• 366 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 366 Players Online
  • 0 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Cosmetic Trading [Idea]

Discussion in 'Bedrock Ideas' started by Apaolo, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Hello. I am a long time Mineplex player. As much as I like improving in my PVP skills, and showing off with ACTUAL skill, I also like looking stunning in the lobbies and in games. I also like doing an undebatably epic screenshot (1) with all my friends and our cool cosmetics. That's a joke. In the very little friend group I have that plays Mineplex, most don't even have one cosmetic. Sad, right...

WRONG!

With this new idea I bring to the table, you could donate some of your less valuable cosmetics to your friends for that ePiC screenshot. Are they in need of a cute cat pet? Good thing you can spare yours (2) ! Sure, it isn't your epic Castle Guard named "Grumm", but it's something to spare for your friends.

Have you ever equipped your new awesome Rave Pants and Rave Shirt only to realize your missing the BOOTS?! Well now, you can search for traders (3) that will trade their Rave Boots for your Ghostly Arrow (4) . Once you've found one, you enter a special little place to confirm and accept trades. Now, you won't have to win 500 Cake Wars games (5) to get an imperial crate that might not have what you want.

Another variation of trading is the ability to trade shards for cosmetics, which some players might want a bit of. If you don't want to give up any of your items or risk an imperial crate, you could buy a cosmetic using shards instead (6).

Number Clarifications:
    1: I have never actually taken a screenshot so don't think I have any epic photos in my gallery.
    2: Sparing/gifting will work by selecting a separate function for directly giving a player a cosmetic.
    3: Traders are just random people in lobbies that you can request a trade/gift with.
    4: The cosmetics you enter into the trade can be anything on either side, but you will both have to confirm the trade once both cosmetics are put up to avoid scamming.
    5: I'm not kidding. Assuming Cake Wars is being shard boosted at all times, you win around 60 shards per win, and dividing 30000 by 60 is 500, meaning you need to win 500 games of Cake Wars for one imperial crate. That's insane.
    6: I do acknowledge the fact that crates would be near useless if shard trading what implemented due to the SPECIFIED cosmetic trading having the ability to lower the value of cosmetics over time, so this is just an idea within an idea.

All in all, I think the ability to trade would be a great idea in Mineplex. It would improve the community as a whole and would allow more flow of items and cosmetics.

Posted Oct 29, 2020
    StyxKiller03 and ShadowWolfZoe like this.
  2. Hey!
    First of all this is an amazing idea! Without a rank and being a cakewars main, sometimes I get only about 20 shards in a single cakewars game it's insane! Maybe some limitations to this is...
    1. In order to trade both people will have to pay a certain amount of shards depending on the rarity of the item.
    2. Only one legendary trade per day...this means either receiving or giving away
    3. If u always trade with a certain person maybe after a specified amount of trades the price of shards will be cheaper

The only downside I see is OG's with millions of shards just giving away everything they own, but this is a great idea and hope for it to be implemented!

+1

Posted Oct 29, 2020
  3. Paying maybe 1000 shards to trade is actually a good idea. Unlimited trades is probably ok, and trading with one person increasing shards seems just tedious tbh. OG's with tons of shards and/or cosmetics can give stuff away, but that is why the idea about needing shards to trade is important. Thanks for the feedback!

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Oct 29, 2020
  4. I actually mean the shards decrease not increase sorry!

Posted Oct 30, 2020
  5. Hey! Personally and I'll say this first this idea is a +1 from me. I think this idea is really cool and definitely would give a twist and new purpose to cosmetics. For example, if someone has nearly all the cosmetics then this would be a pretty great function as it would allow those few people to get the cosmetics they don't already own or have been trying really hard to get but keep getting duplicates or a random death animation or arrow trail when they are searching for a specific particle. Though on top of all the pros for this idea there are some obvious cons that concern me which I will address in a bit. All around I definitely think that this idea could work out if we could solve through some of the issues.

Issue Number One:
    If someone owns every cosmetic or has 0 cosmetics at all and is new.

To start, if someone has no cosmetics at all this feature could deem as fairly useless to them as they have no way to trade anyway. The only use they could get out of this feature would be to be given items by random people or their friends. To add to that, if someone owns every cosmetic available then this feature would also be useless to them unless they are giving away their duplicate items to random people or their friends.

Issue Number Two:
    Another way to scam players.

