• 494 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 4646 Players Online
  • 4152 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Processed Fix Community Ban Command

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by Paladise, Oct 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Right now there is no cooldown timer on community ban / unban commands meaning any players is able to spam another person's chat. Considering that this doesn't show up in /reports, and mods can't automatically ban for it, you have to wait a couple of hours for a forum report to be accepted. I propose one of the following so players don't have their chat spammed for 3 hours straight:

• Add a 1 week or 1 day cooldown between using that command on a certain person. Introduce a 1 day cooldown if a person has already used the command 3 times on the same player.
    • Make it so person being banned / unbanned doesn't see that they're are banned or unbanned. Make it a preference.

Posted Oct 4, 2020,
    Last edited Oct 5, 2020
    Susie and Young_Inventor like this.
  2. I disagree with the cooldown timer part. It would limit the usage of those commands and would make moderating communities much harder than how it currently is. Since you didn't specify when the timer would get activated, I'm going to assume there's going to be one for each of the two commands.

Banning someone from a community and not being able to unban them again for one week/day would be frustrating, as I can see someone accidentality banning a wrong person, and that person wouldn't be able to join back straight away because of a cooldown. The same goes for unban command. If a player was recently unbanned after being banned and then invited back to the community, they wouldn't be able to get banned from it again for a week which means they could easily cause issues like spamming chat and the owners wouldn't be able to do anything about it.

The second proposal doesn't sound as bad, perhaps it could get turned into a pref setting instead so players would be able to turn on and off community ban and unban notifications (just like how you're already able to turn off notifications for community invites)

In the end, I do agree that this is an issue and something should be done, but I don't feel like limiting a command's functionality in order to fix this issue is something that would benefit the whole community.

Posted Oct 4, 2020
    okDamien, Paladise and anna. like this.
  3. Hey there!
    This definitely is an interesting idea, but I don't think this would be a great addition to the current community set up. By the looks of things, this particular idea simply restricts the host from using the command for it's purpose. Removing players from the server only really happens when it is needed, and it isn't really common. I'd say that banning players from a community is necessary, and in cases where there are bot spams and other sorts of hiccups with players, you wouldn't want to see a week cooldown to remove players that should be removed on spot.

The second proposal is quite interesting, but I'd have to disagree with it as well. I think that players should be notified when removed so that they can understand what they did to be removed, but at the same time, what klobby said above also seems like a good idea. Perhaps having a seperate /pref for it would be great. Either way, I think that restricting community hosts to remove players should not be an option. [​IMG]

Posted Oct 5, 2020
    Paladise and anna. like this.
  4. Simple fix to me. Introduce a 1 day cooldown after someone has been banned/unbanned 3 times within a short span of time.

Prevents spam but allows for the possibility that somebody misclicked.

Posted Oct 5, 2020
    Sunny / Slash and Paladise like this.
  5. As Tours said;
    I don't agree with this idea either. The issue you described seems like it wouldn't really happen all too often anyways, and I actually heard you were doing the exact same thing to another player, so its kinda funny to me that you would suggest this. (Unless of course the player who mentioned it was incorrect-if so I apologize for mentioning it)

Overall I'm going to give a -1 on both ideas, since, (as others have said) it seems like a bad idea to restrict the command.

Posted Oct 5, 2020
  6. Yeah, perhaps only the second proposal can be taken into account with the proposed preference option. As for the first option, I agree with what james610 has in mind:

I'm saying that there should be a week cooldown between using it. So a person could use the ban command immediately, but would have to wait a week to use it again ON THE SAME PERSON. But like I have stated above, perhaps there can be some additional features to make it more versatile.

Before starting or spreading rumors, I suggest you actually have evidence of me doing such a thing. And if I were, feel free to submit a report @ Mineplex.com/reports. Keep in mind the 20 staff members that are coleaders within my community that would be able to witness me using any of the community commands.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Oct 5, 2020,
    Last edited Oct 5, 2020
    Susie likes this.
  7. Actually I'm not starting rumors as I said "I heard" not "you did". I also stated that the person I heard it from may have been lying, and I was sorry for mentioning it if so. (Key word "heard")
    Maybe the comment was unnecessary but in no way did I EVER start a rumor about you.
    Please read my whole post next time before accusing me of starting rumors, and if you still feel I am then feel free to gather evidence and report me.
    Edit: I love how you edited the original post after realizing you falsely accused me.

So for this, you could still use Tours' example. Lets say you ban a person from the com and since you have to wait a week to use it again, someone else does something to get banned BEFORE that week is over, and then they can't get banned because the command is limited.

Posted Oct 5, 2020,
    Last edited Oct 5, 2020
    ilyLegend likes this.
  8. I disagree with this idea for similar reasons stated above, the command shouldn't be reduced in its abilities just because of people abusing it. You should submit a forum report if this ever happens to you and just be as patient as possible, however, I don't think an entire system should be altered due to a few people abusing it. It would be a waste of developer time to detract them from focusing on more important issues in my opinion. Thanks for the idea though and good luck getting it processed.

Posted Oct 7, 2020
    Ryan9116 and anna. like this.
  9. Hi again, will be marking this thread as Processed and locking it, as your suggestion has been proposed in the Java Social Update Proposal:
    • Community Ban Command
      • Adding a cooldown to bans on the same person + make ban messages a /pref
    Thread Locked ➵ Processed

Posted Mar 5, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.