• 1056 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 10370 Players Online
  • 9314 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Not Planned Cooldown for players that abandon matches

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by Bubi, Feb 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I find it really annoying when my teammates abandon the match because they feel like we are going to lose, and when they leave I have to stay alone and fight alone. There should be a punishment for players that abandon the match.

Posted Feb 26, 2021
    Fusafez and SpitefulNick like this.
  2. Hey, this is more suited to the General Idea Discussion subforum, the help section is for questions.

As for your actual idea, this has been discussed before but ultimately denied iirc. There are many reasons why someone may leave a game, and Mineplex isn't a really competitive and serious environment where leaving should be punishable.

Some of the reasons players may leave include:
    • internet (!!!)
    • pc problems (freezing, shut downs and resets)
    • their partied friend leaves the game
    • staff members may use /vanish which appears as leaving the game and is usually done for moderation purposes
    Otherwise, they simply want to leave and there is nothing wrong with that. Mineplex games usually take a couple minutes, so it shouldn't be punishable to exit the game mid-way.

However, what is frustrating is when players leave and rejoin a game lobby to stop the counter from going off. I think a patch for this has been planned, though, and games should start anyways

Posted Feb 26, 2021,
    Last edited Feb 26, 2021
    Jylie and Amg like this.
  3. If someone's internet causes them to get kicked, they have 3 minutes to rejoin the game or they will get a cooldown.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Feb 26, 2021
    maevestarbaby likes this.
  4. What about the other reasons?

And sometimes, it might be an entire power outage or an internet reset which usually takes longer.

I also forgot to add to the list (I will now, though), but sometimes people may have issues with their pc/laptops that can cause it to shut down randomly, restart, or do other weird things like freeze to death. Usually when this happens, it takes more than 3 minutes to fix it.

Other than that, though, a lot of games would be over in 3 minutes.

Posted Feb 26, 2021
  5. Ideas like this have been suggested and rejected in the past, such as this one. One thread has an extremely detailed response as to why this idea was denied in the past by jacvb, found here, which I highly recommend reading.

We can't really punish people for leaving games. While I 100% understand the frustration, we can't always tell whether people are doing this on purpose, if they're lagging, if they accidentally clicked a chat macro that directs them to another lobby. It is also not fair to punish people for leaving a game that they may not want to play. If you feel you're at a complete disadvantage, you can leave as well.

Like @maevestarbaby said, most games aren't very long anyway, and if you are in a longer games (such as bridges or UHC), and in some games with 2 player teams, it is still very plausible to combat and win if you play strategically. I know in other games, like Bridges, this becomes harder if you're significantly outnumbered.

Punishing people for not wanting to play after a while or for out of their control reasons (say their parents wants them to get off, or their wifi cuts out), we can't prove there were unforseen circumstances. If they also expect to be afk for a while, they may prefer leaving the game and going to a lobby rather than not partaking in the game. Not everyone can rejoin within those 3 minutes if they have certain unforeseen circumstances occur.

I know this is annoying, but this is a game where people should have fun and not have to feel forced to play if they have no further interest or be punished for issues beyond their control or for just not wanting to play any further.

For the reasons above, I will have to disagree with this suggestion.

Posted Feb 26, 2021
    Amg likes this.
  6. -Thread Moved to General Idea Discussion-

Hey there @Bubi !

First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to make this thread and suggest this idea! I concur with what @maevestarbaby has said above in her well written response. In addition, I believe this idea has been discussed before and denied in the past as suggested above. While I do understand your frustration in players leaving the game, there are several reasons why one might have to leave either at the start, middle or end of a game. Some good examples were provided in Mae’s response above, but what about if a player genuinely has to leave because of irl circumstances? - Ultimately, sometimes players don’t have a decision in leaving the game and shouldn’t be penalized for it in my personal opinion. As for rejoining games in a 3 minute window time, I personally disagree with it as well. As suggested above, sometimes games are over in 3 minutes depending on what game you’re referring to. Furthermore, if someone had the chance to leave and come back in three minutes, I personally feel that they would have the chance to skip out on a portion of the game, giving them a higher chance at winning with less players near the end of the game. Thank you for suggesting this idea, but at this time I am going to unfortunately disagree with it. -1

Posted Feb 26, 2021
    Jylie likes this.
  7. What about Rose Rush, they aren't so short, and when a player leaves I can't finish my quest and get my exp. I don't really care if someone doesn't feel like playing the match anymore, they should have thought of that before they entered the match. And the cooldown shouldn't be that long, maybe like 15-30 minutes at max. If it's an internet problem or similar. And it would only count for the game you left, not other games.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Feb 26, 2021
  8. Hey there!

I think I'm going to have to disagree with the main idea here. Minecraft is a casual game by nature, but there are still some aspects that make it competitive in some cases, like games where PvP is the main goal of the game. However, I do believe some players don't take the game as seriously as others, so punishing them in a certain way by reducing their rewards or increasing their queue time would not be the greatest idea. ;)

Posted Feb 26, 2021
  9. Heyyy! I am going to be marking this ideas as Not Planned. While it's very annoying that people leave in the middle of the game, we don't want to punish them for it because a lot of the time it's not in their control. They could be having internet issues, something unexpected could have come up, or maybe they joined a game and changed their mind about playing and want to play something else. Whatever the reason is, it would be unfair to punish people for this as nearly every time someone leaves a team game and gives their team a disadvantage, they're not specifically doing it to inconvenience their team.

Thanks for your idea! Have a wonderful day <3
    Thread Locked >> Not Planned

Posted Mar 1, 2021
    nolawn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.