• 1334 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 4258 Players Online
  • 2924 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Freedom of Speech on Mineplex

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by DMRH, Jun 16, 2019.

?

Do you think we deserve more freedom of speech?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    100.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Every single time I log on to Mineplex, I love to chat and converse with players within my lobby or game.
    The problem is, I'm always getting things censored that don't deserve to be censored.
    When I try to converse about another server, blocked. When I try to converse about LGBTQ+, blocked. When I try to converse about people who are homophobic, blocked. Even some things politics related, blocked. When I try to talk about abortion, blocked. Even some of my general conversation, blocked.
    A lot of what's being said doesn't deserve to be blocked.
    It's like if talking about abortion or racism was illegal, and you could get a $1000 dollar fine for talking about the LGBTQ+ community.
    Now, I'm not saying to allow us to swear, and run our mouths like irresponsible children, but I'm just asking for a bit less harshness of what's allowed and not allowed to be said.
    Please, Mineplex. Allow us a bit more freedom of speech so that we aren't having to constantly work around your broken AntiSwear.

Posted Jun 16, 2019
  2. I think that the filter blocks those words, not because they're bad necessarily, but just because of the context it could be used in. Also in my opinion mineplex isn't really the place to talk about that kind off stuff. Also, that poll is a little narrow, maybe instead, you could put: Reduce filter severity, or keep it the same. Something like that.

Posted Jun 16, 2019
    FluteVegetables likes this.
  3. You shouldn't be talking about those topics on Mineplex anyways.

Posted Jun 16, 2019
    FrostbiteXD and Typr like this.
  4. It's better to block them. People could take offense to the words. And context matters so much.

Posted Jun 16, 2019
    Typr likes this.
  5. Yes exactly, there's a big difference between: "You're so g**", and "please don't call me g**".

Posted Jun 16, 2019
  6. But it's still important to have that freedom of speech, and most people know now that some people are just plain rude, and know how to handle it. The majority of people are also older than 13, and regardless of how these terms are used, it's still important to know what they are, and people can always report people who use those terms negatively.
    --- Post updated ---
    There's still other topics that are discussed on Mineplex that correlate to these kind of topics. I just think such harsh rules aren't necessary.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jun 16, 2019
  7. They aren't rules, it's a filter. What are filtered, are topics that are not suited to be talked about in Mineplex. Just because there are possible topics that correlate to the filtered topics do not mean all topics should be unfiltered.

Posted Jun 16, 2019
    Typr likes this.
  8. We don’t deserve anything, mineplex is a private company, they don’t have to give anything to us.

Posted Jun 16, 2019
  9. Ther
    The rules are, you can't say this otherwise it gets filtered. Like I said up above, people know that these terms can be used harshly, and most people know how to deal with it, and can report this harsh behavior. I just feel we need that small bit more of freedom of speech so that we're not constantly having to work around the filter system, which we do anyway, so what's the harm in dumbing the system down a bit?
    --- Post updated ---
    Why are you even arguing this? So what? "Deserve" was a just my choice of word. I could've said "I feel like we should have more freedom of speech."

OP OP
  10. Saying something that's filtered isn't a punishment, therefor not a rule. It's not about whether people can deal with it or whether people can report it, simply, Mineplex does not want these topics to be talked about in a gaming community.

You don't have to work around anything if you aren't talking about those topics. You'd have to bring arguments as to why they shouldn't be filtered.

It isn't a matter of what Mineplex can do, but what they should do.

Posted Jun 16, 2019
  11. Why are you even arguing this? So what? Deserve was a just my choice of word. I could've said "
    If you want more arguments on the topic, visit Attractive's thread:
    https://www.mineplex.com/threads/reevaluate-the-mineplex-chat-rules.47998/

OP OP
  12. Posted Jun 16, 2019
  13. The server is family friendly so I do not think freedom of speech is right for Mineplex. Mineplex is here to game and have fun with the community not to discuss serious topics and or touchy content. We shouldn’t be discussing anything that has to do with real world problems, the discussion should be who won the most nano games.
    My thoughts and opinions.

Posted Jun 16, 2019
    Sqwush/Snowwii likes this.
  14. This is a topic that has been brought up numerous times in the past.

