• 1395 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 9833 Players Online
  • 8438 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion Flagrunner | CTF Revamped

Discussion in 'New Game Discussion' started by Ethan, Sep 25, 2018.

?

Does this sound like a game you would play?

1. Yes, definitely!

2. No, I don't like the concept.

3. Maybe, but it needs work.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. [​IMG]
    Gamemode
    Flagrunner is a unique CTF experience with different kits, built around catering to Bedrock gameplay and combat mechanics.

Objective
    Steal the opposing team’s flag (which is in their base), return it to your base, and score it.

Teams
    Red (six players)
    Blue (six players)

Scoring

Upon the capture of an enemy flag, the captor’s team will receive 200 points.
    Upon a player’s death, the opposing team will receive 5 points.
    Upon a flag return (stand near the flag for 15 seconds), the returner’s team will receive 50 points.
    The game will end once a team obtains 1400 points OR once the game has been going on for 15 minutes. Gotta go fast.

Mechanics

Each class has a hotbar filled with its respective items. In addition, they receive a compass that points towards the opposing team’s flag in the last slot.
    If a player is carrying a flag, their compass will spin in circles. So useful.
    Upon picking up the flag, one’s eight hotbar slot (second to last) will change to a wool block to remind them that they have a giant kill sign on their head.
    That last part was literal. Flag carriers have their helmets replaced with the flag they are holding. It looks hilarious.
    Anti-Flag Camping: For every minute after holding the flag, a carrier receives a permanent slowness level, which caps out at Slowness 3. If the flag is held for four minutes, the carrier receives a blissful Wither 1 effect. These effects outlive the constraints of time and only end when they drop that bass flag.
    Leather armor is dyed to fit the team of the respective player(s).

Classes
    There will be three default classes to pick from, and three more classes purchasable with Gems. They’re listed below.

Bowman | Price: Free
    Quite an avid fan of archery, range, and precision. Rumored to have overcome the Archer’s Paradox within hours of starting to practice.

Armor: Full Leather

Arsenal: Diamond Axe, Bow (Infinity 1, Punch 1), Arrow (1)

Boomerang: Right-click with your axe to throw it. It’ll do a decent amount of damage from a shorter range than your longbow, but it can only travel so far before returning to you. If you catch it on the return trip, you gain Speed 1 and Jump 1 for three seconds. Cooldown of seven seconds.

Clarify: Punch with your bow to toggle a zoom. This will allow you to fire over long distances effectively, but it will also give you Slowness 2.

Sniper’s Shutdown: An arrow that travels at least 45 blocks (horizontally, so shooting straight up won’t count!) will be an instant kill. If it travels 22.5 blocks or more, it will strike with a damage of 12.

Corpsman | Price: Free
    The Corpsman is an ex military combat medic. His skills in pressing “E” to heal his teammates were rumored as flawles- wait, wrong game.

Armor: Full Chain

Arsenal: Golden Sword, Bow (Infinity 1) player head (MHF_Exclamation)

Good Touch: Teammates hit with your sword or an arrow will receive Regeneration II for 4 seconds. This can be used multiple times on different payers, but has a cooldown of 7 seconds before it can be used on the same player again.

Bad Touch: Enemies hit with your bow will receive blindness for 2 seconds and Nausea for 3 seconds. If hit again before 6 seconds pass, effect will not be applied. The bow inherently does less damage.

Totem of Restoration: Upon placing the head in your hotbar on the ground, a 5x5 area with the totem as its center will be highlighted. Any teammates in this area will receive health at a rate of one heart per second. The totem lasts 6 seconds, with a cooldown of 14 seconds.

Warden | Price: Free
    The Warden is a fighter versed in both offense and defense, and skilled in the art in motivating his team to not get themselves killed.

Armor: Full iron

Arsenal: Iron Sword, stained clay of team color, dye of team color

Buttress the Battalion: Using your clay of the stained variety gives all depressed teammates within a 12 block radius centered around you emotional support, giving them an extra +2 damage and your manly muscles terrify enemies within a 5 block radius, making them deal 1 less damage until they leave the area. Cooldown of 20 seconds.

CHARGE!: Gives all teammates within 7 blocks a speed I effect for 5 seconds. Cooldown of 14 seconds.

Beefcake | Price: 3000 Gems
    A hardened brute who eats pain for breakfast. Favorite quote: “TURN DOWN FOR WHAT?”

