• 1804 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 3888 Players Online
  • 2084 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Dealing with trainee denials.

Discussion in 'Forum Discussion' started by Klobby, Oct 14, 2019.

1. (Before I start, please note that I haven’t really made any similar type of thread like this one before so don’t expect any fancy usage of BB code or any of that stuff. All feedback is welcomed though!)

For the past few years, I have seen hundreds of people apply for trainee with great confidence in themselves only to see them self-disappointed after being denied. That’s why I decided to make this kind of encouraging type of thread for all of you out there who had any similar experiences. So, to start off, I’m going to tell you about my personal experience with trainee applications.

So yeah, hi, My name is Klobko, but you can call me Klob, Klobby or just Filip and I’m one of the very few active members here at Mineplex who are from Czechoslovakia. Just like all of you, I had indeed applied for Trainee. Hah, I applied for trainee around 5 times by now and as you probably guessed, I got denied each time. The first application I submitted lasted less than one single day. Funny, right? Well, my next two applications I submitted all both lasted less than 48 hours. I was pretty demotivated from being denied three times in a row for the same reason. Not making any further progress. But, I didn’t want to give up. I was determined to continue applying. So I took some time, made my intentions clear, expanded my knowledge about the staff team greatly and after 8 days of patiently waiting, I was invited to the interview. I couldn’t believe it when I saw that one notification on the conversations button. That was probably one of the best feelings I had in a long time. After taking my interview, I actually made it to the observations and I lasted 2 weeks before being denied. But I still surpassed all of the expectations I had this time and I’m proud of myself for that to this day.

So yeah, the main point of that story is that no matter how unlikely it seems, everyone can reach their goals as long they try their hardest and the best they can.

Now, on to the actual things I highly recommend you to do after finding yourself in a situation where you have been denied from trainee.

The first thing I highly advise you to do is to take some time off and think about things you did wrong and how to improve them for the next time. There are a lot of things you can get denied for and each one is not like the other one. For cases where you have been denied for say, recent punishment or missing in-game time, there’s not so much to do other than wait or meet those requirements. But if you have been denied for reasons like not ready or lack of depth, you really need to think about what you did wrong and how to not repeat the same mistake over and over again. I don’t also recommend you to instantly apply each time after the 2 weeks wait time has passed, but again, it really matters what you have been denied for. One thing you should always remember is that there is always a specific meaning behind why you have been denied for and you should always message a recruiter who has denied your application.

Another thing, never, but NEVER compare yourself to others. I did that mistake during my time and trust me, it can hurt a lot. You should think about yourself as a unique human being because that’s what you are. Some people might have been accepted on their first application, but remember that it took some more than 20+ tries. No one is perfect but everyone is still unique and the main thing that should matter to you is being able to get accepted. Not the amount of tries it takes you.

My last piece of advice to you is to have someone to talk to. This might not seem that helpful but trust me, being able to talk to someone about your feelings and emotions after being denied. It can truly help you so much that you won’t believe it. It’s what I did and well, I’m still here today writing this thread for all of the other community members. Aren’t I?

So, this is the end of this rather awkward but hopefully helpful thread of mine. I feel like I could have done a lot better but hey, this is my first time doing something like this so everyone has to start somewhere. Right? Anyways, One last note from me. Even if you have been denied from trainee, that doesn’t mean you still can’t contribute to the network in any real efficient way. In my eyes, the only real difference between a trainee and a community member is that trainees can punish users. You can still be just as helpful as you would be if you have been promoted to a trainee. You can also still always apply for other community sub-teams like Ideas team or Map Testing. While those might not be your destinies, they can still help you a lot and will probably give you a good idea about how teams work in general here on Mineplex.

Well. That’s about it. All feedback is highly appreciated so, take your time to let me know if there’s anything I could have done better!

Good luck to all of you trainee applicants out there!

Posted Oct 14, 2019
  2. Hiya

It’s important to meet challenges or setbacks with a constructive approach and focusing on the opportunities created when things don’t go as planned. Having a resilient mindset can be a healthier way to handle rejection and denial. Remember to keep a positive, adaptable attitude when thrown curveballs. Even outside online recruitment, a job rejection can seem like the end of the world, but it’s really an opportunity to learn more about yourself and improve for the future.

Klobko, you brought up quality ways on how to manage rejection and rebound. Specifically, I like the point “should always message a recruiter who has denied your application”. Asking the recruiter for feedback beyond their preset messages can be beneficial.

And for you Klobko, keep working on writing a well written application, keep on contributing to the community, get involved and engaged, and I wish you all the best in future applications.

