• 3367 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 12762 Players Online
  • 9395 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Not Planned Disabling In-game Ranks on Nametags

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by _Prof_, Feb 14, 2020.

?

What do you think?

1. +1

25 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. -1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. There was an idea thread here about inserting player levels beside their respective players in the tab menu that was rejected. This very blatantly exposes supposedly tryhards and causes everyone to target them, thwarting the fun. As an active player myself who logs on daily, I am only halfway to level 100 and played for 3 and a half years already. Just imagine the time and effort it costs to reach level 100, insane! With such in mind, this proves how passionate they are about Mineplex, twisting some players into thinking they are tryhards.

The recent updates added the player's ranks to their nametags even when in-game. I was unable to uncover why this addition was necessary but it should be more so optional. Ranks are another method of identifying tryhards and should only be revealed depending on player discretion. Moreover, this can minorly help FPS as there is a little less to render for anyone who has a low-end desktop. Some players may still find it enjoyable when others are constantly focused on them as that provides a larger challenge. There are probably more reasons to keep this feature on/off but it should at the very least be toggleable. in /prefs.

EDIT: A dire point was also brought up about the ranks interfering with gameplay as it can be deceptive when visually observing what team someone is on.

Posted Feb 14, 2020,
    Last edited Feb 14, 2020
  2. Honestly, I don't know who even asked to add name tags to in-game chat. It doesn't even look aesthetically pleasing when you see it on tab. It looks like a mess. I didn't realize this reduces FPS, but that's quite interesting that it does. I don't actually think identifying tryhards is the main problem with this addition. Before game, you can easily click tab and see who has a rank. I mean seeing it in game makes you not have to remember who you are gonna target because you can just click tab, but if people really wanna target a player because they have a rank then they can just tab before game.

I think the main reason I never liked this addition is because it's not necessary at all. I'm pretty sure no one asked for this (if I'm wrong, my bad). I see a lot of ideas getting denied or just ignored because it's "not a priority" yet Mineplex comes out with this update. Which is practically useless and doesn't make anything easier or nicer. If anything, it makes things worse for the reasons you stated above. For your suggestion, I don't think it's going to get removed and it's probably useful for some people in some ways. I just found it completely useless for me, but for others, I can't speak for. I'll agree with disabling it in /prefs as for the people who don't wanna see tags on the tab in-game. It would be a nice, easy way to get rid of some people's annoyance with this addition. I honestly don't expect this update to happen any time soon as, kinda ironic but, it's not a priority. I do like the idea and hope to some day get implemented though!

+1

Posted Feb 14, 2020
    Zomaholic, Dan1el and _Prof_ like this.
  3. I agree with this feature being removed. Players of higher ranks at times are targeted strictly because of their rank which makes gameplay a bit unfair. It also makes it harder for staff members to catch cheaters if the cheaters know there is staff there watching them. It also might make recording games for content creators more difficult.

Posted Feb 14, 2020
    mab8400 and _Prof_ like this.
  4. Hey there.

Overall, I agree with this thread. But, do you mean in chat and above your actual player, or just above your actual player? If you mean both, then I will have to disagree, the ranks clearly state in the description that one of the perks is having the prefix, and if that is taken away, then what is the point? Now, if you mean just in game, I would have to agree with this. Although I assume this is for Java, and I am a Bedrock player, this would be beneficial to both platforms. As stated above, players with these special ranks are being targeted first. Now, this may just be opinion vs. opinion, and may not happen in every case, but I do believe that this implementation would be beneficial.

+1

Posted Feb 14, 2020
    _Prof_ likes this.
  5. Hey,

I personally agree with this. I totally understand the frustration some people may have, especially when it comes to targeting. Sometimes it is very hard to play games, because we get targeted non-stop. I don't think the initial change to show ranks in-game was needed and doesn't give much value, so I will surely give this a +1.

Posted Feb 14, 2020
    OnceSpoken and _Prof_ like this.
  6. This is actual necessary to remove this feature because in many gamemodes like SG teams, people who have ultra rank will look like they are on the blue team; if you are on the blue team you will mistakenly think they are your teammate which could ruin an encounter when the player doesn't realize it. They will hesitate before noticing and then start fighting which gives them a disadvantage; it has happened to me a few times with pretty much every rank and their respective colors. It also looks messy in game and in the tab and does not improve the server whatsoever, in fact it probably worsens the experience. The update practically seems useless and I feel like it wasted precious development resources/time.

Posted Feb 14, 2020
  7. I really do think it should be removed and it does make tab look quite clunky. Adding it to /prefs would be a great idea, but I'd rather have one universal look. I totally get the frustration that high level players have when it comes to targeting, and I'd much rather they keep their rank to themselves (It also creates a lot more targeting in terms of staff ranks). I'm just going to mention that it's already quite easy to identify "tryhards" already (if we're going to use that term like that) Though this definitely doesn't help. I don't see a reason why it shouldn't be removed, and the FPS improvements aren't significant enough for me to justify not removing it. Obviously immortal is still relatively new, so changes are probable. @mab8400 brought up good point. Interfering with gameplay is a big no, and is yet another reason why it should be removed.

