• 786 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 3365 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Not Planned Free Level-Up Rewarded on Christmas

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by MineplexHatesMe, Dec 2, 2019.

?

Should this idea be accepted?

This poll will close on Jan 20, 2020 at 6:12 PM.
  1. Yes

29.4%
  2. No

70.6%
  1. Hello everyone, I would like to share an idea with you all that may or may not improve the server. So my idea is that when you log on Christmas day, all players will be gifted one free level. The only way to claim is reward is by logging on the server. You can not claim the reward before or after Christmas day. I feel like this will help new low-leveled players by giving them a boost. I think this will also help high-leveled players that are having hard times leveling up. But the only way to claim the reward is by logging on the server, you can not claim the reward unless you log on the server to claim it. However, when you claim the reward, it will give the exact mount of XP you have to earn to level up to the next level. You will still be awarded the level reward you get from claiming the free level. If you have any questions or if you have any more to add to this idea, you may comment them down below. I hope you like my idea and it gets accepted and added in the future! Have a good rest of your day! :)

Posted Dec 2, 2019
    M4RK7000 likes this.
  2. oh I want free level yes :)))

Posted Dec 2, 2019
  3. I don't think this should be added because people work hard for levels. Lots of people have competitions with each other on who can beat the other one to a certain level, and this might ruin their competition. I can see a scenario where one person who's competing with another person logs on, but the other person doesn't log on, so the other person is now behind in the race. I could see Mineplex adding a cosmetic or a title for Christmas, but something you have to work hard for shouldn't be something you just magically get for free.

Overall, I would give this idea a -1.

P.S. Levels are used to track how well you do in certain games (you gain xp for doing well in games). Simply giving one away, would ruin the whole purpose.

Posted Dec 2, 2019
  4. Hi!

I agree that maybe Mineplex should give players some type of reward for Christmas, but I'm not sure if a level-up is a great idea. Here's some reasons why :

1. This would be benefiting the higher levels way more than the lower leveled players. For example, if someone is level 99 they get a free boost to level 100, and if someone's level 7 (like me) they will receive much less XP compared to the level 99 player.

2. The amount of XP given would vary among players that are even the same level. For example, I am about 600XP away from level 8, and let's say another level 7 player just leveled up and needs to earn their 3,000 XP to level up to 8. This would cause unfairness with the XP distribution, and would be even more unfair in the higher levels. If someone was 2k away from level 99, and a level 99 just leveled up, they would get drastically different amounts of XP. One would get 2,000, and the other would get 295,000.

3. Some people can't log on during the winter holidays. Take my family for example. We go up to a ski resort every winter break. I don't have any time to log on and I can't claim my level reward. This is unfair to those who travel as I don't know that many people who would shove a PC into their suitcase to play MC during their vacation.

4. What are the level 100's going to receive...?

Overall, I'm going to leave this as a -1. Maybe a different reward can be added, such as a chest (I don't know which one), but I don't think a level up reward is the best option.

Have a great day/night!

Posted Dec 2, 2019,
    Last edited Dec 2, 2019
    kim_crazy, FluteVegetables and Acerna like this.
  5. Hey there!

I'm not sure an entire level would be a good idea. Like @ScarletBlood37 said above, for lower level people, an entire level is not a lot, but for people that are close to 100 or in the 70s-90s it's a big deal. Simply adding an entire level seems unfair and inconsistent. However, to celebrate Christmas I don't think that adding a fixed amount of XP to one's account would be a bad idea either. I think maybe 1k-5k XP would be a good idea to give away just for the fun of Christmas and wouldn't cause that big of a commotion. Good idea! I like the whole idea of giving away some stuff for Christmas and I think it's a good way to show Christmas cheer.

Posted Dec 2, 2019
    M4RK7000 and ScarletBlood37 like this.
  6. To be completely honest I would love for this to happen but it is definitely not a good idea. I hate to repeat exactly what others said but they are right about the xp amount for higher levels as opposed to lower. Another reason I do not believe this would be good is that it's much more fun and gets people playing more if you have to earn the levels instead of just getting them free. I am pretty sure that if someone logs on every day in December, plays the Holiday Events and completes the advent calendar, they may be bound to level up at the end of it all anyway. If not they will have at least gained some XP due to the Christmas celebrations.

In your quote, I have to disagree with your statements. Giving low-leveled players a "boost" as you say wouldn't be much in the way of just one level, and that boost I doubt would encourage them to play more to gain more levels because of the ease of just completing the monthly log ins. As for high leveled players, if at that point they are having "trouble" leveling up, they've probably earned so much xp that they are aiming for a certain level and will grind and work hard to gain the xp. Anyone who gets stuck will most likely not want to play even more after a free level because there is even more xp needed to get to the next level, and they may just start looking for freebies and get bored of actually playing.

This was a nice idea, but I'd rather support ideas that I think would help the server, playerbase, or activity of players and I do not think that your suggestion of a free level up (especially since the month already started and it's difficult to have a prize like that inserted when the developers probably have something else planned already) fits any of the categories. I'd like to hear more ideas although I give this a -1

Posted Dec 2, 2019
    ScarletBlood37 likes this.
  7. As a person who's both grinded levels hard for many years as well as someone who's been addicted to tracking statistics relating to levels in particular, this suggestion really rubs me the wrong way. As I'm sure you've already seen a couple times in the previous replies, this wouldn't necessarily be harmful if everyone was a fairly low level, but for higher-leveled players, this free level-up could instantly give them hundreds of thousands of experience points.

