• 0 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • Players Online
  • 0 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

don't lock denied ideas :sunglases:

Discussion in 'Forum Discussion' started by ole, Dec 6, 2018 at 11:40 AM.

1. ole

ole

denied ideas can give grounds for further reflection and development and hence should not be locked. if bill locked his career post trafodata i would've been writing this on a degenerate fruit computer. by all mean, i aint gonna stand in ur way if u'd like to deny trafodata, but u shouldn't deny microsoft

Posted Dec 6, 2018 at 11:40 AM
    iUseIntel, Sophie_OGrady and Fall like this.
  2. MelonHead15

MelonHead15

I disagree if ideas deny it could lead to arguing which will lead to unnecessary arguments if you have had your idea refined and edited post a new thread.

Posted Dec 6, 2018 at 11:45 AM
    Oscaros_ and _Prof_ like this.
  3. ole

ole

if the sole way of improving an idea was for the person behind it to develop it further we wouldn't need a forum at all from my point of view : /

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Dec 6, 2018 at 12:10 PM
    Fall likes this.
  4. Lionatthezoo

Lionatthezoo

Hello,
    your idea has both negatives and positives. Firstly, as you have said if we did not lock the threads people could develop their ideas and share opinions with other people. However, we could then be faced with old threads and ideas being kept alive for too long.
    There are more negatives and positives but for me those are the main ones. Threads are locked for a reason and removing the locking system could cause too many issues. One being people becoming angry and arguing against the idea being denied.
    In conclusion I have to disagree with the idea at this point, however, you could persuade me to agree with you if you can resolve the issues above.

Posted Dec 6, 2018 at 12:21 PM
  5. Zipppo

Zipppo

Hello!
    Denied threads are locked but you can still view them at any point, you still have the chance to reflect on the ideas and discussion which have been said. If an idea has been denied, there's a reason so there's no need for further conversation about it. If we denied it and then allowed more comments to be made, other suggestions would come in and unnecessary arguments about the it being denied could happen. If you have an improved version of a suggestion that you hope to be considered then the best thing to do is to create another thread.

Unless an idea that has been denied for a specific reason and has been suggested before - we never deny straight away. There's always time given to see the discussion occur and take note of the different opinions on an idea.

Posted Dec 6, 2018 at 12:25 PM
    Unfavorited likes this.
  6. Unfavorited

Unfavorited

Hey!

to better clarify how a denied idea works, usually ideas are denied when either they were denied in the past for reasons, impossible to bring in, time-consuming for little change, etc. We don't deny ideas that we don't like or we think aren't good enough. We take a look at every single idea posted and give our discussion. We also have people like T3Hero who looks through our trello board and ideas on forums telling you if it's possible or won't be added for reasons.

We take every idea into consideration in which follows the process of being denied or processed. Keeping denied ideas open could lead to a future argument. Anyways, when we deny an idea there is no need for further discussion since we reached a decision. If you would like, you are always welcome to message the ideas team management or member to further inform you why an idea is denied! Hope this clarifies.

Posted Dec 6, 2018 at 12:36 PM
  7. Wiz_Techno

Wiz_Techno

• This user has been warned for Trolling
    Hello,

Unfortunately i will be denying your idea as it will spend development time.

Thread Locked > Idea Denied.

But seriously I’ll make a real response later

Posted Dec 6, 2018 at 12:52 PM
    ole likes this.
  8. ole

ole

heck ,yeah i suppose im demanding too much considering how this is a blockgame community mainly consisting of children :weary:

could've put the requirement that the discussion had to progress at a certain pace in order for the thread not to be locked, but again i suppose brain development could be an issue

i aint talking about conversation about the idea itself, but rather conversation as a result of said idea

may i ask how u currently deal with DMs including such content directed towards the denying staff member ?? got a feeling we have a potential solution for our issue there

see my response to @MelonHead15

yes and that's good. yet there's room for improvement imo

yes i fully understand that mp cannot implement rubbish (coughhahahahahahahahahaahahah) but the fact that an idea in its original state as an idea is poor does not mean it's poor in the sense of making the fundament for new ideas

... about the idea in its state at the time of the denial

that's a quite tricky way of constructively discussing with other forum users innit

LOOOOOOOL YES N THANKS

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Dec 6, 2018 at 1:00 PM
  9. WOWUS_MAXIMUS2

WOWUS_MAXIMUS2

does this also apply to bug fixes or...?

Posted Dec 6, 2018 at 3:26 PM
    ole likes this.
  10. _Prof_

_Prof_

I don't think keeping ideas threads unlocked (even after denial) is the solution for staff reflecting upon it as a starting point for a new update. You don't necessarily have to respond to them, just reading it will light a light bulb and locking threads doesn't mean it can't be read. The main reason for ideas threads being locked is to show that the idea has been denied as for then. Keeping them unlocked forever does no good in the long run as it gives players chances to necro-post (which again, the thread would be locked due to that reason). Staff's decisions are final and players still commenting on it doesn't achieve anything.

