• 1036 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 3615 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Not Planned Flesh Hooks Renamed

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by Danese, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Hello,

So basically, I have always found the name "flesh hook" completely gross and rather... unsanitary? I mean, with the name "flesh hook," I always imagined players using fishing hooks that get jabbed into people's arms or torsos and then the player pulls them back with an attached string... Sounds pretty gross, right? Also, just a tab bit... disturbing... especially for a server who is officially partnered with Minecraft.

So, anyway, I thought of a funny name that I think I saw somebody else post on here at one point.

Let's rename Flesh Hooks to...

YEETERS!

This would be a super fun and rather funny name that easily says what the item does in one word without the presence of any gruesome visualizations!

-Danese

Posted Nov 30, 2019
    CheeseySF and RiotRealm like this.
  2. I swear I’ve see this thread before. As for the idea, it’s not really necessary? I’m fine with either one.

Posted Nov 30, 2019
  3. Yeah not gonna lie I think I saw a thread like this somewhere before, but I don't think a name change is really all that necessary.

Posted Nov 30, 2019
    Danese likes this.
  4. While I like the idea and the names are pretty funny that you put forward - I don't see an issue in the flesh hook being gory as such... I think that they're fine how they are and the fact that they have become a stable cosmetic that people throw around in a lobby means we can't really change them now. -1 but thanks for the idea!​

Posted Nov 30, 2019
    xOeuf likes this.
  5. No. I absolutely do not think anyone would enjoy this name as a replacement name for the flesh hooks. I have never visualized or even thought about any sort of gruesome imagery and I'm sure most players haven't either. It's just a name that implies hooking someone. This name is far better than "yeeter". That name is honestly cringy and I'm sure many players would cringe at the idea, as I did. -1.

Posted Nov 30, 2019
  6. Hello,
    To be honest, I have never really thought of any gruesome or graphic image when visualizing the name "flesh hook". As some have stated, it simply indicates you hook someone towards you. I do not really think a new name is necessary, as flesh hooks have worked fine up to now. The name you suggested "Yeeters" although seemingly funny now, would likely get stale pretty soon. Along with a large portion of the player base likely not understanding what "yeet" means, the name would not be sufficient long term. Thank you for suggesting this, but I am going to give it a -1. Have a nice day!

Posted Nov 30, 2019
  7. Flesh hook sounds good tbh I like hooking my friends’ flesh in order to bring them to me or throw them into the void
    Overall -1 from me

Posted Nov 30, 2019
  8. I really don't have any issue with having it being called "flesh hook." Personally, I have never though of it being anything that you mentioned, so, to me at least, there really isn't a point in changing it since most people do not really see anything wrong with it. Additionally, the flesh hooks have been around for so long that changing it might confuse people since its been this way for so long. The name you presented, "YEETERS," does seem a bit funny and could be a nice change; however, it would soon get old when the word dies down, just like everything does eventually.

Posted Nov 30, 2019
    FluteVegetables likes this.
  9. I don't know if this a joke thread or not but if it isn't I don't agree. I mean this is the first I've heard someone having an issue with the name. I don't really think it's that deep, it's just a name. Like already said, it's been an OG item and I don't think it should be changed.

Posted Dec 1, 2019
  10. I feel like the name isn’t too bad, at least it’s not really worth removing in my opinion. I guess it’s a little on the violent side in terms of our cosmetic names, but it isn’t really anything that bad.

I don’t think everything needs to be completely “G rated.” After all, Mineplex does have a game that centers itself around guns and explosives (Minestrike).

Even with Minecraft in general, even though it’s a pretty child friendly game when you look at the graphics, you’re still killing other players. I think the name “flesh hook” is appropriate given the type of game people are playing.

I understand where you’re coming from, but I don’t think it needs to be removed.

Posted Dec 1, 2019
  11. Flesh hook is the iconic gadget name! We can’t change it! And I’m not sure about the name “Yeeters”. -1

Posted Dec 1, 2019
  12. Amazing. Love the idea +1

Posted Dec 1, 2019
  13. When I think of flesh hooks, I just think of what they’re used for: flesh.. hooks. Hooking players. I don’t see any visual imagery like you described, maybe try thinking of it in a more cartoony setting vs irl. A better suited name would be “player hooks” not “yeeters”, as that seems odd and doesn’t fit the aesthetic. Overall- don’t wish to change the name. -1

Posted Dec 1, 2019
  14. The current name we have, "flesh hook," still fine to me, and there's no need to rename to something else. I like the way how it is right now, and I don't see the point of having the name "YEETERS." I'm not a fan of the new name too. Some of the players wouldn't understand what it means.

Overall, I'll have to disagree with renaming gadgets. -1

Posted Dec 3, 2019
  15. @Luxford posted an idea suggesting that Flesh Hooks be renamed to Yoink Keys. About the idea, I personally feel like it should remain Flesh Hooks because
    1. It is iconic
    2. It isn't THAT gruesome (maybe 3 out of 10).

Posted Dec 3, 2019
    Acerna likes this.
  16. I think that the name of this gadget is known across the network for multiple years with that same exact name, changing it would just cause confusion and many players might not like the name change as they’re used to the previous name “Flesh hooks”. As for the name itself, I don’t think it depicts something gross or unsanitary and never thought about it that way. Overall, I’ll give this idea a -1 as I don’t think the change is necessary.

Posted Dec 3, 2019
  17. Flesh hooks are one of those more OG gadgets and I don't think the name change is required really. They have been named flesh hooks for years and there aren't any real issues with the name. While I get where you're coming from, I still feel like the name is appropriate for the server. Nothing much else to say about this really. It's a simple suggestion, but I don't feel like it's really required.

Posted Dec 3, 2019
  18. Ok so let me understand your point: "Flesh Hooks" sounds "gross", "disturbing" and "gruesome" as you described. So then should we remove everything else that has a (surface level) potential undertone of a darker subject? If this is a serious complaint, I will acknowledge it being mentioned, but by creating this thread aren't you raising more negative awareness? Flesh Hooks have been an item for several years. I'm not sure how younger audiences react to the name, or if they even notice/care, but being that this is a block game then I doubt anyone's focus is on this *issue* you propose.

I'm not saying it's incorrect, but this isn't a thread that should be (re)created every time a previous iteration is locked or goes inactive. I would suggest for future suggestions, you 1) pick a new name, if reasonable in that case, which more closely represents an item than "Yeeters" (what does this mean?) and 2) make suggestions that have both the substantial community request to be changed that will make a difference. "Yeeters" sounds absurd; and not in a playful or numerous manner.

If this thread could be locked, that would be appreciated. Judging from the series of negative replies, this is not the kind of content needed to make a change in the network. I know it's a small request to change the name, but it also feels unnecessary.

-IR

Posted Dec 3, 2019
  19. Thank you for bringing up this idea; however, we will not be changing the name of the flesh hook cosmetic. Many people above have already expressed their concerns about this suggestion. One of them is that the classic name "Flesh Hook" is perfectly fine and does not provoke any graphic images. It also accurately describes the purpose of the gadget - hooking players' flesh, whereas the name "yeeters" does not convey the same message. The name has also been around and remained the same for years, and it would be unnecessary to change the classic name. In fact, it will likely do more harm than good as players may be confused about the cosmetic being renamed to something else. Therefore, we have no plans to change the name of the flesh hook gadget, but please do not hesitate to submit more ideas under the Idea Discussion section.

Not Planned

Posted Dec 4, 2019
    IntoRainbows likes this.