- Lucky

Posted Oct 14, 2019
    Jqyd3n, Jocoe, BasicT and 3 others like this.
  3. Yo!
    I'd like to give you a round of applause for this thread. I agree that getting denied for something that you really want does hit you in the gut sometimes, but like you said if you want something you have to work just as hard to achieve it. I feel that the Trainee application process is a great learning experience since you have to self-reflect, challenge yourself, and overall you learn how to cope with a denial rather than blaming yourself for it. I remember many years ago when I was a young trainee applicant I was denied several times and at first it was a huge hit to my self-confidence but once I understood that Mineplex has to be strict for the better of the community and that it's not a personal thing that helped me in many ways.. and well safe to say it helped me achieve my goal. Hopefully to anyone who is reading this understands that if Trainee is something you are passionate about, you can achieve it just have to really put the energy into it and understand that it can take maybe 1 application or maybe even 20 to get accepted, but patience is key.

Posted Oct 14, 2019
  4. I have same the feeling. I applied many times for staff but, I will never give up. Every application I make my application better and have better confident. If you put all your effort you will make it. Even if you don’t make it on your first, second, third, or more try’s. Do not GIVE UP! Good luck to you

Posted Oct 14, 2019
    Jocoe, SaberDash and Klobby like this.
  5. I honestly cannot express how much I appreciate this kind of thread in words. Having written 15 Trainee applications on Mineplex, I had to deal with several instances of just not having the will to reapply and go through the process again, especially when I was an underage applicant. However, in spite of what you as a trainee applicant might think, it is actually quite simple, and there is no big secret to becoming a staff member. The key is in having goals that will keep you motivated not because of the trainee rank itself, but because of everything you could give for the community, all while the experience enriches you as a person and helps you grow. Having a set of already acquired skills and a will to learn is just a bonus. Anything other than that is what I like to call "conspiracy theories", which range from Recruiters picking on you as an applicant to comparison with other applicants.

Which brings me to a point in your post which I also approve of, and that is comparing yourself to others. Don't. It's the most sincere advice I can give. Everyone has their own qualities and flaws, and every blessing comes with a struggle. If you think you would do better than a recently accepted applicant, you have to stop and rethink your denial reasons, and see where that puts you on your own path, not somebody else's. Just be humble. On the other side of the spectrum, some people (like myself back then) probably have a lack of self esteem and don't think they deserve to be on the staff team. At that point, one has to learn to admire the fact that flaws also make you special, but most importantly, they make you human. Being able to assess your situation realistically is of utmost importance, as your qualities and flaws will significantly contribute to your learning process - I wouldn't be lying if I said that making mistakes is actually encouraged during the trainee trial, because improvement is all that counts.

P.S. If you want to know what to improve on after your trainee application was denied, please make sure to message the Recruiter who denied your application, as they will be able to give you unique insight into your application!

I'm glad I was able to give my opinion on this topic on this occasion, and I hope everyone who reads this will continue to pursue their goals and hopefully gain the courage to apply.

Posted Oct 14, 2019,
    Last edited Oct 14, 2019
    scarlet ♥, Jqyd3n, Jocoe and 3 others like this.
  6. This was certainly a nice thread to come across. There's one thing of being denied for a position that you truly wanted and yes, that can certainly be demotivating. Then there's also the instance where one is denied several times for the same position. In those moments, I can certainly relate. When I first applied to be a Trainee late 2014, I was constantly denied for not being mature enough and for not having enough detail in my application. Your advice to message a recruiter after your denial is so very crucial and I was I would have done that the first time I was applying (probably would have saved me the grief and frustration in subsequent applications haha). Self reflection, self confidence, and finding support I think are three very great pieces of advice for aspiring trainees who were recently denied. Self-reflection I think is the most crucial advice that I received in that for anything in life, it's important to evaluate what went well and what did not. Being able to self select is an incredibly useful skill to have and it can really help you out when looking to applying to other positions in our own lives.

To contribute my own advice to this thread, I would say to get back on the horse and try again. In our lives, we will be faced with adversity no matter who you are. How we deal with failure will define us more than the failure itself and I would say me going through the trainee process certainly helped me with that.

I certainly wish I would have had this when I started applying because it certainly would have been a pick-me-up, when I needed it. Thank you @Klobby for taking the time and energy in writing this. I hope some users find your post inspiring and motivating, as I certainly have.

Posted Oct 14, 2019
    AtmosFox, Jocoe, SaberDash and 2 others like this.
  7. I absolutely love this post! I feel like people beat themselves up a lot, and I feel like this post makes them feel like it is 100% normal and very common to be rejected and that you are not alone. In the times I tried applying for Trainee, each time the constructive criticism helped. Thank you for this thread! Also another thing is to keep trying! Each time you will get closer to your goal!

