• 0 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 2579 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Depths of the Ocean - Locations & Lore

Discussion in 'Build Showcase' started by MCCharity, Feb 11, 2020.

1. With the Depths of the Ocean Survival Games map finally going live, I wanted to take a moment and share the lore behind the map. Most locations and animals have stories or legends behind them. Take a look!​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zones

[​IMG]
    “With the extinction of the Atlantians, their precious city could not go to waste. After years of global searching, Atlantis was finally chosen as the location for the next Survival Games. In order for the location to properly function, Mineplex outfitted all contestants with implanted gills in replace of their lungs. Fascinatingly, Atlantis was kept in pristine condition even in the absence of the Atlantians. It’s assumed that the rare kelp infused materials give the structures more endurance against the ocean currents.”

Author(s): powh, ImposterK, MCCharity

[​IMG]
    “An unknown polluting chemical was spilled in this region. It is unknown what the full effects are, but it has killed off the majority of the life in this area. Corals and seaweeds are dead and the only thing remaining of many of the fish is their skeletons. The earth is ruptured and oozing out a toxic purple substance which oddly also carries sections of the ground into the sky. A few fish and jellyfish species have survived the toxic region, but it is only a matter of time before they die to the pollution as well.

Author(s): MCCharity

[​IMG]
    “This zone is easily identified by it’s signature shipwrecks. Whether it be the 1912 RMS Boat or the ancient pirate ship that terrorized the seven seas, this area is bound to host numerous hidden treasures.”

Author(s): skreb, Mineplex Build Team

[​IMG]
    “.(noitidE naecO) egdirb ruobraH yendyS erutangis eht dna pihs SAMH eht fo egakcerw eht si dedulcnI .ebolg eht no esle erehwyna dnuof eb t'nac taht slaroc dna sessarg aes suoicsul fo yteirav a ot tsoh eht si erehpsimeH nrehtuoS ehT”

Author(s): skreb

[​IMG]
    “These volcanic ravines are a rocky, barren place. Few creatures can survive in the intense living conditions within the super heated water. Molten bubbles and instability are the key traits of this place.”

Author(s): MCCharity, JollyGreenGamer

[​IMG]
    “While such a mighty and powerful nation, the Aztec’s were never one for structural engineering. They built their mighty empire in the middle of a flooding zone and after a season of torrential rain their kingdom has been submerged ever since. While unfortunate for the Aztec’s, aquatic life have found a liking to the area, most notably being the home of George the Octopus.”

Author(s): skreb, JollyGreenGamer, TeaIsSpilled, MCCharity

[​IMG]
    “Legend goes that if you get the final kill at this location the majestic tunes of “Sweet Victory” will play across the Atlantis intercoms.”

Author(s): rqil, TeaIsSpilled

[​IMG]
    “The military has realized their experiments are no longer safe above the surface. They’ve moved to the bottom of the ocean in attempt to keep the existence of the Shemni Rock portal in hiding. The program is so classified many of the leading military operatives don’t even know anything about the classified Shemni Rock portal program. Who is Shemni? Is it really a rock or more like a pebble? And who the flipper is Shemni?“

Author(s): MCCharity, TheBlueComet

[​IMG]
    “The U.S.S. Nautilus was a top secret military project for exploring the remains of Atlantis. Amid the journey, many of the crew members organized a mutiny to protest the Captain’s attempt at firing a Nuclear Warhead into Atlantis as part of a weapons test. They claimed that the lost city should be preserved and forcibly removed the captain from the Submarine. Unfortunately, the captain had the key to the emergency fuel storage system and the crew became stranded after continuing the expedition. Ever since they’ve been launching their distress signals in hopes of being discovered.”

