• 1527 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 9904 Players Online
  • 8377 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Expand the hover option for ranks

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by Cwossaint, Sep 30, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Hi everyone!

So I was in lobby 1 chilling and this idea came up to me while I was chatting with rosmeme about Quality Assurance lol

So we all know how when you hover over a rank tag it gives information about the rank. For staff members, hovering explains there job.

One thing that I think would be make things more organized would be for Senior mods and above. My idea is to add what specific sr mod team that specific player is in in the hovering option and also explain what there job is AS a sr mod member in that team. This way, people won't need to ask the staff member questions like 'What do Community management staff even do??' 'what sr mod team are you in'.

I don't see really any issues with this problem, no issues should come about this but then again, I'm not a dev so I can't for sure say how easy or difficult it would be to carry this idea out. A lot of the time too, I get multiple +1's but no actions are carried out.

Thanks everyone!

Cwossaint

Posted Sep 30, 2020
  2. Great idea Cow’s Sailor!

+1

Posted Sep 30, 2020
    Anna-Marie likes this.
  3. Just isn't possible to do. While some senior mods have sub ranks in-game that could theoretically make it possible, some do not and only have their senior mod rank, so it would not be possible to display what team they are on by hovering over.

Posted Sep 30, 2020
    Loofii, Amg_ and Cwossaint like this.
  4. But the only reason that they actually have that tag is because they are apart of a specific team right.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 30, 2020
  5. Correct, but the way that the system works is by defining whatever rank you are hovering over. Because all Sr.Mods have the same rank give (and only can have different permissions based off subranks), it isn't possible to display each team for each person.

Posted Sep 30, 2020
  6. Yes, but what jacob is saying is that the server doesn’t know what team they’re on.

Posted Sep 30, 2020
    Anna-Marie and Cwossaint like this.
  7. It may be impossible right now, but what if all Senior Moderators were given sub-ranks ingame? It's not something hard to do by the admins of their team, pretty quick and could be useful for ideas like this.. It's not a "impossible," it's the fact that they COULD add an invisible sub-rank to every Senior Mod in game.

Before any other staff comment saying this would be too much work, no. Admins get paid to do work on Minecraft servers, and putting in a simple command for them to add users to an invisible sub-rank would be quite easy on them, and the developers.

+1 on the idea!

Posted Sep 30, 2020
    Anna-Marie likes this.
  8. So what if we had it so that the server separates the sr mod team members similar to how they separate players into ranks. I see your point about how it's not possible atm but like their should be ways so that we can individually change the hover tag for the sr mod teams. There arent 'many players per senior mod team either.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 30, 2020
    Anna-Marie likes this.
  9. I think this is a great idea! I have seen plenty of people asking questions in chat throughout my time on Mineplex asking what each Senior Moderator team is, and it would be much easier instead of replying every individual time, for a player to be able to hover over and see a description of the team they are on.

While this would be nice, as jacvb said, this would be difficult to implement unless you give each staff member a "ghost" rank, but even then this might not be worth the development effort. An alternative option to this I came up with is add a command for example "/srmod" which shows a description of each team and what they do. With this in place, all a staff member would have to do if someone asks is tell them to type "/srmod" or something along the lines of that and they could quickly see a description of every team.

Still a great idea regardless, hopefully something like this gets added. Nice idea!

- Lucas

Posted Oct 1, 2020
    Cwossaint likes this.
  10. Admins aren't devs, they'd need to find dev time for this to be implemented. Assuming that it's only down to the admins is wrong, admins lead their team they don't make the new content for the server.

What's the point in adding an invisible sub-team to the user if it doesn't do anything? It's a waste of dev time just to show what subteam they're on when they hover over your rank in chat when they can easily going to mineplex.com/staff and find out. It's not hard, you're not wrong there, but it definitely is not worth it.

Also for all that it matters, some staff members have more than one subteam in-game, so that'd just bug the system out and cause all sorts of errors (Some examples are QA, they have the Event Squad subteam, and most recruiters have the Staff Management subteam whilst they're not necessarily on staff management)

@jacvb is right, at the moment it's not possible and I don't see it becoming possible in the near future because making it possible is impractical and not worth the dev time.

Posted Oct 1, 2020
    jacvb likes this.
  11. devs get paid too, heliology. I don’t think you know how simple it is to make an invisible rank, it takes minutes. This feature is important. People need to know what the job of Senior Mods are, it can easily be done especially for devs doing no work atm.

Posted Oct 1, 2020
  12. I am well aware that developers get paid, I've been playing on this server for years. You have to remember though, devs are never doing "nothing", they're constantly working on new updates and new content for the network. It may take them a lifetime to actually push these updates, but they are working on it.

For you to claim that it takes minutes to add in is stupid, you have no idea how the Mineplex java engine works or how easy it'd be to add something like this in. If people want to know what the job of a Senior Mod is, they can check mineplex.com/staff.