Posted Oct 14, 2019
  8. I thank you for making this thread, it really shows that you should never give up. I've applied many times now, and been through the interview quite a lot as well. When you get accepted, it's a really great feeling because you've achieved what you worked so hard for. Sometimes I'd feel a little demotivated, but that's not the mindset you should never have for too long. Instead, you should think about how you can improve next time, and ask yourself what you're doing wrong.

Also, if you are still applying for trainee, keep going. A lot of people just give up after being denied, and need to realise that not everyone gets accepted on their first application.

Posted Oct 14, 2019
  9. This is a delightful and purely motivating post. It 100% reminds you that everyone fails in something, everybody has issues with something so you're not alone. I made 5 apps in 2015, kept getting denied and quit, thought I would never be a Mod for a big server, I came back in 2017 to try and apply, got denied and got back up. And would you look at that, 7 days, interview and Trainee position!

The big moral is just keep going, if you get denied, be mature. The part of denial that is great for you is you actually get more chance every time you apply, we're always looking for people trying to improve! If you DM the recruiter and you're mature about a growth mindset then you will do well and get to your end goal, so keep going. ​

Posted Oct 14, 2019
    AtmosFox, Jocoe, SaberDash and 2 others like this.
  10. Wow mate, it's really great to hear how your story really motivates me and most likely all of the people who clicked on this thread. I got my Trainee application denied on Mineplex for two simple reasons that I could have fixed quite easily. It's been 5 days since I've posted my third one and I'm hoping for the best. It's really great to see that someone here realizes that it's quite hard to apply for Trainee over and over again and no matter what happens you need to keep persisting and keep looking forward to your goal.

Posted Oct 14, 2019
  11. Hey!

Nice job @Klobby on this post! You showed your own way of seeing it and your own experiences into the same thread and it is very clear to see what you're saying and nice on that!

Onto the thread itself; it does give a lot of good advice when it comes to rejections when applying for Trainee, I have experienced this as well when it comes to the denial reason "Not Ready" It was hard for me to grasp why I was denied for this reason multiple times. The first application I had made in December was declined for Not Ready the same as my 2nd application. I had taken a break from applying until February when I got declined for this reason as well and I thought at that moment "I mine as well stop now so I don't have to keep seeing this reason for being declined" So, I left for 3 months, I came back in May, I applied again, and got rejected for Not Ready as well. I then took another break from May till July when I made my next Trainee Application. I went through the process and I got accepted onto the staff team on September 7th, 2019. While being discouraged is easy to feel, I say it's better if you keep trying as you'll get it eventually just never give up! c:
    -Kyuine

Posted Oct 14, 2019
    SaberDash and Klobby like this.
  12. Thank you so much for this Klobby!

I really, really like this thread. It's very informative and helpful to any potential trainee applicants, as well as motivational! One day, I'd love to join the staff team and this thread isn't helpful to just me, but also anyone else interested in joining the staff team.

A massive factor of getting Trainee is being resilient and persevering. Recruiters tend to notice people who repeatedly apply, and not giving up is a highly cherished attribute.

No one should feel demoralised by getting rejected. Every rejection is a learning opportunity that one must take advantage of. I cannot stress enough how taking advice from the recruiter that rejected you is paramount to success the next time you apply. Always think positively and aim for your goals.

As for your point regarding other community subteams, I also find myself agreeing with you. Getting rejected for Trainee isn't the end of the world, as there are many, many other ways to contribute to the community, such as joining community subteams like Ideas Team and Map Testing. Some of these community subteams could even potentially help demonstrate experience and knowledge within a specific department of the server, which would definitely look appealing to the recruitment team and potentially further aid an applicant's Trainee application.

Having people to talk to is also pretty underrated in my opinion. Friends can keep you motivated and advise you, and thankfully for me there are many people I think I can trust.

I wish you, and any other potential Trainee applicants luck in their applications. Thank you for taking the time out of your day to post this! :)

Posted Oct 14, 2019
  13. Hey there!

Honestly, I can't relate to the fact of being denied more than three times, but I can however still contribute to this thread in some way.

To begin with, thank you for making this thread. I hope this thread serves a purpose to help those that are aspiring to become a Trainee on Mineplex or trying to become someone they desire to be out in the real world. It's really nice to see players like you around contributing to the server and the forums in a positive way. I wish there was more players like you, who strive to be an amazing person and help the community out. Again, thank you for making this thread.