Author(s): skreb

[​IMG]
    “Click Clack Click-Click Clack”

Author(s): TeaIsSpilled

[​IMG]
    “The wealthiest of Atlantians opted to live outside the central city. Many of the richest Atlantians were wealthy enough to purchase large plots of ocean, some plots covering gigantic spans of sea floor. This ocean palace was originally built on one of those large swaths of ocean real estate, but Atlantis fell into ruin before the owner could properly move in. These days you’ll mostly find old and abandoned crates filled with untouched riches.”

Author(s): joshuqrt

[​IMG]
    “The Atlantians once controlled the Underwater Volcano sector as a part of their rule of the ocean. The sole utility for the Atlantians was the disposal of prisoners and harvesting the rare Nitrogen from it’s bubbles. Since their fall, the volcanoes have remained untouched and gone dormant, fostering steady growth of new kelps and plant life.”

Author(s): JollyGreenGamer & MCCharity

Animals

[​IMG]
    “George had always been a very shy octopus, but everything changed in 2020 after he found a hidden treasure worth millions of dollars. He decided to change his whole image. He bought himself the newest iPhone and a chair so he could relax when he gets frustrated. He has quickly become obsessed with things such as rubix cubes, Big Macs and trees, so he bought those accessories as well. George is a proud father of her daughter Ally, and is currently married to Fredricka! I’d advise you not to make him angry though, as he tends to be a bit aggressive at times.”

[​IMG]
    “Fredricka is an old mother of her daughter Ally. After her home got destroyed by Hilly Jr., she started working a full-time job at Krusty Krab. Even though she went through some difficulties with her home, Mr. Krabs gave her a chance to live near the Crab Cave. She likes to use her BoomBox”

[​IMG]
    “Daughter of George and Fredricka. She graduated college yesterday, even though she’s only 3 months old! She’s currently working for Tesea and is planning to finish her highly anticipated project, Cyberbubble.”

Author(s): Hilly

[​IMG]
    “He’s always considered himself to be a happy little accident after being kicked out of the Marine Life Aquatics club. Since then, he has picked up the brush to help express his emotions. In the midst of one of his art galleries, the military abducted him as a test subject for the Shemni Rock project. Fortunately, he broke out of his cage and now gives the military havoc while conducting their experiments. During the last experiment he unplugged the power cable leaving the operators scrambling to fix the portal.”

Author(s): TeaIsSpilled, MCCharity, joshuqrt

[​IMG]
    “Lennie is a rebellious little child. She’s in her prime puberty, and as any teenage orca, Lennie can get really moody at times. Don’t try talking to her while she’s dancing on BlubTok because she can throw a whole plane at you, she did that to me one time… Anyways, she always carries all her luxurious stuff on her back, you might as well want to try and loot some of them! Be careful though, Lennie can get a bit frustrated if she finds out you “borrowed” some of those treasures...

Author(s): Mineplex Build Team

[​IMG]
    “Dad of Lennie. He’s a sweet old gentleman who wants only the best for his daughter. But he lost his goggles a couple of days ago, and he can’t see properly without them!!! They’re somewhere around the Southern Hemisphere, but Lennie and him just can’t seem to find them. If you do see them however, make sure to let them know because Lennie wants to go on Instasea.”

[​IMG]
    “Mary? Oh her! Mary is an adorable creature just swimming around the ocean, she’s not very popular among others though. If you ever notice her however, no need to say hi to her because she’s deaf, and possibly blind.

[​IMG]
    “Geoffrey is a homeless Pufferfish. Years ago he was forcibly taken from his reef and forced into a southern hemisphere zoo. After making his escape, he now lives near the Sydney Harbour bridge because it reminds him of home. For entertainment, he frequently watches the gladiator matches where the silly little humans fight.”

Author(s): Mr_Ant87

[​IMG]
    “If you’ve never heard of Anya Neeze, you must’ve been living under a rock this whole time! Anya Neeze is the biggest celebrity in the entire ocean. To start her fame, she was casted as an extra in the hit movie, “The Little Mermaid”. In addition, she has also played some major roles in some music videos too. Her most successful music video is called “Under The Sea”. Besides her successful career in both music and film, she is an aspiring model and Instasea social media influencer. Make sure to follow her on Instasea and Blubber!”