Posted Feb 14, 2020
  8. IMO this would be very beneficial, people shouldn't be targeted in-game just because they have a rank.
    +1

Posted Feb 15, 2020
    _Prof_ likes this.
  9. +1

But for a different reasoning than some. I believe that you're right, it interferes with gameplay, and it doesn't look aesthetically pleasing either. Though I just wanted to mention that "targetting" due to ranks is very unlikely, and subjective case-by-case, and I don't think a good measure of whether or not this feature should be removed. The other reasons, however, are valid and so my vote is a +1.

Posted Feb 15, 2020
    Makiz, matrixyst and _Prof_ like this.
  10. I am really glad that you brought this up. It was a huge surprise to me when this came out, and I didn't see the meaning of this at all. As far as I know, there are only negative sides to this feature. I saw replies that said that Staff Members and Content Creators must be having a difficult time when this is enabled, and I totally agree. People can simply target players with a special rank (such as staff, content creators, etc), and it must be destroying the gameplay for those people.

Amoung with that, the tab-list looks like a big mess. It was much cleaner and neat when we couldn't see the rank in the tab. It's enough to see your rank while talking, so I don't see why we need to know the player's rank in tab as well.

Thank you for making this thread, and hopefully, it will be removed soon. +1

Posted Feb 15, 2020
    _Prof_ likes this.
  11. Well, fortunately, a staff member is invisible when they're spectating, so that helps a lot, but it's unnecessary to have this in the first place, yeah.

Posted Feb 15, 2020
  12. While I do think it could be good for marketing I do think that it makes things look a little messy. Plus there's the aspect of targeting. I think that adding it as a pref is a good idea as it allows those who want to show off their rank to show it off and those who don't, don't have to. +1

Posted Feb 15, 2020
    _Prof_ likes this.
  13. Heyo!

I'm super glad you brought this idea up as I totally was surprised when they released it! I don't really enjoy the ranks in tab as it looks really messy in-game like @xVanessa said. Another thing is that it is very hard for staff members to play games as a lot of players like to target us. It will also be super hard for content creators to record footage for a video or for streamers to stream on Mineplex with the "Stream" rank as a lot of players would be targeting the content creators a lot so they can't record any footage of Mineplex and can't really upload to their channel. With all those reasons, I'll be agreeing with you on this one! +1

~Cheers!
    -spikecreates

Posted Feb 15, 2020
    _Prof_ likes this.
  14. Hey! Since the addition of this, I've always disliked it. For me, it causes confusion on who's on which team at a glance. For example, a moderator could be on the blue team, however, because of their golden tag it looks like they are on the gold team (speaking to others I'm not the only one who gets this confused).

Also, since the introduction of this, I have seen much more people getting targetted in games. Including myself. However, it's a way to show off your fancy rank. So, as suggested above may be a preference to toggle if your rank is visible in-game would be a nice addition.

Posted Feb 15, 2020
    _Prof_ likes this.
  15. I agree. I think it'd also be great if there was an option in the preferences menu that allowed a user to choose what rank they appear as so if a player has Legend rank, for example, they'd be able to appear as Default, Ultra, Hero or Legend.

Posted Feb 15, 2020
    _Prof_ likes this.
  16. The tab list is extremely ugly in its current state and I would much rather have it back to its original state of only showing player ranks in lobbies. Also, it is hard to see what team people are on because of this. I don't think it should be an option personally, I think it should just be turned off.

+1

Posted Feb 15, 2020
    _Prof_ likes this.
  17. As a staff member, I have been countlessly targetted in games and it really does ruin it when you are targetted. I feel like this is completely a correct idea here, people are targetted due to a rank and if we advertise said ranks in the tab list then players, even newer players see the "MOD" or "TRAINEE" or even "YT" and try to target them.

Overall, +1 for this idea!​

Posted Feb 15, 2020
    _Prof_ likes this.
  18. Personally, I don't think that it really affects marketing. I wouldn't buy a rank off of seeing a player with the Eternal tag in-game, and I don't think it would have any affect on that decision. It's more the perks. It definitely makes stuff look messy, and as for targeting, while it only *really* has an effect on YT, Stream, and Staff members, it is something that should be addressed.

As for putting it as a perk, to that sub-idea I'd have to give it a -1, as it encourages confusion. "Why does he have a rank next to his name" as well as, well, the tab-list would look crazy messy with a mix of ranked and non-ranked players, on top of the clashing colour schemes, etc.

Best Regards,
    - Fallen.

Posted Feb 15, 2020
  19. This is because there is a little more to render which increases the workload of the CPU.

True, but having the rank beside their nametag makes it stand out more, as opposed to getting close to see their username. Additionally, if there are many players with ranks in a game server, remembering who to target will be difficult.

Ranks should only be invisible on top of players when in-game, not in chat too. This makes it substantially easier to find who to target which is what sucks the entertainment out of players. Players can choose to chat but that is if they do.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Feb 15, 2020
    vezay and OnceSpoken like this.
  20. Not Planned​

A similar suggestion got forwarded to Production and was denied, unfortunately. I don't have an exact reason but as for now, ranks will not be removed from the tab in games. While I do disagree with the change because of targeting and other reasons, this feature just won't be removed. I'm going to go ahead and lock the thread but feel free to create another thread if you have any other ideas.

Posted Feb 29, 2020
    _Prof_ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.