Armor: Full Diamond

Arsenal: Diamond Sword

NO NATURAL REGENERATION! That’s right, folks. We’ve molded your immune systems to no longer heal those gnarly wounds. Get a Corpsman or Totem of Restoration.

You only take 10% of knockback. Blocking with your sword reduces that to 0%. That’s a huge number.

The less HP you’ve got, the more tolerable you are to pain. For every difference between your current HP and 6 HP (three hearts), damage taken is reduced by 1.0, which caps out at a total of 3.0 reduced damage. At three hearts left, a diamond sword is only gonna knock off 1.5 hearts.

Liquidator | Price: 3000 Gems
    After falling in love with the song Smooth Criminal, he’s dedicated his life to climbing through windows and asking Annie if she is okay… with a knife.

Armor: None

Arsenal: Diamond Sword (Sharpness 1) Invisibility Powder (gunpowder) Hidden Blade (Shears)

Invisibility Powder: Use this nifty little trinket to bend the vision of your enemies to your will, rendering you invisible to them temporarily. With great power comes great making this not overpowered, though, so your speed is removed while invisible. The invisibility lasts 15 seconds and takes 40 seconds to fully recharge. Cannot recharge while being used and does not start recharging until 5s after its use ends. You can still be hit with arrows during this and receive negative/positive effects from AoE skills. You cannot carry the flag while invisible.

Hidden Blade: Sneak up behind some unsuspecting sucker while invisible, pull out your fancy hidden blade. The hidden blades durability starts at 0, so the bar is empty. Hold right click for two seconds to charge it up to full, then when it’s full whack someone from behind with it within a second to instantly deal 8 whopping hearts of true damage. That’s a lot of damage. Your invisibility is removed upon hitting someone with the blade, though, so finish them off fast. If you fail to use the blade you’ll prick yourself with it and lose 2 hearts, your invisibility will end and you will have to wait a few seconds to receive your speed. Run, Barry, run!

Magus | Price: 3000 Gems
    The magus is a man of mystery and is all about the art of magic. Rumor has it that he mastered the elements at the ripe age of 11. Take that, Aang!

Armor: Full Chain

Arsenal: Stone Hoe (Sharp 5) Redstone Dust, Clay, Lapis Lazuli, Ghast Tear.

Atrophy: Right clicking with your stone hoe shoots a wither head relative to where you are looking. It explodes and hits everything in a 5 block radius, capping at 6 damage, but with very high knockback. Excellent for crowd control! Cooldown of 6 seconds

Conflagration: Right click your redstone dust to shoot some fiery balls of havoc at your enemies! This fires 3 blaze fireballs wherever you are looking The fireballs do 4 damage each on direct hit or 2 damage each in a 3 block radius if the hit a block and explode. Cooldown of 9 seconds

Tempest: Right click (noticing a trend?) your ghast tear to call upon the power of the wind to blow your foes! The enticing promise of a blow pulls enemies within 6 blocks of you towards with a very high velocity, dealing 4 damage from the force. Cooldown of 12 seconds.

Ensnare: Use your clay to turn the ground below your cursor within a limited range into quicksand. This prevents them from moving or jumping and gives them a damage over time effect doing 1 damage per second, the trap is elongated the more they try to escape, capping at 10 seconds. Base time is 4 seconds. Cooldown of 11 seconds + 2 seconds for every second elongated by.

Monsoon: Using your lapis sends a wave of water in all directions around you, forcing anyone hit backwards and damaging them for 6 damage. Cooldown of 9 seconds.

Achievements and achievement kit coming soon....

Changelog
    September 25, 2018 - Thread created

Game created by Necrai and Incomp. Credit to @Dva for the art.
    Names, kits and everything else is subject to change.
    This game was created specifically for Bedrock, but is also adaptable to Java.

Posted Sep 25, 2018,
    Last edited Sep 25, 2018
    Segwat, Yato, Sophie_OGrady and 4 others like this.
  2. I really like the concept of this. The game has a solid foundation that can be improved upon as time goes on. It is not too complex which is good for bedrock. By keeping it fairly simple, I believe more players would be engaged in this game. Keep up the great work dude!

