• 1971 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 1971 Players Online
  • 0 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Not Planned Editing reports

Discussion in 'Website Feedback' started by coralines, Oct 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suggesting to add an option to edit reports by the OP before they get locked or handled by a staff member.
    (Something to prevent possible spelling mistakes or in case we forgot to mention the chatsnap limit being reached.)

Posted Oct 11, 2018
    PeytonSam and millenium200 like this.
  2. Hmm this can be done. I'll leave this up to @Wanderer to decide. I'm personally leaning on no since I don't want the report or any application to be edited once it's submitted. This would encourage people to treat the player report/application more seriously.

Posted Oct 12, 2018
  3. I'm leaning towards "why not". It's not impossible for more adequate evidence against a rule-breaker to be gathered before thread lock.
    The lack of edit functionality might make those threads more serious, yes, however it isn't all bad.

Posted Oct 12, 2018
  4. I'm impartial to the ideal, honestly. I see how this could be beneficial if you gather extra evidence or there was a spelling mistake in your original submission, however it will also create opportunities to remove necessary information and for trolls.

The main downside I see is players editing it to remove the format and by doing that removing crucial information from the report. They can use this to troll staff or even by mistake. It can make the report look messy if people use it to change the report a lot, and I just think it will make reports harder to deal with.

I also believe some users will use it to remove their IP from the post, considering it's something I've seen people unhappy about being displayed. I know this wouldn't prevent their IP being seen through edit logs, etc, but it also is something I don't think players should have the ability to do.

Weighing up both sides of this, I'd have to say the negatives outweigh the positives unfortunately.

Posted Oct 12, 2018
  5. I honestly think this would be so useful, for example just this morning I incorrectly spelled a users name on a report I submitted, and was not able to change it because when I noticed it I had already submitted.

I think it would be useful to maybe prevent editing but allow replies to threads that we have created so we can provide that additional information. Or, add a "Add Notes" button to allow us to attach a small note to a thread adding evidence or correcting a username spelling mistake (If that's possible, I'm sure it is).

I could see an issue being with allowing replies to a thread creating spam and making the original report harder to view for people who choose to spam their report threads. But, if possible the second thing I said which was an "Add Notes" button which would basically allow us to add a small note for the responding staff member to see that wouldn't be posted on the thread but rather on a drop down menu on the thread or something along those lines. Just an idea, not sure how easy it would be to create.

Posted Oct 12, 2018
    tuxxed, coralines and Sophie_OGrady like this.
  6. 100% for something like this instead.

I think the easiest option would be to allow replies to the thread (until it gets dealt with by a staff member), as that wouldn't require anything custom. It prevents the issues I outlined above and it would be super helpful in correcting any mistakes or clarifying anything, or even extra evidence. The 'Add Notes' button would have to be custom made, I believe. I feel like it's a lot more work for something that allowing replies would have the same effect, and I think that's the best option.

Posted Oct 12, 2018
    BeeInc likes this.
  7. It’s an application, not a thread, so only things you could add prior would have the option to be edited (being name, offense, evidence, and additional stuff)

So like the old application/admin comment? Yeah that sounds good too, although it could lead to a bunch of spam to be honest, but yeah, I’m okay with that too.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Oct 13, 2018
  8. I'm gonna say I'm generally a bit opposed to allowing editing. I'll look into and deal with the /chatsnap rule in the neat future as it has become a bit inconvenient to enforce while the project is on the back-burner and has no ETA in sight. Otherwise the only thing to remain is correcting an username or adding in additional evidence? At that point the player is able to just wait out the conclusion on their current report and re-submit it with additional evidence if what they provided is sufficient.

So overall, at this point, I don't see that much use coming out of this idea.

Posted Nov 12, 2018
    Sickle likes this.
  9. The main use of this idea being implemented would be to add the chatsnap requirement on our report, as that's something a lot of players forget when submitting a report including myself. If the requirement to mention this in a report was removed (until the command was fixed) I don't believe editing a report is something that's required.

Posted Nov 13, 2018
    Wanderer likes this.
  10. I have had to make entirely new reports that are almost an exact copy of another report due to the fact I may have misspelled a players name. So then the mods have to deny that first one and then tell me I need to make a new report or whatever or tell me what I put in wrong..... and then it's just a flippin' hassle. I would love to go back and edit any mistakes I made before it's brought before the mods....

Posted Nov 21, 2018
  11. This could cause a lot of issues though I am for the idea assuming there's a time limit or something.

Posted Nov 23, 2018
  12. We won't be adding the ability to edit reports. We need the evidence that is originally there to stay there for forged reports, self-reports, or just, in general, to see the evidence and look back on it. Time limit or not, this would become an issue for the reports patrol team. Additionally, we don't see "editing before claimed" would be agreed upon by Owners.

We MIGHT allow people to be able to reply to their own reports, but only before the report has been claimed. I'll update this thread with more info if this is ever approved or not.

This will be marked as not planned and locked. Message me with questions or concerns.

Posted Nov 21, 2020
    Adrenaline likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.