• 102 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 1946 Players Online
  • 1844 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

[DOM] Reduce the number of players required to start a game

Discussion in 'Game Alterations' started by JoePCool14, Aug 25, 2022.

?

How many players should be required to start Dominate?

Poll closed Sep 8, 2022.
  1. 6

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. 8

10 vote(s)
    62.5%
  3. 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Hi all, a quick suggestion for the network.

It's exactly what the title says: change the number needed to start a round of Dominate from 10 to 6 players.

Please note, I'm not talking about the maximum number of players. This would be a simple change to make the game easier to start. While Dominate isn't the most balanced with only 3 players per team, I'd rather have a game that's slightly unbalanced to a game that can't even start. I believe the game currently requires the lobby to actually have the full 10 players at the moment, which is something that's not often achievable unfortunately. Changing the number of players needed to play might get more people to at least try the game out.

As a sort of compromise, maybe 8 players would also be a good change.

What do you think?

Posted Aug 25, 2022
  2. I think I've seen a thread suggesting a change to 8 players to start in the past. That's what I'd want. I don't really think 3v3 is unbalanced, I just think that would be better on a mps.

Posted Aug 25, 2022
  3. Yeah, I think that's fair. That's why I think even 8 would be a decent compromise. :)

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Aug 25, 2022
  4. Completely agree, I also believe 6 players may be too little for this kind of gamemode, but 8 players would be perfect. This would make it a lot easier for dominate queues to start, and could make the gamemode more active.

Posted Aug 26, 2022
  5. I'm not a DOM player but trying to get exactly 10 people can be quite frustrating, I think allowing a minimum of 8-10 would be perfect and I would assume this would be a relatively easy change on the development side. From how I see DOM games played, 6 would probably be too few.

Posted Aug 26, 2022
  6. Yeah, that's what makes it even tougher: the only acceptable number right now is exactly 10. No more, no less. So as an Eternal, I still can't join if it's full. I then have to hope that someone leaves before the next game starts.

Maybe the maximum could be bumped up to 12 as well. So effectively, DOM could be played with 8 to 12 players.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Aug 26, 2022
    BroActually likes this.
  7. Hey!

I've definitely seen this before, and I am all for it. It is incredibly annoying to get exactly 10 players to start a match. While in my opinion, for some of the maps 6 players may be a little low I do think 8-10 players would be great, just as Hazzer suggested.

Would love to see this change, and hopefully it happens in the near future!

Posted Aug 26, 2022
    danb76 and JoePCool14 like this.
  8. Yeah I cannot believe lower player counts have not been implemented to be honest, we simply do not have the playerbase we once had before, and people waiting hours for a game to start doesn't seem to be helping our playerbase either. I love the idea of having the player count lowered for Dominate as I really miss playing this gamemode :/ I think all games should just have a longer starting time with lower player counts (and then as the count increases the timer goes down, so at 6/10 it could take 2 minutes to start but if it's 8/10 it'll go down to 60 seconds etc), would love to see these games be announced in Lobby similar to UHC as well. Anyway that is my two cense :) Have a good day!

Posted Aug 27, 2022
  9. Completely agreed @danb76.

Most games on the network really need to see their minimum player count drop. There's many people who still love the games on Mineplex but often don't bother joining since their favorite games never start. Making it easier to start playing could bring some people back. My thread for DOM here is just one example.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Aug 27, 2022
  10. I used to be a huge DOM player awhile back and it really is disappointing how hard it can be to fill games now, especially casually. I personally feel that 6 would be too little, as I feel there's a possibility of the game becoming unbalanced with a 3v3 system without making any map or gameplay adjustments to deal with the lower number of players. Because of this, without making any adjustments to the game entirely, I feel a minimum starting point of 8 would work out really well. 4v4 from experience doesn't seem to be overly unbalanced by nature, and it's much easier to get started.

Posted Aug 27, 2022
  11. 3v3's a little few for that kinda gamemode with those size maps. 4v4 would be great though.

Posted Aug 27, 2022
  12. 6 players isn't ideal, but it comes down to the question of what's worse: a slightly subpar game due to having less players or not being able to play at all?

I'm not saying it would have to be 6 players. But it's just something to consider.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Aug 27, 2022
    BlazeFire likes this.
  13. This isn't the only game that could use a lower minimum player count either. It's such an easy change, they already did it with Castle Siege last December. IF they buy the server some extra time, it's the least they can do.

Posted Aug 27, 2022
    JoePCool14 likes this.