• 992 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 6503 Players Online
  • 5511 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Fall Damage

Discussion in 'Runner' started by joshah, Jul 6, 2020.

1. At its core, Runner is all about parkour and your ability to conserve blocks to survive the longest. Because of this, I think that fall damage doesn't add all that much to the game mode. If you survive at the upper layer for most of the game using your parkour skills, just to fall all the way to the bottom and lose all or most of your health, a big chunk of concept is taken away from the game itself. Removing fall damage would cause players to die for missing a jump instead of fall damage, allowing Runner's original concept of parkour and usage of kits to be the main, or even only focuses of the game.

Posted Jul 6, 2020
    Snowing_ and Polar8 like this.
  2. Falling down from the top layer to the bottom layer and losing a large proportion of your health doesn't negatively impact gameplay that much. There are only two ways in which it does: firstly, you could die by having a block fall on your head. In GI, we decided that falling block damage was unhealthy for the game and so we have proposed to remove it, so that would no longer be an issue. Secondly, you could die from fall damage if you subsequentially tried to leap back up to the previous layer and failed. This would be a mechanical misplay on your part, and so I think it would be a reasonable and justified way to die.

If there are any maps that would instantly kill you if you fell from the top layer to the bottom layer while having full health, that would be considered a map issue, and you can report it as such.

Posted Jul 6, 2020
    Truthhs and Polar8 like this.
  3. As @Xukuwu said, I don't think having fall damage negatively impacts the gameplay. Fall damage hasn't given me any negative gameplay experience in Runner.

It's not too common that you would simply fall to the bottom in Runner. But I can see that fall damage, in general, may ruin the Runner experience due to it being irritating to some people, but I think it's fine because it also adds a bit of challenge to the game and punishes players if they didn't move away from the area with the blocks that were decayed below them. Even if only the very bottom layer is there and they fall, they weren't able to move quickly enough to prevent falling to the very bottom, and they die to fall damage.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Posted Jul 6, 2020
  4. I also don't really see where fall damage has a large effect on the game. I don't recall any time where I fell from the top row to the bottom and died as a result of fall damage. Sure, it does take quite a bit of your health, but health isn't really all that important in a game like Runner. Maybe if you are continuously leaping and taking fall damage you may then run into an instance where you die from it, but I don't feel this is very common, especially with the leap having a cooldown. In those rare cases, I think it works since it prevents players from spamming leap constantly as well. I think fall damage in the game is fine how it is.

Posted Jul 7, 2020
  5. Hello.

Personally, I feel like this make the game more interesting and challenging. There is always new tactics for the game runner.

Posted Jul 7, 2020