I'm going to briefly explain how the leveling system works here to give you an idea as to what kind of consequences a proposal like this would have. For each new level, a new amount of experience greater than what was required to get to your current level is needed to achieve it. For the most part, the increase is linear, and the amount increases at a predictable rate that allows you to more or less know what's coming; the amount jumps throughout the journey, but you can see that initially it increases at intervals of 500 and it ends up increasing at intervals of 5,000 for the last couple of levels.

Click here to see a full document showing each level and their requirements. With this visual, it's very easy to see how unbalanced and unfair a system like this would be. A level 99 player would be able to log on and receive almost the equivalent amount of experience as a level 30 player has instantly, whereas lower-leveled players wouldn't see a huge increase at all. This throws off balance and would make players complain about the unfair amounts some of their friends get compared to them, and it's just overall unfair when you look at it that way.

The part of the document that shows the statistics for levels past 100 is purely hypothetical since levels don't actually exceed 100 in-game, but it's a much easier way to see how broken something like this would be. The player with the most experience on the server, nwang888, would have a level-up yield so significant that it would be nearly 10% of the way from level 0 to 100 simply by just logging into the server for a couple seconds.

And finally, from my "biased' standpoint on issues regarding experience, this would be extremely disrespectful to the players who genuinely worked hard to get to the levels they are legit. For each experience point that a player would achieve without really putting the work in, another player who did has effort that becomes wasted. Plus, what would Level 100s get if every level below them received a free level-up? We wouldn't have a very merry Christmas gift to enjoy :(. But yeah, overall, I'm a hugely against this suggestion for the reasons I've already mentioned above.

Posted Dec 2, 2019
    M4RK7000, vParz, Im_Ken and 6 others like this.
  8. I think rqil basically said it all very nicely, but I wanted to add a bit. For me, this is also going to be a -1. The idea sounds fine in theory, but as stated previously in some of the replies, this would be unfair for those in the higher levels (70-90s) compared to somebody who is level 10. Level 11 is not very hard to achieve, but something like level 94 is. While this is suggested as a Christmas Day present, I'm sure that the Mineplex team already has something prepared as a gift to its player base on that day. Knowing how Mineplex usually handles their gift-giving, it will likely be something beneficial and substantial but not something too over-powering, which is how I think it should be. If the Mineplex team were to give away a huge gift to every player for every major holiday, people would only log on to play games around those times. Instead, it's a better idea to give something meaningful and beneficial to the player rather than something overpowered.

Posted Dec 2, 2019
  9. Not gonna write a whole anthology about this so here goes. In short, I don’t think this should be implemented because people work hard for levels and the xp between levels would vary (like @ScarletBlood37 said). If something like this were to be implemented maybe only give enough xp to boost half way thru your level. (Eg level 48-49 takes 82k xp so you’d get 41k). Overall -1

Posted Dec 2, 2019
    ScarletBlood37 likes this.
  10. Given the fact that earning levels is so highly based on experience (in terms of both the literal amount of experience needed to reach each specific level and the figurative aspect) and time spent playing games on the server, I'll have to disagree with this idea. Each level has a different amount of experience required to reach it, and it would be unfair for a level 97 player, for example, to be handed a level that would normally take someone weeks or even months by simply logging onto the server. I won't go further into the statistics portion of this since @rqil explained it much better than I could above, but I will express some other thoughts and a potential counter-suggestion below.

While I do see that this could be a nice incentive to convince players to log on, there are two issues that I see with it. For one, Christmas is a holiday and in many cases, a very big and busy holiday for many people, so the chances are that many players wouldn't be able to log on and in turn would feel left out or ripped off of this rare opportunity. The second, which kind of ties in with the first, is that this wouldn't do much for player retention. Some wouldn't have much time to spend on the server due to the holiday and would log onto the server for all of one minute to claim the level and immediately log off, which wouldn't cause them to play games or hang around for some time. Those who do very much want this level up are likely already avid players working toward a higher level, so they don't necessarily needed to be retained or brought back to Mineplex in any way.

If this suggestion is considered or highly favored by the community, I instead recommend that a set amount of experience be given to each player who logs onto the server on Christmas day. This amount would be the same for all players, which would prevent one level from being "favored" over another and the gift from being severely unbalanced. However, I don't see the need for experience to be given out at all as I would rather encourage players to earn it by playing games and claiming other rewards that already give out some experience. A chest or a cosmetic is a safe suggestion for a free reward.

Good suggestion and it certainly had the community's best interest in mind, but I personally don't believe this idea is plausible. I'd like to see what others think!

Posted Dec 2, 2019
    M4RK7000, AyyNick and FluteVegetables like this.
  11. Anyone know WHAT they are going to be doing (if anything) on Christmas?
    Exactly what I would have wrote!

Posted Dec 2, 2019
  12. @rqil pretty much sums up every point so there's no point in me explaining everything in different words. Read his essay to understand why we won't be implementing this. Will be marking this as not planned but won't lock so if you have any questions or concerns feel free to reply to this thread!

Posted Dec 2, 2019
  13. The purpose of having to level up in-game is to keep playing many times you need. The free level up reward system can lead to disadvantages to most of the players. Do you think it's fair to get a free ride by moving to the next level? No, that's totally unfair, and I don't see that's going to happen in the server. I'm currently on level 54, and close to reaching level 55.

I don't think it's a good idea to have a free level-up reward at all.

Posted Dec 2, 2019
    M4RK7000 likes this.
  14. actually this very unfair, me working hard to get level 38 and am very close and if someone get free level i would be mucho mad >:(((((

Posted Dec 3, 2019