• 3454 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 11892 Players Online
  • 8438 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Discontinuing our Feature Upvote page

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by EmmaLie, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Community Management and I have decided to discontinue the Feature Upvote page due to issues we came across while using the platform. We take pride in always trying to improve the system on how we collect and process your feedback which is why we wanted to try out a platform like Feature Upvote. Even though it didn't work out in the end, I'm glad we tried it because it gave us further insight into what works the best for our community. Sometimes you gotta fail in order to figure out what's best for you.

What lessons have you and CoM learned from this experience?
    - We've always known that discussion is important but F^ solidified this fact. While F^ was a more casual setting and made it easy for players to drop their suggestions, it took away from discussion & interaction between our players and the staff team. Even though it's a few extra steps to create a forums account, I do think it's worth it for the experience you get.

- Adding a completely different platform to our arsenal spread CoM out a little too thin which meant less interaction on other platforms. From now on we'll be focusing on the platforms we already have.

- Because F^ was separate from the forums and anyone could submit anything without an account, a lot of the posts we got were either repeats of suggestions we've seen in the past, bug reports or questions for staff members. Even though it might result in fewer suggestions, we want platforms that will result in higher quality suggestions.

-Feature Upvote wasn't developed by us which meant we couldn't fix issues ourselves and had to rely on others to fix them. Anything we work on should be something we can actually manage so that we can deal with issues on our own.

Where did the suggestions on F^ go?
    -
    Don't worry, we went through everything and saved everything that isn't on our boards already. If you submitted something and need the response, feel free to message anyone on Community Management.

Now that Feature Upvote is gone, where can I submit my feedback and suggestions?
    - We actually have three places where you can submit your suggestions and get feedback from others. The forums is our main platform, with a specific section for ideas! We also have two discords. For a more casual setting, you can use the official Mineplex Discord. Just head on over to #java-ideas and send over your suggestion. For a quicker response, you can @ the feedback team. For a more discussion-based discord, you can join the Mineplex Community Insights server. You can message anyone on Community Management, @DanielW231 @rqil @Smaland47 and @lukafin for an invite.

Will you be looking into other options in the future?
    Yes but instead of something separate, it'll be upgrades to what we already have. Don't have any details on that right now though.

I know this was a lot to read but I felt like it was important to address everything rather than issuing a blanket statement. If you guys have any questions or concerns, feel free to reply to this thread or message anyone on CoM.

Posted Sep 8, 2019
  2. Glad to see things get more centralized on the forums.

Posted Sep 8, 2019
    Fall, Jango_55 and EmmaLie like this.
  3. It's abbreviated "FUN" Emily, not F^! "Feature Upvote Network".
    Grr you know this >:(
    Anyway, I'm glad it's being discontinued. It was a good idea however it didn't work out very well as we saw. Maybe we can consider dislikes on Ideas Section going forward however? I saw some suggestions about dislikes on the old Feature Upvote.

Posted Sep 8, 2019
    PapiKirito, Tours and nolawn like this.
  4. Hey there,

It's great to hear about updates that CoM has done lately and what feedback they have learned from it, I'm really excited for the future.

I honestly didn't really see a use for the up-vote system so I'm kind of happy that the team has managed to find different ways for community suggestions and suggestions in general, (not only one way but three to the alternative way that was removed).

@EmmaLie we don't talk about the previous response I posted before and deleted....

Kind regards
    - Sakeusi

Posted Sep 8, 2019
    EmmaLie likes this.
  5. I can't call it FUN because it reminds me of the spongebob song lol. We'll look into upvoting and downvoting in the ideas section for sure.
    LOL make sure you read what you're responding to before posting :eyes:

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 8, 2019
    florence ♡, Vocaloiid and Sakeusi like this.
  6. ._.

Lesson learned, I had several threads open and I thought I was typing in another one but I wasn't, that's on me...

slowly backs into a shadow

Posted Sep 8, 2019,
    Last edited Sep 8, 2019
    Yato likes this.
  7. I too have done that before...