Mineplex is a games-first community open to any players, regardless of age, LGBT affiliation, political standing, race, gender, etc. Our network Leadership has consciously barred these topics and terms from discussion on our network because they aren't pertinent to the game or any of our network's platforms. We have no reason to permit-- much less encourage or advertise-- chances to discuss these topics because it would inherently become grounds for divisive discussions and would create opportunities for members of our network to harass other players based on the aforementioned topics.

Currently, our network Leadership and Rules Committee have no intentions to lift these restrictions based on the premises set forth above. Please contact a member of our network's Rules Committee for more information.

Posted Jun 16, 2019
    FrostbiteXD likes this.
  15. Also from Attractive's thread, we really have absolutely no data about our player base and there's no accurate way for us to obtain this information. I'm going to pull this quote from the other thread regarding why you might feel our average is higher than it actually is:

Again, neither you nor I have accurate data on this statistic, so it really can't be used to support either side of the argument.
    I 100% disagree. Think about this from a parenting perspective. Younger children absolutely do not need to know all the negative and derogatory terms that exist in the world. It is absolutely not our place to condone removing words from the filter and cite the reason as "teaching".

You really do not have to work around the filter unless you are discussing something that isn't okay to discuss on our family friendly server. My chats as a moderator are never filtered unless there's a word picked up incorrectly by the filter, which maybe happens to me once a week.

--------​

Regarding the whole "freedom of speech" claim, this is a United States ammendment that applies to the U.S. government not being able to restrict the speech of its citizens, this does not apply to any private businesses or companies including Mineplex. It is made quite public that we have a list of our own rules that you are required to follow as long as you play on our server.

I don't feel we need to remove any words from our filter, and I'm not just saying that because I'm a staff member. I'm saying that because I agree with the reason the filter is there, and I personally enjoy the server more when it's PG and not PG 13 or R rated - which it could easily be if we remove words from the filter.

You say you're asking for "less harshness" and you agree that we can't just remove the filter. You failed to give any specifics as to how we could be "less harsh" in your opinion. Are we talking about lowering severities (which I would also argue against)? Are you wanting to remove just some words from the filter?

Posted Jun 16, 2019
  16. I believe that we should not have more freedom of speech here on the network. The topics that you listed are not meant for a younger audience and has no place being discussed on Mineplex in my opinion. Some players on the server are young and do not need to know some of the terms that are used when discussing some of these topics. Like said above it's not that the term is bad but the context that the term can be used in can be seen in a malicious way used to put someone down. For these reasons I think that the chat filter is perfectly fine as is.

Posted Jun 16, 2019
    FrostbiteXD likes this.
  17. [​IMG]
    Thread Locked.

You have to think about this from an owners perspective. If you owned a restaurant per say, you wouldn't want people coming into your restaurant talking and raving about another restaurant? That potentially takes business from your business. Mineplex is nothing more than a business as well, and by allowing players to openly talk about other servers, it risks us losing players, and that's not what we want. When you're on Mineplex, why wouldn't you be talking about Mineplex?

There is a reason these words are blocked. It's not so much the fact that we don't wish people to know about it, or we don't want people to discuss it appropriately. We're more so concerned of the negative aspects of the words and how they can be used in a negative light. LGBT is a very sensitive topic, and discussions about it often get heated very quickly. There's a lot to it that not many people understand, and it isn't really something that needs to be discussed on a Minecraft server. Especially considering that younger players (which is what makes up most of Mineplex) shouldn't be exposed to these type of things without adequate knowledge on the topic.

This has to be some sort of common sense? Why would you ever need to be discussing abortion rights on a child-friendly Minecraft server? That is simply not needed here, and with the massive child player base that surrounds Minecraft as a whole, it simply isn't necessary. Nor are politics. You have to understand that we block certain words and topics for a reason. If we're letting people just argue and talk about a multitude of different inappropriate or one-sided topics, then it looks poorly on us. Mineplex is a minigame server, not a place for political debates.

I don't feel as if the filters are harsh as all. Remember, we're a child-friendly Minecraft servers. Have the things you've mentioned are completely unnecessary topics that players don't need to be discussing, especially around young children.

You shouldn't have to work around our filters. We have our filters for a reason, bypassing them is mutable and I suggest not doing so.

All in all, I disagree with everything you've said. Everything we have is there for a reason. If you have any questions, you can contact our Filter/Rules Committee lead, @Toki and discuss with her more about the filters. Have a good day, everyone.[/QUOTE]

Posted Jun 16, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.