Author(s): TeaIsSpilled & joshuqrt

[​IMG]
    “Baby Shark doo doo, doo doo doo doo
    Baby Shark doo doo, doo doo doo doo
    Baby Shark doo doo, doo doo doo doo
    Baby Shark

Mummy Shark doo doo, doo doo doo doo
    Mummy Shark

Daddy Shark doo doo, doo doo doo doo
    Daddy Shark

Grandma Shark doo doo, doo doo doo doo
    Grandma Shark”

Author(s): powh

[​IMG]
    “Nom nom”

Author(s): Hilly

Q&A

The earliest trace I could find of discussing this map was May 14, 2019. The project wasn’t worked on consistently, though. Originally the map was between a few players on the Build Team and a few players on the Map Testing Team. It wasn’t an official map. After a few months of building the map, motivation was slowly lost on it. At this point it was moved to the main build server where it could receive more attention. The map entered testing on November 23rd, 2019 and passed through testing on Jan 11th, 2020.

Starting on day 1 we were writing down all of the ideas we could come up with. The Atlantis themed center was one of the first ideas, but the concept behind the Toxic Coral zone wasn’t developed right away. Most of the zones didn’t have names or in depth details, but were just broader concepts. Once the core pieces of terrain were in place was the first time we actually were able to envision what zones would look like. So yes, there was planning ahead of time, but a lot of ideas were spur of the moment or massively tweaked during the creation.

When an author is set to the "Mineplex Build Team" it means that the build was created by the entire team or we aren't quite sure who made a certain asset. With this map, we ended up using a lot of assets from builders made years ago. As such, we can't take credit for building it ourselves but don't know exactly who to give the credit to.

Big thanks to everyone on the Map Testing Team and the Build Team (both present and former members) for all the help. This was a big undertaking and was quite the learning experience for me.

Posted Feb 11, 2020,
    Last edited Feb 11, 2020
  2. am really glad i got a chance to help with the map. have fun sg players :,)))

Posted Feb 11, 2020
  3. While I only joined the map testing team when the map just entered testing stage, it was still very interesting to see some of the original ideas and the changes map went through. I think it's more than safe to say that we all are happy with how the final product ended looking up :)

Posted Feb 11, 2020
  4. Heyo!

Ahhh! I love this so much! This is so creative and I love the stories and lore's behind these area's in the map. These were super good stories and well thought out and I really enjoyed reading them, though it sure took a while, but I don't mind! I love playing this map so much and it was fun to copy and paste stuff onto the map lol. I really hope everyone enjoys this map because the build team and map testing team put hard work into this map! Anyway, this was super creative and I really loved the stories about the animals!

~Cheers!
    -spikecreates

Posted Feb 15, 2020
  5. It really reminds me of the Atlantis map on BH. Great job!!!

Posted Feb 15, 2020
  6. Gotta say it's quite cool to have a backstory to all the features of the map, it really helps flesh it out and give it more character. I hope we get to see more maps with developed lore in the future. Also glad to have helped with building the map, testing it and helping write part of said lore.

Posted Feb 15, 2020
  7. Hey! :sigils_down:

I don’t know how you guys do this! This map is SO COOL! I’m super excited to play on it, and more so I absolutely love how you have stories and background to your work. My personal favorite part of the map is the shipwreck, but everything on the map is just incredible. Thank you both so much for making this map, I’m sure me and a lot of other SG players are going to enjoy!

Posted Feb 15, 2020
  8. Hello!

This looks incredible! I strongly agree with Creadword, but to put it simply I cant wait to play this map! It's very interesting, especially the large water creatures! Specifically the Orca, I really like it!

Posted Feb 16, 2020
  9. Only in my dreams would I be able to build something like this. This map is amazing, keep up the good work on the future maps!

Posted Feb 16, 2020