• 106 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 1592 Players Online
  • 1486 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Death Run Maps

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by CrazyOfTim, Aug 14, 2022.

1. Ok so I’d like to start by saying I think this new Death Run game is really fun and huge props to the team for releasing a new gamemode after a 4-5 year hiatus. However, is it just me that thinks the maps are a bit bland? Most of the obstacles seem to be just running straight hoping that TNT doesn’t blow you up or a dispenser doesn’t shoot and kill you. The others are just pretty simple and boring 2 block jumps that don’t add much of a challenge to the game at all. Some new obstacles like more difficult parkour, more jump boost sections or even a couple short mazes could really spice up the gameplay and make it more skill based rather than luck. Let me know what you think!

Posted Aug 14, 2022
    traincar100, dutty, Emuky and 4 others like this.
  2. Hi CrazyOfTim! I do not personally think that the new maps are "bland," and I find that the Builders who took time to work on these maps executed very well built maps for this new game mode. Do I think some traps could be improved, sure, but generally speaking the maps themselves aren't by any means "bland." I'm very excited to see where this new game is taken within the next couple of months! I'm sure we'll see a lot of new maps dropped and a lot of balance changes come to the game. Timmi has already confirmed some of his balance changes here: https://www.mineplex.com/threads/trapper-balancing-suggestions.234579/#post-806995 and I'm super excited to see how it changes the game. I think with balance changes, the game will become easier for trappers to pull off a win and more challenging for runners. Good feedback though and I'm interested in what others may have to say.

Posted Aug 14, 2022
    TheRealSans likes this.
  3. Are we gonna see user-submitted maps for this?

Posted Aug 14, 2022
  4. I doubt this will happen but I think it would be really cool if anyone can make a map and for it to get featured

Posted Aug 14, 2022
    TheRealSans likes this.
  5. Hey,
    I have a similar opinion to Amg on this topic; I personally don't feel any of the maps themselves are bland. I'm a fan of the aesthetic and gameplay value of all 3 maps up to this point, and props to the Build Team on that. However, I get where you're coming from with the traps. I don't see necessarily see it as a problem as it doesn't really get stale to me, but I can understand how it can come across as repetitive. The hope is that with time and updates, will come new maps, and new traps, and new improvements to the game, which is why I hope users drop ideas for traps on the forums to hopefully be implemented in new updates towards Death Run. Whether or not we'll see user-submitted maps toward Death Run is currently unknown, however, I'd imagine that would be quite difficult in the near future. As time goes on, it could be possible for Builders to work alongside users who have submitted maps to work and fine-tune their maps to assign the traps and make the gameplay work without issue.

Posted Aug 14, 2022
    Nightys, TheRealSans and Amg like this.
  6. For now: Nope, maybe somewhere in the future - who knows.

I’d just like to say, that it’s all pretty new for us. As time is gonna pass by most likely the maps will get better and so will the traps for those new maps. Also we (Buildteam (maybe QA Team?)) can change the traps for the already existing maps to make the traps a bit harder, less easy to dodge, etc.

Posted Aug 15, 2022,
    Last edited by a Moderator Aug 15, 2022
    TheRealSans and danb76 like this.
  7. Too complicated?

Posted Aug 15, 2022
    TheRealSans likes this.
  8. to risky, how many community members are really good at building that wont apply for builder

Posted Aug 15, 2022
    TheRealSans likes this.
  9. I guess you can say that. I think “if” they wanted to let community make maps for it, probably needs to create a system where it’s easy to make traps for the maps or something.

Posted Aug 15, 2022
    TheRealSans likes this.
  10. Most potential map builders know how to build, but not program. Unless they could paste existing traps to build a course, I don't think it would be possible.

Posted Aug 15, 2022
    TheRealSans likes this.
  11. Yep

Posted Aug 16, 2022
    TheRealSans and BlazeFire like this.
  12. Though I agree with the simplicity and "blandness" of certain traps, I can understand how it would be difficult to implement what you are seeking. I already enjoy the fact that the traps are not always the same across the board each type a map is played so that at least gives some variation. I do think that some traps can be modified to be more difficult as some of them are quite easy (such as the ones that pop up in a pre-defined red area). I'm sure we will see even more amazing maps in the future, but I commend the build team for what we have gotten so far!

Posted Aug 17, 2022
    TheRealSans and Arshaad_73 like this.
  13. I agree,

In my opinion, it's (maps) the main issue with the game: with a game like death run, the maps make the experience. Mineplex's maps (so far) are very flat, straight and not really that challenging, the basic formula is space -> trap -> space -> trap -> space -> trap -> checkpoint, there's never any shortcuts (which would be interesting!), never any larger, non trapped parkour, there's not really any twists and turns, it's very linear. Hive's maps felt vibrant (not all just bright, plastic colours) and had many twists and elevation changes, curved/smaller pathways rather than super wide ones, not just straight paths for the majority of the run.

The checkpoint distances also feel oddly balanced, with some being large distances and some being fairly short.

Mansion (inside) has some potential, (although the transition from inside to garden feels a bit odd), with the curved path, but it's not being used as well as I'd have hoped. It's still fairly early into the game's progression (hopefully it still starts in a month or two), so we'll see if the maps improve.

As for mazes: not the best of ideas, annoying for new players, easy for old players, as they remember the layout. Randomised mazes every time, maybe? But these don't really feel very fun in my opinion.

Posted Aug 20, 2022
    CrazyOfTim, Ian923, CatFan105 and 2 others like this.
  14. Can ppl talk about adding death run into bedrock?

Posted Aug 20, 2022
  15. Probably won't happen, since Mineplex's "inspiration" was from the hive, which used to be on java, but was taken down, but deathrun still is on the hive's bedrock server, and it would probably look like a blatant rip-off if it was on bedrock

Posted Aug 21, 2022
    Ian923 and Ocelotguyy like this.