Posted Oct 1, 2020
  13. do you really think kids would take the time to go all the way to a website, scroll to find the exact staff member, then do research on that team? No. And yes, I do for a fact know that making ranks, especially ones without needing any permissions is easy to make. This is unless Mineplex somehow decided to complicate making ranks of course, which I hope isn’t the case. And I don’t think devs are always doing nothing, but I’d rather them spend 10 minutes a day working on a new feature that would help the community understand the staff team more than tiny bugs that don’t affect gameplay. Obviously major bugs should be prioritized, but an easy to make system would take much time.

Posted Oct 1, 2020
  14. Do I really think that they will? No. Do I think that it's their problem that they won't, because the information is already publicly available to them? Yes.

Again, you haven't seen the Mineplex codebase, and cannot comment on whether something would be easy or hard, you are not a dev and never have been a dev. As for it taking "10 minutes", Just based on the fact that previous updates that have been said to be "easy" have taken a lot longer than 10 minutes, this point is extremely ignorant.

I would much rather a developer spend time on new game content than spend their time creating invisible, useless subranks for Senior Mods when their teams are already publicly available.

Posted Oct 1, 2020
  15. the point here is that this is what the community wants, not what the staff or friends of staff think is “best and what’s not best for mineplex”. This isn’t even close to a hard project, and they can work on this in their free time. I’m stating this again, kids are mineplex’s playerbase. Kids do not want to spend 5 minutes trying to look up everything, and plus the mineplex.com/staff page doesn’t even show what each team does (at least isn’t clear). It shows the members on each team. If players wanted to find info about teams, they would have to ask a staff member or find a thread about it. It would be much easier to have an internal minecraft feature for players to see what each team does, I’m not gonna argue about this anymore lmao

Posted Oct 1, 2020
  16. It's a feature that could improve ease of access, yes. But you're forgetting that when it comes to practicability, it doesn't matter at all what the community think, or want. If an idea that has been suggested is impractical and not worth the development time, regardless of how small the update actual is, it should not even be considered.

You can again claim that it's not close to being a hard project, I won't disagree with you there because I haven't seen the codebase myself and can't comment on that either, but you cannot claim that it'd only take a specific amount of time. As for working in their free time, Devs have other stuff to do in their free time, and when they're not free they're working on new content and things that are practical and actually deserve to be added to the network.

Posted Oct 1, 2020
  17. here’s a big thing which might be affecting mineplex’s player count across the years that you stated: “it doesn’t matter at all what the community thinks, it’s up to it being practical or not”. That quote right there explains it all. It should matter what the community thinks, even if we are arguing on a simple idea, the community wants this. Seriously, developers are paid to work on Mineplex and are controlled by Mineplex management. You guys need to learn to listen to the community more, simple ideas or not. Think about other servers, unless Mineplex wants to be known and quoted for “doesn’t matter what the community thinks, it’s up to the guys sitting in their chair at home that are getting paid about what they want or don’t want”.

Posted Oct 1, 2020
    Cwossaint and Anna-Marie like this.
  18. Both of you guys are commenting a lot about how Developers are busy people and it seems impractical to implement this technique. I agree, Developers are VERY busy people especially considering there are 5 devs for a server that gets around 10k members a day. This idea should definitely not be first priority on there mile long list of things to do, but it was just a suggestion as to what we can do to implement ease of access and simplicity in Mineplex.
    I'm going to be honest, Heliology and Andr3w both state excellent points and if its possible, then the idea deserves to be reviewed by the leadership team. I'm sure that there are countless number of threads that have gotten multiple +1's so of course the leadership team can't review every single one of them considering at the moment we only have 2 Leaders but like Andr3w stated, the team can't just say they like it or don't like unless they have a serious and constant issue that could arise when testing or implementing the specific strategy. For all Minecraft servers, in my opinion wouldn't it be smarter to give what the communities wants, which could a) potentially increase player counts per day, b) Please the community its currently in , and c) motivate other players to comment more ideas.
    I'm straying away from the topic at hand but the point i'm trying to make is, if its possible, it should be a an option. Even if its 'difficult' or too much work, it should definitely be an idea that gets reviewed regardless of difficulty size.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Oct 1, 2020
    Anna-Marie and andr3w like this.
  19. Do you understand what impracticability means? Because based on the responses I struggle to believe you understand the meaning of the word and you're just completely running over the meaning of what I'm saying.

If the idea that is suggested is not practical, possible or worth development time to add to the network, it shouldn't be considered, especially if it's only a visual change and is only displaying information somewhere else when it's already publicly displayed.

I never said that the communities opinion is irrelevant in general, but when it comes down to the idea that the idea is not practical at all to implement onto the server, it is not something that developers should be considering.

Posted Oct 1, 2020
  20. Unfortunately things like this never get solved. Most posts talking about mineplex’s flaws, or giving feedback about things get removed or locked for “unnecessary drama”. It’s just a thing all staff are taught to be, fully on mineplex’s side having the same opinions at all times. Can’t take feedback for years, still can’t till this day. A week or two ago, a WALL POST joking about staff on a friends wall got removed for “Unneeded - calling staff bots”. This may be completely irrelevant to this idea, but it’s something that needs to be brought up.

Posted Oct 1, 2020
    Anna-Marie likes this.