Follows Sakeusi into a shadow

Posted Sep 8, 2019
    Sakeusi likes this.
  8. I think it will be sad at the beginning to see the Feature Upvote page no longer used by Mineplex, but I do understand the reasons why this has been removed as a feedback system for Mineplex, and I am sure the community will understand too. I am excited though that Community Management are going to explore other options later down the track that will involve the forums, because I love the forums so why not incorporate some more feedback systems into the forums!

Thanks for letting us know as well!

Posted Sep 8, 2019
    Yato, EmmaLie and Sakeusi like this.
  9. It's a shame the feature did not work out as intended, since I remember the hype around it and the big expectations the feedback team had for it, myself included. That being said, I agree that this is the best decision for CoM and the community in general. The forums is definitely the better platform for sharing ideas and giving feedback. I look forward to seeing what comes next!

Posted Sep 9, 2019
    EmmaLie and Vocaloiid like this.
  10. Hey Emily,

Thanks a lot for not ignoring the feedback me and others gave about F^. It means a lot that you can understand our point of view about CoM being spread too thin and I’m glad we’re centralizing.

thanks,
    Techno

Posted Sep 9, 2019
    EmmaLie likes this.
  11. Yooo

Im sorry to see the feature not work out but I can see the reasoning behind this. I think it would have been great but that’s how people improve I guess so no worries ! I wish you the best of luck in the next feature.

Frommm.,
    xCliniqaL_

Posted Sep 9, 2019
  12. This is ultimately for the best, and I'm glad CoM came to this conclusion. Hopefully, the discontinuation of Feature Upvote means we'll see higher quality discussion on the forums for people's ideas.

Posted Sep 9, 2019
    PapiKirito, Bunni and Wiz_Techno like this.
  13. It was a good idea but it just didn't work and I am glad that CoM realized this and has discontinued the platform. If anything, centralizing discussion and interaction is easier and eliminates the administrative burden shared by those who administer another platform and those who use it. I particularly liked how you (@EmmaLie) included a portion of the thread dedicated to lessons learned. As a result of any decision, I think it is important to realize that it failed but take away some positive lessons that can be applied to making existing practices better.

Posted Sep 9, 2019
    Bunni and EmmaLie like this.
  14. Not everything works out, and sadly this was not one of them. Realistically, this would have worked very well and could have become a great way to outsource ideas; although it just didn't turn out like that. I'm glad that Community Management was able to realize the error in this idea, and worked to correct it for the future. Possibly this could become useful in the future, although I have seen it not being completely used to its full potential. As Sven said, it's amazing that you realized the lessons you have learned from this and how we can grow from it.

Posted Sep 9, 2019
    EmmaLie likes this.
  15. I have to say that I did really enjoy the feature upvote ability and it's quite sad to see it go. It was a very simple way to get input from the community but honestly, I think the CoM team did the right thing. It did lose popularity over time and I noticed how voting was avoided in most cases. I'm looking forward to what the team has in mind for voting features in the future and I'm sure that this is the step in the right direction in really enhancing community interaction and input. Great work as always! <3

Posted Sep 10, 2019
    EmmaLie and Bunni like this.
  16. Yo!
    It was fun while it lasted, thanks for opening the website though. Glad that some ideas got accepted from there and definitely provided a lot of benefits to the community.

Posted Sep 10, 2019
  17. Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.” — Henry Ford.

Although Feature Upvote wasn't a complete failure, good job nonetheless for realizing that something wasn't working out for you and taking action. Hopefully this is a turn in the right direction for ideas as a whole. :)

Posted Sep 11, 2019
    EmmaLie and Jango_55 like this.
  18. "FU" works too

And yes, please downvotes.

Posted Sep 14, 2019
    Meme™, Vocaloiid and PapiKirito like this.