Secondly, my name is Jeremy. I'm 15 years old and I'm a Moderator here on the Mineplex Network. I was introduced to the server back in mid-2017 and I left around mid-2018. I left due to my focus in school, other games, and just my life in general. I grew bored of the other games and decided to come back to Minecraft at the start of 2019. I casually started out playing survival in Minecraft again and did so for a couple of months. I usually only played when I was bored or had a lot of free time. Then, around 4-5 months ago, I came back to the Mineplex Network, which is when I began to start playing Minecraft more. While on the network, I was able to meet a ton of new people and they became my friends. Then, I started encountering players that needed assistance with general customer support or just had questions about anything, really. This is when I started to want to become a part of the staff team and apply for Trainee. So, going into the Trainee application with a blind eye, I made a minor mistake of not reading over more Trainee information that I should have, which you should TOTALLY check out here and here! Anyways, because I didn't thoroughly read over these amazing threads, my first application was DENIED. Why? It was denied for having no forums time! Stated in the Becoming a Trainee 2 thread, there was a spoiler that said there was a minimum requirement of having an account on the forums that was over two weeks old. I didn't have that at the time, so I was quickly denied. Then, two weeks later, I was able to apply again, so I did. The funny thing is, that I submitted my new application the day I was able to even apply again. It took me about seven hours to complete, only because I was procrastinating and watching movies while typing out my application. I would've gotten it done earlier, but, that doesn't matter too much now. After submitting my application, I waited, then waited, and waited. Two days passed, I got confident. Another five days passed, I got even more confident. Then, three more days passed, and I received an alert in my notifications tab on the forums, and I was happy to see a message from a recruiter, saying they were interested in my application! I scheduled my interview for a few days later and my interviewer was the amazing @anuenue. She's no longer on the staff team, but, she was an amazing staff member and I couldn't have asked for a better interviewer. I was also interviewed by @Arjun, who is now a recruiter! Congrats on that again! I was a bit nervous during the interview, but I was able to pull through. I'm not sure, but I believe I did well on the observation stage, and then I was surprisingly accepted into the new batch of Trainees five days later! This batch, I called, along with my batchies, the Moon Batch, as it falls on the 50th anniversary of the Moon Landing. Around two of my batchies resigned, however, some of us are still here, now, as Moderators c: This is basically my Trainee story, my two months was a huge blast, and it was because of my mentor @Dulciloquy, MA @Sven, my good friends @Goudge ✦, @SourSky (I miss you man), and much more other people!

I guess I got lucky. I was accepted onto the staff team with only having two applications. I apologize for stretching this reply out so much, I sort of just felt like it. ANYWAY, thank you for making this thread! I hope it helps out the many players that aspire to become a part of the staff team and GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE FUTURE APPLICANTS!

Have a great rest of your day c:

-JYTG

Posted Oct 14, 2019
    AtmosFox, Jqyd3n, Dan1el and 5 others like this.
  14. Good thread, though likely one that's a bit late for me and maybe some others. I sent 12-13 before I gave up with only 1 interview. I didn't feel it was worth making applications when my own writing skills sucked and all the effort was for only 1 interview. I don't play on mineplex anymore, but hopefully it helps others

Posted Oct 14, 2019
    Klobby likes this.
  15. Helllooo.

I really appreciate this thread. The first time I was staff, it took me three tries. It’s demotivating to get denied, but, it’s part of life. You can’t always get everything you want, but it’s important to move on and improve on your mistakes.

Getting denied isn’t always a bad thing. Of course it stinks, you can’t deny that, but it also provides opportunity for growth and improvement. Like you said, don’t always apply two weeks after your denial. Maybe in some cases two weeks might be enough to improve on whatever you need to work on, but most of the time it’s not. I always waited several months between each trainee application. I knew they were big issues that wouldn’t get resolved in two weeks. You have to be willing to change and grow, and that usually is going to take more than two weeks.

In any case, thank you for sharing this. It’s very interesting to hear other people’s stories. It’s important to keep perusing your goals and strive to improve yourself. If you do that, one day, you’ll get what you’re aiming for.

Posted Oct 14, 2019
    Kyuine and Klobby like this.
  16. I really appreciate you taking the time to write this thread Klobby. I was in a very similar position to you, having had my first Trainee application denied for a lack of detail, I made sure to spend a lot longer on my next application to ensure it didn't run into the same problem. I don't think I've ever worked harder on something in my life, and I was really proud of the end product. After 4.5 days I woke up one morning and instinctively checked my forums page where I was absolutely shocked to see a notification above my messages. That was one of the best feelings I've ever experienced in my life, as I knew all of my hard work and effort had payed off, and that I truly had a chance to achieve my goal. After having a successful interview, I made it onto the observation stages which, like your own, lasted for just under two weeks where I was denied. Unfortunately I had my priorities all wrong which is ultimately what caused my denial, along with some mistakes. The two weeks/month that you are given after a denial is a good time for self reflection as well as improving the area in which you were denied, but as you mentioned, waiting a little longer never hurts. Everyone is capable of becoming a Trainee, you just have to truly put your heart into your application and prove to the recruitment team that you'd be a good fit. I wish you the best of luck in your future applications Klobby, that dedication will eventually pay off!

