• 1392 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 9830 Players Online
  • 8438 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Processed Disabling taunts?

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by Glitchy, Aug 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Someone already created a similar idea thread and you can find it here. I don't see the issues with taunts, and it doesn't do anything negative. If someone keeps bothering you, then you can ignore the chat or go to another server. I can see where you're coming from, and there's nothing we cannot stop them.

I'd have to disagree with disabling taunts. -1

Posted Aug 17, 2019
    canqda likes this.
  2. Except add a feature to mute taunts, seriously it’s more of you CAN do something and just don’t want to

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Aug 17, 2019
  3. Apparently invalid for taunts. So this is irrelevant.

That's not toxic since its not targeted at anyone. It'd be toxic if it's a targeted insult e.g. "You suck", "Lol you're such a tryhard", "Go play with your mummy instead" :p

Taunt ≠ toxic phrase
    Insults = toxic phrase

Posted Aug 18, 2019
    canqda and cerns like this.
  4. Yeah, I know it’s invalid for taunts which is why I’m trying to change that?

Tell me that saying L right after you kill someone isn’t toxic.

And why can’t a taunt include a toxic phrase?

Posted Aug 18, 2019
  5. Sadly, it seems futile as most mods are against the idea of disabling taunts.

Saying "L" right after you kill someone isn't toxic.

Because if taunts include a toxic phrase, it becomes an insult, duh :p

I assume the mods and devs had a discussion of what's acceptable for taunts before implementing it and decided that "Is this easy mode?" is not toxic. Unless you could reason your way into their table, your interpretation of "toxic phrase" will get buried in this thread.

Posted Aug 18, 2019
  6. The taunts themselves are fine, if the player was being toxic in chat that’s a whole different thing unrelated to taunts

Posted Aug 18, 2019
    canqda likes this.
  7. I don’t care how many mods are against the idea; I care about what they say, and what they’ve said haven’t been very convincing.

Well then, I don’t know what to say to that because doing that is indeed toxic. Can you please define toxic in your words?

Yeah those aren’t mutually exclusive. A taunt can be an insult and an insult can be a taunt.

Using that taunt after killing someone is implying that that person is easy and not to your level. I find the taunt to be pretty condescending and I think it’s rude to call someone easy. In all the times I’ve seen this taunt be used, it’s right after they kill a player. Just because “mods and devs” have implemented something doesn’t always mean they are correct and can’t be corrected.

Posted Aug 18, 2019
  8. I’m gonna go ahead and say that this is very unnecessary to spend development time on. Adding a feature to disallow players to see certain cosmetics just devalues the cosmetic at hand. It isn’t a major issue, or even an issue whatsoever honestly. If you’re getting tilted by other players because of a taunt, just log out and take a break. Keep in mind that it’s just a cosmetic, and 99% of the time no one means any harm by doing it. If players are being excessively toxic in chat, then report them and they will get punished. Cosmetics have no effects on that, which is why I’m disagreeing with this.

Posted Aug 18, 2019
    canqda likes this.
  9. I see no issue with taunts, and they most likely will not be removed entirely, but I would not be opposed to Marzie's idea.

This would solve the issue of perceived toxicity while avoiding outright removal of the feature.

Posted Aug 18, 2019
  10. Guessing your one of those “taunts with normally toxic phrases or chat emoticons aren’t toxic”

I never said to remove it

Also the taunts I see aggravate people most are ;) and “Is this easy mode”

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Aug 18, 2019
  11. I know you didn't, but other threads have suggested removing them entirely.

Posted Aug 19, 2019
  12. You should care about what they say because they're the one who makes decisions and implement changes in Mineplex, not you.

Poisonous.

A taunt can be ambiguous whereas insults are not ambiguous.

Which is the truth, duh. As best said by Thanos: "Reality is often disappointing."

I find that the truth is the truth. There's no good truth, bad truth, or "condescending" truth. The player sucks and couldn't handle the truth.

This is irrelevant since they have the power to do whatever they want with Mineplex :p

Posted Aug 19, 2019
  13. taunts are just for fun, and if you feel displeasure from them, try asking the person taunting to stop.
    If they don't, you just gotta deal with it. Since taunts became one of the cosmetics, I don't think it can be easily disabled.

Posted Aug 19, 2019
    canqda likes this.
  14. Just because I replied to your thread disagreeing with your idea doesn’t classify me as that. I didn’t disagree because I think they’re toxic or not. I disagreed because they’re cosmetics, and if you’re getting upset over a cosmetic you should take a second to think about it.

Posted Aug 19, 2019
    Steven190 likes this.
  15. And? That doesn’t make my point any less valid. Just because they have “authority” doesn’t mean they are correct.

If you want to be taken seriously, I suggest you actually answer the question.

Still doesn’t change the fact that taunts can be insults.

And you can say the truth in a rude way. That’s what the argument is about, right? Not the truth of whether someone is bad or not.

Then you’re being rude and toxic and that’s the truth.

Again, that still doesn’t mean they are always correct and can’t be corrected.

At least try not make all your replies strawmans, ok?

Posted Aug 19, 2019
    Steven190 likes this.
  16. That's just outright not true... Most mods don't have any higher authority regarding idea implementation - it's mostly the Ideas team and GI's field of expertise.

Anyway, I agree with Marzie, ignoring someone should also ignore their taunts as well.

Posted Aug 19, 2019
  17. How does that make you weak? It exemplifies knowing what's best for you and/or others. That doesn't prove weakness; it's the other way around.

Posted Aug 19, 2019
  18. Yo

I disagree with this idea. As told by the name, Taunts are used to taunt your opponents in games. I really agree with @Marzie 's statement on a way for players to not view Taunts from ignored players, so anyone that has a problem with a player taunting can just /ignore them for the time being.

Taunting isn't really much of a problem. The only Taunt I see that gets hate is the Easy Mode Taunt, which isn't bad as it just says "Is this easy mode?". This is obviously a joke and anyone that takes it way too seriously will have to learn to handle jokes. Most other Taunts are unique and don't even need to be considered to be removed, so disabling all Taunts wouldn't be fair to users who have gotten Taunts but they aren't "toxic".

Posted Aug 19, 2019,
    Last edited Aug 20, 2019
    Zipppo and Yato like this.
  19. You’re basically agreeing with the thread then? They aren’t asking to remove them; they are suggesting to do exactly what Marzie said.

Posted Aug 19, 2019
  20. They're asking to be able to toggle viewing taunts, which would somewhat devalue them. I'm agreeing with marzie that they only don't show if you /ignore someone.

Posted Aug 20, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.