Introducing an idea like this would introduce a new way for people to be scammed as someone could say "give me this for this trust trade" etc etc and scam others out of their good items and such. In addition, this could also cause people to say things like "ill give anyone 10$ if they give me -blank item-" which while that is punishable more people are inclined to fall for things like that. To follow with those two statements, most of the bedrock player base is younger and would easily fall for things like this or be more inclined to "trust trade" or fall for scams and other things and lose their items. I did see the confirm situation but even with that people could still easily get scammed.

Issue Number Three:
    It could increase spam/begging.

Personally, I would hate to go into a lobby and all I see is people saying "can I please have blank" or "give me free stuff" etc as it gets spammy and a bit obnoxious. Unfortunately, this is something that I am sure will happen from time to time and may become more common than ideal. While spam is punishable staff can't be there 24/7 in every lobby to prevent it so it is bound to happen quite a bit.

Issue Number Four:
    Bedrock doesn't have a lot of active chatters as it is.

This issue could be a good thing or a bad thing but as many people know bedrock isn't the most active when it comes to the chat system. Most console players don't use chat which results in a lot of PC and Mobile players also not using the feature often. Some people don't even know how to chat. Following this, it would be difficult to make a trade if nobody speaks. People would just be sending trade requests or trading with no idea what to give one another. Now along with that, it could have the reverse effect and instead increase the chat activity.

Don't think because of my cons and issues with this that the idea all around is bad because it's not. I could go into a lot of explanation on why I believe this idea could work out and be really nice all around! I just think before the idea could even think about being brought to the game a workaround for these or a lot of thought needs to be put into these issues first. Not just for the idea but for safety purposes as well.

Anyway, all around I think this idea was really nice minus the few safety issues and I deffo would like to see this brought to the game at some point or in some way. <3

Posted Oct 30, 2020
  6. Hey, thx for the feedback. Lemme give my thoughts on your points.

1: So, to start, if a player has 0 cosmetics, yes, they can't really trade. However, logging in through Mineplex.com will grant them an immediate crate, giving them a special item. This could be the item they start out with to begin trading, hopefully getting something better in return from someone who wants that specific items. As for the opposite, I don't think many people have ALL the cosmetics, if anyone. If they do, they can help other players with all their less valuable cosmetics, become a liked person for it, and also gain these less valuable items back through trading. I see your point with these two, but I think the community will come to help each other and find ways to make it better.

2: Scamming is the thing I want to prevent most on this. That is why no purchases with money should be made in game. In order to trade, both players will lock their trade items into the trade position, and then they will each be asked to confirm the entire trade. Both players know what they are given and receiving. Outside of game, there is really nothing we can do past having a system to report such acts.

3: Yes, I hate spamming too, and that is why I think there should be a dedicated mini server you can go to trade with people. You simply head there and find people willing to trade, and enforce the rules on the main lobby. There are other ways, but this is the best I could think of.

4: True, very true, the chat can be inactive. However, it seems very active in Survival. Even without the ability to use chat, I think we could make trading work. Perhaps going into the mini server and pressing on the player, having a text appear in front of that player to ask to trade, and having them either select yes or no. Then the contents of the trade can be shown, so both players know what they are trading. Most players probably won't accept a blind request, but all version of Minecraft are chat compatible, and it could be a good way to get the community more active and give players the want to learn to chat.

This is all very rough, but these are the best responses I could make.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Oct 30, 2020
    ShadowWolfZoe likes this.
  7. Hey there!

I love this idea. I have an excess of many gadgets that I don't use and I know other players want more than me. I noticed the issue of scamming above but I have seen the perfect solution to this on another server. The player types /trade Playername and they can type /trade accept Player1. When they do this a GUI split in half pops up and you can put your items in your half, they put their items in their half and if you're happy with the deal you can both press a green stained glass window and the deal gets completed.

As I said I love this idea, however, I don't think it would be a priority as of now. For now the plan seems to be fixing bugs and updating games. I think after all the bugs have been fixed then it would be a good time to add this since it will be more enjoyable than a bugged version.

-MC Minium

Posted Oct 30, 2020
  8. Ye, people have been telling me about the focus on the Halloween Update and bug fixes, but I hope this could possibly get added sometime after.

OP OP
  9. #Trading

OP OP
  10. I like the idea of having a system to trade cosmetics and even shards, but it makes it much easier for players to get scammed. Players could not know the real value of an item they have and get tricked into trading it, or they can get offered something then not actually receive it.