Also, is there a price for the Liquidator kit? Or is it free :P

Posted Sep 25, 2018
    Ethan likes this.
  3. This is an outstanding idea mate, for bedrock this'd be quality. I know this isn't targeted for Java at all but I personally believe that with some sort of Play to Win/upgrade aspect to the game it could be a big hit on Java. I personally feel like the Champions mechanics are somewhat outdated and players are opting for a unique experience (I for sure am), this is amazing. If this were implemented on Java, I believe there should be modes with different maps (3v3, 6v6, 10v10, 20v20), I know to get these players seems extremely unrealistic but it'd be pretty cool imo.

Posted Sep 25, 2018
    Ethan likes this.
  4. Fixed kit pricing, thanks for feedback as well.

The game was made with mostly Bedrock in mind, but I do also think that it'd work nicely in Java. The problem is we already have Champions CTF, so adding a second CTF gamemode, even wildly different, would seem repetitive.
    The unique modes idea is nice, probably not 20v20 though. 3v3, 6v6 and 10v10 seem cool.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 25, 2018
    Sophie_OGrady and KFCGraphics like this.
  5. I think it might be better with a neutral flag, rather than team base flags. Kits are cool, but I think it would be easier to not have kits with abilities, or to use kits similar to Heroes of GWEN (since the mechanics for those kits are already on Java, and it would be easier and more consistent developer-wise).

I think the amount of points is a bit large. If you have an insane blowout game in CTF, it takes 5 flag caps. This game would require 7 flag caps, or for those same 5 flag caps.... 80 kills. I think this would just lead to games that would feel like they drag on and on. 1k points might be a bit better IMO.

Would also be a good idea to come up with an overtime system, as it would be possible for teams to be even on points when the game would otherwise end.

Posted Sep 26, 2018
  6. Could it just be that when players pick up flags, the flag carrier's compass points back to your own base? Seems a bit more useful than spinning around.

Posted Sep 26, 2018
    Ethan and Crash like this.
  7. What about the nearest teammate, or having some sort of GUI interface to point towards flags, like on Java? Would be really cool if it was possible.

Posted Sep 26, 2018
    Vocaloiid likes this.
  8. 1) It'd probably need testing to find out which was better, two team flags or a neutral mid flag.
    2) The kits are made for assisting Bedrock players in the game. Bedrock has weird pvp mechanics, and a lot of the players are using a phone or console which makes it harder to PvP - Things like the Beefcakes inherent knockback and damage mitigation are made to help those players. Other examples: Sniper's Shutdown provides archers playing on the harder to aim consoles with a rewarding kill or 5 hearts of true damage on a certain distance shot being hit; Liquidator rewards patience and one good hit with massive damage.
    3) That's a good point - 1k is probably a better number.

Actually a good idea. That part was supposed to just be a bit of a meme but yea, I'll get around to updating it.

Not sure about the possibility of this on Bedrock, but yea that'd be cool if possible. I'll see

Another thing: More than a few people have mentioned they'd like this concept on Java, what do you guys think?

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 28, 2018
    Sophie_OGrady likes this.
  9. I think in that case, it would be better to just adjust PvP, in general, to try and make it better for players, rather than creating entirely new kits for the sole purpose of making the PvP in it enjoyable. That isn't something that should be restricted to certain kit choices at all IMO.

Posted Sep 28, 2018
  10. Well not only are the kits catering to players, but they’re also an integral part of what makes the game unique and fun. Without the kits unique to this particular rendition, what would set this apart from any other copy paste CTF game? Sure, there’s still different gameplay mechanics but fun kits are a big part of enjoyment from these pvp modes.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Oct 27, 2018
    florence ♡ and Sophie_OGrady like this.
  11. I personally would like to see this on Java more than Bedrock, since I feel like the mechanics are a bit too complicated for players who play on their mobile devices or the Switch. The difficult thing with creating Bedrock games is that players on all platforms should, in theory, have the same advantages or at least similar chances of winning regardless of their platform. That unfortunately isn't the case with all games, but at least the mechanics of the current games on MP are simple enough that they can work fine on all platforms and still be enjoyable.

I like the concept that you have going on here! I have never really liked CTF on Mineplex since it's basically just Champions kits with a flag. Maybe it's just because I'm not great at Champions haha. I like that you have dedicated kits with specific and clearly defined roles, such as a medic and one focused purely on taking damage. I'd love to be able to test this game idea in the future :)

Posted Oct 28, 2018