Posted Oct 15, 2019
    Klobby likes this.
  17. Hey Klobby!

Before I go ahead and say anything else, I just want to say that it is really very nice of you to go out of your way and right such a helpful, inspiring, and motivational post. I myself was only recently accepted as a Trainee, and technically it took me 4 years. I made around 15 applications on Enjin when I was underaged, and then on Xenforo it took me 3 applications (meeting the age requirement). See, I definitely agree with you that we are all totally unique individuals and we all have our own journey. Some people may apply once, some may apply 30 times, it doesn't matter, as long as you stay determined, work hard, and keep trying! Persistence is extremely important to have when applying for any position, whether it be staff on a server like Mineplex, or whether it be in real life when searching for a job. I can't emphasize enough that if you stay persistent, you will reach your goals eventually!

I also agree that we all need a break, we are all human beings and so eventually we get overworked or fixated on one thing, so a break is definitely necessary. I can say from personal experience that if you take even a day or two break to gather your thoughts and think about things, you will feel a lot better. Each time I have a break from anything in life, I come back stronger, and more determined. I definitely recommend people who are being denied to try having a small break and work on yourself. Think about your priorities and your goals, and make sure to put yourself first. I guarantee you that you'll come back refreshed, and ready to do better than ever before.

I could not agree more that an issue we all seem to develop at some stage in life is caring about what others think about us, and comparing ourselves to others. Firstly, comparing ourselves to others is not good for our wellbeing and mental health, as it constantly makes you feel like you aren't doing good enough for someone. I myself have in the past compared myself to others, and I'd be lying if I said I don't do that occasionally still, but I've learned it is not healthy, and that we are all unique and are all different. The best person you can be in life is yourself, not your best friend, your sibling, your neighbor, or anyone else, but yourself.

Yes yes yes! I'm so glad you've decided to speak about reaching out. We ALL need help from some people in life, and it is extremely important to know who is there for you, and who will support you when things may go wrong. Ask for support and help, some people think this makes you weaker, but really it makes you a stronger person because you decided to reach out! Chatting with friends is one of the best ways to get your mind off of things, so I definitely agree with you here!

Overall, you've made an outstanding post. I really enjoyed reading it and I am so proud of you for sharing your thoughts surrounding the denial of Trainee applications. I know that you created this thread with the pure intention to help others out, and for that I commend you. Good luck to everyone applying, just remember, never ever give up on something you want!

Posted Oct 15, 2019
    Not_Gamer, AtmosFox, Jqyd3n and 3 others like this.
  18. Hey!

Well, this thread was quite helpful in my opinion. For anyone who is applying or looking to apply for staff, this is an extremely helpful guide. You listed so much information on tips and information to know. If I were to ever apply or I knew a friend that was looking to apply in the near future, I would definitely recommend this thread! Great job and have a good rest of your day!

Posted Oct 15, 2019
    Klobby likes this.
  19. Yeah, I apologize for not making this sooner when you needed it but at first I thought this wouldn't ever get as much attention it did. Which, on the other hand, makes me really glad :)

Thank you all for the kind words. I highly appreciate the every single post on this thread. I'm really happy that I was able to help some of you by making this. And don't forget! Never give up on reaching your goals!

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Oct 15, 2019
    Vocaloiid likes this.
  20. This is a very motivating an awesome thread! I think you're a big inspiration to those who've got denied during the Trainee Process. People usually get very disappointed when they get denied in their Trainee Application, but hey, we've all been there, and it's not that bad! You'll learn about what the recruiters think that you should do differently next time, and they are making it a lot more easier by giving you specific reasons for your denial.

I really love that you said that people who have applied for trainee and got denied, get very demotivated and self-disappointed. But, there's been so many staff member who has applied many times until they finally got accepted. I guess that almost everyone who's staff today has been denied several times before they got accepted. And what did they do? They didn't give up and worked hard.

The price of achieving what you want is working hard.

Overall, fantastic thread! This should be an official "Trainee Denial Motivation"!

Posted Oct 15, 2019
    Klobby likes this.