Another large issue this raises for me is actual currency being brought into the game. While players would not be able to sell cosmetics or shards for real currency in the game or on any Mineplex platform, there are ways to get around that with 3rd party forums or even dedicated in-game currency websites. I have seen this happen on multiple other games, and even on some other Minecraft servers. Bringing real life currency into the game when it comes to player-to-player is almost always a bad idea, especially when it can be easily used to scam someone.

Overall, while I like the general idea, I believe it would be too easy to scam someone with a system like this. Furthermore, it would most likely result in real currency being used to purchase cosmetics from other players, which is a big no in my book.

Posted Oct 30, 2020
  11. Well, they can't not receive a trade. The system, will work by having both players put their items up for trade and then confirming what they put up to be what they want. Then, both players will see the final trade and will have to both confirm on that. So there won't be any direct scamming. Tbh, I think most people will understand how valuable things are, because they like how it looks and know where it came from. Kids tend to be very smart with games at a young age. As for real life currency, there is really nothing to stop that beyond having a system to report these acts and get those people banned. Other than trading outside of game, it will be a very secure cosmetic trade where both players can see what they are trading and receiving.

OP OP
  12. I'm going to make an updated version of this soon.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Nov 1, 2020
  13. I see what you mean by having a 1-to-1 trading system, where both sides need to confirm the item/shards, but there are still ways to exploit people who don't fully understand the system. For instance, someone can say they want to give you 2 items for your 1 item, but then only send the 1 item for the original.

For the understanding of value, I still somewhat have my worries. When I was in Elementary and Middle school, I saw tons of kids get upset over bad trades within the games they played. It is just sometimes hard to understand the value of an item you have, if you are not very ingrained in the community.

Lastly, even if there was a report system for people who use real-life currency, there still will be instances of using real money for in-game items player-to-player. There is also the problem of who will handle these reports, and how they will actually be dealt with. Furthermore, with the Bedrock staff team being as small as it is, giving them more things to moderate would just cause more backups and problems.

So while I do see the value of having a trading system, in a game with many young kids, this is just not the best idea in my opinion.

Posted Nov 2, 2020
    Anna ♡ likes this.
  14. For the first paragraph you wrote, they won't be able to simply send the wrong thing. Both players will see the final trade when both players contents are confirmed and be asked to confirm the final trade, where they can say no if they don't see what they want.

When it comes to value, I mean, compare it with Pokemon Cards. They were something everyone traded at school. Back when I was 7, I knew how valuable each card was, and knew anyways it was still just a fun game to play. I just wanted the one that looked the coolest. Also, kids below even that age probably wouldn't even understand how to trade, and we could give age recommendations and warnings just in case.

For trading of money in real life, people who are being asked by strangers to trade money is one thing, and should be reported immediately. But if friends want to trade something for 2 dollars, it's the same as buying Pokemon cards, just fun cosmetics valuables from a game. A web of trading is something that should never happen, and scamming too, but I don't think the community wouldn't find a way around these things.

Just note I am not fully educated on how the cosmetics and community would experimentally operate given these circumstances, so nothing here is exact, necessarily correct, or permanent in thought.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Nov 2, 2020
  15. Hi, while this idea is good, you also have to think about the fact that people could just create a bunch of alt accounts and alt forums accounts and link them just to get the imperial crate. They could then probably gift this or the rewards to their main. A possible way to prevent this from happening is to make a minimum level before you can gift something. Maybe level 20? This would be to make sure that this is a real gift and not somebody spamming alt accounts and gifting themselves everything they get. I’ve also seen that others are worried about scamming, as am I. A way to prevent this is to make a trade system, where you have to put the things you want to give to another person while they do the same thing, then when both players approve the system automatically does the swap. This way you cannot simply give something to someone else and then expect them to give you another item, which they will not. Overall, if solutions to all the problems would be found, this would be a pretty good addition to the bedrock edition.

Posted Nov 17, 2020
  16. Yes the first part is a nice addition, however the second part is what I have literally put into the thing and replied to many people about. That part about trading is already in the idea. Though, thx for bringing up that first point.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Nov 18, 2020
  17. A ton of rich players on the network = Trading

+1 from me!

Posted Nov 18, 2020
  18. Oh sorry I didn’t notice that, I thought you were talking about just gifting, without the program trading the items. The way I understood it was that if you could just gift someone something, not a trade, then somebody could say, ‘Give me a pet and I’ll give you and epic arrow trail’ without having any verification that they would actually do it. That is why I suggested that the trade system would just automatically do the swap with no time in between for one player to back out and still receive the item from the other person.

Posted Nov 18, 2020
  19. Thanks you so mucha.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Nov 18, 2020