• 2070 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 4649 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion Community Update

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by Liqhts, Jan 25, 2020.

?

Should Mineplex add community competitions?

1. Yes

83.3%
  2. No

16.7%
  1. My idea for a community update is a community tournament/competition.

Every community on Mineplex could participate, and the community leader/co-leaders would pick 10-20 people (max of 20) to participate in a server wide community tournament. The admins on the server could pick a specific competition for the communities to play for, such as whatever community can get the most SG wins in a week, whatever community could gain the XP in a week, whoever could gain the most gems, the possibilities are endless. The 10-20 players picked from each community would each be able to grind for their community and try to win. The winning community would get a sword name, a title, or whatever cosmetic for the competition is available. Another cool prize could be a MPS map for the community, different perks for the winning community, etc. Even though 10-20 people would be playing to win the competition, everyone in the community would be able to get the prize as long as they claim it once the competition is over. (The prize should be claimable to the winning community from Carl the creeper for at least a week after a community wins) To make sure that communities don’t cheat to win, mods could spectate the winning community at times to make sure they aren’t boosting/hacking. There should also be a leaderboard in the main lobby maybe? Or website? To show which communities are in the lead.

I think this would be a fun addition to communities on mineplex, and encourage communities to work/play together more.

Posted Jan 25, 2020
    Monkqy and vezay like this.
  2. Hey, I really like this idea personally. This would make people want to play more often as you'll get a prize! This also looks like a lot of fun. You get to hang out with your friends and play video games and grind to do the best. I don't know how hard it would be to track wins/xp/gems of the certain 20 players, but sounds like it would be super fun.

The only question I have is would this be once a year event or just once forever. I personally would suggest once a year to make it feel special, and not too repetitive. This would also give a chance for people that lost the tournament another chance next year.

Really like this suggestion, and hope to see it possibly be implemented!

Posted Jan 25, 2020
  3. I feel like it should be once every 3-4 months with 1 month for the competition to take place. I feel like once a year is too long of a time to wait, even though it would make it feel special.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 25, 2020
    Im_Ken likes this.
  4. Thread moved to General Idea Discussion

I think this could potentially work out really well and be a great idea. It could encourage communities to cooperate, and work together in order to achieve rewards. I also like the fact that you specified the objectives that would need to be achieved, such as 'Most EXP earned' or 'Most wins'. For the reward, I think a title or sword name would be sufficient.

I do think that 10 players is more than enough to compete in this competition. There are smaller communities on the network, and keeping the player cap too high would allow less players to get involved overall.

I feel as if once a year is way too long to wait. Once every 3-4 months is a fair wait period, which allows the events to be special, yet at the same time not happen so far apart from each other.

Overall, I wouldn't mind seeing this idea implemented. It would allow for communities to interact more and create a competitive yet fun atmosphere on the server.

Posted Jan 25, 2020
  5. I think this is a really good idea. Communities really lack a purpose right now and are generally extremely underused, but this would definitely provide the competitive aspect that they're generally just missing. My only problem would be, as you mentioned, the incentive to cheat and boost. A public leaderboard would make it harder for those people to do it and get away with it, but it's something that I forsee as inevitable anyways. I feel like I know which Community would be on top though ;)
    [​IMG]

Posted Jan 25, 2020
    Im_Ken and Blahh_ like this.
  6. I think rqil might be a bit confused because he seemed to have put a screenshot for the level100 community when he should have put a screenshot of the MapTesters Community!

Posted Jan 25, 2020
    Sickle, Xukuwu, Im_Ken and 1 other person like this.
  7. Well, he only joined MTT for trainee, so you can't expect him to be that dedicated to the team.

Posted Jan 26, 2020
    Im_Ken likes this.
  8. This seems like a decent idea, but there are a few things I'd like clarity on, if that's okay.

What if someone was picked from more than one community?

Suppose the player named KerbalBoi was in two communities, MTRT and MTRTeam. If the owners of each community both selected KerbalBoi to compete, what would happen? He'd have to pick between the two communities. Now, lets assume he chose to compete with the MTRT community. The MTRTeam community would lose a champion to compete in the competition. No worries - MTRTeam will have plenty more
    community members to fight.

Now, let's take this to its logical limit. Suppose every single member of MTRTeam is in a different community as well, and every single member decides to compete for another community. What happens to MTRTeam? They don't have anyone to compete with, and the leader of MTRTeam is unable to compete. That doesn't strike me as fair.

And if you announce this competition, I'm willing to bet that every single Eternal will create a community, and many of the old communities, will, like the "hypothetical" MTRTeam, be abandoned and unable to compete.

Posted Jan 26, 2020
    Korben likes this.
  9. Hello!
    I really like this concept, and think it would be great way to spark the use of communities more. Having a competition of this sort that is focused on one game would also be great, as the queue times for that game would probably be very short. This idea has the potential to be a wonderful addition, but I think it needs some tweaking. First, I think it would be best if the players signed up for which community they would like to compete in. This would allow the players to play for the community they want rather than whichever happened to pick them first. Next, I personally think having a maximum of 10 players per community would maximize the competition. This would allow smaller, closer-knit communities to still have a chance, while still keeping it as a larger team competition. I would not necessarily be opposed to having more players per community allotted, but just know that the more slots there are, the less communities will have a chance, and the bigger the gap will be between the top few communities. The last adjustment I will bring up is that suggested by @rqil . Having a leaderboard of the leading communities would keep potential cheating in check, while also enhancing the competitiveness by seeing how far behind one's community is from the top of the leaderboard. If possible, I would love to see a leaderboard that shows the top few contributors from each community, but I am not sure if that is feasible development wise. Overall, I think this can increase the viability of communities largely and make for a great competition. I truly hope this idea continues to gain traction, definitely a +1 from me! Thanks for suggesting this, and have a nice day!

Posted Jan 26, 2020