo with frost, it's nearly impossible to get out of the combo, and in the hands of a an experienced player, frosting is completely broken. The nerf on frosting's slowness was fair and it finally balanced the kits a bit, but the nerf on suffocation was unnecessary and made it significantly more difficult to deal with strong frosting players. Additionally, suffocation was extremely useful when dealing with hackers as you could just block them off from the cake, however, now when a hacker flies onto your cake, there's essentially nothing you can do. I have already lost many games due to being unable to use platforms on the hacker. I’ve also seen people arguing that this is just a staff or anti-cheat problem, which I can agree with to some extent, however, suffocation was a great way to deal with hackers while a staff member is on their way or for when GWEN is not working. Finally, literally ANYONE can use platforms whether it’s selecting the builder kit or buying them from the shop, so there is really no reason to complain about suffocation if everyone can utilize it.

Posted Apr 30, 2020
    rxgan, Susie, leaf and 3 others like this.
  10. I do agree that builder had the best of both worlds as it was so easy to bridge mid and was an advantage in combat. But when you're in someones plat half of the time they are either next to you hitting your feet or on top hitting your head. Now theres two simple ways to counter this
    1. If they are hitting your feet and you are also builder you can suffo them back. If you aren't a builder, simply break the block that you're inside of, it doesn't take more than two seconds for it to break.
    2. If they are on top of their platform you could jump up and hit them back and you also have the low ground advantage. If this was also taking place on a bridge you could hit them into the void.
    Another great thing about this ability was that it stopped players from eating your cake because their has been instances where an entire team isnt at base and then one player respawns and sees someone eating their cake and they could run and suffo them which stopped them.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Apr 30, 2020
    txengi likes this.
  11. "who cares about the casuals" literally the 80% of lobbies that aren't red team. CW is never going to be able to sustain itself as a mode if we turn off the new players because they aren't having fun due to mechanics such as slowness and suffocation.

I'm just going to accept the fact that I'm not going to be able to convince some people why suffo was bad for the game, so if you want my full stance on that there are plenty of other threads like this I've commented on. But essentially, it's not good for one item to be a cure all for most situations, or really any item to be used as a cop out easy win for pvp fights. Aside from the item in general, it's not good for a mobility kit to also be the best option or even really a viable option for a pvp advantage.

Posted Apr 30, 2020
    hyperspacechewy likes this.
  12. The casuals don’t make the game it’s us that do.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Apr 30, 2020
    txengi likes this.
  13. No? We play the game more regularly but we are still a minority of the people playing cakewars. Once we grow out of the game or move on or whatever it's going to need more players to replace us. The game is just going to die if it only caters to older more experienced players because less new players will fill the gap once we leave.

Posted Apr 30, 2020
    Johnny Welamton likes this.
  14. Builder was pretty much the solution to every situation, except near beacons. It had uses even near player spawns if done right, probably mostly the cake and stopping players from leaving the base. Deploy suffo is really op. Don't try to blame my pvp skills, I know *very* few people that can beat me in a 1v1, I know what I'm doing.

Posted May 1, 2020
  15. Heyo!

Well I'll try to be polite as I can, considering when I share my opinion in the right way, I get warned.

1) Do not bring exploits (deploy suffocation) back. Like please no. It's recently just removed, and if your idea suggests that exploit relaints should exist, while frost reliants don't, then your idea should not be implemented. It was never overnerfed by the DEVs. The kit deserved that, for the amount of blatant exploiters that used the suffocation. The right way to phrase this is "The kit is now what it should have been at the start". Builder, AS THE NAME SUGGESTS, is for building. It's not for exploiting. So no, we do NOT need exploit relaints brought back to CakeWars in the slightest, so that's a HUGE -1.

2)
    No. Just no. You start feeling sorry for "casuals" at the end of the post, and in the middle, you completely ignore their existence. An idea can't work like that at all. Casuals probably found it hard to avoid exploits, and you opinion saying "It's very avoidable" will not change that fact whatsoever. I really hope that this idea isn't one to suggest letting exploit reliants back and not let frost reliants back too.

3)
    Please may you explain why your post is curving from feeling for the casuals, then stating "No-one cares about them"? It seems to me, as though you aren't considering others in your post. Builders should never have exploited and it was downright wrong. This idea makes no sense, in the fact of "Casuals". This post is also very hypocritical on the theme of casuals. You practically only used them to back up your point, and then later state that "No-one cares about them". So, no huge -1 to this idea. Would not make any sense in my opinion, and I'm sure others will agree. Your idea has extreme flaws in them, and for this, along with your tone of the post, I will be hoping and praying this idea isn't implemented.

Cheers!
    ~Sean

Posted May 1, 2020
    hyperspacechewy likes this.
  16. Deploy suffocation isn't an "exploit" I don't know why you keep calling it that. As I said above if it was a glitch/bug/not meant to happen the devs would have removed it earlier. People like you, who complain about it, who exagerate about not being able to break a WOOL block that you're inside of are the reason this ability was removed. Saying builders using this ability was "downright wrong" is asinine. It's a smart strategy and it sounds as if someone who was a builder broke you at one point. When I said "no one cares about the casuals" I meant that mineplex should rather listen to life long cake wars players. People who constantly play this game who spend REAL $$ into this server, who constantly work hard making the leaderboards. I am even starting to doubt that this nerf was even about the casuals. It was for the frosters who wanted people who main builder to recieve the same consquences as they did even though froster was way more OP. You can snowball a player anywhere on the map but you can't suffo on beacons which by the way a lot of fights happen there. With this builder nerf frosting is still alpha. Even though the whole point of their update was to make the kits balanced. All I am saying is that the kits now have bigger gaps then before the only people who benefited from this update are the people who use archer and not a lot of people use archer.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted May 1, 2020
    txengi likes this.
  17. Just read over this thread. I give my opinion there.

Posted May 1, 2020