Report a User | Report a Bug | Apply For Java Trainee | Rules| My Profile

Posted Dec 6, 2018 at 3:56 PM,
    Last edited Dec 6, 2018 at 4:10 PM
  11. ole

ole

me neither, hence why that's not my point. i'd like to keep them over for the average forumer to be able to discuss

something there has to be other just as efficient ways to show ==> ergo the supposed main argument against this itself is in fact poor

then lock it for that reason mate, equally with every other forum post

... final as for the idea in its state as of the moment it is denied.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Dec 6, 2018 at 4:24 PM
  12. Oscaros_

Oscaros_

I don't agree with not locking idea suggestions after they've been denied.

1: the point of locking them is to stop a controversial debate, there's no point in keeping the thread open if it can't be changed since it's already been processed or denied. Instead, I suggest making a new thread with a heavily revised & edited version, and mentioning it's a new thread of this idea addressing why it got denied.
    2:
    we lock them to stop continuous disscusion. That forum is always being used for new ideas, if threads literally never get locked it will be chaos and people will keep on replying to ideas from September that may have been denied for good reasons.

So from those points, I don't want this to be changed! Thanks for bringing your concerns up, however.​

Posted Dec 6, 2018 at 4:35 PM
    _Prof_ likes this.
  13. ole

ole

r u l e s

disagree. it'd allow further discussion, which is indeed a point from my perspective

though where would u do that if u had nowhere to and develop discuss this idea the new thread is based on

we banned freedom of speech to stop the development of political ideologies

adding new inputs and developing that new thread u mention in bold under point one

much appreciate ur input, this is how all the big changes in society started :sunglasses:

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Dec 6, 2018 at 4:43 PM
  14. Unfavorited

Unfavorited

No, I am solely talking about ideas here.

Posted Dec 6, 2018 at 4:52 PM
  15. tuxxed

tuxxed

I think it really comes down to how Ideas Team intends the forums to be used. At the moment, it acts as an area for ideas to be processed by the team (not that a ton of discussion doesn't happen too), and I can see how it could be an issue with workflow if denied/outdated threads cluttered the tens of threads that still require active processing. However, I don't think it matters either way, as a user, since you can get active discussion on threads in whatever section you want.

This also makes no sense
    There are very valid reasons why people would want to keep the section organized.

Posted Dec 6, 2018 at 5:31 PM
  16. EmmaLie

EmmaLie

We have an entire process of how we keep track of and respond to Ideas, locking threads is a part of that process because it's difficult for us to keep up with all of the threads you guys post and chances are, the idea won't get implemented unless big changes are made. In that case, you can always repost the thread, as long as you make changes based on what the idea got denied for.

Our DMs are always open if you want more information or if you have any concerns! :mineplex:

Posted Dec 6, 2018 at 5:47 PM
    Nicodami likes this.
  17. xPossum

xPossum

The forums are definitely a place for discussion about ideas, but generally the point of it is to further ideas that could one day be developed and added to the server. Many ideas, for whatever reason (difficult to develop, bad for PR, against the EULA, ect) don't ever make it onto the network, and for some it's because they can't. It wouldn't make sense to keep open a thread about an idea that breaks the EULA, because it simply couldn't be added and is not worth further discussing. Also keep in mind if you wan't to have a conversation about it we do have a Discord where a ton of discussion also takes place.

Posted Dec 6, 2018 at 5:48 PM
    _Prof_ likes this.
  18. SilvosTM

SilvosTM

I'm going to try and clear some things up from my point of view.

Just because threads have been locked due to being denied doesn't stop anyone from reflecting on their suggestion based on the outcome and feedback. Throughout the ideas section, it is made clear that if a member's suggestion is denied but they have listened to the feedback/outcome given and believe they have made improvements/changes that would counter the denial reason, then they are more than welcome to make a new thread for the team and everyone else to check out.

If we were to leave every denied thread unlocked, each sub section in the overall ideas section would just become clogged and it would just make our lives more difficult trying to keep track of every idea that is still in discussion on top of trying to keep an eye out if there has been any improvements for suggestions that have already been denied. It just wouldn't work with the tracking system as it is just now and changing it would just lead to more confusion..

Posted Dec 6, 2018 at 5:51 PM
    Zipppo, _Prof_ and Joiined like this.
  19. It shouldn't be locked right away, even if a mod has shot it down, I have many times had ideas or input that wasn't expressed, and because it was locked after one response I couldn't put it down, sometimes there are reasons for something that hasn't been said yet and may change it from being locked and looked at further

Posted Dec 6, 2018 at 6:15 PM
    _Prof_ likes this.
  20. Zipppo

Zipppo

This isn't decided by a mod simply shutting it down, locking threads is decided by members of the Ideas Team (management) - mods that aren't on Ideas cannot lock the thread. If it's an idea that is simply unrealistic and something we cannot implement without further discussion needed it will be locked - this doesn't happen too often as there's usually at least a few comments made about the thread before IT gets to it. If it is an idea that's been denied in the past and there has been no improvements made then it will also be denied and locked. If you feel like you could've added something to a thread to make everyone change their minds about whatever idea it was then as others have mentioned above I really recommend making a new thread about it.

Posted Dec 6, 2018 at 6:23 PM
    _Prof_ and SilvosTM like this.