• 0 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • Players Online
  • 0 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Comparing The 3 Methods of Reporting

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by MrDrProfessor//_Prof_, Feb 7, 2019.

1. MrDrProfessor//_Prof_

MrDrProfessor//_Prof_

I'll be going through the pros and cons for each type of report filed. Some will be more effective in certain circumstances, some will be faster.

/report:

Pros: Very convenient, automatically logs messages for chat reports so staff can see, alerts you if the player was banned manually or by GWEN (hacking), can report for anything

Cons: Only Hero+ can use it, reports tend to expire often so many aren't looked at, doesn't log any proof of players cheating/ breaking game play offences, player could've logged off and got away with breaking the rules

Forum Report:

Pros: 100% getting looked at, can report for anything

Cons: May take up to a day to get a response, warnings won't come from there

StaffRequest:

Pros: Very convenient, usually gives quick responses

Cons: Chat and some game play offences may get excused, staff can be busy at times and not all of them are in that community

To conclude, FRs are most effective in getting someone punished for any offence. The 2 methods of in-game reporting are capable of receiving quick answers but not all rule breakers can be dealt with. Personally, I /report and StaffRequest for cheaters so hopefully they get stopped in time

If there is anything I missed, I'll add it if your point seems legitimate.

Report a User | Report a Bug | Apply For Java Trainee | Rules| My Profile

Posted Feb 7, 2019,
    Last edited Feb 16, 2019 at 1:54 PM
    Snowwii, ireallylikerats and z609 like this.
  2. ppancake

ppancake

The issue with FRs is having to record (for hackers) and actually set up an account on the forums. A lot of players are casual and don’t bother creating an account here. While I prefer FRs, I think /report is more convenient for most players.
    StaffRequest is just terrible, to be honest. It’s either complaining about lack of staff, spamming a hacker and server name, or occasionally, a moderator dealing with the reported users.

/report and FRs kind of match up, if you ask me. In /report , the hacker might not be dealt with, but in FRs you have to record and set up an account. FR is better in terms of having the rule breaker dealt with, but /report is more convenient.

Posted Feb 7, 2019
    Nightcat likes this.
  3. Cool, if I ever need to report somebody I’ll decide which one is best for the occasion.

Thank you!

Posted Feb 7, 2019
    MrDrProfessor//_Prof_ likes this.
  4. coralines

coralines

I don’t know if this changed over time, but last time I dealt with them I had to use commands that would assign one to me. Notifications were never a thing. But things could have changed over the past year.
    Can any mod+ hit me up on that because I’m kind of curious?

Personal suggestion though. Use /reports for chat offenses only, especially severity 1. Anything else, go with the forums. It’s more efficient, your evidence doesn’t get lost along the way, it will be dealt with for sure and you have better chances of getting it accepted, especially if you have read the report guide at least once.

Posted Feb 10, 2019
  5. Jaekub

Jaekub

Isn't /chatsnap a form of reporting? Or am I thinking if something else?

Posted Feb 10, 2019
  6. Marzie

Marzie

It just makes your chat into a log and the chatsnap token/link can be used in forum reports if you don't want to/can't take a screenshot. The chatsnap command itself isn't really a full on report thing.

Posted Feb 10, 2019
    Nightcat likes this.
  7. BBoy2003

BBoy2003

I applaud you for taking the time in all the research. Keep up the good work! :D

Posted Feb 10, 2019
  8. Evence

Evence

Hello!

It's fantastic to see community members creating these types of threads, as they can be very informative to new players seeking the best option when reporting potential rule-breakers. I agree that forums reports are the most effective way to report players, as your report with certainly be dealt with, and the cons are quite minimal.

For in-game reports, it is not certain your report will be reviewed, due to the volume of reports the moderation team receives. Additionally, as Marzie said, all of the staff members online do not receive notification of each individual report. Moreover, although in-game reports may be the most convenient and at times efficient, I would recommend creating a forums report as your report will 100% be dealt with.

Personally, I believe StaffRequest is relied on too heavily. StaffRequest reports are not an obligation for the staff team and should be used as a last resort. For example, if a player was constantly hacking in your game, and you have already attempted the other two methods of reporting (if /report is available), and you have not received any updates/responses, then going to StaffRequest for help is best. StaffRequest reports are the least prioritized, as staff members have numerous responsibilities to uphold, in result causing us to miss a report in StaffRequest.

All in all, it's great to see you seeking to help others in the community by creating this run-down of the reporting methods.

Posted Feb 11, 2019
  9. Ender Rivka

Ender Rivka

I like this thread, and specifically how it shows the pros and cons of each kind. It's unique and interesting to look at. Here's one more type of way to report.

Friending a staff member:

Pros: Fast response time, Reliable, Easy

Cons: Less staff to choose from, the few you have friended may all be offline.

Posted Feb 12, 2019
  10. ClassN

ClassN

Broke: breaking rules.
    Woke: reporting rule-breakers.
    Bespoke: getting over the small offenses and letting people be.

Posted Feb 12, 2019
  11. Sophie_OGrady

Sophie_OGrady

A lot of this information isn't necessarily correct so it's not a good overview of what the true pros and cons are for this method. Firstly, it doesn't show up in every staff member's chat, which a few people mentioned above. Rather, staff need to enter a command to be able to view a list of pending reports. With that being said, a con isn't it may spam staff member's chat and may therefore be lost. Your report will never be 'lost', and it stays viewable in the system unless the user logged off (for gameplay/client), staff already dealt with it, etc.

I do agree with some of yours, but instead, I'd have to lean towards -

Pros
    - Convenient/easy
    - Automatically logs messages for chat reports so staff can see
    - Alerts you if the player was banned manually or by GWEN (hacking)

Cons
    - Limited to Hero+
    - Reports tend to expire often, so many aren't looked at
    - The user can easily log off and avoid being caught (gameplay/hacking)
    - Doesn't log any proof (gameplay/hacking)

For the most part I agree with this, but you're not 100% getting someone punished - just 100% that the report will be looked at and then if it's deemed sufficient, they will be punished. I also don't understand what you mean by you can report for anything, as you can report for anything via /report as well unless I misunderstood.

In terms of cons, I don't agree with the waiting time, as typically responses are a lot faster than /report and forum reports are viewed within an hour. However, I do understand it is a longer wait than Staff Request. Users not being warned through forum reports is also valid. I'd also add that evidence is sometimes frustrating to record/upload, especially if you have really slow upload speed like I do.

I agree with your overview, the main benefit of forum report is definitely the guarantee of it being viewed, whereas the in-game ones can have much faster response times and can sometimes have the user dealt with during your game.

Posted Feb 15, 2019
    Evence and MrDrProfessor//_Prof_ like this.
  12. MrDrProfessor//_Prof_

MrDrProfessor//_Prof_

Edited

Sorry about the confusion, I meant it will certainly be viewed.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Feb 16, 2019 at 1:53 PM
  13. priestly

priestly

I don’t really think that you can truly compare the ways to report rule breakers because of their differences. /report is usually for after game if you die/game ends. Or if someone is doing a chat offense. FR is if you can’t get any staff members to spectate your game or they log off before a staff member can help. Staff Request is for mid game use and is usually the fastest way, but sometimes it doesn’t always work like you said. I like this post, but I don’t think you can truly compare them because of their differences and the way they are usually used.

Posted Feb 16, 2019 at 4:29 PM